• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
...wait, just to make sure, we're supposed to be sympathizing with the GR, right?

Because that's what I got from the cheesy violin in the background of that scene, but not the scene itself.

I took it as you're supposed to hate the GR as an organization but sympathize with Amy Brenneman's character because she's an emotional prisoner to them.

Sanjuro

This is the first time in a VERY long time I've not watched HBO.

Is this show entertaining? Or is it just mystery hour from network ranks?

royalan

I took it as you're supposed to hate the GR as an organization but sympathize with Amy Brenneman's character because she's an emotional prisoner to them.

I know Lindelof loves mystery, but this is one of those moments where he needs to fill in a why in order for me to give a shit.

Wait...so the GR literally just broke into dozens of homes and stole all the photographs...and nobody notices? Ok

RELIGHT

Banned
Aaaaand we're done here. Nope. Not doing it anymore. Awfully written and acted tv show. Terribly terribly boring. I'm out. 'Twas fun Raptured GAF. But not really.

*Violin plays to indicate emotion*

I know Lindelof loves mystery, but this is one of those moments where he needs to fill in a why in order for me to give a shit.

Wait...so the GR literally just broke into dozens of homes and stole all the photographs...and nobody notices? Ok

Well I think they started to give you a piece of that in tonight's episode, finding out that Tom's not Kevin's son, so hopefully we find out more about what broke. her.

Then again, I'm saying this as a Lost virgin, so I don't have the history with Lindelof lots of other folks seem to have.

That Zippo being JUST out of reach at the end was fantastic, btw.

TeRey09

Aaaaand we're done here. Nope. Not doing it anymore. Awfully written and acted tv show. Terribly terribly boring. I'm out. 'Twas fun Raptured GAF. But not really.

*Violin plays to indicate emotion*

Yea, this show is going nowhere FAST. I'll wait until the season is done and try to binge watch the rest of it because this week-to-week ish is a STRUGGLE.

Dany

Banned
Tell your daughter she asked for divorce papers.

I could stand 'not telling' anyone in lost. but here, cmon now.

Was this the one episode that critics didn't receive? Easy to see why if so. Not terrible but definitely the weakest so far.

I wonder when this Tommy and Whatshername stuff will get relevant, it's probably the weakest link on the show.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Eh, i think i liked it a little better than others here but im in agreement and have been saying it all along, this is a show that teases and annoys more than anything in its weekly run. Really need to just wait and watch all at once.

KingKong

I really can't think of a character I actually like or want to see on this show. I hate the Garveys, I hate the two kids she hangs out with, I hate the 'cool weird kid' they hang out with, I hate the Garvey son who can't stop saying 'fuck', the mayor, GR, it just goes on

e: and the non stop melodramatic music, this dialogue...I think I'm done too

royalan

...Something about the AV Club review this week really bugs me.

So this was the episode that wasn't sent to reviewers for whatever reason. So most of the critics are watching the episode as we are? If that's the case, I think it's telling that a lot of critics are being strangely harsh on this particular episode. For example, AV Club hasn't given an episode a grade less than B+ before tonight, and in the review, one of the most scathing paragraphs is the following:

But I think the reason the story falls flat is less because The Leftovers made a misstep with plotting and more because they made one with character dynamics. Because I just do not care at all about the father-daughter relationship between Kevin and Jill; I care even less, if possible, about the relationship between Kevin and his daughter’s hot friend who is looking for trouble. The teenagers in this show are written very badly—they have a nihilism to them that is the kind of thing adults think teenagers are into, when in reality, those same adults are just not trying hard enough to figure out what the teenagers are up to. It’s sloppy writing that undermines the rest of the show, and it would be easier to ignore if a chunk of this episode weren’t devoted to Jill deciding whether or not she wanted to torch the plastic baby Jesus with a flaming crossbow bolt.

But none of the critique here is unique to this episode. Hell, the bolded exactly what a lot of us have been saying about the show since the pilot. Did that honestly just become a noticeable problem with this episode.

Funny...

Erigu

I believe it was reshot because of the harsh winter in NYC.
Ah, silly me. Since poor writing is the main issue with this show, I assumed that was the problem. But really, since when does that stop Lindelof?

Pre-credits sequence ends on the reveal of the missing baby Jesus, complete with loud sting.
"Am I supposed to give a shit?", later asks the main character. Good question. And apparently so, sadly enough.

Arwen isn't part of the assholes in white yet, probably because she doesn't follow the rules: instead of not saying anything, she keeps talking no matter how many times you ask her to stop. Hey, that works, too. And makes for cheap drama, thanks. There sure wasn't nearly enough of that yet.

RangersFan

As someone who enjoyed the first 3 episodes very much this episode was bad and very much in line with all the complaints people were having with the show.

So I marathoned the first 3 ep. today and finished with the 4th just now. Nope. Nope, nope, nope. Might sneak back in here in a few weeks just to see if they turn the ship around somehow but I'd be OK walking away from this forever.
I don't know how many more episodes I can watch of this...

Ok, preview for next week looks like something actually happens
you just got Lindelof'd :(

I can't say I love the Garvey kids, Jill can be frustrating especially because she's paired with her much more reasonable friend.

I'm liking Kevin and Laurie though, their relationship is pretty interesting. Laurie barely not able to reach the lighter was a good little moment..

hokahey

I like Sepinwalls review. Spot on. It's nice to see some people can appreciate what the show is about and the subtle things that all interact and serve as metaphors. It seems it's "cool" to be smarter than this show. Yawn.

I like Sepinwalls review. Spot on. It's nice to see some people can appreciate what the show is about and the subtle things that all interact and serve as metaphors. It seems it's "cool" to be smarter than this show. Yawn.

Subtle? Are we watching the same show?

Sepinwall's continual praise of this show just reinforces my already low opinion of his taste.

I didn't realize that the off-kilter nature of the characters would be the thing that ultimately hooked me. I don't need to know why the others disappeared. Things don't appear to be on a course to going back to normal. What I want to know is if the warring parties will ever come to terms or if the situation will eventually dissolve into complete chaos.

Laurie is like that because Kevin cheated on her? So she automatically forgot her son and daughter because her husband cheated on her?

This show would be so much better if it doubled down on the format used in last week's episode.

Being stuck to the stupid Garveys just sucks.

They focus on the weakest characters this episode?

Ugh, that's almost enough to put me off watching. I hate the Garveys, they are uninteresting, dull and do nothing but drag the show down with their mind numbingly dull BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom