• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm actually really enjoying this show atm. yeh yeh there's no answers and there's not gonna be a big pay off in typical lindeloff style, but for some reason the show has me hooked.

it's like lost, except the acting is better (nora, kevin, wayne & the reverend are standouts), it's not got too far-fetched, and it's kind of self aware in that it's not even attempting to answer the questions it poses (unlike LOST which got caught up too much in it's own bullshit). it's like all the questions are so abstract in concept there wouldn't even be a definite answer to them anyway, and the only pay offs we get are character based, when they find emotional meaning or answers to their loss.

the cinematography, soundtrack and general atmosphere is insanely good, like imo the best on tv atm.

that scene last week with nora meeting wayne just blew me away. as did the entirety of the reverend's story, let's hope we get more episodes like that. i do admit the garvey family episodes kind of let the show down a bit (even though i like what is happening to kevin).

dorkimoe

I'm enjoying the show. Except for the storyline with the Asian girl and the cops son and Wayne . They're useless. But Nora and the cop are awesome.

Question did Laurie's family even lose anyone? Not sure why she joined that group

GuessWho

I don't know of why but this is the first time a show makes me literally anxious. Can't describe why but maybe it's because I know that we'll never get answers and it just Fucking pisses me off yet I need to watch more.

StuBurns

Banned
Plus, it'd undermine her whole character, would it not? She's more interesting as the woman who lost everything but never joins them, rather than finally giving up and going GR.

Plus it'd negate whatever effects of Wayne's hug the show is trying to sell us on.
I guess it depends on how much she actually is hurt by the disappearance. There have certainly been hints that she very much enjoys the attention and 'power' her local celebrity has brought her. She was clearly very messed up until she saw Wayne, but I don't know that it's exactly because of the three disappearing.

I don't see her joining the GR of course, next we'll get his daughter's push back against the relationship, then he'll do something he shouldn't with his daughter's friend. We'll probably get some family forced trouble due to Garvey and Nora's brother clashing, maybe he exposes Garvey's cheating by exposing the woman he was sleeping with. Nora's safe of the GR until at least season three I'd guess.

But, in true Lindelof stuff there will be an image of her all in white, smoking, and it'll be a dream, or Halloween or whatever.

I don't know of why but this is the first time a show makes me literally anxious. Can't describe why but maybe it's because I know that we'll never get answers and it just Fucking pisses me off yet I need to watch more.

I find it weirdly stressful to watch as well. You're not alone.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Not expecting to get answers, but it's entertaining enough till American Horror Story comes back on, which will last me till Game of Thrones.

hamchan

Best part of the episode was Nora. The parts where we saw her nude and the part where she sprayed those asshole GR members, both were enjoyable.

Also I don't give a shit about the whole Wayne aspect of this show. That whole mystery is a snooze fest. At this point, all I care about is Christopher Ecclestone winning against the GR and Nora just winning in life.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Absolutely loved the dream sequence (or not!) in this episode. Really nailed the sense of dread you can feel with some nightmares.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Two episodes in and this show is so fucking weird

CrankyJay

Banned
This show is about the journey with the circumstances though of as peripheral by the writers IMO.

What a crock of shit...they pulled the same shit with LOST.

Wrote themselves in a corner and them claimed it was about the journey, and the characters.

It's fine to use a story line as a vehicle for pure character development...look at True Detective as a good example, and at least there was some sort of resolution. But Lindeloff is incapable of doing this....

Wrote themselves in a corner and them claimed it was about the journey, and the characters.

It's fine to use a story line as a vehicle for pure character development...look at True Detective as a good example, and at least there was some sort of resolution. But Lindeloff is incapable of doing this....

Okay I've only watched a few episodes of Lost and from what I could tell it was mainly focused on the various mysteries of the plot. In this show it really seems like the "mystery" of the true nature of the rapture will never be solved, certainly nothing has been hinted at yet... There was one scene which I thought was hinting at a conspiracy
(the white bodies in the truck)
but the next episode it turned out
they were just various cult members transported from the corrupt bureau.

That being said, there are two mysteries that are in focus, and that's whatever Wayne's deal is and whether Kevin's father is insane or not. I expect we'll learn about what's up with these either in the finale or next season, but if you're only watching the show to see these mysteries solved and the rapture explained then I think you're watching the wrong genre of TV show.

Kayhan

They need to stop teasing the main guy jailbaiting the girl who lives with him and his daughter.

Make something of it or drop it.

Deku Tree

They need to stop teasing the main guy jailbaiting the girl who lives with him and his daughter.

Make something of it or drop it.

I think they're gonna keep teasing it, just because it's a HBO tv show and the principle that sex sells, they do similar things on so many shows...

- HitFix: HBO renews 'The Leftovers' for season 2
HBO PR said:
HBO has renewed the drama series THE LEFTOVERS for a second season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming. Created by Damon Lindelof (Emmy® winner for “Lost”) and acclaimed novelist Tom Perrotta (Academy Award® nominee for “Little Children”), the series is produced for HBO by White Rabbit in association with Warner Bros. Television. Lindelof serves as showrunner.

“We are thrilled to bring back THE LEFTOVERS for a second season with the exceptional talents of Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta,” says Lombardo. “It has been truly exciting to see the overwhelming response to their provocative and original storytelling. We look forward to continuing the journey as the show delves deeper into the lives of those who remain.”

Currently debuting hour-long episodes on Sundays at 10:00 p.m. (ET/PT), and based on Perrotta’s bestselling novel of the same name, THE LEFTOVERS is an original look at The Rapture…or was it The Rapture at all? Set in a small New York suburb, the intimate family drama focuses on the residents of the fictional town of Mapleton, whose preconceptions are shattered in the wake of a global event dubbed “The Sudden Departure.” Three years after the fateful day when 140 million people disappeared without a trace, the series looks at the ways ordinary people react to inexplicable events that can unite or divide families and communities, examining how their untold grief and the strain of an unprecedented calamity can turn faith into cynicism, paranoia, madness or cult-like fanaticism.

Vert boil

leftovers7j1any.gif

Grizzo

Let's hope it gets better as time goes by because right now it's still a mess, aside from the character centric episodes.

Trax

Banned
If they don't reveal shit soon they're going to lose a lot of viewers. Typical Lindelof.

Honestly I don't give a crap about the mystery part since it's Lidelof and I don't trust that fucker. I'm just watching it for the characters and the drama and it's still very fucking good imo.

But they aren't writing themselves into corners, at least from what I see.

The story isn't about the mystery of the event if that's what you're getting at.

Deku Tree

I am curious. Why do people just assume that the obvious biblical explanation for the departures is not going to be the solution to the mystery that the Leftovers "goes with" in the end?

I blame Steely for this. I blame him for all of it.
Weird way of saying you're going to give me credit for this.
I am curious. Why do people just assume that the obvious biblical explanation for the departures is not going to be the solution to the mystery that the Leftovers "goes with" in the end?
The show likely won't go with a solution. Different people with believe different things, many will believe we don't and can't know what happened.

Deku Tree

Weird way of saying you're going to give me credit for this.

The show likely won't go with a solution. Different people with believe different things, many will believe we don't and can't know what happened.

That's my feeling too, but several earlier posters were discussing a possible future explanation for the mystery.

Paganmoon

Okay I've only watched a few episodes of Lost and from what I could tell it was mainly focused on the various mysteries of the plot. In this show it really seems like the "mystery" of the true nature of the rapture will never be solved, certainly nothing has been hinted at yet... There was one scene which I thought was hinting at a conspiracy
(the white bodies in the truck)
but the next episode it turned out
they were just various cult members transported from the corrupt bureau.

That being said, there are two mysteries that are in focus, and that's whatever Wayne's deal is and whether Kevin's father is insane or not. I expect we'll learn about what's up with these either in the finale or next season, but if you're only watching the show to see these mysteries solved and the rapture explained then I think you're watching the wrong genre of TV show.

Re first spoilertag:
Those were the departed's "body doubles" the "leftovers" order from a company, so they can have proper burials, not anything to do with the AFTEC.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I really like this show. I've refrained from posting ITT up to this point because I don't want to spoil myself on it but I just got caught up to the current episode. I'm glad to see that it got renewed for season 2. I know there are some mixed feelings about it.

People that are wanting or expecting 'answers' are going to be left disappointed again, very similar to the way they felt after lost. This is a show about characters not about the world and how it came to be. It's a character drama and I can say with near certainty that we won't be finding out 'how this happened' or 'why this happened'. Hell we'll be lucky to get an answer for what Wayne is or does. But I'm cool with that. I like character dramas.

Because I don't even think there will ever be a solution to the mystery, and that it's simply a set piece for the world and events.

Mashing

They need to drop the Little Wayne plot thread. Or give it some breathing room. I mean it appears to be extremely important but none of the principal players in that plot thread have gotten their own episode.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Is anyone in the show actually looking for an explanation?

Besides it being impossible, because.the event was impossible, its already been three years and most people have gone to the acceptance part of tragedy.

If they ever actually explain what happened to the departed ill be annoyed.

God, aliens, the matrix, who cares. All impossible.

Oh shit hope they don't go with aliens.

Unrelated: Did that one show where everybody on earth suddenly stop moving for a couple minutes ever get an explanation? Seems similar to this show.

Just watched the pilot. Really liked it. Apart from the party scene, which was kinda ridiculous and unnecessarily over-the-top, I enjoyed it. The atmosphere is great, some of the acting is very good, the premise is interesting and intriguing. I definitely wanna see more. It's not the best pilot I've seen this year, but it was good nonetheless. The comparisons with shows like The Event and Flash Forward that I've read here and there are totally ludicrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom