• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I actually liked Nora's sex scene. Felt adult, relatable and not gratuitous, unlike 99% of the sex scenes in any random HBO show.

Edit: I also find the actress really pretty, even she's hardly a beauty by Hollywood standards.

StuBurns

Banned
Their relationship is strangely endearing and relatable for a show this bleak and filled with awful people.

Watch it crumble in a couple of episodes. Tops.
What do you think will bring it down?

His daughter not approving, him fucking Aimee, Nora's brother, GR... So many car crashes approaching.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Aimee is TROUBLE, but that may be a bit too obvious. Every single character is a ticking bomb, so who knows. Hell, Kevin himself is already tripping balls.

Vert boil

Aimee is TROUBLE, but that may be a bit too obvious. Every single character is a ticking bomb, so who knows. Hell, Kevin himself is already tripping balls.

leftovers64mjk8.gif

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Theory:
All characters on the show are dead, and the one's who "vanished" are actually alive and having the same anxiety and sadness about missing the show's characters.

Saty

Back to the same weirdness and lameness. The show lacks footing. Yes, who'd join the GR if they are breaking into people houses? How does the group exist? Why would a woman leave her husband after he cheats on her and of all choices, she joins some cult that that she has zero reason to as far as we know so far.

Wish they would stop stringing us along over is or isn't Kevin going mentally insane. And i would hate it if they are going with the worn out angle that the madman (Kevin's father) is the one that's right and not insane at all. Don't tell me the voices he's supposedly or really hearing are those of the Departed.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 1: episode 8 "Cairo"

Kevin fears he's losing touch with reality after inexplicably finding himself in a difficult situation involving Patti Levin, a leader of the Guilty Remnant. Meg loses control during another encounter with Matt; Jill confronts Aimee about her relationship with Kevin; Nora stands up to Laurie, and finds her privacy invaded.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Theory:
All characters on the show are dead, and the one's who "vanished" are actually alive and having the same anxiety and sadness about missing the show's characters.

That wouldn't really work quite as stated as
2% of the population vanished in this reality. If we are following characters that are dead (or whatever), that means in the other place 98% of the population disappeared and 2% remain. If that were the case, they wouldn't just similarly be going through some angsty recovery, the whole of society would have collapsed.

I'm guessing I was supposed to feel something about that scene with the girls breaking up and stuff, but all I could think of was "fuck, these characters are annoying as hell."

royalan

The Twins are reacting for the audience this episode.

"Why are we doing this again?"

"Because if the woman who lost her family has a gun...then nobody can ever be ok...or something?"

Love it when a show realizes within itself that what's going on is incredibly stupid.

royalan

WHO IS TRYING TO FORGET!?

So far only the people who have received Wayne's Creeper Hug seem to be the ones trying to forget.

So the Guilty Remnant thinks everyone in the world is desperately trying to forget what happened?

Even though people hold dumb remembrance festivals and spend thousands of dollars on fake corpses of their loved ones?

How stupid are these people?

royalan

So the Guilty Remnant thinks everyone in the world is desperately trying to forget what happened?

Even though people hold dumb remembrance festivals and spend thousands of dollars on fake corpses of their loved ones?

How stupid are these people?

THANK YOU.

The motivations behind these characters and factions just don't align with what we're actually seeing.

The motives of the GR are the dumbest shit I've ever heard. They are trying to make people remember in a town where they just made the vanishing a holiday and erected a statue in remembrance just a few weeks ago? And they taunt a woman who, until the last few eps, WORKS for an agency pretty much about remembering the vanished? Really. The GR are just dicks. And why the smoking? Isn't that a "distraction"? They are dumbasses.

Season 2 can only be good news, because now they will be forced to write their own story and it will most likely be better than what's in the book.

Wait, so is the first season the whole book, and the rest is just going to be original continuations?

I thought the first season was just taking the premises, and not everything from the actual book.

Wait, so is the first season the whole book, and the rest is just going to be original continuations?

I thought the first season was just taking the premises, and not everything from the actual book.

Yeah...if that's the case I'm out. It will only get worst with original scripts. The thing is, I can deal with the fact that they will never explain the vanishing but only if the characters and story are intriguing. But neither are that at all.

Macattk15

They didn't lock Nora's front door when they left, but she used her keys to get in. Little details like that make me mad!

And this show is stupid!

I'm kinda in the same boat. I don't hate it, I look forward to it every week, but I can't really explain why I like it so much.

The realistic depiction of the rapture is very intriguing.

...but then they add annoying angsty teens, an idiotic cult, and a manic depressive dude who somehow is allowed to remain as the chief of police (or whatever he is)

The realistic depiction of the rapture is very intriguing.

...but then they add annoying angsty teens, an idiotic cult, and a manic depressive dude who somehow is allowed to remain as the chief of police (or whatever he is)

Question. Are cults ever not idiotic and retarded?

Also I don't mind teenagers having angst, its what they do, especially in a fucked up house like the one the daughter is/was living in. And Kevin being insane is a major plot point, but it's not like most of the people know what he does during the night. He's not going crazy on a public stage.

But I wonder, when Kevin went loopy on that dry cleaning place, was that sleepy Kevin all along?

KingKong

I'm kinda in the same boat. I don't hate it, I look forward to it every week, but I can't really explain why I like it so much.

I think it looks fantastic. Beautiful shots like this one for example are very common

and there are parts of it I do like, but then something like the GR snapping their fingers to point at something happens and I just think, this is so stupid

also Liv, shut the hell up

Mully

I think the question we're all left with is did Aimee actually have sex with Kevin or was she upset that Jill even asked that?

Question. Are cults ever not idiotic and retarded?

Also I don't mind teenagers having angst, its what they do, especially in a fucked up house like the one the daughter is/was living in. And Kevin being insane is a major plot point, but it's not like most of the people know what he does during the night. He's not going crazy on a public stage.

But I wonder, when Kevin went loopy on that dry cleaning place, was that sleepy Kevin all along?

Cults have always been idiotic, but at the very least, the disappearance of 2% of the world's population could give them better reasoning for existing than what the GR are saying.

And teens can be angsty for however long they want but I don't think the audience wants to see anymore screen time dedicated to Jill and her friends. (at least if they're just going to continue acting like morons)

I'm sticking with the show because
it sounds like there is going to be a good and evil dynamic happening and their city might be ground zero. And I'm almost fairly certain that the dog shooting guy who has no ID is probably Satan (or the antichrist)

Oh, Christ. I just put together why the GR has been watching people. Seeing that guy give Patti the notebook, then seeing that they're logging the times people leave and come home.

They're gonna put those fucking dolls in people's houses aren't they? I'm so weirdly protective of Nora for some reason, and I'm gonna be so upset if whatever the GR does manages to break her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom