• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good finale. Certainly very climactic, but my only problem with it is
at least one main character should have died with all that death and carnage going on.

TheOddOne

- Deadline: ‘Leftovers’ Shakes Up Supporting Cast For Season 2 As Series Moves To New Locale
The Sudden Departure event at the heart of the mythology of HBO drama The Leftovers is spreading to the cast. I have learned that a large portion of the fourteen regular cast members in Season 1 — virtually all in supporting roles — won’t be returning in Season 2 as the series is undergoing a creative reboot, moving the setting from the fictional town of Mapleton, New York to a new location.
I hear locked in to come back are most of the leads — star Justin Theroux, his onscreen family, estranged wife, played by Amy Brenneman, and children Margaret Qualley and Chris Zylka, as well as Carrie Coon, who plays Theroux’s love interest, and Christopher Eccleston, who portrays former reverend Matt Jamison. As Season 2 is still being mapped out, I hear things are still in flux and there s a possibility for a couple of more regulars to come back — I hear Liv Tyler is returning and Ann Dowd is also likely to continue — with others potentially making appearances as guest stars. Leftovers‘ Season 1 regular cast also included Emily Meade, Amanda Warren, Michael Gaston, Max & Charlie Carver and Annie Q.

Hmmmm...

I'm guessing Kevin, Nora and the daughter pick up and move to another town after the finale. It's a good way to show how other communities are dealing/have dealt with the departure, but i'd hate for them to drop the story line involving the mother and son coming back together from last season.

irtually all in supporting roles — won’t be returning in Season 2 as the series is undergoing a creative reboot, moving the setting from the fictional town of Mapleton, New York to a new location.

I'm out.

No Aimee = no interest.

And why the fuck is Liv Tyler returning? Weren't we punished enough in season 1?

Hmmmm...

I'm guessing Kevin, Nora and the daughter pick up and move to another town after the finale. It's a good way to show how other communities are dealing/have dealt with the departure, but i'd hate for them to drop the story line involving the mother and son coming back together from last season.
Amy and Chris are both listed as returning above.

Be interesting to see the plot reasons these two intertwined families end up in a different place (I guess there's no guarantee they're all in the same place).

belushy

Banned
Hmmmm...

I'm guessing the mother/son stay together and maybe try and get the family back together so they follow Kevin, Nora, Jill to whenever they move. For some reason Eccleston comes along, too.

Denton

Watched the season over the week, just finished last episode.

It was good. I swore to never watch anything with Lindelof signed under it (last season of Lost and Prometheus did that to me), but upon hearing that Max Richter is scoring this I had to reconsider (some good reviews helped).

I liked the melancholic dreadful atmosphere of it all and how fucked everyone was. I loved the score (of course). I like that this time, it really actually is all about the fucking characters, and not about any scifiesque mysteries, so there is no space to get a fucked up non-ending like in Lost. Lindelof dun good.
Guilty Remnant tho'
such a creepy bunch of crazy nutcases.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This show is weird, it's not bad enough to drop but it's not good enough for me to look forward to it.

JdFoX187

Banned
Watched the season over the week, just finished last episode.

It was good. I swore to never watch anything with Lindelof signed under it (last season of Lost and Prometheus did that to me), but upon hearing that Max Richter is scoring this I had to reconsider (some good reviews helped).

I liked the melancholic dreadful atmosphere of it all and how fucked everyone was. I loved the score (of course). I like that this time, it really actually is all about the fucking characters, and not about any scifiesque mysteries, so there is no space to get a fucked up non-ending like in Lost. Lindelof dun good.
Guilty Remnant tho'
such a creepy bunch of crazy nutcases.

The score really does a great job of elevating the show. I'm with you, I loved the atmosphere. It's rare a show is just this depressing and bleak, and I liked that.

Karu

Good finale. Certainly very climactic, but my only problem with it is
at least one main character should have died with all that death and carnage going on.
In a sense I get what you're saying, but when it comes down to it, this seems almost irresponsible. A character never should just die, because "someone has to". Since you especially said "main character", I don't think that would be all that wise at that point. People have to deal with enough shit, the death of one person wouldn't be neccessary to fill S2 at this point. I also don't think the events in the finale necessitate a major death, it's not unlogical everyone important dies, especially if we have not an official death toll.

In a sense I get what you're saying, but when it comes down to it, this seems almost irresponsible. A character never should just die, because "someone has to". Since you especially said "main character", I don't think that would be all that wise at that point. People have to deal with enough shit, the death of one person wouldn't be neccessary to fill S2 at this point. I also don't think the events in the finale necessitate a major death, it's not unlogical everyone important dies, especially if we have not an official death toll.

I don't want people to die because they 'have to', it's just that whole carnage fire scene was super pointless without anyone the audience knows/cares about dying from it. Like why did they even put in such an over-dramatic and shocking event? Seems like the only reason it was added was to add some artificial drama and excitement. It's even more pointless now that the location will be different next season.

tl;dr - IMO they either should have had a main character die in that event or scrap it entirely

No, the tone of the show is consistent. There are several great episodes in the first season that makes it worth watching. Enjoy. :)

Oh, I love the show, don't get me wrong! :) I probably should have worded my post better. I meant I got the book and will be starting it soon, and it was my understanding that the book and the show have pretty different tones (Kevin's the mayor vs. the police chief, and his mental illness is invented for the show, for example). That's all I meant!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The setting is moving from fictional Mapleton, New York to
suburban Texas.

In addition, to replace the supporting characters that it’s dropping, the show is adding an African-American family made up of righteous ex-con John Murphy; his hearing-impaired doctor wife, Erika; and their teenage kids, Evie, an athletic extrovert, and Michael, a devout Christian.

Source

TheOddOne

- TVLine: It's Official: HBO's The Leftovers Will Mess With Texas in Season 2.
As hinted at in a recent Ask Ausiello, The Leftovers will move production to Austin, Texas in Season 2, TVLine has learned exclusively. The onscreen setting will also shift to the Lone Star State from the fictional Mapleton, NY, although it’s not clear what the new town will be called (but it’s safe to say it’ll be something other than Austin).

The move is part of an overall creative revamp the show is undergoing after exhausting nearly all of its source material in Season 1 (the series is based on exec producer Tom Perotta’s 2011 novel of the same name). In addition to the geographic change, the acclaimed drama is dropping roughly half of its cast; however, leads Justin Theroux, Amy Brenneman, Chris Zylka, Margaret Qualley, Christopher Eccleston and Carrie Coon are expected to return.

A new African-American family will be introduced in Season 2 to help fill the void; casting for those roles is underway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom