• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I'm assuming the feds are going to be the villains next season

there's no way this is how they would've ended the series if it didn't get renewed.

netguy503

Did anyone else think it was stupid that Liv Tyler was acting like 2nd in command at GR? She's the newest member and just last episode (or the one before that) she was breaking the rules and wouldn't shut the fuck up, I thought she was gonna get kicked out.

Well I'm interested to see where the show goes now that we've finished the book plot, I wanna see how ridiculous Lindelof can make it.

Did anyone think it was stupid that no one cared that their leader wasn't there on a night they had been planning for quiet awhile when just the episode before (non-flashback) they were worried sick?

I expected at least some payoff...I think we can all agree 3,6 and 9 were the best episodes. Also if this was supposed to be a book, where is the resolution!?

I'm only basing this on the summary of the book's plot on Wikipedia, but if it was pretty close to what actually happens, then the show added A LOT of stuff that doesn't happen in the book.

In the book, Kevin is actually the mayor, and not on the police force.

The Guilty Remnant works very differently than in the show. The smoking, muteness, and wearing white are still there, but other than that it's just completely different. There are no organized demonstrations or whatever like what we see in the show. The mass chaos in the finale doesn't happen in the book.

Patty isn't even a character in the book. Neither is the Mysterious Dog Killer. I don't even think that dogs are a factor.

Kevin's dad doesn't appear in the book at all, let alone as the possibly-crazy former chief of police.

Holy Wayne is definitively outed as a fraud, and admits it to his entire congregation, effectively killing the movement.

After dropping the baby off on his dad's doorstep, Tommy goes after Christine, who joined a cult of barefoot people.

So yeah, the book didn't need nearly as much resolution as the show would now require.

GavinUK86

pkjmor.gif

So did I make the right decision dropping this after episode 4?

Nope. You made the wrong decision. Go watch them immediately!

Mr.Swag

Banned
So did I make the right decision dropping this after episode 4?
If you didn't enjoy at least two of those episodes then yes.
From the first four episodes I enjoyed three of them, and I ends up enjoying everything else.

There's a lot of cooler stuff happening toward the end, but its still the same show.

JerkShep

Just saw the Nora Durst episode and it's really good. Too bad the Garveys are the focus, they are hardly that interesting. The priest episode was interesting but it was so wrapped around in mysticism that it kind of failed as a character study, while the Nora episode hit the sweet spot. Definitely the best episode I've seen so far.

Stoze

Did anyone think it was stupid that no one cared that their leader wasn't there on a night they had been planning for quiet awhile when just the episode before (non-flashback) they were worried sick?

At least they called some attention to her even if it was last episode.

Other cults are probably ashamed to even be compared with GR because they so disorganized

Here's something interesting. I doubt it would happen, but what if season 2 isn't in Mapleton, and we get all new characters experiencing weird/similar stuff?

Doubt it though.

GavinUK86

Here's something interesting. I doubt it would happen, but what if season 2 isn't in Mapleton, and we get all new characters experiencing weird/similar stuff?

Doubt it though.

I hope not, BUT season one covers the entire book so now it's completely up to the shows writers they could do that. I like these characters too much though so I hope they don't.

StuBurns

Banned
I really don't know what season two will be, it feels completely pointless.

Before the dream reveal, I thought it might be a little like what season three of Twin Peaks was intended to be, but they flushed that.

netguy503

Well AICN thought the season finale would end with
the 2% coming back without knowing where they left to
. AICN is usually a very credible news site for TV and movies so that is why I spoiled that part as it may still happen, but why would they even think that would happen? The idea might of been too soon for a season 1 finale but I hope it reappears at the end of season 2.

I don't know if the GR will continue after this episode. I don't know if it even can. And that could take the show into some better places.

. AICN is usually a very credible news site for TV and movies so that is why I spoiled that part as it may still happen, but why would they even think that would happen? The idea might of been too soon for a season 1 finale but I hope it reappears at the end of season 2.

I don't know if the GR will continue after this episode. I don't know if it even can. And that could take the show into some better places.

This is true, and I agree, but I think the group will exist in some newer, mutated form under Meg. The crazy amount of anger and hate in her eyes said to me that they have plans for her character, and she'd make a great main antagonist, IMO.

pkjmor.gif

Nope. You made the wrong decision. Go watch them immediately!

If you didn't enjoy at least two of those episodes then yes.
From the first four episodes I enjoyed three of them, and I ends up enjoying everything else.

There's a lot of cooler stuff happening toward the end, but its still the same show.

Hmmm, I should go watch them then. Hopefully the second season they aren't locked down by a book.

BadAss2961

Doubt it though.
I thought about that too. I don't like the idea of rehashing the same thing through different characters and another setting. But I also don't see how they can continue this story without it becoming ridiculous, but i'll be watching.

I really enjoyed this series.

Just got round to watching the finale today. I feel like a high schooler or something to say so but the first word that came to mind was epic. I get completely engrossed in the episodes and also get what feels like an adrenalin rush watching it lol. I find it to be a well-constructed show, very good at what it's aiming for in that department.

Watched the first episode then bailed. Thinking of dipping my toe back in.

really? really?!

feel free to report back on how that went for you

Too risky: then there would only be the actors left to distract you from the inane writing.
Play the music louder, so viewers will forget that she was the one who endangered her life in the first place!
Yeah, she had to beg to take part in their "activities" in the first episode... And now, she's the leader because.

ha ha

Oh and JIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Jesus, I haven't seen such cheesy and hamfisted delivery of a line in a long, long time.

I usually don't like to get into the plot discussion and motivations of characters/acting/whatever but the thought just occurred to me, and it seems semi-reasonable in this instant, that maybe since she was breaking her silence she wanted to keep it to as little as possible (1 word obviously) and in real life too when your speech is limited you kinda emphasise the word like that imploring the person you're conversing with to understand the full meaning of what you're trying to say in that little amount. To pick up on everything left unsaid.

might have!

Patryn

That idea strikes me as a little too network-y

- THR: 'The Leftovers' Director Unravels Finale Mysteries
Tensions exploded between the citizens of Mapleton and the Guilty Remnant on Sunday's first season finale of The Leftovers.

The episode is the third directorial effort of the series for Mimi Leder, who shot one of the show's most shocking installments—the stoning murder of Gladys (Marceline Hugot)—and the introduction of Garvey Sr. (Scott Glenn) and his National Geographic magazine, a storyline on which the finale touched in Garvey's (Justin Theroux) fascinating dream sequence.

It had its fair share of metaphysical and character-driven questions: What was Garvey's wish, and did Holy Wayne (Paterson Joseph) truly grant it? How did Laurie (Amy Brenneman) and Tom (Chris Zylka) happen to end up in the same park? What's the effect of the Bible verse on Garvey, and the baby on Nora (Carrie Coon)? What's with the dog?

Leder has answers (except when it comes to the dog; she says, "you just have to read into it yourself what you bring to it"). But she says her finale's themes are those that run throughout the entire first run of the ambitious HBO drama, which will return for a second season. "I think there’s a common thread of anger, despair, grief, loss — of, is there hope for humanity?" she tells The Hollywood Reporter.

The director explains her episodes and discusses the season with THR.
Q&A via the link.

- NY Mag: Amy Brenneman on The Leftovers Finale, the Guilty Remnant, and Justin Theroux’s You-Know-What
As Guilty Remnant member Laurie Garvey, Amy Brenneman didn’t have many speaking lines during the first season of The Leftovers, but the actress has plenty to say about questions viewers might have about what her character didn’t explicitly spell out for them. So, was Laurie the mastermind behind the big Guilty Remnant plot, which fell on her to execute in the wake of Patti’s demise? “That was all Patti,” Brenneman declares to Vulture. Did Laurie tell her family where she was when the Departure went down, and that she lost the baby? “I go back and forth about that,” she says. Okay, but was Laurie as truly and fully committed to the GR as she was to her vow of silence? “She was half in and half out,” she says. Brenneman cleared up these and other questions Vulture asked in a post-finale chat, which somehow also involves twerking, dragons, and Justin Theroux’s bulge.

Blader

Sounds like they just misinterpreted the GR's plan.

Pretty sure that idea already exists in 2 shows already.

The 4400 and Resurrection.

dabig2

Pretty sure that idea already exists in 2 shows already.

The 4400 and Resurrection.

Yep, with the 4400 being the most similar. Hell in that show they also have a messianic figure. Though of course I'm sure HBO wouldn't go the superpowers route with the departed...

Krakn3Dfx

Despite the awful "American" accent he tries to portray, I love Eccleston in this show. He's probably my favorite character, and I'm not even remotely religious.

Was thrilled that he was the person Garvey was able to turn to in a pinch and rely on him to get him out of the shit.

I don't know if I even like this show, but it's going to be hard waiting on Season 2 at this point.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
This is the worst show I currently watch, but I kinda wanna see what happens.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

"The GR will never let anyone forget what happened — you can go on with your lives, but you can never move on. They’re the realists. So, are they a cult, really? It made a lot of sense in many ways. They'd rather live in reality than in denial."

Really? The GR with their pointless rituals, over the top and confusing actions, and not acknowledging the remembering people are actually doing are the "realists who aren't living in denial"?

"So, are they a cult, really?"

L-O-fucking-L.

That's some fucking grade A spin. The GR is about as stereotypical a depiction of a cult as I've ever seen on television, and I watch The Following.

Ray665

I watched this last night......I'm still like WTF did i just see. Had to hunt down this thread just to say that. WTF, every time they show one of those
Mannequins?!?
I could barely watch, so damn creepy.

I thoroughly enjoyed it.........

not sure if enjoyed it is the proper word because you dont feel good after but man I loved the weird ride it took me on.

Lets-Get-Weird-Workaholics-Gif.gif

Mully

I haven't read through the reactions, but I really loved how Season 1 ended. I'm definitely going back for a rematch.

I enjoyed how Leftovers treated it's audience as intelligent, patient people. Somethings had to be spelled out, but most things were left out in the open. It allowed the audience to be a bit more participatory and sure of its self.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Pretty sure it was for his family back.

No, he gave Laurie a "stay away" look after rescuing Jill.

The director said

What I told Justin was that he was wishing for a new beginning, a rebirth, to start over. In that moment, when Nora comes to the doorstep to leave the note and leave him and leave Mapleton, leave everything behind, she finds this baby. All she says is, "look what I found," and you can see that in the midst of all this anger, grief, uncertainty and loss, there's hope. There's the possibility of love, the possibility of a new family.

Blader

Really? The GR with their pointless rituals, over the top and confusing actions, and not acknowledging the remembering people are actually doing are the "realists who aren't living in denial"?

Yeah, I can't tell if the director is just defending the script or that's an actual worldview she subscribes to, but accepting a loss and moving on with your life is healthy and normal behavior, not living in denial. It's a little crazy and partly dangerous to suggest that spending years of your life wallowing in the memory of lost loved ones (and other people's losses too?) and forcing that onto yourself constantly is supposed to be the "realist" mindset.

Deku Tree

Finally watched it. Good final episode. One of the best episodes of the show IMO.

I hate the way they constantly tease supernatural things or people being crazy things happening and then segue into it having been a dream....

The book
is so different from the show they are almost completely different stories
and
season 2 will have to be basically written from scratch the book is done.
Oh and the book
didn't have any supernatural occurrences at all as I remember it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom