• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Leftovers |OT| Left Behind With Damon Lindelof - Sundays 10/9c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully they actually had some of this stuff planned out while creating the show. If they knew they were going to finish all the book material in the first season they must've had some idea of what they were going to do after right?

lindelof pls

Dennis

Banned
Hopefully they actually had some of this stuff planned out while creating the show. If they knew they were going to finish all the book material in the first season they must've had some idea of what they were going to do after right?

lindelof pls

Remember Lost?

Yeah.

oatmeal

Banned
Considering they already stated they won't be explaining what happened with the 'event'...

It's not LOST, it's all character drama and most people can admit that's where LOST didn't falter.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Leftovers Season 2: Family Matters Alum Among 3 New Additions

The fresh blood includes new series regulars Kevin Carroll (Law & Order: SVU) as John Murphy (husband to Erika, played by Regina King), the Garvey’s new neighbor and head of the town’s volunteer fire department, as well as newcomer Jovan Adepo as John and Erika’s son Michael, a teenager actively involved in his church.

Additionally, Darius McCrary (AKA Family Matters‘ Eddie) is set to guest star/recur as Isaac Rayney, a local palm reader and childhood friend of John’s.

Deku Tree

So I guess they are completely writing new material not based on anything? Is the book writer involved in the writing on the show? I'll be watching.

Huh, new town setting has piqued my interest. Although I'd much rather none of the original cast were returning. Have each season be its own story within an overall set universe, but I guess we'll see what happens and how they weave it all together.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I'm only basing this on the summary of the book's plot on Wikipedia, but if it was pretty close to what actually happens, then the show added A LOT of stuff that doesn't happen in the book.

In the book, Kevin is actually the mayor, and not on the police force.

The Guilty Remnant works very differently than in the show. The smoking, muteness, and wearing white are still there, but other than that it's just completely different. There are no organized demonstrations or whatever like what we see in the show. The mass chaos in the finale doesn't happen in the book.

Patty isn't even a character in the book. Neither is the Mysterious Dog Killer. I don't even think that dogs are a factor.

Kevin's dad doesn't appear in the book at all, let alone as the possibly-crazy former chief of police.

Holy Wayne is definitively outed as a fraud, and admits it to his entire congregation, effectively killing the movement.

After dropping the baby off on his dad's doorstep, Tommy goes after Christine, who joined a cult of barefoot people.

So yeah, the book didn't need nearly as much resolution as the show would now require.

I think this makes it clear to me that they will definitely adress the mystery of the departure at some point in the show and maybe even give an answer. I mean why else add all these mysterious elements like the insane(or maybe not) father and the dog killer and the weird animals in general when it wasn't part of the books? Wayne also definitely didn't give me the impression of being a fraud in the show.

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if a 2nd departure happens at some point

Karu

My favourite show of last year and while I don't rank one season-shows in my "of alltime"-list it would sit around in my Top 5 right now (Which currently is, in order: The Wire, Emergency Room, Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine).

So.. can't wait for the second season. Gets the premium HBO slot it deserves.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think this makes it clear to me that they will definitely adress the mystery of the departure at some point in the show and maybe even give an answer. I mean why else add all these mysterious elements like the insane(or maybe not) father and the dog killer and the weird animals in general when it wasn't part of the books? Wayne also definitely didn't give me the impression of being a fraud in the show.

Let me tell you about Damon Lindelof...

I don't think the show will ever provide crystal-clear answers on the true nature of the departure, but I wouldn't be surprised if, as someone else predicted, there's a second departure.

And if that happens, perhaps the show's characters could at least begin to draw some basic conclusions about why certain people have been selected. A clearer pattern could start to develop with a second departure.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I could see the final episode of the series ending with a second departure, but I would be surprised if we got to see the fallout of said departure.

A second departure would be boring.

I'd rather see a return of some people. Or just one person and see how the world reacts to this person returning. Do they become a prophet, do people begin to worship them and consider them as a way into heaven?

I don't know, I'm rambling, but I a second departure seems a little boring. I like the idea of the departure being completely random with no pattern or reason behind who left. A second departure would threaten to ruin that mystery.

One of my ongoing nitpicks with this show is that it severely underplays how society would react to something like this.

As far as I'm concerned it would be pure chaos and society would break down very quickly, though perhaps not irrevocably. I just couldn't possibly see society exhibiting the overall level of restraint shown on the show, especially given the religious elements involved.

I mean, I guess it's respectable that the show isn't going down the path of every other post-apocalyptic work of fiction, but at some point, I think the stakes need to be raised a bit. Whether that's a second departure or something else entirely, I'd welcome it.

Yeah, I definitely agree they didn't do a good job in conveying how much the departure really impacted the world.

Perhaps just show some news segments with parts of the world going through social turmoil or something to give the sense that some serious just happened and not everyone is cool with it.

Patryn

From what I recall, I think Lindelof has gone on record as saying they will never explain the departure or where they went.

I went into the show knowing that and I think it helped my enjoyment because I wasn't expecting an answer.

Crud

Banned
One of my ongoing nitpicks with this show is that it severely underplays how society would react to something like this.

As far as I'm concerned it would be pure chaos and society would break down very quickly, though perhaps not irrevocably. I just couldn't possibly see society exhibiting the overall level of restraint shown on the show, especially given the religious elements involved.

I mean, I guess it's respectable that the show isn't going down the path of every other post-apocalyptic work of fiction, but at some point, I think the stakes need to be raised a bit. Whether that's a second departure or something else entirely, I'd welcome it.

The end of season 1 had like a whole neighborhood on fire people where on edge all the time, and everybody was just flat out weird. I don't care to see total destruction and all that.

Pretty sure the book doesn't say where they went either.

I don't mind not knowing so much, but they need to make the world and the characters compelling enough for me to to not question it so much.

The end of season 1 had like a whole neighborhood on fire people where on edge all the time, and everybody was just flat out weird. I don't care to see total destruction and all that.

To be fair, that was because of the Guilty Remnant, not so much because of the departure.

Although I guess you could argue that the GR is basically acting as the chaos element that everyone is trying to suppress and move on with their lives.

Frog-fu

Banned
I don't need to know why the departure happened or where the people went, and I wouldn't be opposed to a second departure or people returning. So long as the show stays good, it doesn't matter. I want to know more about people like Holy Wayne. Not necessarily so much in how they got their powers, but really how many of him there are out there, why he is being targeted and why he wanted so many kinds. That's the type of stuff I'm interested in learning.

Patryn

I don't need to know why the departure happened or where the people went, and I wouldn't be opposed to a second departure or people returning. So long as the show stays good, it doesn't matter. I want to know more about people like Holy Wayne. Not necessarily so much in how they got their powers, but really how many of him there are out there, why he is being targeted and why he wanted so many kinds. That's the type of stuff I'm interested in learning.

I suspect they'll drop the Holy Wayne plot. It really felt like they weren't sure what they wanted to do with that whole arc. It felt disjointed and kind of ended abruptly.

Frog-fu

Banned
I suspect they'll drop the Holy Wayne plot. It really felt like they weren't sure what they wanted to do with that whole arc. It felt disjointed and kind of ended abruptly.

I think it added a fairly compelling and somewhat necessary mysticism to a world where 2% of the entire population suddenly disappeared. I actually thought the way Wayne blended into the story at later points worked really well and felt organic. And not just him. I almost forgot about the old man. Garvey Snr has some weird connection to spirits or something as well.

Whatever he and Wayne are, whatever their purpose, if the show isn't going introduce a larger overarching plot that ends somewhere, I can see how'd it make sense to drop those type of plot lines, but I think the show would suffer for it by not being as interesting or unpredictable.

Erigu

Whatever he and Wayne are, whatever their purpose, if the show isn't going introduce a larger overarching plot that ends somewhere, I can see how'd it make sense to drop those type of plot lines
Would have made even more sense not to introduce them in the first place.

Patryn

I think it added a fairly compelling and somewhat necessary mysticism to a world where 2% of the entire population suddenly disappeared. I actually thought the way Wayne blended into the story at later points worked really well and felt organic. And not just him. I almost forgot about the old man. Garvey Snr has some weird connection to spirits or something as well.

Whatever he and Wayne are, whatever their purpose, if the show isn't going introduce a larger overarching plot that ends somewhere, I can see how'd it make sense to drop those type of plot lines, but I think the show would suffer for it by not being as interesting or unpredictable.

I think they'll continue the Garvey Sr. plotline.

I just don't think they'll call back to Wayne. They included him because he was in the book, and I think they knew some of the beats they wanted him for, but at best it feels like he was in his own story that only occasional intersected the one we were watching.

I suppose in a way that makes it more realistic, because it's clear that something was going on with him, but my point was that I think that disjointed feeling came from the writers not knowing how to connect the dots, so they just said screw it and instead he popped up where he was needed without much explanation for how he got there.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Season 2 starts on October 4.

After last season’s elaborate Memorial Day initiative by the Guilty Remnant plunged Mapleton into chaos, season two of The Leftovers finds many searching for a fresh start. Kevin Garvey (Justin Theroux) has retired from his post as chief of police of Mapleton and is moving his new family to Texas. With him is Nora Durst (Carrie Coon), who’s discovered new purpose in caring for the baby she found on Kevin’s doorstep and welcomes leaving behind Mapleton and the incredible tragedy she suffered there. Equally eager to leave the town she grew up in and the friends she made there is Kevin’s daughter, Jill (Margaret Qualley).

Upon their arrival in Jarden, Texas, the newly formed Garvey family meet their neighbors, the Murphys: John (Kevin Carroll) and Erika (Regina King) and their teenage twins, Evie (Jasmin Savoy Brown) and Michael (Jovan Adepo). Attracted to this special town and hoping for miracles for his whole family, Matt Jamison (Christopher Eccleston) has moved with his wife, Mary (Janel Moloney), who still suffers from consequences of the terrible car accident on October 14.

Meanwhile, Kevin’s ex-wife, Laurie Garvey (Amy Brenneman), has left the Guilty Remnant and reunited with her son, Tom (Chris Zylka), who may have finally discovered a cause to help replace the pain in his heart. And while Meg (Liv Tyler) remains in the Guilty Remnant, it may not be the same cult she originally joined.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
More season 2 details:

The place Kevin Garvey and Nora Durst move to is a town where no one has disappeared.

“If Season 1 was about a family falling apart, then Season 2 is about a family coming together.” said Lindelof.

Another big reveal coming out of today’s session was that
Ann Dowd’s character Patti Levin, the leader of the Guilty Remnant’s Mapleton chapter, “isn’t dead,” Lindelof said.

“When we wrote the script for Episode 8, Patty dispatched herself by a violent means,” he said. “The uniform reaction from every member in the cast and HBO was ‘What are you doing here?!’ We said, ‘Believe it or not, she’ll still be on the show.’ We don’t plan to use her as a Shakespearean ghost; someone who comments on the action. She’s in the show, but we don’t really want to talk too specifically about how she manifests.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom