• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official 2009 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread

JWong said:
It just keeps piling up.

Hope it beats GTA's 2007 numbers.

It already has if you take into account every site that picks a GoTY award. There's a site that keeps track of all of them and GTA4 ended up with 32 while U2 is already at 48.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
1. Uncharted 2

Treasure hunters have given videogames their most iconic heroes. Lara Croft. Mario and Luigi. The guy from Zork. Onto that Mount Rushmore we now chisel the stubbled mug of Nathan Drake, the rakish soldier of fortune at the center of this interactive Raiders of the Lost Ark. The gameplay demands that you do more than kick ass like Indy. You have to think like him, too, whether strategizing a museum heist or solving puzzles amid Tibetan ruins. The propulsive plot is unpredictably gonzo. The goal: find Marco Polo's lost treasure. The enemies: a Serbian war criminal...and yetis. The final destination: the fabled city of Shambhala. Uncharted 2 is deliciously overstuffed, powered b dynamic storytelling and amazing graphics. You'll be dazzled by the set pieces, but what you'll remember most is having experience a real story, rip-roaringly told.

2. Assassin's Creed 2

"Grand Theft Auto" as historical fantasy.

3. The Beatles: Rock Band

4. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2

A game that leaves you shocked and awed.

5. Batman: AA

A lavishly produced, wholly original entertainment not some half-assed superhero movie tie-in.

6. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10

The golfing great's newest Wii simulation is a sports-genre masterpiece.

7. Forza 3

Forza 3 is so ridiculously souped-up and complete, you may not need next year's model.

8. Left 4 Dead 2

A cheeky B-movie chiller brought to R-rated life.

9. Wii Sports Resort

It's a tropical carnival of all-ages whimsy.

10. Scribblenauts

An ingenious little game that becomes as big and wild as your imagination can allow.

WORST games of the Year

1. Sexy Poxer
2. Leisure Suit Larry
3. Watchmen

These are entertainment weekly that I typed up.

siarraweb

i've been doing the same exact topic on a forum where i'm at.. :D

here are all the sites/magazines that gave the goty that i've gathered so far

uncharted 2

youremgn
gamekult
spike TV
g4 tv (x-play)
associated press
bng
cooltech
yahoo
cnn
sixthaxis
destructoid
d+pad
feedyourconsole
gamingbolt
vg arabia x 2 (both the site and the readers)
G1 (all the brasilian press joined all their magazines and uncharted 2 was the most voted)
terminal gamer
the tribune
loading reality

and a few minutes ago, eurogamer.PT gave the goty to uncharted 2 as well.

killzone 2

gamesreaktor.se

batman arkham asylum

gamefocus
outerspace (a brasilian site)

dragon age - origins

gamefocus (tie with batman)
gamasutra
gamezone

modern warfare 2

machinima
times magazine
gamespy
videogamer.com

assassin's creed 2

whatifgaming

demon's souls

gamespot

i hope it helped a bit

EDIT: holy crap, I just noticed I have to give the links.. i'm on it :p

EDIT2: aw, **ck it, don't have the time nor patience.. i got tired right on the first link :lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I don't want to ruffle any feathers but...is it me or is Uncharted 2 really overrated? Keep in mind that I hate Gears Of War and God Of War too. Bland as hell, fluff franchises, all 3 of them.

Salazar

TheCardPlayer said:
I don't want to ruffle any feathers but...is it me or is Uncharted 2 really overrated? Keep in mind that I hate Gears Of War and God Of War too. Bland as hell, fluff franchises, all 3 of them.

You'd have to give more detailed, cogent criticism (something people can argue with) to ruffle feathers.

Thanks for the big list, siarraweb.

I'll add the ones that were the editors' choices, and excluding the reader vote ones. It's not really a media pick if the media doesn't pick it, right?

GAF gets a special exception when our GOTY voting is done.

EDIT: What is cooltech? CNN doesn't name a single GOTY, but picks by genre. The Chicago Tribune named MW2, not UC2.

Lothars

TheCardPlayer said:

It's just you, Uncharted 2 is easily one of the best games of the year.

Kujo

Good Game (AU TV) - Uncharted 2

"A beautiful cinematic masterpiece with a compelling single player campaign, top notch co-op, and hectic multiplayer, it's a triumphant celebration of gaming that keeps you coming back for more. A unanimous vote in the Good Game office and a clear winner in the viewers pole, Uncharted 2 is hands down our game of the year."

AniHawk said:

This guy is pretty awesome

WORST TREND IN PUBLISHING Charging full $60 retail for the new installment in a renowned franchise and then delivering meager amounts of single-player content. I’m thinking not only of Modern Warfare 2, which is easily finished in under eight hours, but even also of Halo 3: ODST (for Orbital Drop Shock Troopers), which can be completed in under six, or fewer by experts. It is true that both games have much longer legs with their online multiplayer modes, but that is not a substitute for a more involved, narratively meaningful single-player campaign. ODST, in particular, felt like a rip-off to many players.

Someone in the gaming media that's actually concerned about the lack of focus on single player content? We need more people like this!

Virro

I haven't really looked at overall trends in GotY voting until this year, but it seems like its a bit imbalanced in UC2's favor this year... and by a bit, I mean landslide. Is this normally what happens or is it typically more of an even split between a few games?

AniHawk

Virro said:
I haven't really looked at overall trends in GotY voting until this year, but it seems like its a bit imbalanced in UC2's favor this year... and by a bit, I mean landslide. Is this normally what happens or is it typically more of an even split between a few games?
Eh, this is close to what usually happens. Was a bit more even last year, but still favored the western-developed blockbuster game that makes us realize games are art over everything else.

It's been really lopsided before. In 05, RE4 ended up with 33 GoTY awards while the closest competition had 4 (a tie between SoTC and GoW). Right now Uncharted 2 has 56 GoTY awards while it's closest competition has 13 (Batman). Again, this is based on a site that takes into account every GoTY award and not just the ones from major sites.

Next year has potential to be pretty lopsided also as Team ICO has become more and more of a press darling over the years.

siarraweb

Cheesemeister said:
Thanks for the big list, siarraweb.

I'll add the ones that were the editors' choices, and excluding the reader vote ones. It's not really a media pick if the media doesn't pick it, right?

GAF gets a special exception when our GOTY voting is done.

EDIT: What is cooltech? CNN doesn't name a single GOTY, but picks by genre. The Chicago Tribune named MW2, not UC2.

here's cooltech...

and cnn, humm.. can't find in the site the top they made, it was a top of a lot of thing, top10 movies, top 10 games, top 10 news, etc etc.. weird.. oh wel..

the triibune i was talking is not the chicago nor new york, but the los angeles i think, but I can't seem to find the link too .. bah, I should've kept the links..

Noshino

Joystiq's pick

UC2

Of course, the best thing about Uncharted 2 isn't dying and reloading a checkpoint. It's almost falling, almost getting run over and almost being able to stop playing. Yes, it's all a linear, sometimes literal tunnel of fun that entirely ignores fancy emergent gameplay and the consequent "this cool thing happened to me" water-cooler stories. But by shoving the hero through meticulously assembled action sequences and spectacular near-death scenarios, developer Naughty Dog has guaranteed that this cool thing happened to all of us. We were all Nathan Drake and we were all almost killed by that train.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/01/joystiqs-top-10-of-2009-uncharted-2-among-thieves/

SF4 won some GOTY? Compared to SC4 and it's character customization, create-a-character, and deep gameplay system, SF4 is markedly shallow. I thought Capcom would continued to improve on the dept of 2-d fighters, like it did in the past with the ism/groove system, but boy was I wrong. This game clearly set 2-d fighters back 10 years. Not only that, but several missing moves per character, which is inexplicable. SF4 isn't even better than Alpha 3 or CvS2, which are 10 and 8 years old respectively.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
palpabl_purpura said:
SF4 won some GOTY? Compared to SC4 and it's character customization, create-a-character, and deep gameplay system, SF4 is markedly shallow. I thought Capcom would continued to improve on the dept of 2-d fighters, like it did in the past with the ism/groove system, but boy was I wrong. This game clearly set 2-d fighters back 10 years. Not only that, but several missing moves per character, which is inexplicable. SF4 isn't even better than Alpha 3 or CvS2, which are 10 and 8 years old respectively.
Calling SF4 shallow compared to Soul Calibur? :lol :lol :lol

Firestorm said:
CBC - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/12/29/top-video-games-year.html

CBC is the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Canada's equivalent of PBS or BBC.

You listed two irrelevant points and then just left it at "deep gameplay system". I think you should learn about what makes a fighter shallow, then talk.

Let's see,

SC4 has: armor breaking, guard impact, at least 30+ moves per character, 8 way run, character customization, create a character, etc

SF4 has: Missing moves from alpha/SF3, Shoto-spam, grooves/-isms- oh wait, those were taken out.

Newsarama.com - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Uncharted 2 is not just the game of the year on the PlayStation 3.
Uncharted 2 is not just the game of the year 2009.
Uncharted 2 is the best game so far on this generation of consoles.

The single player campaign lasts about 15 hours, but like any good movie, you can play it over and over again without losing much if any of the excitement. The multiplayer is one of the best MP experiences on the PS3 yet; strategy runs alongside simple hand-eye coordination to provide not just a unique experience, but a fun one. The game also pushes the limits of the PlayStation 3, with incredibly lush, gorgeous graphics and sound that immerses you completely in the fantastic worlds. The story is one of the best cinematic experiences presented in a video game. The gameplay improved on the original in every way. This is about as perfect of a game as you could hope for, and makes the PlayStation 3 a must-own system, just for the opportunity to play this game.

http://www.newsarama.com/games/091229-Games-Best-2009.html

Kittonwy

Banned
practice02 said:
sony has more money to spend rocksteady doesn't.

Uncharted 2 is simply a better game.
Indifferent2.gif

J-Rzez

practice02 said:
sony has more money to spend rocksteady doesn't.

I disagree. This isn't like MW2 winning something here, Uncharted 2 is just a flat out amazing game, easily at least the game of this gen so far.

Glad to see Uncharted 2 being a run away winner here. Superior game, deserves everything it gets as that game you can tell the devs put their hearts into with the attention to detail along with pushing the tech, the story, and how well the characters are developed.

I can see thinking another game deserves game of the year, but I don't understand the argument that Uncharted 2 somehow isn't worthy. It's unquestionably a top-notch game.

El-Suave

M! Games - German magazine:

1. Assassin's Creed 2
2. Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2
3. New Super Mari Brothers Wii
4. Trials HD
5. Uncharted 2
6. Spirit Tracks
7. Batman: Arkham Asylum
8. Resident Evil 5
9. Colin McRae: Dirt 2
10. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story

Don't like that list personally, they have a Top 25...
http://www.maniac.de/

Top Bottom