• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you rate Xbox Games Showcase 2024?

How do you rate Xbox Games Showcase 2024?

• Total voters
866nviZ.jpeg
Proud to say I don’t know if that’s an insult or a compliment…

March Climber

Gold Member
But people pissing on great looking new announcements for what. War?

A game can look good AND people can not be interested at the same time. So much shitposting it's too obvious, doesn't get called out enough
Part of it is usual edgelord behavior.
Part of it is culture warring.
Part of it is console warring.

A melting pot of all 3 makes it seem like a well of negativity. We just have to bear through it until either personal changes are made or those people move on to something new. I'm just glad more people are noticing.

Last edited:

mitch1971

Gold Member
Good show because it wasn't full of cringe garbage between show reels. Just trailer after trailer for the majority of it.

If your playing games as an older gamer or as a new games, this showcase was probably as good as it gets. There's some new ips and existing ones that should satisfy many people. Plus many of the ones coming to gamepass gives people a good opportunity to try out many of games from the different genres. I know ill play the Doom, gears and what not but there were a few in there that i'd interested to try- that 90's game with the 3 kids from Annapurna studios looked interesting and i digged the soundtrack.

THE DUCK

Banned
Pretty sure Spencer said during and after the several acquisitions that they have no interest in making existing games that exist on multi-platforms away from the other platforms. So i think Doom, Fallout, more than likely elder scrolls as well (though we'll see about that depending on the rumored Starfield ps5 version) would still make it to PS5. If their new IP catalog makes its way to PS5, then yeah.

That being said, if its on gamepass day 1, why wouldn't people think of that as a major perk over spending 70 bucks (100 if your Canadian like me) on every title.

They said what they needed to say to get approval, once they owned it the tune changed extensively. They basically said elder scrolls would be elusive.

I agree, thier plan is to make gamepass the carrot to still try and get people to buy xbox.

Perrott

• Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 | Looks good
  • Doom: The Dark Ages | Looks good, but I was expecting a reboot set in medieval times, not a regular sci-fi Doom but with some fantasy costumes
  • State of Decay 3 | Bad trailer and an underwhelming showing four years after its reveal
  • Dragon Age: The Veilguard | Bad trailer, writing and character designs
  • Starfield: Shattered Space | DLC, don't care
  • Fallout 76: Skyline Valley | DLC, don't care
  • Expedition 33 | Generic
  • South of Midnight | Strong showing of uninterrupted gameplay
  • World of Warcraft: The War Within | DLC, don't care
  • Metal Gear Solid Delta: Snake Eater | Something about it doesn't look or feel right
  • Sea of Thieves: Season 13 | DLC, don't care
  • Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn | Generic, looks like shit
  • Age of Mythology: Retold | The worst game in the series
  • Perfect Dark | Strong showing, loaded with gameplay
  • Diablo IV: Vessel of Hatred | DLC, don't care
  • Fable | Same kind of trailer as last year, don't repeat the same joke twice; should've shown gameplay as other XGS games did
  • Fragpunk | Generic, looks like shit
  • Winter Burrow | Generic
  • Mixtape | Generic
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 | Ok
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Cold Road | DLC, don't care
  • Life is Strange: Double Exposure | Creative bankrupcy and they're messing with the lead from the original game
  • Indiana Jones and the Great Circle | Strong showing
  • MechaBreak | Generic, looks like shit
  • Wuchang: Fallen Feathers | Generic
  • Avowed | Continues to... not look good
  • Atomfall | Generic, looks like shit
  • Assassin's Creed Shadows | Looks... alright?
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl | Continues to look intriguing
  • Gears of War E-Day | Amazing reveal and concept, although weird and concerning that they're not continuing and wrapping up the storyline of Gears 5
  • No handheld tease or announcement
  • No Square Enix, Capcom or SEGA reveals from their Japanese HQs
C

phant0m

All those who voted F.
Did the showcase gave you cancer or killed your dog or something?

Seriously.

Nah, summary of the complaints appear to be:
  • Too woke(?)
  • No Xbox-only exclusives
  • Too much CG, despite half the games showing extended in-game footage
  • Too many games not coming until next year
  • Too many games missing that won’t come out for several years
  • Too many execs they don’t like (Phil, Booty, Bond)

Did I miss any others?

Last edited:

KaiserBecks

B++

Strong show, Indiana Jones looks much better than last year, so does Avowed. Realy enjoyed the Fable trailer and Mixtape was a nice surprise. No release date for State of Decay 3 is a disappointment though, also wished there was an announcement for a Gears collection, e-day seems like it’s at least two years away. Very much looking forward to finally playing Stalker 2.

Leonidas

A.

It had the feel of a good E3 conference.

And it made me feel great about my $350 Xbox Series X + Forza Horizon 5 Premium bundle last year.

I got a disc drive and a ~$50-$60 download for $100 less than a 1 TB Series X digital.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
xbox saved summer game fest this year.

Also explains why it was such a disappointment in the showcases for the past days….all the neat games are in Xbox showcase

Have to admit it, they pulled the cat out the bag in full force with that showcase.

Best conference from Microsoft since 2009..

For the first time in a very long time, I think it's safe to say just like how Arsenal F.C. have dropped their 'bottlers' moniker, Xbox has dropped their 'has no games' tag too.

Well done, MS! It only took $70bn 😉

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 | Looks good
  • Doom: The Dark Ages | Looks good, but I was expecting a reboot set in medieval times, not a regular sci-fi Doom but with some fantasy costumes
  • South of Midnight | Strong showing of uninterrupted gameplay
  • Perfect Dark | Strong showing, loaded with gameplay
  • Indiana Jones and the Great Circle | Strong showing
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl | Continues to look intriguing
  • Gears of War E-Day | Amazing reveal and concept, although weird and concerning that they're not continuing and wrapping up the storyline of Gears 5
C

• Perrott | Rates the show as a C despite seeing 7 good games in a 1-hour show. Strong showing of ingratitude

C

Perrott

• Perrott | Rates the show as a C despite seeing 7 good games in a 1-hour show. Strong showing of ingratitude
C
There are individual good games across all events, but the quality of a show is the sum of everything that's in it, meaning that strong reveals or showings can be dilluted over the course of an hour plus show by poorly shown, bad-looking or simply uninteresting stuff.

Senua

Gold Member
B, loads of great games but some shite looking ones inbetween.

What the hell is with the terrible framerate on animations gimmick people are doing now? I saw it on 2 games in the showcase

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Didn't watch, but ngl, the trailers looked good.

Xbox fanboys deserve this W.

The good news is this is likely a win for everyone. Xbox and PC players obviously, but many of these games will likely come to Playstation down the line as well. Not to mention Switch 2.

Great games for everyone sounds like good news to me.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I was not expecting much, and have been blown away. Best games event I have seen in possibly a decade. Maybe Xbox has some juice left after all.

Still, I wish the new Series X Digital was redesigned to be smaller. Also, does the old Series S now get cheaper? When it’s on sale, it’s one hell of a value. Good pickup for Black Friday / Prime Day sales.

Also, no Blue Dragon Remaster after all?

Last edited:

phant0m

B, loads of great games but some shite looking ones inbetween.

What the hell is with the terrible framerate on animations gimmick people are doing now? I saw it on 2 games in the showcase

I have same question, and was wondering if something was up with my stream. Maybe some weird mismatch between in-game (VRR) and pre-rendered framerate or something?

Idk was really off-putting but I’m not worried about it until reviewers confirm it’s actually present in game.

Senua

Gold Member
I have same question, and was wondering if something was up with my stream. Maybe some weird mismatch between in-game (VRR) and pre-rendered framerate or something?

Idk was really off-putting but I’m not worried about it until reviewers confirm it’s actually present in game.
No it's the game Devs doing a stop motion kind of effect, the games were running at 60 but the animations were way lower. The one with the black girl looked fucking horrible in cutscenes where the frame rate was reduced. It's an awful effect

twilo99

I guess that’s what a 90 billion dollars investment gets you .. still way overpriced for the amount of content but alright

Dick Jones

Gold Member
High C but still a C. Can you honestly say you saw something you'll be talking about for years to come? That happens from an A show or Konami's infamous E3 show. I didn't watch the COD showcase because I have no interest in it. The show needs to wow for a higher rating. Being better than two other shows (Geoff's and PS) doesn't in itself merit a high rating.

Some of the games coming soon should show more gameplay. Some of the games announced years ago should now have been announced. Its not a surprise to see a promo of a game announced a few years ago. I'd have preferred nothing earlier. The problems with announcing too early I suppose.

Matt Booty's speech...Holy fuck!!! Rewatch and cut out all the ABK and Bethesda games talk. He just ignored most of the older studios who contributed to this very show. There was even stage where he could have thrown a bone like Sea of Thieves. Why does he still have a job?

Sarah Bond eating the shit sandwich to announce new SKU for consoles that have flatlined with the general public. 600 for a 2TB Xbox? The fucking nerve.

simpatico

Strong B+. Fable still looks like complete ass and Dragon Age is giving Concord a run for it's money when it comes to who's the biggest gaming lolcow of 2024, but the Gears trailer was perfect and they showed a lot of good games. Doom being exclusive would have made it an A.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
It was mixed for me.
Highlights
Expedition 33 (visual direction and gameplay both)
New Perfect Dark is apparently a ME clone (I consider that a good thing :)), visually pretty solid too.
South Of Midnight (Visual highlight of the show for me - even though I am not entirely sold on the stop-motion style of animations. Not sure why they decided to copy Kena gameplay elements though - was that so popular?)
Mixtape (visual/audio)

Lowlights
Snake Eater (framerate issues, visually uninspiring, and presumably a literal retread of originals - why is this being made again?)
Indiana Jones (I don't know what happened here - I can't find anything good to say)
Life Is Strange (I thought this would be a highlight but... no, just no...)

Nothing else stood out as memorable (or I don't remember it at all). So I guess it's a C/B, as there's more highlights than lowlights.

clarky

Gold Member
The State of Play wasn’t their “show”. Comparing apples to a 3 course steak dinner.

State of Play FAQs :State of Play is our video program, showcasing all the latest updates, announcements and new trailers from the world of PlayStation.

Seems like the same thing no?

Edit : then they do the showcase which usually these days is a deap dive on one title?

Last edited:
Solid from Microsoft and I liked how they actual had in-game footage from these trailers as we used to bash them for constant Gc trailers.

Not going to lie, MS walked over Sony and some of the graphics looked top notch, Fable was surprisingly good.

This was an easy “A”, if not an S-tier show. But I’m sure certain fanbois will continue to find reasons to slag on what is the best show in years by any company, full stop.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Haven't cared much about the Xbox ecosphere for a while and wasn't expecting much, but it was honestly pretty great. Solid B for me.

Top Bottom