• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 at PSX - Impressions, Gameplay, etc.

JimiNutz

Banned
Graphics are best I've seen and setting is interesting but I'm massively disappointed that the environments arent more destructible.

I thought one of the big selling points of the game were the soft body physics on everything?
That feature would have really made the game stand out and set it apart from everything else.

It's what I was most excited to see :(

thelastword

Banned
Looked amazing, the detail and IQ is gonna be a toll order for other games coming out in 2015, maybe with the exception of uncharted 4. It seems, when someone knows how to play, the game really shines through. That 1080p video showed how much better the game plays when someone can aim, the stealth and melee look very nice as well. It was a day one purchase anyway. I can't wait to see some of the locales and levels in this game.

Come on. Don't be silly.

He's clearly suggesting that we avoid sharing opinions on gameplay until you actually touch the gameplay.

That's a bit ridiculous. We can get a pretty good idea of how a game plays from footage alone. Not a perfect impression, but it's enough to give one an idea of how it'll play. And it's not like 1886 is doing something new in terms of mechanics, so it's even more ridiculous to suggest we don't share opinions on gameplay until we've played it.

Then again, it's EmptySpace making those claims, so it's not surprising. Dude's on hard defence the past couple of days.

Footos22

That's a bit ridiculous. We can get a pretty good idea of how a game plays from footage alone. Not a perfect impression, but it's enough to give one an idea of how it'll play. And it's not like 1886 is doing something new in terms of mechanics, so it's even more ridiculous to suggest we don't share opinions on gameplay until we've played it.

Then again, it's EmptySpace making those claims, so it's not surprising. Dude's on hard defence the past couple of days.

Well tbh sunset overdrive previews made it look boring as shit. But we know how that turned out.

Yeh because saying the "gameplay sux" for a game you've yet to play really makes for quality debate and discussion.

I was blown away by U4's dynamic combat demo. But you're right, this is an irrational assessment for a game that I have yet to play. How could I prematurely judge/be hyped about u4 when there's no rational discourse to follow since I haven't yet had my hands on preview?

Well tbh sunset overdrive previews made it look boring as shit. But we know how that turned out.

The only difference is that Sunset wasn't like other recent games that you could easily compare it to. It's one of the few games you actually need to play to comment on the gameplay experience as its approach to traversal is such a fundamental aspect of the gameplay.

I'd argue it's like NMS in that respect. It's a game that has to be played and experienced first hand. A game like 1886 isn't doing anything new (outside of the dynamic QTEs), so it's easier to make a comparison to other games in the same genre as we have a good idea of how certain mechanics will work and what the overall gameplay experience will be like.

they had to build a build, and that takes time and effort away from development.

Every other developer out there seems to manage it, though.

Besides, surely they have had preview builds. They've been showing something to press every few months, but somehow it never reaches the public.

Every other developer out there seems to manage it, though.

And RAD couldn't, this time round, for whatever reason. It's as simple as that.

Besides, surely they have had preview builds. They've been showing something to press every few months, but somehow it never reaches the public.

Mitch Dyer of IGN was literally saying how all they've played of The Order in the past several months was the same effing build, every single time. (from E3)

They've brought the same demo to events, to the press, and showed the same thing over and over and over.

Footos22

The only difference is that Sunset wasn't like other recent games that you could easily compare it to. It's one of the few games you actually need to play to comment on the gameplay experience as its approach to traversal is such a fundamental aspect of the gameplay.

I'd argue it's like NMS in that respect. It's a game that has to be played and experienced first hand. A game like 1886 isn't doing anything new (outside of the dynamic QTEs), so it's easier to make a comparison to other games in the same genre as we have a good idea of how certain mechanics will work and what the overall gameplay experience will be like.

Sunset overdrive wasn't doing anything new. It just did it well. It's just got a mixture of ratchet and clank with element of infamous traversal. With ratchet and clank bouncing and an added air dash. Hardly revolutionary. Just fun. With enemies that are basically remodeled grim from resistance.

The order is basically gears of war with added cinematic flair. But when gears is out and is basically the same thing I'm sure ppl will be posting randyjizz.jpeg

I always love it when someone says you can't judge how good a game is based on previews and video footage, and they'll then say 'day one' in another thread. It works both ways.

BeeDog

Catching up late with the PSX stuff, and The Order is looking so much better than before, even if I've only seen the short kitchen segment so far. What sold me was the insane "oomph" to the combat; both the feedback and the weapon sounds seem to be utterly amazing. Add the graphics on top of everything, and I'm quite sold... Though I cannot deny that RaD has done a piss-poor job in selling this game to people.

Sunset overdrive wasn't doing anything new. It just did it well. It's just got a mixture of ratchet and clank with element of infamous traversal. With ratchet and clank bouncing and an added air dash. Hardly revolutionary. Just fun. With enemies that are basically remodeled grim from resistance.

The order is basically gears of war with added cinematic flair. But when gears is out and is basically the same thing I'm sure ppl will be posting randyjizz.jpeg

A mixture of R&C and Infamous traversal?

That is about as far as you can get from how the traversal works and feels in Sunset.

I think most of us have played games long enough to be able to get a feel of the gameplay from gameplay videos. That said, I don't understand all the hate The Order got. I think the gameplay videos we have seen looks great, but I like these types of games.

Chabbles

ibcuE0IW0MWYbj.png
]

Im getting flashbacks to chapter 10 in TEW, NO!!!!

Some Nobody

I always love it when someone says you can't judge how good a game is based on previews and video footage, and they'll then say 'day one' in another thread. It works both ways.

Meh. Some people are fickle. They'll see this or that and write a game off, but then later find out more about a title and go, "Oh, NOW I'm interested." But people who are positive about a game usually have to see some pretty bad stuff to write it off.

This is my way of saying I'll always lean positive.

Majanew

Banned
I was really expecting it to look better, honestly. And the claim of the game using soft body physics -- I thought that would be shown off by now. Was it cut?

What's with the goofy shadow on the environment?
LURtufN.png

Loudninja

A different kind if preview

I saw it myself, the moment I had a chance to play The Order: 1886. It’s striking. Even the demo astonished me. While I love the look of PS4 and Xbox One games, I can’t get over the uncanny valley aspect of it. It nearly made me question my romancing of Solas in Dragon Age: Inquisition. But here, with The Order: 1886, there was no awkwardness. Everyone looked amazing.

Do you know what struck me, as I began playing? When Galahad rappeled down the Agamemnon, you could see his feet rest on the blimp and leave impressions. I almost wished I could control how far he would jump, because I loved seeing the impressions and shadows. I never thought I would marvel at lighting in a game, but I did in The Order: 1886.
I couldn’t help but wonder if the ambiance even helped my performance. As I said earlier, I’m not very good at stealth games. With shooters, I only excel if I set it to super-idiot-baby mode. With The Order: 1886, I found myself being pulled in and forced to pay more attention in the nicest ways. I dawdled during my initial exploration of the Agamemnon, because I was marveling at the inside of the blimp. I stopped and pored over a music box, on the off chance it had something to do with the story.

When it came time to sneak past guards, I feel like The Order: 1886 made it easier to be patient. The score is incredible. The lush, elaborate orchestrals mesmerized me, yet also seemed to help me focus. I felt like it almost helped me control my pace when I was creeping around.

The same happened with action segments. As I played The Order: 1886 demo, I feel like it helped me understand why I don’t do as well in some third-person shooter and stealth games. The fact that I was taking things slow, to enjoy the music and sights, made me realize I sometimes rush through other games.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/06/order-1886-hands-ambiance/

Dawg

I wonder how bad the insta-fail stealth parts really are. I remember Steve Burns also mentioned that as a negative in his FarCry 4 review and it still got an 8/10.

So I'm kinda confused when he starts his preview with:

But its moment-to-moment gameplay is so old-fashioned I'm surprised it doesn't require an 8MB Memory Card (For PlayStation2) to save.

Only to mention the insta-fail stealth parts as the biggest example. I kinda expected bigger examples than just the stealth-section, especially if you're using hyperbole like "a game that's ancient in both setting and mechanics."

That said, I've played the game before and I do agree with some of his complaints like the neverending spawns of enemies and a bit of grenade spam. But yeah, when the game lets you loose and the gunplay really comes forward, the game can be fun.

Still curious how this one will turn out.

The games big problem is that it does absolutely nothing unique for a new IP. Typically when you get a new IP you want to set it apart somehow, but they have done nothing but essentially focus on the setting. Even if the core gameplay is similar to other games, most companies seem to know to try and stand out for something.

Frillen

So even though I hate the fucking black bars I'm still hyped for this. One problem though. The Witcher 3 comes out just a few days later, so I will probably not buy this day one. Sony should've released it eariler in the month.

UrbanRats

Everyone already answered the question you asked me but there is a particular part nearing the end of the game where there are multiple clickers I play on the hardest levels. Seen = Insta Fail.

Yeah, not really what "instant fail" means, dude.

Also, AC's stealth is shit and often criticized for it.

Insta-fail stealth is annoying, if the stealth mechanics aren't amazingly deep.

yEZ0Mj.gif

shootouts in a confined space feels more intense.

less area to cover, but less area to navigate safely as well.

can't believe people are ribbing this game because of it. it makes for a different gunfight feel.

I am getting a Doom 2 vibe when he reloads that double barreled shotgun, and that's a good thing. I still don't like the aspect ratio though.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Glad to hear that it's seems to be coming together. They still need more monsters and creepy settings though. Hopefully it's something we haven't seen yet.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why can't they show this game well? It is PERPLEXING to me. Like the way they started showing it at the conference.

Here's 20 seconds of an out of context cutscene. Ok now here is the CEO of the company.

WHAT THE FUCK? Why would you do that? You showed nothing at all in the cutscene other than that the graphics are amazing.

Other footage looks very nice.

Why can't they show this game well? It is PERPLEXING to me. Like the way they started showing it at the conference.

Here's 20 seconds of an out of context cutscene. Ok now here is the CEO of the company.

WHAT THE FUCK? Why would you do that? You showed nothing at all in the cutscene other than that the graphics are amazing.

Totally agree they don't know what the strengths of their own game are, makes me think there isn't any? I've seen zero innovation and nothing that makes story sense.

It is extremely puzzling to me as well.

OsirisBlack

Banned
I was really expecting it to look better, honestly. And the claim of the game using soft body physics -- I thought that would be shown off by now. Was it cut?

What's with the goofy shadow on the environment?
LURtufN.png

Soft body physics is still in the game its running the ABEL physics engine also the game does look better than that shit picture you posted. Why is it everytime someone tries to downplay any game they find the worst picture possible?

yGbZAvb.jpg

gBGdrI8.jpg

Cu3Y48J.jpg

wQYLHzY.jpg

UbMzhB8.jpg

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Yeah i agree, it's fucking stupid. This is has nothing to do with not wanting to spoil the game anymore. I understand that they want to keep as much as possible a secret but at least show us something, they act like the whole game is a big spoiler, i mean what the fuck? the game comes out in february... at least let people record videos from your 30 minutes gameplay demo at PSX, they had the same old shitty gameplay demo for all those events like E3, Gamescom, TGS etc. now with Playstation Experience they have a new gameplay section but people outside of PSX are not allowed to see it? Unbelievable. The marketing for this game is such a terrible mess.

Honest question: what ever happened to the soft body physics applied to everything? We ended up never seeing that come to fruition.

Graphics are best I've seen and setting is interesting but I'm massively disappointed that the environments arent more destructible.

I thought one of the big selling points of the game were the soft body physics on everything?
That feature would have really made the game stand out and set it apart from everything else.

It's what I was most excited to see :(

This is my one big disappointment. Before they showed any gameplay, they made a big deal out of destructible environments. They even did a closed-doors preview with the press where they showed it off and everyone who saw it was very impressed. It was gonna be this game's big innovation, so I'm to see it's not hear.

I'm still very excited for the game. It looks graphically mind-boggling, and the gameplay looks solid. I appreciate games that create solid and fun experiences by refining old gameplay styles. So it's not like every game needs to be some earth-shattering change in the way I perceive what video games are capable of. But I can't deny that I was excited for seriously working in high-level destruction into a TPS. It would fit so well in a cover-based game.

Totally agree they don't know what the strengths of their own game are, makes me think there isn't any? I've seen zero innovation and nothing that makes story sense.

It is extremely puzzling to me as well.

Yeah i agree, it's fucking stupid. This is has nothing to do with not wanting to spoil the game anymore. I understand that they want to keep as much as possible a secret but at least show us something, they act like the whole game is a big spoiler, i mean what the fuck? the game comes out in february... at least let people record videos from your 30 minutes gameplay demo at PSX, they had the same old shitty gameplay demo for all those events like E3, Gamescom, TGS etc. now with Playstation Experience they have a new gameplay section but people outside of PSX are not allowed to see it? Unbelievable. The marketing for this game is such a terrible mess.

Maybe it's not a very long game/is short of content, so anything they do show is genuinely considered a spoiler?

OsirisBlack

Banned
"Almost"?

My thoughts exactly.

It might change as UC4 nears completion, but The Order is quite a step above UC4 at this point.

agreed.

Honest question: what ever happened to the soft body physics applied to everything? We ended up never seeing that come to fruition.

The game runs the ABEL physics engine and everything in the game is rendered with soft body physics. They did demo it just not to the public, I hope they do before the game releases. Andrea clarified this a while ago on Twitter he did say that not everything is destructible but anything that moves in the game is using the ABEL physics engine as well as anything that can be destroyed.

Edited to add

Will have impressions of this game today.

Conduit

Banned
Dammit. Pre-order canceled. J/k. :)~

That is a tad disappointing. I feel the lack of co-op of any sort is a legitimate critique. I was under the impression the campaign was co-op but it just didn't have co-op horde mode(s).

How lack of co-op can be legitimate critique if developers chose not to implement it?

Top Bottom