• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order: 1886 Gets New Direct-Feed Screenshots From Obama

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's 52 pages
I don't hate myself that much to read that many arguments :p
I'll put it this way; read the impressions. Stay away from the arguments and conspiracies, because they're silly. The impressions will give you a good idea of how ludicrous the gameplay claim is.

If it becomes the most discussed, it won't be lowest selling game.

well there are a lot of preorders for the game at my work place. but its also Russia so I don't even know if it means something. That said we had the same amount of preorders for both GTA v and TLOU. I even wonder that we have like four times less the number of preorders for Bloodbourne

It depends where, I've barely heard any noise about this game outside of GAF. And most discussed on GAF doesn't mean much in the real world.

I'm interested to see how it does outside of the usual locales with good sales tracking info, personally.

Having kept up with RAD, their press tour for this game, as well as Sony Asia travelling and promoting this game at Philippines, Singapore, Malaysia, etc... There's quite a bit of effort being put into the Order at a global scale.

I can't remember the last game where the game feels like it's receiving this kind of concentration of marketing from Sony.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'll put it this way; read the impressions. Stay away from the arguments and conspiracies, because they're silly. The impressions will give you a good idea of how ludicrous the gameplay claim is.

Big thread, which one(s)?

Might help latecomers if you could link a few.

Friend of a friend (of a friend) was able to get a copy from Walmart. Thinking about making the ~45 minute drive in the morning when I get off work to see if I can pick up a couple of copies. This is around Atlanta, btw.

Damn, I was gonna try Walmart today, but there's nothing more disheartening than seeing the game on display, asking for it, then scanned at the register and getting denied. Has happened to me like 4 times at my Walmart, still may make the drive up there tomorrow.

jediyoshi

Scores are a great indicator of the persons thought on the game.

Not really, they're reflective of a normalized summation. It's why there are outlets that separate the role of review writer and who comes up with the score which will then be based on the actual words of the review.

GHG

It's going to be worse because review scores will be out.

There will be a review thread for that shit.

Can't wait for the inevitable giantbomb 1/5,or a Jim Sterling 4/10 and then for those with preconceived notions to latch on to those lower outlier scores.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Haven't gaf members who have proven they own the game debunk The time thing? You are doing some grade A shit posting.

I'm going to do this to prove my point. The youtuber also owns the game (the one claiming the 1.5-2.5 thing), and uploaded his entire playthrough to youtube. So his evidence is actually stronger than a few pictures technically. I'll post this here to sum up what I'm arguing it's a pointless argument I know.

It's pretty clear what he's saying. YouTube guy says 1.5~2.5 hours of gameplay (probable exaggeration) and for whatever reason, less intelligent people interpreted that as a claim that it takes only 1.5~2.5 hours to complete the game from start to finish, and started talking about playthrough lengths in a desperate attempt to debunk.

He just called that kind of bullshit for what it was, even if the YouTuber's claim in the first place is also bullshit.

But I'm not "shitposting" or trying to spread bunk, I'm just talking about how the tactics used to shoot down negative thoughts or impressions are ridiculous and reactionary. I don't believe the youtube guy, but I also won't write something off immediately.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Not really, they're reflective of a normalized summation. It's why there are outlets that separate the role of review writer and who comes up with the score based on the actual words of the review.

Ok so let's put this in perspective.

I like the game Littlebigplanet 3, I also like the game rayman legends.

So it's either like or dislike in this case? That's it? IMO Legends is a 10 and LBP3 is a 7. You don't have things you like better or worse than others? Number scales make perfect sense for this reason.

Still crazy a thread about screenshots went over 100 pages lol

By the way is there any news/confirmation by RAD about a day 1 patch for the game?

potam

Banned
Damn, I was gonna try Walmart today, but there's nothing more disheartening than seeing the game on display, asking for it, then scanned at the register and getting denied. Has happened to me like 4 times at my Walmart, still may make the drive up there tomorrow.

best bet is to just claim that someone told you to come pick it up over the phone. I was able to get Skyrim early from a Toys R Us. When I showed up, the manager was like, "nope, can't do it." I feigned ignorance and was like, "I just drove 30 minutes here because I was told I could come pick it up." He ended up doing it for me. That one was true though.

When is the review embargo up?

19th...not sure on actual time if that's what you're asking.

GobFather

Jeez you're really struggling to follow along and luckily the poster above summed up my argument nice if you care to read it.

How many people responded "omg its 1.5 hr"? really?... Because your statement was.. confusing.

I understand what the poster said, he clarified what YOU were trying to say. But my point all along has been that no one was accusing you... well until ME :D

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The only thing I know for certain about The Order is that some of the dialogue is questionable. ... Not terrible, just questionable. I can instantly tell the difference between someone who's versed in 18th century speak and someone who isn't. The overall structure is more or less right but the flavour needs a little adjusting. The problem arises from the misconception that those of higher education use big words or 'narrative' centric words most of the time. I've seen many examples in the small clips I've allowed myself to watch. I'm not prepared to scout out those clips again because I really don't want to accidentally spoil anything for myself.

Here's an example of what I mean. I can't remember exactly how the conversation went:

"We will look into this conundrum' (trying to sound 18th century)

"We will look into this problem." (how he would have said it)

It's a similar problem to when people throw in 'spiffing' or 'dear chap' in order to sound upper class.

Everything else I've read and seen about this game is telling me to buy it.

best bet is to just claim that someone told you to come pick it up over the phone. I was able to get Skyrim early from a Toys R Us. When I showed up, the manager was like, "nope, can't do it." I feigned ignorance and was like, "I just drove 30 minutes here because I was told I could come pick it up." He ended up doing it for me. That one was true though.

19th...not sure on actual time if that's what you're asking.

If this snow clears up, gonna try this tomorrow and see what happens. Worth the attempt I think.

Verendus

Banned
It's not strange at all. For me it stems from a place of fairness. It was about getting my early gaming memories stomped on. Really, being an immature adolescent MGS fan/forum dweller was tough shit back in '06. lol The only loyalty I had back then was with my following of the MGS, and even though PlayStation PR outright lied about what was being shown on their E3 conferences, I still associated the brand with assured quality. It was frustrating having to wade through people moaning about the decision to make MGS4 an exclusive because PlayStation as a brand was practically dead, etc, etc... I just associated MGS with PS and all my early gaming memories, so it soured me to have to read so much negativity.
I should've ended this in the last post instead of being greedy. You legit ruined the punch line with this response. Such a good set-up too.

Hope your game breaks before you finish.

FATALITY

Banned
There will be a review thread for that shit.

Can't wait for the inevitable giantbomb 1/5,or a Jim Sterling 4/10 and then for those with preconceived notions to latch on to those lower outlier scores.

i remember this guy shitting quantum break demo because of the exploding red barils.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
How many people responded "omg its 1.5 hr"? really?... Because your statement was.. confusing.

I understand what the poster said, he clarified what YOU were trying to say. But my point all along has been that no one was accusing you... well until ME :D

And again I've never said anybody accused me in this thread, god damn man I told you that, I even linked you to a seperate order thread where I have been accused. I'm just pointing out how quick and reactionary the fanbase can be. It runs to levels of paranoia seriously. There are trolls sure, but not everyone is trying to dump on your precious game. Some people like me are genuinely hoping this game turns out great. Read my history in order threads if you really care to, it will absolutely show that I want this game to be great.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Osiris, Rapier, Lurgan all said the 1.5-2.5 hour gameplay claim is bullshit

here's one

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=152102135&postcount=4683

That post doesn't really shed too much light on the matter, honestly. I'm sure the original claim of 1.5 to 2.5 hours was exaggerated, even considering the YouTuber said he wasn't counting the QTE stuff, but "very few cutscenes and lots of action" doesn't exactly tell me how much of that one hour he spent actively interacting in the game. Nor do I know his skill level and if any of that was dying/reloading, etc.

I'm sure there's plenty to the game, but I don't really see how that constitutes a debunk.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
I should've ended this in the last post instead of being greedy. You legit ruined the punch line with this response. Such a good set-up too.

Hope your game breaks before you finish.

I don't get it. D:

Do I wanna know the punch line?

Purest 78

I'm going to do this to prove my point. The youtuber also owns the game (the one claiming the 1.5-2.5 thing), and uploaded his entire playthrough to youtube. So his evidence is actually stronger than a few pictures technically. I'll post this here to sum up what I'm arguing it's a pointless argument I know.

But I'm not "shitposting" or trying to spread bunk, I'm just talking about how the tactics used to shoot down negative thoughts or impressions are ridiculous and reactionary. I don't believe the youtube guy, but I also won't write something off immediately.

As it stands there are more people in this thread that say it's BS. So One youtuber is more credible Then multiple gaf members in this thread? Unless you're saying people are lying it seems you have an agenda.

Ok so let's put this in perspective.

I like the game Littlebigplanet 3, I also like the game rayman legends.

So it's either like or dislike in this case? That's it? IMO Legends is a 10 and LBP3 is a 7. You don't have things you like better or worse than others? Number scales make perfect sense for this reason.
Saying something is a "10" for you is a completely arbitrary thing. What a 10 is for you can be very different than what a 10 is for someone else. A person may focus on certain aspects more, grade harder, have weird tastes, be biased by fanboyism, etc. The best way to gauge a game is by reading detailed impressions, not reading some idiotic score.

GHG

As it stands there are more people in this thread that say it's BS. So One youtuber is more credible Then multiple gaf members in this thread? Unless you're saying people are lying it seems you have an agenda.

Let people believe what they want to believe.

Whatever keeps him alive I guess.

i remember this guy shitting quantum break demo because of the exploding red barils.

Jim does good work, but he can have some questionable opinions and methods at times. Don't recall him talking much about The Order 1886, but I feel like he'll be more positive than what is being suggested.

Edit: Helps that he's able to get a review out by embargo/before game is released officially. I've found that stuff that may not even affect gameplay like that can color his reviews.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

He actually stated that he thinks the exact opposite if you cared to read.

Obviously you didn't, since you and others are completely misunderstanding the point of his post.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

Well I absolutely don't and if you want to interpert it that way, that's fine, but you're being paranoid and only proves my point that people are getting too defensive. Yes I agree there are more impressions stating otherwise which is why I agree with it. That being said the impressions are coming from a thread that is about a game and a lot of the impressions could likely be coming from people who are straight up hyped for the game. I'm not arguing for youtube here, I'm arguing for the idea that we don't really know anything yet, we don't know the general consensus on the game, just relax across the board with how people are feeling about the game. If somebody thinks the game may not be great don't jump down their throat stating reasons why they're wrong.

The most frustrating part is my track record would state everything otherwise in regards to an "agenda" in a sense that I'm a sony leaning guy, I can't help but have an attachment to their 1st party games, and it's been that way since the ps1.

GobFather

And again I've never said anybody accused me in this thread, god damn man I told you that, I even linked you to a seperate order thread where I have been accused. I'm just pointing out how quick and reactionary the fanbase can be. It runs to levels of paranoia seriously. There are trolls sure, but not everyone is trying to dump on your precious game. Some people like me are genuinely hoping this game turns out great. Read my history in order threads if you really care to, it will absolutely show that I want this game to be great.

didn't see that thread, you said you were but.. didn't know you DID post it.. but it's a big forum... so it's not surprising if someone does accuse you lol I know it's a quick and reactionary fanbase, but like you said... it's both sides. There were many people who genuinely wants the game to turn out good, just as you.. and were as critical as you. But they didn't start using "defense force" and etc. From reading your comment, I thought someone WAS accusing you, until I backtracked. Just like you're jumpy from previous threads, I"m sure others are as well. So if I've jumped to any conclusion.. sorry. Guess we're all jumpy in these kind of threads :/

FATALITY

Banned
children-pray.jpg

god help us!

the order threads are something else

Baalzebup

GobFather

No kidding, me either. Just a sign this thread has been going on FAR too long.
i dont get the obama jokes

I think it begun with Cosmic's quote about mediocre games...

Driveclub, evil within and dragons dogma are basically the definition of mediocre. If The Order is as average or below average as the titles you mention it doesn't deserve higher scores.
which lead to these responses:
A lot of games are mediocre. Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, FFVI, DMC4, MGS4, Jay Z, McDonalds, Obama etc.

Obama's metacritic is in the 30% so I don't know how you could say he's mediocre.
Half of America voted for Bush, so they're crazy. That leaves us with 50%. So if you're 30% overall out of only a viable 50%, you're just over half, which puts you in the realm of mediocre.

Dat Math.

Thanks Obama.
Thanks Obama
I could be wrong LOL >_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom