• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerTapTap

I think just like some of the posters here said, it would be considerably lower. I think unless the game has top tier TLOU level writing, cinematic focused titles are not received as favorably as back in the day.

U2 and MW2 certainly influenced a generation of games that flooded the market try to imitate the success. Even the successors to those games were scrutinized.

Yeah, but U1 & U2 seem to have lead that charge, in an alternate universe where Uncharted was a new IP I think there'd be a lot less cinematic games of that sort as well. Certainly wouldn't be Tomb Raider 2013. This game feels like it takes a lot from uncharted (presentation more than setting/gameplay) as well

x-Lundz-x

Maybe this thread should be locked and then unlocked once te embargo lifts? It's going to be nothing but gifs and concern posts and we are going to have 40 pages before any other scores drop....

I'm really hoping if this thread can't manage a discussion, maybe the OT will be filled with some discussion of people's impressions of the game, but I have this feeling the OT will be filled with people trying to share their YouTube "impressions."

Well, I'll definitely stop talking about the potential nature of the thread, just commenting on how it seems like people want it to go into crazy town. That can be amusing, sure, but I'm interested in the game so I hate seeing every thread like this turn into a circus. Anyway, eager to see more reviews.

I-hate-u

Yeah, but U1 & U2 seem to have lead that charge, in an alternate universe where Uncharted was a new IP I think there'd be a lot less cinematic games of that sort as well. Certainly wouldn't be Tomb Raider 2013. This game feels like it takes a lot from uncharted (presentation more than setting/gameplay) as well

Agreed.

BriGuy

Kind of expecting to see this land firmly in the low to mid 70s. It's a pretty game, but the whole third-person cover shooter genre is worn out in my opinion. Gears of War just barely got away with it for three games, and 1886 doesn't look like it really does anything to break that mold.

I'm expecting low to mid 70s metacritic, 5/10 from polygon and an entertaining thread
This is what I'm thinking will happen, too. Just too much out there right now for it to get all 9s and 10s. Mostly 8s, some 7s, less 9s and probably zero 10s.

Not bad for the first in a franchise but hopefully they get the message and address shortcomings in the inevitable sequel.

Hmm whats your opinion Gaf have the $150 premium edition preordered and im not rich what say you yae or nay?

I figured the sculpture and book with blood vile was cool however id hoped the game would help justify the cost a bit.However now it looks like maybe rental/used buy later especially cause single player only so would love to hear opinions.

If nay maybe ill give someone here a shot at it before returning it.

That stuff is never worth it, in hindsight. Especially for $150. Might even affect your opinion of the game to be more positive than an year later because of sunk cost fallacy. If you're not rich and don't have the disposable money to throw around, maybe just get the game. I'm sure the toy will be sold later separately.

Well, I'll definitely stop talking about the potential nature of the thread, just commenting on how it seems like people want it to go into crazy town. That can be amusing, sure, but I'm interested in the game so I hate seeing every thread like this turn into a circus. Anyway, eager to see more reviews.
Agreed with the bold for sure!

Definity

2015-02-1721_31_09-anx8k99.png

lol, Andrea seems like a cool enough guy.

This is what I'm thinking will happen, too. Just too much out there right now for it to get all 9s and 10s. Mostly 8s, some 7s, less 9s and probably zero 10s.

Not bad for the first in a franchise but hopefully they get the message and address shortcomings in the inevitable sequel.

I wonder why RAD didn't slap together some type of horde most for those that absolutely need an online mode.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That stuff is never worth it, in hindsight. Especially for $150. Might even affect your opinion of the game to be more positive than an year later because of sunk cost fallacy. If you're not rich and don't have the disposable money to throw around, maybe just get the game. I'm sure the toy will be sold later separately.

I'm getting the CE but only because I want the soundtrack and steelbook and I was able to buy the game with a gift card and that's just the $80 edition. I would not recommend people pay huge amounts for CEs of new IPs unless you're somehow getting a discount.

oti

Banned
The French just hate American video games, that's why they didn't give a 10/10.

Am I doing this right?

Mifec

I watched the full
hours playthrough of this game on YT and I don't think it's gonna review great outside of sites that always give exaggerated scores. The just ok gameplay riddled with QTE's (11 mins is a lot believe it or not) just doesn't make for a great game. The graphics can't really save it.

Stove

Banned
Well, the first review could not have been any more anti-climactic. However, I think the review sums this game up well when it says that whether or not you like this game depends on why you like video games. To some people this is going to be one of the best cinematic experiences the medium has to offer, and to others it's going to be everything wrong with modern games. One thing is certain, it's gonna be interesting.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
In terms of Metacritic I think it'll do better than Killzone Shadow Fall (73) but worse than Infamous Second Son (80).

I wonder why RAD didn't slap together some type of horde most for those that absolutely need an online mode.
Given that the game had already been delayed once, they probably had other priorities.
Not this one?

Gamespot Review - Zelda: Twilight Princess.

The fallout from that one review sent repercussions throughout the internet lol.

Exactly six years ago*, GameSpot reviewed The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.
Looking back at it now, I probably would have rated it lower, personally.

Rembrandt

Banned
guessing mid 70s/low 80s.

got kinda hyped reading the impressions thread, so who knows. Seems like a lot of my complaints are still valid, but I still wanna play it.

They did not have the man power to do so.

sounds as believable as the dev saying Driveclub was delayed because of the hud.

Revven

The madness is only beginning... this thread is going to be a massacre on Thursday.

We will all be met with a terrible fate.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I hope this game scores well just so some people will look foolish for dismissing it without playing.

It can score well across the board, and carry a 90 Metacritic, and it will be hated even more. It's going to be hated by people regardless of what reviews say, because minds are already made up.

Gestault

Admittedly, a "last stand" sort of horde mode event, with leaderboards for survival times could be pretty cool. Like, maybe a big enough section of city that there are a handful of obvious strategies, but not worrying about having X number of maps for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom