• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PS TV can now run every single app/game without restriction (via simple hack)

Absolutely loving Touch My Katamari on it...minus it being super-easy to activate the touch with the dual sticks. Digging Uncharted and Monkey Ball too.

SaiyanRaoh

Why am I only getting one email from the Wololo site? There are supposed to be three. I followed the instructions on the site. After the one email I click the photo and exit which wipes the settings and I go back to the email app and there's no other emails.

SURGEdude

Took my pstv round a mates house today to play some games. All I needed to take was the console and a USB cable for power (he had controllers and hdmi)

The PSTV works fine just powered by the TV's USB socket.

So yeah, most portable console ever. We then went to CEX, he traded in a game and got one for £18.

Really cool. Gonna have to find one of those, or throw one together myself.

if it ain't patched then im gonna get myself a vita for christmas

Considering how sales are I doubt many of the units in the supply chain will be updated past the current firmware come the holidays.

I need help - i plugged in my playstation TV via hdmi to my benq monitor i use for everything and powered on. I just get a black screen.

Any idea why it would do this or what i can do to reset it?

Is your monitor picky about resolution? The PSTV outputs 720P and 1080i only.

Do you have to run this exploit every time? I would like to run this and unplug my network cable as I don't want my psn banned.

No you don't have to run it every time. If you are fine with no internet you would be fine just disabling wifi. But if you want internet you can block the servers that push the whitelist on your router.

What the heck is Playstation TV?

You must be a Sony exec :)

Pardon me for sounding dumb, but is there a way that this blocking could maintain this whitelist hack while still updating officially?

Updating the firmware you mean? It's hard to say, but I'd imagine Sony will block this and restore the default whitelist in the next update. Just don't update until you hear one way or another. I went ahead and bought a couple more PSTVs so I can have the best of both worlds in the future.

Why am I only getting one email from the Wololo site? There are supposed to be three. I followed the instructions on the site. After the one email I click the photo and exit which wipes the settings and I go back to the email app and there's no other emails.

Strange... Send me your email address via PM and I can hook you up.

Tygamr

So how exactly do you get games to work with the app.db patch? I follow all the instructions here, but I can't get any of the games that don't work to work.

Somebody earlier in the thread said that they got Terraria to run by editing the app.db file, but is there something I'm missing? The changes to the file took, because when I dump it and open it in SqliteBrowser and try the SQL code again, it tells me it has already been applied.

ChrisD

Alright, I did everything to a T, even followed the video guide from earlier in the thread. The eMail reset worked, I did the file rename to #0, opened it in the Vita, and now the file says "done" when I check it again. But Taiko, Deemo (just checked this one to see), and Gravity Rush still say not compatible when I boot them up. This is getting frustrating, I've been in a constant loop of trying for an hour. :(

Edit: Tearaway will turn on, but errors out. All three of the above still refuse to even boot up. Those were what I actually wanted to play.

Alright, now Gravity Rush is working without a hitch... but Taiko won't work, period. I'm going to assume the worst and say that it's one of the newer titles that still won't work. Whhhyyyyy. :.(

Dunk#7

What the heck is Playstation TV?

It is the device that I only use to do essential things in Destiny while on vacation or out of town. Always a little lag from hotel connections, and only good for logging on to buy or pick up things.

Remotely accessing your PS4 on a device the size of your phone. I'm sure it works better on a good connection, but have never attempted it.

Should now be able to play Netflix as well (finally) through this hack.

JayEH

Has anyone tried MGS HD collection with this yet? I don't remember if there was any significant touch controls that would prevent it from being played.

Kieli

I'm of the opinion that the ridonkulous memory prices killed the system.

How da fak are we supposed to buy games if we need to take out a mortgage to install them and whatnot.

It ain't sexy to fork over $50 for 2 megabytes of memory. But it's sexy to buy dat Persona 4 tho.

micster

Hooray! Great success. Now to just grab one of those USB power cables.

iAdII4h.jpg

SURGEdude

Has anyone tried MGS HD collection with this yet? I don't remember if there was any significant touch controls that would prevent it from being played.

Runs great. Just quickly loaded up both titles and so far they seem flawless. I don't think there's much or any touch shit.

Edit: I think interrogations might require back panel touch.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wow nice work. Really tempting to get a TV for Ys now...
Can you run PSP games that you normally couldn't run? Like, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops. I have the actual disc, can I rip it on my modded PSP, take the file off the card, put it on my playstation TV, then play it?
Curious to know this as well.

SoulUnison

Banned

I gave up on the system almost immediately when I spent more than the price of a game on a memory card, got home, downloaded LittleBigPlanet and Playstation All-Stars and had enough room left over for another VITA game and maybe a couple PSP games.
Fast-forward a week and I buy Persona 4 Golden and put it on the card, too. Another couple weeks and the mandatory patches for LittleBigPlanet and PS All-Stars have ballooned up so big that I can only keep one of them on the memory card at a time.

I felt absolutely gouged by Sony. Like I have to pay them the price of multiple games for the privilege of the ability to pay them for *actual* games.

There's a small, cynical part of me that truly believes that Sony knew what they were doing but decided that the VITA would either somehow be a success or they'd recoup their losses on their sinister memory card sham.

Lucifon

I gave up on the system almost immediately when I spent more than the price of a game on a memory card, got home, downloaded LittleBigPlanet and Playstation All-Stars and had enough room left over for another VITA game and maybe a couple PSP games.
Fast-forward a week and I buy Persona 4 Golden and put it on the card, too. Another couple weeks and the mandatory patches for LittleBigPlanet and PS All-Stars have ballooned up so big that I can only keep one of them on the memory card at a time.

I felt absolutely gouged by Sony. Like I have to pay them the price of multiple games for the privilege of the ability to pay them for *actual* games.

There's a small, cynical part of me that truly believes that Sony knew what they were doing but decided that the VITA would either somehow be a success or they'd recoup their losses on their sinister memory card sham.

This is so true and so frustrating. A strong reason why the Vita was held back. If we could use normal storage cards people would have bought so much more digital content. Which I guarantee they make more profit from. Makes no sense that they stuck to their guns on the memory card pricing, a horrible move.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The price of memory cards is probably why I haven't bought a Vita/PS TV yet despite some good sales. Well that and the aforementioned compatibility issues. Now only the memory card issue remains!

How da fak are we supposed to buy games if we need to take out a mortgage to install them and whatnot.

It ain't sexy to fork over $50 for 2 megabytes of memory. But it's sexy to buy dat Persona 4 tho.
Nah, this wasn't the problem.

Rich!

The price of memory cards is probably why I haven't bought a Vita/PS TV yet despite some good sales. Well that and the aforementioned compatibility issues. Now only the memory card issue remains!

Keep an eye on local sales and ebay.

I got a 64gb a week ago brand new for £40 on an ebay flash deal.

That's cheaper than the current 32GB price here on Amazon.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk

fvng

More like screaming at the security team for allowing read/write access to the kernel via emails.
I mean, really. No way will the email app be there in the next update.

Last time they removed an advertised feature they lost lawsuits. They'll just patch the problem

SURGEdude

Last time they removed an advertised feature they lost lawsuits. They'll just patch the problem

Actually wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the app. In March they removed Maps and Near. And then there was Youtube, though the blame there falls on Google who updated the API and I guess both parties didn't want to bother with the day or so of dev time to implement the new one.

jsnepo

Thanks for this.

I have got an idea and have been thinking about this even before this exploit. You think it is possible to set some of sort of proxy server that tricks the consoles to get an edited whitelist from your PC. I remember a software used before that intercepts the PS3 downloads and gets it from your PC instead.

I tried to work on this earlier. Got the version.dat and list.dat files. Too bad they're encrypted. I think it checks the PSN ID if the game is allowed to be downloaded. I don't think a simple whitelist can fix this. I hope I'm wrong.

Poop!

Yeah, it is what kept me from the system. The memory cards were easily the Achilles heal of the system and whomever approved them should have been fired.

vongruetz

Banned
So, with the number of large sites covering this hack (and actually promoting it), are the chances that Sony would ban someone from doing it basically nil now?

It's probably been confirmed already, but delisted and blocked PSP/PS1 games work fine if you were able to download them to Vita back when Sony accidentally left the floodgates open. Phantasy Star Portable 2, R-Type Delta, Crash and Spyro all worked perfectly.

SoulUnison

Banned
Actually wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the app. In March they removed Maps and Near. And then there was Youtube, though the blame there falls on Google who updated the API and I guess both parties didn't want to bother with the day or so of dev time to implement the new one.

Wait, like, truly "they're deleted from your system" removed? Because I just used my Vita a couple days ago and Near was definitely still there. I actually poked at it for a minute thinking "Wait, wasn't this supposed to be discontinued at some point?" It even still functioned as I remembered and was capable of updating and everything.

I might be pretty behind on system updates, though.

Removing Maps, though... I know people who actually bought the 3G version of the Vita because they aren't "smartphone" people but they wanted a basic portable GPS and they were going to buy a Vita, anyway. That was definitely an "advertised feature," too.

vongruetz

Banned

They had the lawsuit because of deceptive advertising with the Vita. Honestly, they repeated the same mistakes when promoting the PlayStation TV that they could easily be hit with another class-action. I'm guessing that the PSTV's low install base doesn't make it seem very lucrative though. Who knows. Maybe it's still around the corner.

fvng

The gyro should be fine using the controller, but I can see the camera being a gameplay killer.

sony never bothered to capture gyro data from the dualshock when used with the pstv. I don't understand why things are said on this board with such confidence based solely on an assumption

Rongolian

Banned
Will this disable any ability to buy games on the PSN store?

Will they make systems with this exploit not able to access the store?

If I can't buy games actively then this hack is mostly useless to me.

vongruetz

Banned
The gyro should be fine using the controller, but I can see the camera being a gameplay killer.

I tried playing through Uncharted and can't. You get to a part just after meeting Chase where you need to cross a slippery log. Because the gyro sensors don't work, you fall to your death and can not pass that section. Up until then, it was fine.

Could be a bad HDMI cable or an HDCP conflict.

I bought a used one today and when I plugged it into my splitter, I got a black screen because of the HDCP. Plugging it into my TV directly gave a signal. but it was fuzzy so I had to change the cable.

i am using a kinivo hdmi splitter so that might be causing it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I tried playing through Uncharted and can't. You get to a part just after meeting Chase where you need to cross a slippery log. Because the gyro sensors don't work, you fall to your death and can not pass that section. Up until then, it was fine.

Even if you get past that part, there's a part where you have to hold the system up to the surface of the sun to show a hidden message. Same with Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation.

PS TV related question - when moving memory card between vita and ps tv, is there any way to prevent the whole "rebuilding databases" thing? Annoying that it always messes up all the menus and such

Vashetti

Banned
PS TV related question - when moving memory card between vita and ps tv, is there any way to prevent the whole "rebuilding databases" thing? Annoying that it always messes up all the menus and such

Make the icon placement match on each, and they don't reset.

You can't prevent the rebuilding database thing though.

Tygamr

Man, Taiko Drum Master V version still doesn't work. I am very sad about this!

editL Even after updating my app.db using this FAQ

http://hackinformer.com/PlayStation...w_to_install_the_pstv_whitelist_patch_v2.html

The game will still not run. People elsewhere seem to be implying this doesn't work for most cartridge based games. bahh

Yeah I had a similar issue getting the app.db update to work, except with downloaded games. Someone in the thread got Terraria to work doing it, but it still refuses to work. Doesn't make any of my other games that are still blocked work either. Dunno if I did something wrong, or if there's an issue with the tutorial, or what.

webkatt

Sony should make this official and then add PSVITA as a control method.

Guaranteed Vita, PSTV, and Memory Card sales!

To the dozens of Vita/PSTV owners

b30ffc9d9b0218f6c204e0c74e3c87222c601eccb3e7b6f01f3f8a2d67648eef.jpg

atomsk

Party Pooper
Finally got the chance to do this today, and everything went smooth.

As someone who owns a Vita and a PSTV, all I ever wanted the PSTV for was to be able to capture video of Vita games without spending 500 bucks on a modded Vita.

So now I can keep my PSTV offline for that, and download any new stuff on the actual Vita.

Top Bottom