• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Tomorrow Children Open Beta : All your base are belong to us

Dunno if I'll jump into the beta this weekend (two previous betas are enough for now, I think), but I'd be curious to hear if anything new's been added since the last beta, even if it's minor stuff like more citizen quests or whatnot. I think I've done my fair share of mining until the actual game is out and we get to play for keeps.

Is there supposed to be some greater goal a town is working towards beyond just surviving to the point where you can build all the individual structures and monuments?

If not, this seems pretty successful at translating the more abstract qualities of Cold War-era propaganda into minecraft-esque/town management mechanics. The monotony of the mining routine, back and forth traveling, and fending off invading creatures is at first overwhelming but quickly felt like a ton of busy work with very little return. After 3 hours, I was still busting my ass gathering resources in between figuring out when I could build my own house (I never built one). Kinda felt like I was barely getting by "paycheck to paycheck" with every full day mining trip cycle. There's quite a few things that were still pretty obtuse to me like the criminal/jail system, but I had a good enough idea how the rest worked.

I just hope this isn't all there is to the full release whenever that comes out because I totally dig the visual aesthetics of this game. The whole game seems pretty conceptually interesting but beyond that I'm struggling to feel the drive to continue, which may just be by design.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
this!!!. but how the fuck do we upgrade it? i don't even know where the town hall is after 4hr of playing

If you don't know how the town hall looks, go to the work bench and look for the image example.

Take metal (the yellow blocks) to that building.

The problem is that the town is eating up the metal very, very fast.

Man, I need a rest.

Cobaiye

1464992886-recentral1-2016-06-04-00-27-13-55.png

IT'S TIME !

these buses take for fucking ever. they need to fix this ridiculous downtime and add two busses or something

Straight to it, if you deposit the metal in the pile it will not be used by the town hall.

yeah gaf pls. I just want my home and some kids

on our way now back to base brace yourself for metal dump

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I kind of want to get back into the Witcher 3 but I forgot about the beta... is there still room in the GAF town? How do I join?

El Jaffe

Is there any way to get licenses besides from the police using Freeman dollars? I started off with 1100 Freeman dollars but haven't earned any since.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
OMFG, I'm a resource whore extraordinare

GAF this game is going to kill me...

Ok...how do you earn freeman dollars? Ive put in a lot of time today, earned a shit ton of tickets to buy things and I haven't seen a single freeman dollar. I would like to put the black market to use or buy another license but cant.

aly

fuck the numbered puzzle. wut the hell is this. putting it on a timer is some bullshit. three moves from finishing it and it kicks me out of it

I gave up and started bribing all of mine. Also is it just me or is the town just too dark at night?The tall lights don't seem to help much.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
i'm gonna download this game but i'm not gonna look for the gaf town, not yet anyway; I don't want to fuck your town by messing with stuff since i'm pretty green. Also this game is gonna be out this year, right?

So I picked up two dolls from some abandoned town I guess? I have no idea what to do with them. What town should I even go to? Why would I toil away in some random town anyway? I also found a rocket launcher, where do I fight things?

doby

The bus is driving me mad. The amount of times it gets stuck is ridiculous.

This was supposed to have been fixed! Its such a ball ache.

Also when it is moving it keeps dumping me at the boarding point when I reach the destination

lol don't get me started on the lines

The game is gorgeous and charming but some of the design are really getting on my nerves :/

It's just something you have to get used to. If they allowed people to skip lines, there'd be no reason to make more than one table, allowing a steady spam of items and making the game too easy. It also gives reason to have things like electricity running, and maximizing your time instead of dicking around.

Within the framework of the game, it works well. The only thing I don't like are the puzzles. A more varied format of that would be fine, since some people spend more time at those tables than others.

I have to say I was excited for this engine and game and art style and will give it another go!
but the first hour was not sucking me in. Maybe it's a slow burn but one thing for sure it isn't immediately appealing.
The vignette, gloomy palette, grim Cold War atmosphere, evil overlord, it just made me think about the time I was burning digging pretend ore without knowing why improving the village should be a goal. Or even what would be cool about having a house. :( perhaps it all clicks after a while. Will try more before the beta ends at least it will help the team with bugs and stress testing.

since I can't build a fucking residence all day can someone who is a residence buy a dissembles and dissemble some of the misplaced turrets then place them on the weak side with no turrets

Top Bottom