• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Expansion Pass announced - $25

iNvid02

i refuse to believe anyone really thought its feasible to give away stuff like this for free. come on bruhsz

#1 - who are you to decide what should and shouldn't be a focus, especially when the game is allegedly feature complete and is in quality assurance stages?

#2 - when you develop a game you don't just make it, wait til it releases, and THEN decide your plan forward with that product for the next two years in its entirety. these things take time, effort, and planning. Having the expansions named is hardly a surprise, and without a shadow of a doubt not even a valid source of concern. but you know, everyone on the dev team who's not working with quality control should just... stay at home the next few months instead of continuing work on this thing, so as to not impact utterly delicate gamer sensibilities huh

#3 - in response to bolded, that's an inaccurate generalization, applied to incomplete information about these particular expansion packs, and represents semantics if I've ever seen em

I might not have articulated it well before and haven't entirely sorted my thoughts on it but here goes

#1 There really shouldn't be a need to add an imo to every sentence on a forum. I am no one to decide for anyone but me and I'm simply voicing my opinion.

#2 I don't take issues with DLC being developed during development so long as it doesn't take away from the game, which I doubt it did with Witcher 3 but we still have prerelease hype and many people might be tempted by these promises to splurge on the expansion pass not even having tried the game.

#3 but calling it like an expansion of old isn't a generalization?

Man I would love to change the meaning of words in order to suit my agenda, an expansion is DLC, just because a lot of DLC have been small does not mean an expansion is not content that is downloadable does it?

man, screw context, right?

clearly they're treating 'expansions' as the aforementioned large chunks of gameplay warranting a price of entry, and 'DLC' as small little things offered up to the player base at little to no cost. and they seem not to have deviated from this road

so what is the 'agenda'?

tuxfool

Banned
I dont care. Just doesnt feel right. But for a weird reason it oke because its CDPR.
I think thats odd.

It only doesn't feel right to delicate flowers such as yourself. Others just shrug and move on with their lives.

What does "not feel right" entail? Are they screwing you out of money, cutting content, or something else?

The idiocy of this logic is indefensible.

if I went into a thread about "Ubisoft's New Open World Game" to express disappointment

and then went into a thread about "Rockstar's New Open World Game" to express hype

does that make me a hypocrite?

jesus christ you guys. this is simple shit. I don't blame anyone for trusting that CD Projekt won't fuck them over.

How did CD Projekt fuck them up? Unless their ability to read was below the 6 grade level, it was pretty clear they did not mean expansion...

Shouta

This is really a PR issue. Announcing it before the game is released usually leaves a bad taste in people's mouths because they haven't even gotten to touch the main game yet. Paid expansions are fine but they need to release the details after the game is out.

Vire

I dont care. Just doesnt feel right. But for a weird reason it oke because its CDPR.
I think thats odd.

I think the idea of asking for more money before you've even proven if the main game is halfway decent is where the rub lies. I've personally learned my lesson the hard way with Season Passes and I will never ever purchase one again ahead of time... Regardless of who the developer is... (Bungie/Naughty Dog and 343 have all severely disappointed with season passes in the past).

So I place more of the blame on consumers at this point. No one is forcing a gun to your head to buy these things, be an educated consumer and just wait.

Fool me once... shame on you, fool me twice - you ain't gonna fool me twice.

alexein

dlc for them is horse armor then, but its also a season pass.
i was going to wait for it to drop in pricesince i'm new to the universe and all but i'm gonna wait even longer if we'll have to wait until 2016 to get the full game.

The problem is that there's a huge used game sales market eating away at new game sales 1 or 2 weeks after release, so publishers have to announce their post-release content plans in advance to incentivize people to not trade in their game.

Who is going to beat this 1-2 weeks after release? People without jobs, friends, or family obligations? I'm going to buy The Witcher regardless, and the content sounds like it's fairly price, but I dislike the practice of announcing DLC before the game even comes out. It just makes people feel like you aren't getting the 'complete' experience for $60, or that content is being cut to be sold later, even if that isn't actually the case. I'm not a PC gamer but were boxed expansion packs detailed and priced before the base game came out? I feel like that wasn't standard practice but don't really know.

Sirim

I know, I wish the would just be more upfront with their plans...

W6MAzDd.png
This image should be in the OP.

Okay, look I'm excited for The Witcher 3 and all, but have you played it? Did you beat it? What was your playtime? How can you sit there and call people pathetic and say its one of the biggest games ever made? What does that mean? A bunch of empty, nothing fields?

Care to elaborate? Am I not allowed to raise an eyebrow at their 10 and 20 hour claims? Am I not allowed to feel a tiny bit irked that the "complete" game is now $84.99 instead of $59.99? Am I pathetic for this? Come on.

The size of the map is a known quantity and it's one of the biggest out there.
I obviously don't know how long it will take to beat but that's beside the point, it wont be 10 or 20 hours, it will be dozens of hours, 60, 80, 100, whatever.
The bottom line is that unlike what some people pretend, this doesn't remove value from the base game, which up until know seemed to be fine for everyone.
You're still getting what you paid for with the base game, if you don't care for the expansions, don't buy them.

Regardless, that's only a part of my argument so please refrain from quoting my posts partially to prove a point.

The bottom line is that for some reason people expect a company to have its employees twiddle their thumbs instead of making them work on the next product, which is ridiculous.
They are being as transparent as they possibly can and nobody is negatively affected by this, it's just another excuse for some internet drama.

Edit:

The hilarious thing about people being upset for announcing DLC ahead of the release is that they're advocating for developers to lie and be less transparent.

Pretty much.

Skilletor

The hilarious thing about people being upset for announcing DLC ahead of the release is that they're advocating for developers to lie and be less transparent.

Zemm

Firstly lol at anyone thinking a 30 hour dlc/expansion would be free. Secondly, why the fuck does it matter if they announce it now instead of on release or a month later? Does announcing it later make you feel better even though you know they've been working on the dlc well before release? As long as it's not crapcom on disk nonsense, who gives a shit when it's announced?

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Lets not be greedy here guys. If CDR decides to create expansions to an already huge and by all accounts complete game that we all got at a bargain price, then we arent automatically entitled to additional content created post-launch. Honestly, its quite an extreme position to take, and im not sure where its coming from.

H3xum

The idiocy of this logic is indefensible.

if I went into a thread about "Ubisoft's New Open World Game" to express disappointment

and then went into a thread about "Rockstar's New Open World Game" to express hype

jesus christ you guys. this is simple shit. I don't blame anyone for trusting that CD Projekt won't fuck them over.

Put your flag and shield down, buddy.

I'm not going to go down the road of DLC vs Expansion, because that will just rustle your feathers, but I'm talking about announcing content (including release dates) before the game is out. Never has that ever been embraced as ok, let alone welcomed with excitement.

Will probably end up getting this but yeah I'm in the camp that announcing expansion packs and passes prior to the game's launch if just a pr problem waiting to happen.

tuxfool

Banned
I think the idea of asking for more money before you've even proven if the main game is halfway decent is where the rub lies. I've personally learned my lesson the hard way with Season Passes and I will never ever purchase one again ahead of time... Regardless of who the developer is... (Bungie/Naughty Dog and 343 have all severely disappointed with season passes in the past).

So I place more of the blame on consumers at this point. No one is forcing a gun to your head to buy these things, be an educated consumer and just wait.

Fool me once... shame on you, fool me twice - you ain't gonna fool me twice.

Damn you, no sensible statements allowed. If people don't like this idea, they are allowed to buy this stuff when it is released.

The developers are even advising people to do that.

NoWayOut

This is really a PR issue. Announcing it before the game is released usually leaves a bad taste in people's mouths because they haven't even gotten to touch the main game yet. Paid expansions are fine but they need to release the details after the game is out.

This 100%. I'm OK with paid expansion, but announcing it even before the game is out, it's a bad PR move. They should have waited to announce it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Not pathetic, but a little ignorant.

Why is the EXPANSION content part of your ridiculous metric for being a complete game?

Do you understand what expansion means?

Diablo 2 was a full game. Throne of baal was an EXPANSION. It expands the base game

The complete game is 60 bucks or whatever price you pay

The game with EXTRA content is base game+ expansion

It's an expansion

Expansion pack

An expansion of the base game

Calm yourself with your name calling. I know what the fuck an expansion is. I laid out an example which I experience on a weekly basis yet I'm ignorant? What the fuck is this nonsense?

I'll let Shouta explain it to you.

#1 There really shouldn't be a need to add an imo to every sentence on a forum. I am no one to decide for anyone but me and I'm simply voicing my opinion.

#2 I don't take issues with DLC being developed during development so long as it doesn't take away from the game, which I doubt it did with Witcher 3 but we still have prerelease hype and many people might be tempted by these promises to splurge on the expansion pass not even having tried the game.

#3 but calling it like an expansion of old isn't a generalization?

- it's not about 'adding an imo', it's about justifying that reasoning with real world logic. you said it 'shouldn't be a focus right now' but still haven't given a valid reason as to why that's the case.

- why don't you wait until these 'promises' fall through before disregarding CD Projekt's goodwill over the years, and the quality of their work, in an attempt to imply that this is something bad? and I don't see how people splurging on an expansion pack that clearly advertises what comes with it well before release is something manipulative or shady on their part. If I felt it was a poor value like I do with many of these I'd probably base my argument on that. But it sounds like their MO is to make it so that these are NOT a poor value and are actually true expansions in the old sense of the word.

- no, it's believing a respectable developer on their word instead of throwing a shit fit like a bunch of people in here because i saw three letters I didn't like and want to twist reality to justify my kneejerk reaction

Put your flag and shield down, buddy.

I'm not going to go down the road of DLC vs Expansion, because that will just rustle your feathers, but I'm talking about announcing content (including release dates) before the game is out. Never has that ever been embraced as ok, let alone welcomed with excitement.

'never'

it's like I said

screw context, right? that statement doesn't quite back your calling people hypocrites because

Guri

Can someone explain what's the benefit of only announcing after the game is out? You all know they planned expansions at least since last year. No one is demanding anyone to buy the Pass. It's not a pre-order bonus. It's not hidden inside the main game files. So, really, why?

We're already getting 16 free dlc packs with the game right? I'm sure there will be a free enhanced update as well.

I love CDPR, but I never understood why they decided to announce a "16 free dlc pack"... Why couldn't it be part of the game if its just released at the same time, or am I wrong?

RoKKeR

Looks like an incredibly fair price for two major expansions. Wasn't Bioware's latest expansion for DAI $15 just by itself?

GenericUser

All the news around the game sound really good. Just hope the core mechanics will deliver. All the good intentions are meaningless if the game itself will not deliver. Still cautious.

kpaadet

man, screw context, right?

clearly they're treating 'expansions' as the aforementioned large chunks of gameplay warranting a price of entry, and 'DLC' as small little things offered up to the player base at little to no cost. and they seem not to have deviated from this road

so what is the 'agenda'?
If you have followed CDPR for just a while you know they always try to make themselves seem like a bunch of good hearted gamers (just read this press release), when in fact they're pretty much that same as any other. My issues with CDPR is mostly PR related, I really like the games they make.

tuxfool

Banned
Calm yourself with your name calling. I know what the fuck an expansion is. I laid out an example which I experience on a weekly basis yet I'm ignorant? What the fuck is this nonsense?

I'll let Shouta explain it to you.

That was not what you were complaining about.

Theorry

Can someone explain what's the benefit of only announcing after the game is out? You all know they planned expansions at least since last year. No one is demanding anyone to buy the Pass. It's not a pre-order bonus. It's not hidden inside the main game files. So, really, why?

This imo.

The problem is that there's a huge used game sales market eating away at new game sales 1 or 2 weeks after release, so publishers have to announce their post-release content plans in advance to incentivize people to not trade in their game.

I can understand that reasoning, but it will still leave a sour taste in people's mouths.

Tacitus_

I love CDPR, but I never understood why they decided to announce a "15 free dlc pack"... Why couldn't it be part of the game if its just released at the same time, or am I wrong?

They need to give the artists something to work on while the engineers work out any kinks that might come up after release. Then they put the fixes and the mini content in one patch.

Red Hood

Banned
I'm not able to read all of these 10 pages, but I'm curious if the "oh so respected, humble and consumer friendly" CDPR still has people defending this. There was not a single doubt they wouldn't release any kind of paid DLCs, which is completely okay, but announcing such things well a month before the release of the base game is kind of... not cool. They should've waited at least a month or two after release, when the hype is threatening to decline.

Virdix

I think im going to ban myself from Witcher threads untik the OT drops in May, i just get too invested in it. But no one can say this wasnt expected looking at the screencap and kotaku article.

Jrett i didnt mean to come off as hostile, i get what you were trying to say.

“While we’re offering the Expansion Pass now, we want to make one thing clear: don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call,” Iwiński concludes.

I want to marry CDPR.

I love them so so dearly.

Even still, will wait for The Witcher 3: Definitive Complete NoReallyGuysWeFinishedItWePromise
PleaseGuysBuyNowPrettyPleaseWithABeardOnTop Edition.

I saw the whole "30 hours of gameplay", but really, I have a lot of doubts, mostly because CDPR (and GOG) took a very different way from the "beginning".

First GOG and their "fair price", with that commercial joking about users paying 50€ and users paying 15€ for the same game. They now introduced russian prices on GOG.

Now from "NO DLC" to a season pass.

What I think now, if they announce this now, is: this content was planned to be in the main game, but they didn't manage to complete it, they will sell it as season pass.

I hope to be wrong about this, because Witcher 3 with MGSV are my most anticipated titles for this year, I don't like the idea of an expansion one month before the game release.

It would be like Blizzard announcing a Reaper expansion one month before Diablo 3 release.
They said no DLC. There is no DLC. The 16 DLC packs are free. These are expansions which they openly said would be paid for. Nothing has changed.

As for the bolded, is this another edition of "Tales and Ideas from My Ass"?

Really?
What happened to "No DLC" policy?

Read the words they say, please.

Man I would love to change the meaning of words in order to suit my agenda, an expansion is DLC, just because a lot of DLC have been small does not mean an expansion is not content that is downloadable does it?

Please read the quote.

you're arguing semantics. literally nothing about the statement he said about charging for bigger content is at odds with what is happening.

Please read the quote. It'll make this so much easier on you

Just doesnt feel right.

you keep saying this and it doesn't actually mean anything

Anno

I'm not able to read all of these 10 pages, but I'm curious if the "oh so respected, humble and consumer friendly" CDPR still has people defending this. There was not a single doubt they wouldn't release any kind of paid DLCs, which is completely okay, but announcing such things well a month before the release of the base game is kind of... not cool. They should've waited at least a month or two after release, when the hype is threatening to decline.

No one has yet been able to explain why the timing of this announcement matters.

do i get my money back if they aren't 10+ and 20+ hours

wut

If you are one of those people who beat Skyrim in 10 hours, youll probably end up very disappointed... but that is just my guess...

90% of the people who play these expansions will ignore most of the content and then bitch when it only took them 5 hours to complete.

Asgaro

DLC = downloadable content = expansion pack.

If they release it separately on DVD/Blu-Ray, you may point out my mistake.

Top Bottom