• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Expansion Pass announced - $25

Okay, look I'm excited for The Witcher 3 and all, but have you played it? Did you beat it? What was your playtime? How can you sit there and call people pathetic and say its one of the biggest games ever made? What does that mean? A bunch of empty, nothing fields?

Care to elaborate? Am I not allowed to raise an eyebrow at their 10 and 20 hour claims? Am I not allowed to feel a tiny bit irked that the "complete" game is now $84.99 instead of $59.99? Am I pathetic for this? Come on.

Not pathetic, but a little ignorant.

Why is the EXPANSION content part of your ridiculous metric for being a complete game?

Do you understand what expansion means?

Diablo 2 was a full game. Throne of baal was an EXPANSION. It expands the base game

The complete game is 60 bucks or whatever price you pay

The game with EXTRA content is base game+ expansion

It's an expansion

Expansion pack

An expansion of the base game

misho8723

Banned
i thought they were offering 20 pieces of free DLC.

RAD going the way of every other publisher then? DLC passes before the game is out...

Really people ? It hurts so much to use your brain for once ?

Yes, those 16 DLCs are going to be free for everyone

But this are two expansion packs, which are pretty big = together they are going to have more than 30 hours - which is almost as big as Witcher 2 in one playthrough

Yes, the are not free, because big expansion packs were never for free

artsi

This kind of DLC is fine by me. Something that really expands the game is always good.

Horse armor? Not interested.
Bloodmoon (Morrowind expansion)? Hell yeah!

Truant

It just shouldn't be a focus right now, if they also made the expansion pass available right away they are basically selling promises, with usually no way to back out.

Saying yes "We have purchasable DLC plans for the game but they will be of significant size" would have been fine but actually naming them already makes it seem like it has been worked on for a long while already.

Not to mention that if we're truly speaking of expansions of old, they weren't just more hours to play in a new locale, which plenty of DLC offer anyways, but also had significant new features.

Not what I said and not what I take issue with, but anyway there is no way a story could use refinement right, not like some stuff had to be retconned in Witcher 2 with codex entries in the EE months later.

I don't think you understand how software development works,.

jesu

I like The Witcher and will probably buy 3 and it's expansion packs, but I am so tired of CDPRs same old "hey guys we're totally gamers like you and we think all dlc should be free, ohh this is an expansion which means it's totally not the same". I like your games CDPR but stop treating your customers like idiots.

I know, I wish the would just be more upfront with their plans...

W6MAzDd.png

The hypocrisy is real.

The idiocy of this logic is indefensible.

if I went into a thread about "Ubisoft's New Open World Game" to express disappointment

and then went into a thread about "Rockstar's New Open World Game" to express hype

does that make me a hypocrite?

jesus christ you guys. this is simple shit. I don't blame anyone for trusting that CD Projekt won't fuck them over.

Alpende

Meh, don't like announcing DLC before the game has released. I'll play the game first and see what the reviews say about the DLC. 10 to 20 hours sound good for DLC though.

Virdix

Seriously?

To me buying a "season pass" you barely know anything about is a completely different affair than buying DLC independently after it's actually out.
Yes, i seriously quoted the ultimatum you said and then backed out of a page later.

Go edit that post to include "before release" and it makes sense.

Might pick this game up on Black Friday now. Don't care how long it is they used those fluff DLC pieces for good PR now are charging just like every one else. I know what they said, but this makes them seem fake.

jett

D-Member
Yes seriously. Use your words and speak clearly so people understand you.

What's wrong with them having worked on it for a while? The game is done. What do you expect them to have been doing?

A name is a piss-poor marker of development by the way.

And then people say I'm an asshole.

Yes, i seriously quoted the ultimatum you said and then backed out of a page later.

Go edit that post to include "before release" and it makes sense.

I didn't back out of anything, a season pass is different. What the fuck is going on in this thread.

Majukun

$25 too much for a supposed 30 hours of gameplay.

GAF is unreal sometimes.

value isn't made just by hours of gameplay,otherwise we should pay all RPGs 3 times the price of a normal game.
also on an rpg,where gameplay hours are naturally inflated by design
the full game costs 45 euros on gog,and supposedly offers around 100 hour of gameplay,gameplay form a totally new game.
the dlc is priced at 25 euros,and offers 30 hours of the same gameplay,since it doesn't seem to introduce new mechanics but "just" new quests and places to visit.

you are free to consider it a good value and buy it..I'll wait for a discount..actually i'll first wait to see ifI like the main game...

Andodalf

Banned
Game has pre release Dlc announcement: they're screwing us on the main game!

Game has post launch Dlc announcement: they're saying our 60$ wasn't for the whole game like we thought!

Game has on disk dlc: they stole our money

Game has off disk dlc: the file sizes are too big!

Game doesn't have Dlc: man, I wish they made more of this game!

They make more of the game in a sequel: gosh, I hate how this franchise is just a cash cow!

Vire

I didn't back out of anything, a season pass is different. What the fuck is going on in this thread.

I think they interpreted as you saying you would never buy any DLC ever again. (I wouldn't blame you after Destiny) Where you really meant, you would never buy DLC ahead of release ever again.

I don't get the hostility though.

Itachi87

I don't have a problem with them. Will get this as soon as I finish the game. The first expansion isn't releasing until October; it's not like they stripped content from the main game and are releasing the pack on Day 1. As long as they're meaningful additions to the story which it sounds like it will be, I'm excited.

Let's just remember. You didn't simply throw season passes under the bus. You also said you would never ever buy "expansions." You know...the thing in the season pass.

When will developers learn to not announce DLC passes well before release.
I don't think it matters. The game obviously has a lot of content. And it's not like developers don't make plans to make this stuff this early on. I'd rather they not pretend that this dlc is a spontaneous idea.

Theorry

W6MAzDd.png

Thats not the point.
Its announcing and pricing a Season pass just before the base game releases wich doesnt feel right.
Just say "we some have plans" and focus on the main game first.

LogicStep

Sounds great to me. 10 and 20 hours worth of content for $25 is not bad at all. I will wait until I'm done with the game before I even think on buying that.

Majukun

So you're saying if the main game was 50 hours, the expansion pass would be a better deal in comparison?

it would be the same deal,since the expansion doesn't change.

the price would be more justified though

and in the end,if it's a good deal will be decided by how good is the main game,and how good the expansion is.

I remember when expansions were actual expansions and with a lot of content...they actually cost something because it was worth the price.

Question now should be how does CD define the difference between DLC and expansions? About $25.

ironcreed

Banned
Might pick this game up on Black Friday now. Don't care how long it is they used those fluff DLC pieces for good PR now are charging just like every one else. I know what they said, but this makes them seem fake.

Charging for full blown expansions when they announced ahead of time that they would do exactly that is fake?

To clarify:

And that is exactly what they are doing right now. People calling CDProjekt out for lying about free DLC should do some more research in the future.
Gaming seems to be rooted in knee jerk reactions with little attention to research as possible. People calling this DLC are embarrassing themselves.

im still mad about the collectors edition, but this Im pretty sure I'm ok with.

I would prefer 1 huge expansion over 2 though
This thread emphasizes pretty much everything I hate about this forum anymore. > 50% of the posts are negative gut reactions to the headline without actually reading into the situation.
people have been groomed to have that reaction though. Honestly hard to blame them

-sigh-

well i guess we can look at the bright side, these sound like actual expansions and not just little dlc packs that take like an hour to complete but cost like $15.

tuxfool

Banned

So despite doing what they said they would do, they are fakes?

Thats not the point.
Its announcing and pricing a Season pass just before the base game releases wich doesnt feel right.

why?

the only answer is "so that utterly delicate gamer sensibilities aren't offended"

and you've failed to bring any other validation for this train of logic so far, where context is considered

as have basically the rest of the posters in here...

RedSwirl

W6MAzDd.png

CDProjekt said shit like this way back when Witcher 2 first came out. Back when it was releasing free TW2 DLC it said it would probably charge if it ever did a full expansion pack for the game (bigger than the Enhanced Edition content). CDP just never got to do a TW2 expansion, and now it's doing one for Witcher 3.

jesu

Thats not the point.

That wasn't the point of the person I quoted.

Theorry

Why? What do you think they should be doing prior to release of the game? Twiddling their thumbs? Not trying to make more money?

I dont care. Just doesnt feel right. But for a weird reason it oke because its CDPR.
I think thats odd.

That wasn't the point of the person I quoted.

I know. But thats the point of what some people here try to make. Nothing against big expansions. Just the timing isn't that great.

Lothars

all devs announce that they will continue to support their game prior to release... that isn't the issue. Go read up on the "from ashes" DLC for Mass Effect 3 or Horse Armor for Elder Scrolls IV: oblivion to understand what the problem with DLC actually is.
From Ashes is one of the best dlc packs for a character, now it should have been in the game instead of dlc but I also would rather play a bioware game than an cd projects even though I respect what they do with GOG.

"Hey, we're excited about our game coming out in a few months and want to let you know that we're going to release some big expansions over the next year. You dont have to buy it but it's going to be a ton of content!"

HOW DARE YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS

Well, when people are acting fucking stupid...
Yes the people saying that this is okay to announce a pass this early but would jump on any other developer for doing it and excuse them of holding back content which makes alot of the same posters hypocrites for this.

There's nothing wrong with this pass but also nothing wrong with people being unsure of it.

jett

D-Member
I think they interpreted as you saying you would never buy any DLC ever again. (I wouldn't blame you after Destiny) Where you really meant, you would never buy DLC ahead of release ever again.

I don't get the hostility though.
I don't have a problem with DLC, I have a problem with this season pass shit, with people selling stuff that doesn't exist, and people not only buying it, but defending this bullshit practice with tooth and nail. I'm done here, anyway.
Let's just remember. You didn't simply throw season passes under the bus. You also said you would never ever buy "expansions." You know...the thing in the season pass.

An expansion or season pass. Meaning an expansion pass or season pass, which are the same thing. I think I've had quite enough of your bullshit.

Truant

Man, stuff is weird to me because I don't know anything about a subject, so therefore everyone else is at fault.

artsi

I was curious and went back to look what kind of reactions people had when Morrowind had the expansions (which are pretty lengthy by today's standards) announced. Nice to see almost the same discussion themes going on 12 years ago.

http://forums.pcpowerplay.com.au/showthread.php/57799-Second-Morrowind-Expansion-Announced!

Great!! another rip-off of an add-on

Dude you pay $50 bucks for morrowind, then another $40 or so bucks for tribunal. I was about to buy morrowind:tribunal from the shops the other day but i didn't due to it only add about 20 or so hours gameplay onto and it fixes the journal bug, which should be a patch not an update. I don't think ill get much satisifaction out of this tribunal patch, i can live without it.

Calling people pathetic and stupid to defend a developer. . wtf is going on lol

"i know they said they wouldn't charge for content unless it was a large amount of content, and here they are offering 16 packs of small dlc and charging for a large amount of content exactly like they said, but here's my statement saying something silly"

what
http://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt_expansion_pass

So what, it means that boxed copies of the game come with GOG cdkey and not Steam? That would be ridiculous...

pretty sure it means retail copies don't register on steam, so the expansions would only be available through GOG

neither comes with the expansion content.

kpaadet

Man I would love to change the meaning of words in order to suit my agenda, an expansion is DLC, just because a lot of DLC have been small does not mean an expansion is not content that is downloadable does it?

injurai

Banned
CDProjekt said shit like this way back when Witcher 2 first came out. Back when it was releasing free TW2 DLC it said it would probably charge if it ever did a full expansion pack for the game (bigger than the Enhanced Edition content). CDP just never got to do a TW2 expansion, and now it's doing one for Witcher 3.

We're already getting 16 free dlc packs with the game right? I'm sure there will be a free enhanced update as well.

Top Bottom