• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Expansion Pass announced - $25

valkyre

They've been pretty clear on their position for like 4 years...

I might as well have missed the information in regards to their position 4 years ago. It still sounds as semantics. And I dont appreciate someone who has cleared their "position" to come out like they did a few months ago with taglines : " DLC are going to be free for Witcher 3" and articles like this: "The witcher 3 dev on making a stand against paid dlc" http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/the-witcher-3-dev-on-making-a-stand-against-paid-dlc

only to provide lately "expansion" as their "get out of jail card" to actually include "payable DLC" in their game. If they wanted to be 100% clear, those articles with the 16 free dlc should also mention something like : " yeah you know armors and haircuts are going to be free, but the actual worthwhile DL sorry... "expansion" is going to be very payable indeed". There wouldnt be any problems there really. But they mentioned nothing about expansions and just came out like the good guys, when the reality is quite different.

Like I said, this whole thing, looks like the very definition of semantics...

I know people are going to burn me for this, but this whole "DLC" "EXPANSION" sounds like pure semantics to me....

I was told DLC will be free, only to realize that CD Project calls certain types of DLC "expansions"...

Will buy the game, but not very fond of this whole thing. Sounds cheap to me.

wow another one, read the OP god dammit!

CDPR has been upfront with this since like forever and have not gone back on their word regarding DLC.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
I might as well have missed the information in regards to their position. It still sounds as semantics. And I dont appreciate someone who has cleared their "position" to come out like they did a few months ago with taglines : " DLC are going to be free for Witcher 3" and articles like this: "The witcher 3 dev on making a stand against paid dlc" http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/the-witcher-3-dev-on-making-a-stand-against-paid-dlc

only to provide lately "expansion" as their "get out of jail card" to actually include "payable DLC" in their game. If they wanted to be 100% clear, those articles with the 16 free dlc should also mention something like : " yeah you know armors and haircuts are going to be free, but the actual worthwhile DL sorry... "expansion" is going to be very payable indeed". There wouldnt be any problems there really. But they mentioned nothing about expansions and just came out like the good guys, when the reality is quite different.

W6MAzDd.png

They've been saying it for years, not their fault you didn't know.

Card Boy

Banned
If i was a mod for a day i would ban any ignorant fuck in this thread. Holy shit at faux outrage. CDPR are the most consumer friendly devs out there.

roytheone

So after reading the descriptions, heart of stone sounds like a dawnguard/ knights of the nine type of expansion (more content in the same open world), and blood and wine more like dragonborn/shivering isles (a brand new, smaller open world). Is that right?

Wiktor

Expansion is just a marketing term as DLC has gotten a bad rap. There are plenty of examples of paid and unpaid content that are large expansions of games. Seems dumb to get mad over a marketing term that is clearly targeted at a market sick of DLC.

Right. Because CDPR marketing team has invented the term Expanion Pack :D

So after reading the descriptions, heart of stone sounds like a dawnguard/ knights of the nine type of expansion (more content in the same open world), and blood and wine more like dragonborn/shivering isles (a brand new, smaller open world). Is that right?

yes seems about right

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Right. Because CDPR marketing team has invented the term Expanion Pack :D

This is an expansion pass though, which is a lot newer than that term. Keep in mind the Destiny expansion pass. The term itself is immaterial all that matters is the amount of content in the dlc itself.

Nordicus

I know people are going to burn me for this, but this whole "DLC" "EXPANSION" sounds like pure semantics to me....

I was told DLC will be free, only to realize that CD Project calls certain types of DLC "expansions"...

I might as well have missed the information in regards to their position 4 years ago. It still sounds as semantics. And I dont appreciate someone who has cleared their "position" to come out like they did a few months ago with taglines : " DLC are going to be free for Witcher 3" and articles like this: "The witcher 3 dev on making a stand against paid dlc" http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/26/the-witcher-3-dev-on-making-a-stand-against-paid-dlc

Dude, that very article shows no positions have changed

"DLC, it’s small content," said head of marketing and PR Michal Platkow-Gilewski last September. "Like one-thousandth of the whole game. Why should you charge for that? If it’s small, give it for free. I know it’s not always possible or easy but this is what we want to give gamers; a little bit of love, which we’d like to get from other developers as gamers ourselves."

Wiktor

It's hilarious that people try to get a feeling of superiority out of terms that are freely interchangeable.

Except they aren't. Even if you ignore the meaning those terms have gathered through tradition in the last decade, they still wouldn't be the same. I mean, even if you want to stick to dictionary definition of the world forming the phrase you can't really call retail boxed expansion pack a "DLC" for example.

Denton

So either you expect them to only release small DLCs that will be free and never any large expansions, or you expect them to give 30 hour expansions that feature new locations, quests and characters, completely free of charge.

That's not very reasonable,is it.

This is an expansion pass Keep in mind the Destiny expansion pass. The term itself is immaterial all that matters is the amount of content in the dlc itself.

Dont remind us, that DLC should have been free. It was totally a scam. Playing same levels backwards..what a joke.

valkyre

W6MAzDd.png

They've been saying it for years, not their fault you didn't know.

Yep thats it right there. The definition of semantics. Thanks for actual proof.

Also, kind of "weird" (to say the least...) that 1 month before the game is released you are being informed about "expansions" and 30 (THIRTY) hours worth of gameplay....

They havent released the game yet they have already planned another 30 hours of content?

Sorry but that sounds poor to me. You can defend this all you want, it still sounds shitty to me.

The least they could do, is announce that they have 30 more hours of payable content planned, 2-3 months after the game's release...

Dude, that very article shows no positions have changed

"DLC, it’s small content," said head of marketing and PR Michal Platkow-Gilewski last September. "Like one-thousandth of the whole game. Why should you charge for that? If it’s small, give it for free. I know it’s not always possible or easy but this is what we want to give gamers; a little bit of love, which we’d like to get from other developers as gamers ourselves."

My point is, that they should at least have mentioned SOMETHING about ex[ansions there, shouldnt they? But they obviously didnt, because that "16 free DLC" tagline sounds way to good to be spoiled by something like this...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
They havent released the game yet they have already planned another 30 hours of content?

Sorry but that sounds poor to me. You can defend this all you want, it still sounds shitty to me.

lol, you have no idea how game development works.

Yeul

Really good price I think and I'll more likely than not buy it. I don't know, I personally wasn't ever confused by what they meant by the DLC/expansion thing. Probably because when I would play a game like Dragon Age: Origins, Awakening was an expansion and rather large vs. what BioWare have been releasing in recent times as DLC. In general it's all downloadable content, but I was personally never under the impression that a huge mission would be free. I'm not feeling burned or anything by what CDPR have said, especially considering the fact that I preordered the game for 20% off, which is already more than what I get for a lot of games. The game by all indication is content complete and I'm looking forward to it.

Nordicus

The game was originally supposed to come out half a year ago but the bugfixing and optimization side has been delaying the release due to game's large size while designers have been allowed to move forward. Of course they have more content planned out already

The game was originally supposed to come out half a year ago but the bugfixing and optimization side has been delaying the release due to game's large size while designers have been allowed to move forward. Of course they have more content planned out already

Wiktor

The least they could do, is announce that they have 30 more hours of payable content planned, 2-3 months after the game's release...

Holy crap. You're actually angry that developer is honest and tells their plans in advance. You're dissapointed they don't lie/hide the truth from you. Put your feelings aside and calmy analyze if you really want to feel like this about it. .

valkyre

lol, you have no idea how game development works.

And you come off quite arrogant and rude.

I know very well how game development works, in case you did not notice, my grip is that they announced it even before the game is released. Announcing 30 hours worth of extra content before you ship your game sounds ugly to me.

Holy crap. You're actually angry that developer is honest and tells their plans in advance. You're dissapointed they don't lie/hide the truth from you. Put your feelings aside and calmy analyze if you really want to feel like this about it. .

I am angry now lol? Sound like a lot of CD Project defense force here is in action. I am just a guy who doesnt appreciate semantics. I stated my opinion. You could very well ignore it, but it seems like a flock of people are really irritated that someone's opinion is different than theirs.

And like I said in my OP, it not like I hate the dev or the game (which I will buy). Yet it seems that I have to praise the lord in todays news. I simply dont. I have a very fine morning, dont know why people think I give more than 2 shits about a videogame DL... expansion. Seems it is much more important to most people here than me tbh...

Denton

lol first thing I thought of when hearing Toussaint is :

I should get to reading the Witcher books.

No idea what that picture is, but yes you should read the books :)

YES!!!!!!!

Can't wait to visit that magical fairy tale dukedom! Hopefully Fringilla will be around if you know what I mean!

I am sure they are not going to waste this opportunity, Fringilla is a sure thing :)

And I expect Shani and Kalkstein in the first one.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Jason C.... did you really expect them to make a full fledged expansion and sell it for free?

Let alone two?

If you had dug a little deeper, you would have found this:

For those that missed the initial signs I'd say the disappointment stems from this being a change from the "Enhanced Edition" updates that, while smaller (4 hours or so of campaign-expanding content), were provided for free, and then there's the fact that the 16 free pieces of DLC currently look to be all fluff. The former coupled with CDPR's initial non-committal stance on pricing is what leads me to believe that charging for these expansions wasn't CDPR's decision in the end, with my guess being it would have preferred to see the matter dictated by sales -- if they were below expectations, then charge for the DLC in an attempt to close the deficit, but if not, then use it to reward existing owners and entice future purchases from the more hesitant.

I don't expect you to read through every single page, but you could have searched for posts by username.

kafiend

It's as if you weren't gaming when the announcement of an expansion pack was something to get excited about. Its actual extra content, and lots of it - be excited!

I guess its a sign of how DLC as a term for additional content has been perverted by companies charging money for stuff like horse armor.

noshten

Super hyped for the Witcher but I'm going to be the expansions after I have played the game and sank in enough time to ensure that I would actually need additional content.

I don't understand the controversy this won't be released anytime soon and do you honestly think the game is going to be gimped just because the expansion is announced. This is CD Projekt they know how to do DLC and Expansions.

Daverid

I am just a guy who doesnt appreciate semantics.

There is no semantics here at all. Whether they call it an expansion pass, season pass, DLC or "Adventure time with Geralt of Rivia, Butcher of Blaviken", that's fucking irrelevant.

The point is that they've outright stated that SMALL additions to the game (Minor quests, Armour/Weapons etc) should and will be free, but LARGE additions (10-20+ hour "things") will be charged. Clear as fucking crystal, no bullshit, and what has been announced today is EXACTLY that.
No one is trying to deceive you, nobody is using semantics or trickery, what they've said is plain and clear and the fact that you seem to completely ignore that just shows either your utter lack of comprehension, or vehement desire to hate what is going on here no matter what.

There is no semantics here at all. Whether they call it an expansion pass, season pass, DLC or "Adventure time with Geralt of Rivia, Butcher of Blaviken", that's fucking irrelevant.

The point is that they've outright stated that SMALL additions to the game (Minor quests, Armour/Weapons etc) should and will be free, but LARGE additions (10-20+ hour "things") will be charged. Clear as fucking crystal, no bullshit.
No one is trying to deceive you, nobody is using semantics or trickery, what they've said is utterly plain and clear and the fact that you seem to completely ignore that just shows your utter lack of comprehension, or vehement desire to hate what is going on here no matter what.

It's as if you weren't gaming when the announcement of an expansion pack was something to get excited about. Its actual extra content, and lots of it - be excited!

I guess its a sign of how DLC as a term for additional content has been perverted by companies charging money for stuff like horse armor.

people should be excited for this, The witcher will probably be GOTY and to get more content for it is awesome.

DLC has a bad ring to it due to how it has been abused by companies for so long, Destiny, Evolve are just 2 games that have helped with that lately.

What CDPR are doing with the DLC is how it should be done IMO, they got it right.

people should be excited for this, The witcher will probably be GOTY and to get more content for it is awesome.

I imagine you are right... just like Dragon Age Inquisition was GOTY.

The DLC might be great, but please everybody wait till it is released and don't buy into the "season pass" thing. Potentially 10 more hours of collecting 10 wolf pelts for a reward of 8 wolf pelts isn't something you want to be throwing money at just yet.

I imagine you are right... just like Dragon Age Inquisition was GOTY.

The DLC might be great, but please everybody wait till it is released and don't buy into the "season pass" thing. Potentially 10 more hours of collecting 10 wolf pelts for a reward of 8 wolf pelts isn't something you want to be throwing money at just yet.

I wont be buying the DLC until I am have finished the game. like everyone should do.

P44

I know very well how game development works, in case you did not notice, my grip is that they announced it even before the game is released. Announcing 30 hours worth of extra content before you ship your game sounds ugly to me.

I am angry now lol? Sound like a lot of CD Project defense force here is in action. I am just a guy who doesnt appreciate semantics. I stated my opinion. You could very well ignore it, but it seems like a flock of people are really irritated that someone's opinion is different than theirs.

And like I said in my OP, it not like I hate the dev or the game (which I will buy). Yet it seems that I have to praise the lord in todays news. I simply dont. I have a very fine morning, dont know why people think I give more than 2 shits about a videogame DL... expansion. Seems it is much more important to most people here than me tbh...

It doesn't really sound like you understand development, despite your pleas to the contrary.

You don't just wake up a two weeks after launch and say, "Hey lads, let's make a 20 hour expansion." What exactly do you think is involved in launching a game a month before launch? Bugfixes and PR, meanwhile you have a ton of people sitting around doing nothing, unable to even plan an expansion because they haven't even launched - suffice to say, that is a poor way to run any company. Time must be optimised. Writers, and artists and a lot of the development workforce not in use near the end (i.e not patching etc) have to be kept on, else they lose their jobs really because there's nothing for them to do.

On top of that, they're hardly ripping anybody off - $25 for 30 hours of content. Most would pay $60 for 20, which is a joke, but because it's launching as the main game, and not under the umbrella term of DLC, the crowd are much less rowdier about it. Throw in the free (smaller) DLC and this as a package is a pretty solid deal.

If people seem frustrated at you or whatever, it's because somehow a full games worth of content at the price of $25 is deemed "a shitty thing" purely because you're so paranoid that you might be getting "cheated" out of content in the main game. This is not the way the gaming community should be reacting to somebody (I would say) using the DLC system in an ethically pretty good manner. The whole thing feels like a knee jerk to announcements of DLC pre release, without considering any context.

valkyre

The point is that they've outright stated that SMALL additions to the game (Minor quests, Armour/Weapons etc) should and will be free, but LARGE additions (10-20+ hour "things") will be charged. Clear as fucking crystal, no bullshit, and what has been announced today is EXACTLY that.
No one is trying to deceive you, nobody is using semantics or trickery, what they've said is plain and clear and the fact that you seem to completely ignore that just shows either your utter lack of comprehension, or vehement desire to hate what is going on here no matter what.

And then people say I am angry...

Sure you can throw insults all you like behind your keyboard. I have nothing to "hate" here, I made a 3 sentence post where I said that I simply dont like the way CD Project handled this in comparison to previous articles that were specifically mentioning the issue of paid content and neglected to refer in any way to expansions, because, I dont know, that 16 free dlc has a nice ring to it obviously.

Alienous

“While we’re offering the Expansion Pass now, we want to make one thing clear: don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call,” Iwiński concludes.

Ugh.

There's a middle-ground between being strictly corporate and being overtly friendly.

Thanks mom.

erawsd

My definition of "Ugly" would be more like if they lopped off the Prologue of the game and tried to sell it as a separate 4 hour game for $40... with the promise that I'll get to play the rest of it for $60 sometime in the future. If what CDPR has done here offends you, I cant imagine you would ever support a company thatd do something like that.. right?

thuGG_pl

Sure you can throw insults all you like behind your keyboard. I have nothing to "hate" here, I made a 3 sentence post where I said that I simply dont like the way CD Project handled this in comparison to previous articles that were specifically mentioning the issue of paid content and neglected to refer in any way to expansions, because, I dont know, that 16 free dlc has a nice ring to it obviously.

Well sir, should I assume you can't read?

"However, if we do a big adventure, say, 15 or 20 hours long, a very high production value story extention to the game - then we will probably charge for that. "

W6MAzDd.png

as mentioned 100 times in this thread. CDPR has stated long ago that if its something large 15-30 hours of playable content that would cost money...

I would understand your argument if it was directed towards shit like Destiny, evelove etc but this? no, this is how DLC should be done.

valkyre

Let me say it one more time, because seriously this is getting old and I am tired of wasting so much time for shit like this.

It is not the price. I have paid DLC that were much worse than this. It is the fact that CDP seems to manipulate the whole DLC/Expansion thing however it makes them sound better.

Also and ffs honestly, I do understand that 30 hours of content have to be planned beforehand, thing is, to me it sounds like a turn off when you announce it before the game is released.

And I have said so not just for CDP but for most games out there, even though I went and eventually bought the DLC for them. It just doesnt click with me. I dont want to hear about extra payable content before I have even tasted the main dish. It like ordering a steak and then the waiter telling me that in 30 mins I can have a sauce for a price, that will make the dish that much more enjoyable. Perhaps the example aint that great, but whatever, enough time wasted on this.

30 hours of content for $25 on top of a 100 hr main campaign? I'm in.

Didn't Dragon Age Inquisition cure people of this type of "lots of hours must be good!" thing? It damn well should have.

Anyway, at the end of the day, the whole DLC thing can be filed away besides the odd relationship with DRM on the xbox and regional price gouging. We know who is calling the shots in this regard.

Lach

No idea what that picture is, but yes you should read the books :)

I am sure they are not going to waste this opportunity, Fringilla is a sure thing :)

Haha I just remembered that when Geralt was in Toussaint (book spoilers)
basically all the women there paid him to get rid of a succubus while all the men paid him not to get rid of it. And of course this makes me think of Regis :(

While reading the books I always hoped that Regis and Milva (and even Cahir and Angouleme) would appear in Witcher 3. But I always feared I already knew the reason they hadn't appeared already :(

Alienous

as mentioned 100 times in this thread. CDPR has stated long ago that if its something large 15-30 hours of playable content that would cost money...

I would understand your argument if it was directed towards shit like Destiny, evelove etc but this? no, this is how DLC should be done.

But this is how DLC has been done. For years now.

Why did they even imply that they had a different approach?

Except they aren't. Even if you ignore the meaning those terms have gathered through tradition in the last decade, they still wouldn't be the same. I mean, even if you want to stick to dictionary definition of the world forming the phrase you can't really call retail boxed expansion pack a "DLC" for example.

You'd think but

Is this an expansion or DLC?

Also getting into semantics an expansion would only not be DLC if it weren't also available digitally, it'd downloadable then after all.

Let me say it one more time, because seriously this is getting old and I am tired of wasting so much time for shit like this.

It is not the price. I have paid DLC that were much worse than this. It is the fact that CDP seems to manipulate the whole DLC/Expansion thing however it makes them sound better.

Also and ffs honestly, I do understand that 30 hours of content have to be planned beforehand, thing is, to me it sounds like a turn off when you announce it before the game is released.

And I have said so not just for CDP but for most games out there, even though I went and eventually bought the DLC for them. It just doesnt click with me. I dont want to hear about extra payable content before I have even tasted the main dish. It like ordering a steak and then the waiter telling me that in 30 mins I can have a sauce for a price, that will make the dish that much more enjoyable. Perhaps the example aint that great, but whatever, enough time wasted on this.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

As usual with DLC arguments:

Evaluate the game based on the price they're charging compared to the value. Same goes for this new expansion content. No need for outrage.

That is all.

But this is how DLC has been done. For years now.

Why did they even imply that they had a different approach?

hmm well some games have good DLC but most have shitty ones. Just look at the games released over the last two years and how they have abused the DLC part.
Just to mention a few games that have missed the DLC mark entirely
Destiny, cutting shit out to sell as DLC and the DLC we get is truly a joke.
Evolve, that shit is just sad.

I guess CDP just wanted to make things clear that if its a large DLC it will cost money, if its standard small stuff, gear, character skins etc, that other developers charge for it will be free in the witcher.

Nordicus

My definition of "Ugly" would be more like if they lopped off the Prologue of the game and tried to sell it as a separate 4 hour game for $40... with the promise that I'll get to play the rest of it for $60 sometime in the future. If what CDPR has done here offends you, I cant imagine you would ever support a company thatd do something like that.. right?
HAH!

Top Bottom