• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Expansion Pass announced - $25

Bastos

Dear god, it's like some people started playing yesterday. Expansions were always a thing on PC games, and you had to pay for them. This is an Expansion and the fact that it can be downloaded doesn't mean it's a DLC if that makes any sense.

To me DLCs = minor content such as skins, small quests, etc.

Expansion = New areas, new enemies, new stories and lengthy gameplay.

Derp

Do we know the pricing? I may wait until I finish the game (since by then, if I take my sweet time, the expansions might be discounted or something). Otherwise if it's cheap I'll buy it now. I'm already spending $200 on the collectors edition (it's my first CE so don't judge me) so I'd rather not let one game destroy me financially.

ironcreed

Banned
I don't mind expansions at all if they are good. But the timing of the announcement seems weird.

The content sounds like it is being done in the old and right way, but the early announcement is just par for the course and business as usual for the times we live in. Just ignore it, enjoy the game and buy this when it is time for it to release if you are yearning for more. Simple.

frontovik

Banned
I'm fine with this. If the expansion contains a substantial amount of content then I don't mind paying for it.

I think the criticism is seriously unjustified when you believe that CDPR should always give out DLCs for free. They have to make money after the launch of the main game, so an expansion is the ideal option.

I believe that they are still committed to releasing free LC for content like skins and armour which is fine.

Damerman

Except for the fact that DLC is additional content created for a released video game. So yes, everything after release is DLC. You act like I'm as upset as you. I honestly don't care. I just like to call things how they are, and all I see is smart marketing.

what do you mean by smart maketing? what CDPR are doing or just the industry that uses the phrase DLC in general?

Virdix

I was wary until i read the 30+hours of extra gameplay, sign me up if they are doing quality content and plenty of it.

Crossing my fingers it will be included with the collectors edition that ive had pre ordered 20 minutes after it went up on amazon last year (come at me pre order haters).

Henrar

Some people who rant about announcing DLC/expansions before game is released don't know how game development works.

Nzyme32

When will developers learn to not announce DLC passes well before release.

“While we’re offering the Expansion Pass now, we want to make one thing clear: don’t buy it if you have any doubts. Wait for reviews or play The Witcher and see if you like it first. As always, it’s your call,” Iwiński concludes.

Seems up front at least. I won't be buying till I have time anyway, so this bodes pretty well for me

I have no problem with paying for real, 30+ hour expansion content, but announcing this before the game is even out is a complete head-scratcher.

Pretty substantial. No way I would buy it in advance though. I didn't even finish Witcher 2. Hopefully Witcher 3 plays much better.

Guri

It would be amazing if people complaining about they "lying" about free DLC actually read the press release and understood the difference between DLC and expansions.

Skelter

Banned
Is there a place I can purchase both the expansion pass plus the physical copy of The Witcher 3? on PC.

GameStop maybe? I actually have the Collector's Edition preordered. The one physical game I'm buying this year. I only wish I could change it to the Xbox One version since I already have a Steam copy.

Damerman

Some people who rant about announcing DLC/expansions before game is released don't know how game development works.

this... probably a huge portion of the team that has already completed its part of the project are back from vacation and ready to work.

Wow if the description of the content is accurate , $24.99 is fantastic pricing

I wonder if they are discounting for pre-order? If there's no discount, I think most people will just wait until it's out, and this move is to appease the retailers that like to push this sort of thing at POS for main game.

dex3108

This time EA did good job with DA:I DLC/expansion. There wasn't Season Pass just announcement and next day they released it.

W0y3jSb.gif

Terrible gif, the lip sync is completely off

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess

They don't have to. In fact, they shouldn't give a shit how it works. To a consumer, that only thing that matters it the best use of their money. If one feels that announcing an Expansion Pass before the launch of a game is a bit of a pisser, then they can feel that way and wait for a GOTY edition (which their WILL be one now and we all know it).

Crossing my fingers it will be included with the collectors edition that ive had pre ordered 20 minutes after it went up on amazon last year (come at me pre order haters).
It is not part of the CE as far as I can tell. No mention of it. That would be ridiculously awesome though. I really wish they would include it.

Man, some people really have a hard time differentiating DLC and expansions huh? I don't think 30 hours of extra content counts as "DLC". 2-3 hour add-ons are DLC, but not these.

So bought.

KoopaTheCasual

what do you mean by smart maketing? what CDPR are doing or just the industry that uses the phrase DLC in general?
I mean how CDPR is using the phrase DLC in the current climate, since the rest of the industry has sort of "poisoned" the word. I think DLC is great, but a lot of companies have painted people's perception into thinking "DLC=BAD!" as you can clearly see in this very thread. As some other posters have said, DLC should be judged case by case, and 20-30 hours sounds like a pretty damn good DLC.

CDPR is able to read their audience and expanded market and understand their reservations for the term DLC, and rebranding the word to avoid stigma. I think that's really smart. And while my original post was a bit tongue-in-cheek towards the people, who are getting upset by this development, I honestly think it's a very savvy business move.

Henrar

This time EA did good job with DA:I DLC/expansion. There wasn't Season Pass just announcement and next day they released it.

But the DLC was in development before the base game released. So... making DLC and announcing it this way is bad but making it before release and announcing after the rlease is somehow good?

WTF is this logic.

Skelter

Banned
They don't have to. In fact, they shouldn't give a shit how it works. To a consumer, that only thing that matters it the best use of their money. If one feels that announcing an Expansion Pass before the launch of a game is a bit of a pisser, then they can feel that way and wait for a GOTY edition (which their WILL be one now and we all know it).

Or they can just take CDPR's own advice. Don't buy it until you play the game or read reviews.

People who paid full price for that crappy DLC deserve to pay full price.

Kalamoj

Enhanced editions don't / have never included 20-30 hours of new content in any of the previous two witcher games.

I know, I just want own the whole game on physical media. I hate when my games are fragmented due to buying vanilla disc then digital stuff. And I don't think they will release expansion disks (like Rockstar).

Andodalf

Banned
Man, some people really have a hard time differentiating DLC and expansions huh? I don't think 30 hours of extra content counts as "DLC". 2-3 hour add-ons are DLC, but not these.

So bought.
No these are Dlc. They are download able content you add to a game. I have no problem with Dlc at all, I bought horse armor. But this is Dlc.

rObit

Banned
Some people in here not understanding the sentiment? They've been touting the "traditional PC" values for some time now, of which expansion packs are most certainly a part. DLC is just the modern delivery mechanism. The anti-DLC front that CDPR has put out there is obviously in reference to horse armor and the like. I guess if you're eager to jump down their throats for some reason this is as good an opportunity as you're likely to get, but its obviously coming from a shallow place of terminology semantics.

Damerman

the problem with what EA and bioware have been doing is day one DLC... if it is ready day one, why the fuck can't you just patch it in as part of the game?

Announcing DLC before release doesn't bother me at all... it's releasing content that seems like it could/should have been part of the final package.

One of the most upsetting pieces of DLC was mass effect 3's from ashe's DLC...where it allegedly seems as though they cut out a fully developed portion of the game that expands on the lore of the game.

No_Style

Even when we knew StarCraft II was going to be split into three, Blizzard didn't start asking for money before the release of Wings of Liberty. But hey, I have no problem with them offering to take people's money right now because people obviously willing to give it to them. I'd do the same if I were in their shoes.

Vire

As someone new to the series did they do expansions in the past? If so, were they any good?

funkypie

Banned
i thought they were offering 20 pieces of free DLC.

RAD going the way of every other publisher then? DLC passes before the game is out...

Top Bottom