• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 Expansion Pass announced - $25

Henrar

They don't have to. In fact, they shouldn't give a shit how it works. To a consumer, that only thing that matters it the best use of their money. If one feels that announcing an Expansion Pass before the launch of a game is a bit of a pisser, then they can feel that way and wait for a GOTY edition (which their WILL be one now and we all know it).

The DLC would have been made anyway. It doesn't really matter if it's announced before or after the release of the game.

Anyway, if you call yourself a fan of games and like them to the point of discussing them on Neogaf and other forums while not knowing how gamedev works - I think something is wrong here. Or maybe I'm naive

Virdix

A lot of the responses in this thread read like knee jerk reactions to the title and not the actual write up CDPR did about the 30+hours in the expansions and how they come out months after the game.

No these are Dlc. They are download able content you add to a game. I have no problem with Dlc at all, I bought horse armor. But this is Dlc.

Well, you're arguing semantics lol. Sure this is downloadable, whatever, it fits into the definition, but think about how different this is than horse armor, or the new dragon age quest content that came out recently.

I compare this to Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, which I don't consider DLC, it's enough content to be standalone. Same with Infamous First Light, Wolfenstein the Old Order, ect.

OmegaDL50

Damn man.

Not only do I have the Witcher 3 scenario to complete, now there is two extensive expansions on top of that.

Just recently I've been reacquainted with the CRPG genre, notably in the form of both Divinity: Original Sin (which I have yet to finish), not to mention there is Pillars of Eternity on top of that. Then there is Torment: Tides of Numenera later this year as well.

How the hell do I manage the time for all of this.

I think I've honestly reached the point of "too much of a good thing"

Is it? I can always swoop in during a Steam sale and get it on the cheap. Ahuahuah.
But you just said that you would never buy "an expansion or season pass ever again." But you just contradicted that by admitted the possibility that you might buy it on sale.

So in other words, your first post was bunk and you're actually open to buying it.

Theorry

Damn tought CD Project really was doing something different. Sure the expansion is a large one and they give free DLC. But announcing it before the release is meh. I guess even CD Project isnt the holy grail anymore. Sad. :(

Waxwing

Even when we knew StarCraft II was going to be split into three, Blizzard didn't start asking for money before the release of Wings of Liberty. But hey, I have no problem with them offering to take people's money right now because people obviously willing to give it to them. I'd do the same if I were in their shoes.

I just want the game to be successful. We don't get many games with this production value that actually try to tell a story of any complexity and/or nuance in writing. Even Pillars doesn't have the breadth and depth of content that this will. Just upping my dollar vote (kind of like how billionaires can buy the presidency these days...similar principle).

Denton

Also, you know what the first expansion means...

SHANI

And the second one....

Julian de Lettenhove and Anna Henrietta

god I am excite :p
Thank you CDP.

Damn tought CD Project really was doing something different. Sure the expansion is a large one and they give free DLC. But announcing it before the release is meh. I guess even CD Project isnt the holy grail anymore. Sad. :(
Why? What is the difference between releasing it before or after release? They've openly said that they were going to do this.

It'd be nice to see some actual discussion here rather than this insipid whining of "Wah! CDPR announced it early!"

Anno

For the life of me I don't understand this. If they waited a month after launch and announced this would you feel different? If so, why?

Skelter

Banned

This is pathetic.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
The DLC would have been made anyway. It doesn't really matter if it's announced before or after the release of the game.

Anyway, if you call yourself a fan of games and like them to the point of discussing them on Neogaf and other forums while not knowing how gamedev works - I think something is wrong here. Or maybe I'm naive

You're naive. You can discuss games and not really care about the process. There are different levels at work there. =P

Yes, the DLC would be made anyway. But here is an example I've run into with Mortal Kombat X at work. A group of customers wanted to pre-order MKX. I informed them about the Kombat Pass and asked if they wanted to pick it up as well or pre-order GameStop's LE. They didn't know about the Pass at all, saw the price ($30) and said straight up said "So, the price of the full game is $90 instead of $60? I'll wait for the Collection" and bounced.

To some people, announcing this stuff before the game is out feels like a price hike. They will feel like they aren't getting the complete game for their $60 and may get a bit ticked off. At that point, they can still get it or wait it out and buy the complete collection for cheaper.

I'm not saying its good or bad, I'm saying that some people will see it that way and they are not wrong for doing so. It's their hard earned money after all.

Truant

People don't understand how game development works. There's this weird notion that if future content is being worked on before the main game is released, then it should somehow magically appear in the game - otherwise it's a scam.

Why do you think team sizes shrink during the final months of game development? They make expansions and DLC as the main game development winds down so they can keep the full production team busy while securing future profits.

ironcreed

Banned

What they are doing is different. It's only the early announcement that is par for the course these days.

Lingitiz

Artists and story guys are done with the main game already and working on the big DLC pieces. They're merely being transparent and letting people know that bigger paid expansions are coming.

MartyStu

Like Obsidian, CDPR has earned my loyalty. I will buy this pass with my head held high.

And I continue to do so until they fuck me. Then they are dead to me (see Bioware).

I am heartened by the fact that they are comfortable with telling people not to buy it before they play the game. I know it is minor in the grand scheme of things, but it is still really good to hear.

jett

D-Member
But you just said that you would never buy "an expansion or season pass ever again." But you just contradicted that by admitted the possibility that you might buy it on sale.

So in other words, your first post was bunk and you're actually open to buying it.

There's a difference between buying a nebulous "expansion pass" months ahead before its release and buying DLC after it's actually out.

People bitching about this are pathetic.

Firstly, the base game is one of the biggest games ever made so this doesn't suddenly make it not worth your money anymore.
Second, at least when CDPR charges for extra content they make damn sure that it's A LOT of content. Considering that other publishers charge money for the most mundane things, if you want to waste your time complaining about paid dlc, this is certainly not the best place to start, especially considering all the stuff they gave away with the previous game.

I'm pretty sure that I'll want more once I beat the game so I'm glad to have the option, fortunately I'm not stupid enough to consider myself entitled to 30 hours worth of extra content just because I bought the main game.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Are you kidding me? Its called marketing. They are showing everyone they plan to support the game even further past release date.

It says it right there in the press release! If you're skeptical, wait until reviews and impressions hit before buying the content! One of the team members says that himself!!!

Did you even read the press release?

Yes.

And they're just trying to get as much money as possible before release.

Many other developers have been called out for the exact same.

Nzyme32

This is the epitome of unnecessary gamer drama

Draft

The gold standard remains Warcraft and Starcraft expansions which are almost entirely new games. A lot of art assets and units get re-used but the missions and cutscenes are all new and typically meet or exceed the length of the base game.

CDPR has bonafides so if anyone can do good by this promise, it's them. Still, when the developer says its 10 hours of content that means it's actually 8 hours and if you're fast it's probably more like 6. And that is hopefully not the length of Witcher 3's base game.

Damerman

i have a feeling that people are misinterpreting Day one DLC and announcement of DLC before release...which is very unfortunate.

There's a difference between buying a nebulous "expansion pass" months ahead before its release and buying DLC after it's actually out.
Now you're just moving the goal posts. You originally said "I don't care who makes it, I'm never buying an expansion or season pass ever again." That was written as a definitive statement.

If you had said "I don't care who makes it, I'm never preordering an expansion or season pass before I can read impressions and reviews of the content ever again," that's a different statement.

Use your words.

People bitching about this are pathetic.

Firstly, the base game is one of the biggest games ever made so this doesn't suddenly make it not worth your money anymore.
Second, at least when CDPR charges for extra content they make damn sure that it's A LOT of content. Considering that other publishers charge money for the most mundane things, if you want to waste your time complaining about paid dlc, this is certainly not the best place to start, especially considering all the stuff they gave away with the previous game.

I'm pretty sure that I'll want more once I beat the game so I'm glad to have the option, fortunately I'm not stupid enough to consider myself entitled to 30 hours worth of extra content just because I bought the main game.

They still announced laid out story DLC before the games release, now imagine Bioware pulling that stunt.

I'm sad since I thought them better than that.

Why announce it now? I don't hate full expansions but before launch isn't the best PR move. I was waiting anyways to get this (need to play the other games) but this helps wait for the GOTY edition or digital sale

Sirim

Was there an uproar about Shivering Aisles for Oblivion back in the day?

And to those who are fine with expansions but are upset that they're already announcing it, why? You'd rather buy the game and then find out later there are two expansions? If anything, having all the information available to the consumer allows us to make the most informed purchase.

There are many who like to purchase complete versions of games, and it sounds much better to be told there will be expansions ahead of time for those who would rather not purchase the game twice. For everyone else, I don't understand the issue here.

Truant

Yes.

And they're just trying to get as much money as possible before release.

Many other developers have been called out for the exact same.

CDPR isn't exactly like most other developers. Look at their track record, it's incredible.

Hystzen

Why announce it now? I don't hate full expansions but before launch isn't the best PR move. I was waiting anyways to get this (need to play the other games) but this helps wait for the GOTY edition or digital sale

Because half of the team finished ages ago on the main game and now to keep them busy working on next stuff. Plus why not now there is no point waiting to announce expansions and as they said themselves if your cynical just wait for opinions before buying

tuxfool

Banned
It clearly means they've cut content from the game and are selling it as DLC!

They had already stated that the game was content complete in February. Do people really expect half the team just to spend time spinning their wheels?

cripterion

A little while ago they said the game was complete and they were in bug fixing mode + working on the DLC, but which one? The 16 piece or the 2 expansions?

Anyway, this might have been received better if they waited after the release of the game to make such announcements.

Damerman

They still announced laid out story DLC before the games release, now imagine Bioware pulling that stunt.

I'm sad since I thought them better than that.

all devs announce that they will continue to support their game prior to release... that isn't the issue. Go read up on the "from ashes" DLC for Mass Effect 3 or Horse Armor for Elder Scrolls IV: oblivion to understand what the problem with DLC actually is.

Top Bottom