• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt |OT2| Wanted to find Ciri, but everything Gwent wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is something else. You can deactivate undisocvered POIs in the video options.

Does deactivating these still make them show up when you read notice boards? I'll sometimes read a notice that marks an undiscovered location on my map, but you can't tell where it is with so many ?'s.

pahamrick

Still thinking my biggest complaint so far about the game is the damage calculation for fall damage is seriously nuts. Be running along a path, fall down a small hill and suddenly 25-40% of your health is gone.

cresto

Only if the card has a special ability like that. It says the abilities on the card, just press R2 to zoom in. Personally I thought after three - four rounds of Gwent it all became obvious, but yeah, check out Gwent |OT|, there are tips in there, I'm sure.

I just haven't spent a lot of time with it. Hence the question. I'm going to look into it some more today.

Gattsu25

Banned
header-whole46uody.png

100% guesswork of the ending based on previous statements made by the devs:
I thought this was the third and final
CD Projekt RED game with Geralt as a main character, not the Witcher series as a whole

Amazing OP, btw.. and I love the title.

brau

Can someone give me some advice on how to use the combat system properly? I'm tag teaming this game and Dark Souls 2 and I'm finding the combat in this game nothing but frustrating. I've resorted to dropping the difficulty to easy, dropping the Yrden sign, and spamming quick attacks. But I'm not having fun and I want to figure out how the combat works.

My problem is when I'm fighting multiple enemies I can essentially get stunlocked by them all attacking me at different times. The dodge is iffy at avoiding damage and it's hard to get more than one or two hits off before getting hit by another enemy. Problem is my swords also do shit damage (I'm level 4) so if I constantly dance in, get one hit off, then dance out, it'll take forever to kill anything.

I think playing it alongside Dark Souls 2 is just emphasizing to me how janky the combat system in Witcher 3 can be, but maybe I'm missing something.

When fighting humans. Side step or block to parry. If its a lot of them dodge roll out of hte way. You can use the force push to knock people and crowd control, same as igni. I tend to hack away at enemies evenly instead of focusing on one. If i focus on one chances are i will get hacked by multiple enemies at once. So just keep on hte look out.

With monsters side step and roll.

The thing that works the most is the protective shield, and if you upgrade it it pushes enemies away and sometimes knocks them off. You can also use the mind control, upgraded it slows enemies and stuns them in place.

Also, learn to use your fast slash and heavy slash. Sometimes you want to go into a heavy slash from a fast slash and always end in a side step or a roll if you are around enemies.

I tend to not lock on enemies, and it doesn't let me engage the closest. Only with big enemies that are solo i lock to keep them always on screen.

Hmm... i think thats it. Use your bow to bring things down, or take away health from enemies as they are moving.

Hope that helps.

Chariot

100% guesswork of the ending based on previous statements made by the devs:
I thought this was the third and final
CD Projekt RED game with Geralt as a main character, not the Witcher series as a whole
They outright stated already that this is the last Geralt game, but not the last Witcher. Be at ease.

Does deactivating these still make them show up when you read notice boards? I'll sometimes read a notice that marks an undiscovered location on my map, but you can't tell where it is with so many ?'s.
I don't think so. I have deactivated the questionmarks and have none. I guess I have find these places by myself from what can read from the papers. But it's fun to ride around the place and randomly see something, instead of following such markings.

nbraun80

Can someone give me some advice on how to use the combat system properly? I'm tag teaming this game and Dark Souls 2 and I'm finding the combat in this game nothing but frustrating. I've resorted to dropping the difficulty to easy, dropping the Yrden sign, and spamming quick attacks. But I'm not having fun and I want to figure out how the combat works.

My problem is when I'm fighting multiple enemies I can essentially get stunlocked by them all attacking me at different times. The dodge is iffy at avoiding damage and it's hard to get more than one or two hits off before getting hit by another enemy. Problem is my swords also do shit damage (I'm level 4) so if I constantly dance in, get one hit off, then dance out, it'll take forever to kill anything.

I think playing it alongside Dark Souls 2 is just emphasizing to me how janky the combat system in Witcher 3 can be, but maybe I'm missing something.
1. I'd say use your spells. yrden is good to slow swarms, and ghosts, quen is good if you like to go in, just fight til it's popped, then back out and put it on again, fire is good against drowners.
2. Dodge is good, but working the side-step in works well to. you see a drowner charging, he's gonna luge, side-step, slash him, and dodge out.
3. You sound like you want to just keep hitting people until they die, and you simply can't do that. If you keep hitting, they'll dodge, others will jump you, or they'll parry, stick and move, stick and move!

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Sounds like you need to find some better weapons pronto. There are diagrams for the Viper weapons somewhere in the starting area that are fantastic early game. Also, for big groups of enemies like wolves and whatnot you probably want to use bombs to soften them up. Yrden is really only useful against wraiths and spectres, sometimes against big bosses as well. Quen and Igni are the spells you want early on for managing big crowds and not getting stunlocked to hell. Don't ignore alchemy either, it really comes in handy in specific scenarios.

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and while the game has its bullshit moments (I'm looking at you OP Wraiths) It's not too difficult to abuse certain mechanics.

Amazing OT. And the title made me lol.

Absolutely loving the game so far. I spend a lot of time just exploring the beautiful world and trying to kill stuff that I have no business of being in the presence of at my current level (13). I haven't really gotten into Gwent yet but I really should as so many people seem to love it.

If Mankind Divided and Fallout 4 come out this year we'll be in RPG heaven like in 2011!

The Witcher 2 > The Witcher 3
Xenoblade > Xenoblade Chronicles X
Skyrim > Fallout 4
Human Rev > Mankind Divided
Dark Souls > Bloodborne

And of course, we already had Pillars of Eternity and may get Persona 5! Yay!

Atkison04

I've been playing this as often as I've been able since release,which hasn't been much. I'm trying to find Iron Ingot and Silver Ingot to craft the viper sword set. How to I obtain those materials? Thanks!

Boof

Finished the game. What a ride. Has it's flaws (loading, combat, etc) but one of the best games I've played. At the end, I had full mastercrafted Ursine (including weapons) and I went with a adrenaline build. I hit like a freaking mac truck. That along with the insta kill talent at the end of the defense tree and I was unstoppable. I took basically 0 dmg from physical attacks. Magic attacks shredded me however.

Starviper

I've been playing this as often as I've been able since release,which hasn't been much. I'm trying to find Iron Ingot and Silver Ingot to craft the viper sword set. How to I obtain those materials? Thanks!

Just by searching around you should come across them; otherwise break down some other weapons to get the right materials.

Still thinking my biggest complaint so far about the game is the damage calculation for fall damage is seriously nuts. Be running along a path, fall down a small hill and suddenly 25-40% of your health is gone.

i wonder if it takes into account the amount of weight you are carrying or it's just buggy/unbalanced as shit

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD

Buy it from blacksmiths and armorers or have them dismantle equipment into iron ingots. Silver is a bit trickier since you need to buy silver then craft it into silver ingots. Check the dismantle tab at a blacksmith and you probably have something that can be broke into it.

Amazing OT for an amazing game! Thumbs up Coreda!

-----

Any idea where to find red mutagens? I have tons of blue and green ones but so far have only found 4 red.

I know Fiends and Werewolves drop them. Not sure if anything else drops them semi-consistently. Fiends are fine to fight, but god I hate fighting werewolves. Regenerating health enemies are almost always BS.

What's the consensus on the
Viper Silver Sword
?

I know it's an early game weapon, but I like it. Can I use the silver sword on creatures like ghouls or necrophages and expect similar damage as compared to my steel sword?

pahamrick

i wonder if it takes into account the amount of weight you are carrying or it's just buggy/unbalanced as shit

I'm leaning towards the latter. During the (opening spoilers, just in case)
dream sequence when you're racing Ciri down the walls, if you miss one of the ladders which is like a 4-5 foot drop, you lose a good chunk of health.

Number45

How do people identify what they can and can't sell? Or which items to dismantle? Add how far to go down the dismantling rabbit hole before stopping? I'm sure the game will let me break the items down to their component molecules if I want to. D:

I seem to have missed the option to buy saddle-bags from the vendor you save (they were there first time I checked but I didn't have the cash, now they're not there) and now I can't find any for sale.

Sounds like you need to find some better weapons pronto. There are diagrams for the Viper weapons somewhere in the starting area that are fantastic early game. Also, for big groups of enemies like wolves and whatnot you probably want to use bombs to soften them up. Yrden is really only useful against wraiths and spectres, sometimes against big bosses as well. Quen and Igni are the spells you want early on for managing big crowds and not getting stunlocked to hell. Don't ignore alchemy either, it really comes in handy in specific scenarios.

I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and while the game has its bullshit moments (I'm looking at you OP Wraiths) It's not too difficult to abuse certain mechanics.
I found these (I actually found the location before the quest, but the box needed the key from the quest), but I don't have the materials to make them. I'm sure my loot is being stolen or something, I could have sworn I had two iron ore. :'(

justjim89

The potion system in this is such bullshit. Instead of lasting several minutes, like all the other games, let's limit the player to only 3 potions and only have them last 20 seconds. You know how you're gonna be riding across the country side, fighting shit all the time? Better hope you pick the right three 20-second intervals to heal!

Or you could eat food, which heals health marginally and doesn't stack, so you have to eat one piece at a time.

Ugh, who thought this would be a good change? There's no preparing for combat anymore. It's just so much more action gamey.

Chariot

dream sequence when you're racing Ciri down the walls, if you miss one of the ladders which is like a 4-5 foot drop, you lose a good chunk of health.
Got a good laugh out of me. Geralt, Witcher of legends, breaking his legs while racing a kid.
What's the easiest way to gain EXP? Side missions?
Au contraire. Story is your main boost for exp. Sidemissions give generally relatively little exp, except for contracts.

PFD

Is it possible to extract the soundtrack from the game files? I already got the 35 track soundtrack from Steam, but it's missing like half the music from the game.

Fliesen

So... that played time on PS4 can't be accurate. I believe Suspend / Resume fucks with it.

i have played plenty of Witcher 3 this week (being on legitimate(!) sick leave since monday) ... but not THAT much.

J0wNXzP.jpg

3 days, maybe. 117 hours, no way!

Chariot

The potion system in this is such bullshit. Instead of lasting several minutes, like all the other games, let's limit the player to only 3 potions and only have them last 20 seconds. You know how you're gonna be riding across the country side, fighting shit all the time? Better hope you pick the right three 20-second intervals to heal!

Or you could eat food, which heals health marginally and doesn't stack, so you have to eat one piece at a time.

Ugh, who thought this would be a good change? There's no preparing for combat anymore. It's just so much more action gamey.
You do know you can refill your potions while meditating with alcohol?

Yeul

Is it possible to extract the soundtrack from the game files? I already got the 35 track soundtrack from Steam, but it's missing like half the music from the game.

Oh god I would love for someone to do this. I'm waiting for the purely instrumental version of the song that plays when you're sailing in Skellige. It's like a totally stripped down version of the song "Fields of Ard Skellig". Hopefully soooooon.

What's the consensus on the
Viper Silver Sword
?

I know it's an early game weapon, but I like it. Can I use the silver sword on creatures like ghouls or necrophages and expect similar damage as compared to my steel sword?
both
viper swords
are the best kit of equipment youll find until you reach level 8+(IMO), still was hard to switch my silver one because i loved that 20%+ xp from monsters

you know what you are right, i almost died when i jumped with
Ciri

Alpende

So... that played time on PS4 can't be accurate. I believe Suspend / Resume fucks with it.

i have played plenty of Witcher 3 this week (being on legitimate(!) sick leave since monday) ... but not THAT much.

3 days, maybe. 117 hours, no way!

Yeah, it's a known issue.

Fliesen

Yeah, it's a known issue.

oh ok. because people kept saying "press R2 on character screen" when others asked about how to tell your played time; without adding "but that number's bollocks!"

so i guess it's a known issue but not widely known among players.

Not like it really matters, though.

Best game I've ever played!

Pack it up, generation!

CDPR has rocketed past Rockstar as my favorite devs with this game.

yeah ... no.
In content, maybe. Not in polish.

So how long is just the main story quests? Im playing on "just the story mode" and I just finished the
Bloody Baron
quest.

Just wondering how long the main quest takes so I can trade it in for ESO by June 9th.

thanks guys!

after playing the Witcher 3 did anyone buy the expansion pass? i did and i have no regrets.

Thanks for reminding me, I need to do that. I got the game with my GPU and I'm sure they get money for that, but I need to support them as much as possible because the game is so damn good.

Yeul

So how long is just the main story quests? Im playing on "just the story mode" and I just finished the
Bloody Baron
quest.

Just wondering how long the main quest takes so I can trade it in for ESO by June 9th.

thanks guys!

I finished the game in about 48 hours give or take.

Chariot

Bloody Baron
quest.

thanks guys!
Man, this post makes me so sad.
I'm playing on PC and have had zero problems. *shrug*
I sadly get some random frezzes sometimes. Keeps my quicksaving finger quick tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom