• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness is being heavily pirated. J. Blow says piracy could impact his future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.

Can I pirate the game? I mean it's not like dev is losing money. If I really want to play the game and there are easy way to obtain it for free, why the hell not?

It's not like I will buy the game in the first place right?

I mean, it's ok in neogaf. We should absolutely encourage the behavior. let's make thread to show off how much pirated stuff we accumulate and how much money we saved over the years.

Saying that everyone who pirate would probably not buy the game if it was the only alternative is not supporting piracy.

He reinvested a lot of that Braid money, at great personal risk, back into making The Witness. In an era where people are hedging such risks with crowdfunding, it's a shame Johnathan Blow is being punished in such a manner if piracy is really taking a noticeable chunk.

Not defending piracy, but crowdfunding really wasn't a thing 5 years ago. It barely became a visible, viable thing for alot of game devs 3 years back even. If Blow made another game, I'm betting he would use kickstarter or the like.

Out of curiosity, I just visited said "well known pirate site" and took a look at how many people are sharing The Witness and there's currently about 1600 in total, so I'm assuming that's 2-3000 over the course of the week?

I don't like that anyone is doing it, given that the game seems very much deserving of it's price tag. But 3000, while it sucks, doesn't seem like a gigantic loss. When all's said and done, this game is going to sell 500,000 (more or less, I'm open to being corrected here) and those pirated numbers don't seem like they'll make a massive impact. And that's also considering that most of these people just don't like paying and would've never bought it anyway.

If you watch the numbers of people actually sharing these files, it seems like they are getting smaller and smaller every month. The #1 pirated game pales in numbers to #1 movie or TV show. Denuvo etc appears to be putting the practice on borrowed time. Another question would be why there appears to be little to no protection on a high profile release like The Witness?

B33

Banned
No he doesn't. Those people wouldn't have bought it anyways. No condoning piracy at all but equating the amount of copies pirated to lost sales is a farce. The RIAA tried to tout this claim around for years on behalf of the music industry and its just not true.

Its kinda strange, especailly as it has been proven time and time again that piracy is more of a digital hordism and nothing that translates to anything like normal consumer behaviour.

If you think Piracy is a lost sale, you are being willfully tone-deaf and allowing a moral objection cloud understanding of the available data.

It may not translate precisely, but the existence of piracy does lead to a loss of revenue no matter the medium.

Every creator deserves to be compensated for their work. It is a shame that so many people decide that they are entitled to benefit from a work without giving back.

That being said, releasing a DRM free version of a game comes with inherent risks that the creator should have considered before agreeing to release. If the creator was not willing to accept those risks, then the DRM free version should not have been released.

But the problem is how do you solve this?

From a dev/pub perspective, you understand the risks and benefits of the various distribution platforms available. You gauge your own tolerance for these risks and benefits, and release on those platforms you have comfort.

Even if you do make the game uncrackable, how many of those people are going to buy the game anyway? Because the concern many have is that when you start going down that path, the results can often lead to solutions that ultimately don't work anyway that are intrusive to paying customers.

Technology like Denuvo is helping to reduce those problems customers had with old DRM technologies. Yes, some people don't like any form of DRM, but there has to be a compromise. If customers don't like Denuvo and similar technology, it's completely understandable. Unfortunately, releasing DRM free versions isn't a viable strategy for everyone.

Or alternatively, it leads to people thinking "you know, we shouldn't release a PC version at all" which I think is an unfortunate disaster.

This is precisely where the industry was going before the debut of STEAM.

This is extremely disappointing as a PC fan to be told "we don't want your money because other PC players are pirates."

Well this all depends on the costs associated with the development of the PC product that is being released. If you're spending a lot of money, getting a little money back from the customers who wish to compensate the producer for that game isn't good enough.

For development on any platform to continue, devs and pubs must see a path to profitability. This isn't just a PC problem. But, if a customer base shows itself to be small or, in the case here, risky/uncertain, then decisions have to be made whether or not to release on that platform.

I don't think that Witness sales have a strong link with huge piracy.

Many games, even smaller profile and modest marketing, have great sales. Take a look at Dragon's Dogma: 200k+ sales already, it has no strong protection and is already on trackers. Hurtworld (early access survival game) is sitting at near 250k. Perhaps these are market trends, but I would also argue that those games communicate value and are priced way better than The Witness is.

People just don't see value in The Witness. The game doesn't have strong visuals, story is ambiguous and not the selling point, the game's mechanics are solely puzzles, no multiplayer or co-op elements and $40 price tag. There are so many potential customers on Steam that low sales usually indicate low interest as opposed to strong piracy.

I will just get the game when it lands in one of the Humble Bundles some day. That is inevitable...

Bluenoser

Not an excuse, but I would imagine most people pirating it are doing so because they aren't sure they will like it, and don't want to spend the money on something they will play for 15 minutes then uninstall.

I really doubt the majority of pirates will play the game through, but many of those that actually do enjoy the game will probably buy it to support the developer.

Exactly. It's weird that people think these people will happily steal 8 years of someone's hard work with all disregard for moral conscience, but if it was $20 they'd be like "oh hey I should make sure I buy it and give the dev hard earned money"

Not likely

The game would easily sell more at a lower cost, which could equate to a higher sales overall. The root problem of this game though is the time/money it cost to make it and trying to get that money back with a higher priced digital only game price tag.

What's his solution though?

More DRM?
"Somebody" (who?) go after the pirates?

He's not any more affected by this than other PC devs... Yes, it sucks - but even a quick chat with a few other devs would've given him any idea of the average rate of piracy on a PC game... and unless you're gonna do something clever to stop them, it should be part of your expectations from the start.

Green Yoshi

I'm going to wait for the inevitable free PSN Plus version in 6-12 months. Every digital game I have ever wanted has ended up free. I want this game and will wait.

I think it will take longer than 12 months, because it's a 40$ game. But you might get it for 20$ in a Christmas sale on PS4. Or for 10$ in a Steam sale at the end of the year.

Koyuga

The problem is a demo for this type of game would be extremely hard to do where it shows off the game well and also doesn't spoil the experience. Having for example the intro area as a demo would leave a bad taste for most everyone playing it as its extremely simple, but its also the only area you could really isolate to make into a demo experience since the game is completely open. I think the only way you could make a good and proper demo is if you made it like The Stanley Parable did, but then you'd have to build something completely new.

Yeah, I think something like Stanley Parable would probably be the way to go here. That was an excellent demo.

daveo42

Banned
No, the game is fairly priced and pirates are poor fucks who shouldn't play a game if they can't afford it - despite having a computer than can run it.

Should have put strict DRM on it.

True, but still a very sad sentiment. He even stated he wanted to sell the game DRM-free because he like the idea of people actually owning the game, but that will more than likely be put in place soonish.

Lingitiz

No, the game is fairly priced and pirates are poor fucks who shouldn't play a game if they can't afford it - despite having a computer than can run it.

And add intrusive stuff to mess with paying customers? Seems like a bad deal to me.

Fuck piracy, but going hard in the opposite direction is not the answer. It wasn't the answer 10 years ago and still isn't the answer now.

How do people still think there are not paying customers on Steam when it has by far become the primary market for indies?

Not only that, but people had the same response to Braid being $20. People were pissed over $5 and he dropped the price THE NEXT DAY:

This doesn't even begin to be comparable. Not only was Braid his first game, it also came out on PC significantly later than it did on XBLA, at which point it had - as the quote you yourself pasted said - already made a profit.

kuroshiki

How does rational thinking is supporting piracy?

Do you actually think that everyone who commit theft (not just in gaming) would buy the thing they"re stealing if stealing wasn't an option?

Not everyone. But certainly will limit the fact.

Think this way. Why theft is bad?

Theft is forbidden in free market economy because it actually financially, hinders content/creator/sales provider.

Theft happens -> person loses money -> that person financially hit and do not spend money on something that he should have -> chain reaction happens.

If there is absolutely, nothing will be lost (in terms of value), theft would have been perfectly OK. And because apparently in terms of game, and ONLY game, that piracy or stolen goods do not affect economy of the game (because, you see, people who pirate the game wouldn't have dared to purchase the product in the very first place no matter what), there is no market lost, no money lost, nothing of the value has been demolished.

It's OK to pirate. It's different from physical good stealing, apparently.

The rational that piracy do not affect sales at all has been proven false in South Korea market decades ago. Entire PS2 market and PC market collapsed because of piracy in there.

Then again the prevailing sentiment seems to be that $40 is too much for a puzzle game, regardless of how pretty it is.
I really think this sentence sums up everything one needs to know about any "price controversy" surrounding this game.

As someone who plays a ton of indie games, even I had this thought pass through my mind. I'm also waiting on a sale. ANY sale.

There are people in this thread that thinks the pirates copies are lost sales.

There's naive and then there's naive.

Oh, and some of them are getting angry. It's hilarious.

I had a friend who always justified his pirating of movies by saying that he'd never pay to see them anyway so it's not like they're losing money.

Then he was caught and faced a lawsuit. Ended up settling for $3000 out-of-court.

Guess what? Nowadays he still watches movies all the time, whether he's buying them on Blu-ray or renting them digitally. He's done pirating though.

Pirates can make up all these bullshit excuses for why they pirate and how they aren't stealing and how they'd never buy the things they pirate anyway, but in the end, it's just that: Bullshit.

No one is arguing that EVERY pirated game equals one lost sale, but to try to say that pirating doesn't affect sales at all? Now that's truly naive.

Exuro

Not really. It'd be an extremely easy thing to demo. You slice out a few areas that you think are good examples of how the puzzle solving works, you give players access to that. Don't have it just be the intro area--absolutely not, but some of the areas close to the intro would be pretty ideal for this.

And then if someone decides to buy the full version of the game, they can go, "Oh! I've already solved this bit. Easy!" and move on. They still learnt the lessons from how to solve those puzzles, they've still had the experience themselves.
I disagree. The fact that you have to slice things up as well as add additional things to sliced said things(due to being open world, need to block it off if you're just cutting out chunks) makes it not extremely easy to demo. That's not something you can whip up in an afternoon, unlike other demos that can segment part of the linear game. You then also have to consider what it is you're showing. If you're just showing a few puzzles to show off mechanics then you're not giving the full game justice. There's a lot more in this than the screen puzzles and having a demo present it as just that would make me not want to purchase the full game. Main reason I bought it was because I knew there would be crazy things since this comes from the braid dev. My issue is if you demo the game you don't want to show too much, but then by not showing much people will have a perception that the game is just screen puzzles. The Stanley Parable demo is the best and imo only way to do a proper demo for this type of game, but that would had been something they had to plan in advance.

Deft Beck

You heard it here first, folks - literally no one, and especially not a pretty significant number of people, pirates things just because you can get things that cost money for free.

Those people are not your primary customers. Everyone in a particular demographic is a potential customer, but only specific people in that demographic will always pay. The goal is to make it more worthwhile to pay and expand that pool.

Morts

Its kinda strange, especailly as it has been proven time and time again that piracy is more of a digital hordism and nothing that translates to anything like normal consumer behaviour.

If you think Piracy is a lost sale, you are being willfully tone-deaf and allowing a moral objection cloud understanding of the available data.

Oh come on. No one is saying 1 pirated copy = 1 lost sale, but it's not unreasonable to say that 100,000 pirated copies equates to SOME lost sales. Which is something worth talking about.

Lothars

Name all the $40 puzzle games.

I don't think it's unfair to suppose that $40 is out of step for the genre if your goal is to sell in volume.

I can't because I don't know prices of most puzzle games released but again that doesn't make my point wrong, Puzzle games are not niche games, anyone who says they are have really no clue what they are talking about.

I think it is out of touch to say that it's out of step.

Sylas

they aren't, but the notion that pirates dont have options is silly.

and these are things you can see in a video, like the Giant Bomb quick look for example. and yeah, lots of folks would tell you that if you cant afford a luxury, then do not get one until you can. That's common sense, youre not entitled to luxuries after all.

I mean... Again, I'm fairly certain there have been developers that say that regions in which there game wasn't available for sale are regions where they saw the most piracy for their game.

Piracy isn't right, but there aren't always options for someone who wants to play the game, would pay for it--but simply can't.

To your second point, you aren't entitled to luxuries but if someone wants to make money, it makes business sense to try and appeal to people that might not necessarily be able to easily afford your product. Unless your demographic is purely among people who have disposable income--which I think it's safe to say videogames are not marketed towards that demographic.

Watching a quicklook for the game is literally anathema to how most people are saying you should experience the game for the first time. This is a game that you need to experience, everyone is saying.

I can't believe I'm actually arguing with someone over why a demo might be a good thing for a niche game that a lot of people have admitted to being wary over to begin with.

I disagree. The fact that you have to slice things up as well as add additional things to slice said thing makes it not extremely easy to demo. Thats not something you can whip up in an afternoon, unlike other demos that can segment part of the linear game. You then also have to consider what it is you're showing. If you're just showing a few puzzles to show off mechanics then you're not giving the full game justice. There's a lot more in this than the screen puzzles and having a demo present it as just that would make me not want to purchase the full game.

I'm being vague in the interest of avoiding spoilers, but there's literally a path that leads outside of the starting area. If you follow that path, it takes you to 2 areas that I'm thinking of that would make for pretty good demos! As for the second part of your statement... I mean, we're getting into the argument that you need to give the game "time" to really get going, and that's gonna be a strange thing to sell regardless. If a game doesn't show me something I'm interested in within a certain time limit, I'm not gonna be interested even if someone says, "Oh! It gets really good 6 hours in!"

Steam Refunds are not Game Demos.

This is correct. The biggest reason for that is Steam Refunds can sometimes take a week or more to process. I feel like if the people who say "just use Steam refunds to see if the game works for you" had ever actually used the Steam refund system, they would see that it just doesn't work. It takes way too long to get your money back with the Steam refund system for pirates to find that more appealing than just torrenting the game and seeing if it works there before laying down any money on it.

Not to mention Valve might see it as kinda shady if you use Steam Refunds constantly to demo games, putting you at risk for refund denial when you genuinely need a refund on a game you had no intention of potentially refunding before you bought it.

Yukinari

So unlike the Hotline Miami and Witcher developers he would rather dwell on piracy than how popular his game is right now?

luchifer

Banned
I kept hearing pirates dont buy originals, and piracy dont affect sales, yet Playstation and XBox sales are strong, despite the fact they cant pirate games,and in PC we had eleven million players in WoW at one point.

This doesn't even begin to be comparable. Not only was Braid his first game, it also came out on PC significantly later than it did on XBLA, at which point it had - as the quote you yourself pasted said - already made a profit.

Has nothing to do with being comparable, it has to do with Blow's knowledge that people are going to be mad over the price. They were mad when it was $15 on XBLA, they were mad when it was $20 on PC, and now they're mad the Witness is $40.

He has a history of pricing his games at the top end of what the market will bear. He should have (and probably did) know this would be the response.

And your unbiased research source backing up this assertion is?

There is a %, however small, of those people who pirate that would have bought the game.

Piracy is an opportunity cost. Just because you want to believe the every single one of the people that pirated the game would not have bought the game doesn't make it true.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I also agree the lack of proper marketing or demos has probably hurt the game image. I had to watch a video with jim sterling about what the game was and it was basically the first hour or so of gameplay. After watching that i was not ready to buy the game at 40$. Mostly because I could see myself getting bired with it.

Now if i had played the game myself, it may have been different because the art the sound design and more would have came through in my personal experience. But I am not paying 40$ to find out if its something like that because I may end up of the mindset of "this game isnt for me" and then i just wasted 40$.

But back on topic, pirates would pirate this anyways so if Blow is disappointed with sales then he should probably look at the price point first.

Alucrid

Banned
There are people in this thread that thinks the pirates copies are lost sales.

There's naive and then there's naive.

Oh, and some of them are getting angry. It's hilarious.

1 pirated copy isn't 1 lost sale. ok

10000 pirated copies equals no lost sales. ok

Carlius

Banned
i dont agree wth piracy, but the strawman argument that money is lost due to it, is flowed imo. not every seed is a lost sale. to be honest, i havent heard the piracy argument in a while, not even from ubisoft. i hope we ont go back to it since pc has grown enough to counter that argument.

Tenebrous

Because punishing the legitimate buyers is surely going to make those pirates change their ways when the DRM is inevitably cracked.

Nabbis

Why the fuck do you pirate a game if you were not going to buy it anyway? You can always wait for a sale if you think the price is too high at the current moment.

I just bought it.

If people aren't satisfied with the price, then don't buy it, but pirating it despite the outrage over the pricing or as some form of spite is...well, childish beyond belief.

Oh come on. No one is saying 1 pirated copy = 1 lost sale, but it's not unreasonable to say that 100,000 pirated copies equates to SOME lost sales. Which is something worth talking about.

"Some" lost sales is impossible to quantify and ridiciulous to worry about.

There are games on steam that lost sales because they used the wrong font or screenshot on the game page.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Every creator deserves to be compensated for their work. It is a shame that so many people decide that they are entitled to benefit from a work without giving back.

That being said, releasing a DRM free version of a game comes with inherent risks that the creator should have considered before agreeing to release. If the creator was not willing to accept those risks, then the DRM free version should not have been released.

This is my thought also. Additionally, if you are hinging the future of your career as a developer on people not pirating your game then you should understand that releasing a DRM free version of said game probably isn't a good idea.

I'm certainly not trying to blame the victim here, but this is a business and as a business I feel like you should understand the market you're selling to as best as possible.

Freeman76

I feel for the dude, unfortunately though its the nature of the beast. Did he expect to release it on PC and avoid piracy?

Lanrutcon

I kept hearing pirates dont buy originals, and piracy dont affect sales, yet Playstation and XBox sales are strong, despite the fact they cant pirate games,and in PC we had eleven million players in WoW at one point.

Ok, I've heard it all now. WoW was used in a piracy thread.

Ok guys, we've solved it: reason The Witness is getting pirated is because it doesn't have enough shitty recolored orcs.

Case closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom