• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness price revealed ($39.99 / €36.99)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

Why have you quoted the first paragraph in which they express doubt and ignored the second paragraph in which he admits he was an idiot doubting?

30 minutes of game time later and it’s clear my doubts were misplaced. The Witness is a simple game at heart, one involving no item ferrying and no inventory management. I slowly pick my way through a quiet island and simply interact with electronic screens to open doors and manipulate the world. And I’m transfixed. The puzzles are more inventive than I could have imagined, and labelling them as simply ‘drawing lines through panels’ is akin to lumping every Braid feature under a ‘rewinding time’ banner.

exactly.

Shabad

Would something like this really attract a lot of attention on the shelves?

800px-The_witness_poster.jpg

This is gorgeous !

Gotta feel a bit bad for those for whom the difference between $40 or $60 is a significant factor. I always thought this would be a $60 title, so $40 is all the better to hear. This is my most anticipated title of the year.

That blows my mind. Have mobile devices really gotten that powerful the they could run games in such a massive 3D environment? Never in a million years would I have thought phones could run what we've seen of the game so far.
GTA San Andreas, Bioshock, Oddworld Strangers Wrath, realMyst, and Brothers are on mobile. Titan Quest is releasing later this year

Modern IOS devices can run Unreal Engine 4, Cryengine, and Unity 5

duckroll

That blows my mind. Have mobile devices really gotten that powerful the they could run games in such a massive 3D environment? Never in a million years would I have thought phones could run what we've seen of the game so far.

???????

Modern phones are more powerful than some laptops these days.

Nipo

I have a significant back log so at that price I'll wait for impressions and unless the game is the second coming a good sale.

Phinor

Why have you quoted the first paragraph in which they express doubt and ignored the second paragraph in which he admits he was an idiot doubting?

Umm. Because significant number of people still think the game is "just about drawing lines in grids, which sounds dull"? The second quote obviously denies that, but it doesn't change the fact that a lot of people think the game is about drawing lines and that's about it. Not everyone digs every bit of information about games that might interest them. Hopefully the reviews finally change the public perception of the game.

Or maybe he really didn't read the second paragraph but I thought he was just pointing out something that is true for a lot of people. The Witness has been kind of a mystery for a long time and all many people have heard about it is that it takes place on an island, and there's grids to draw lines on. Doesn't sound like a 50-100 hour $40 game at first glance.

WITHE1982

Thanks to the internet, that 1% becomes 100%. Personally I'll try until I've exhausted everything that occurs to me and if I fail after that, and I'm enjoying the game enough to continue, I'll just Google the answer.

Same here.

Although reading a few articles on the puzzle elements it seems that not every one has to be solved to progress. You can always wander off and explore, do a few more then come back later. A bit like a lunchtime crossword that's had you stumped for a while. Then when you do solve it, for the briefest moment, you feel like Einstein.

6 days can't come soon enough. My brain's aching to get into this.

That's a pretty good listen, thanks!

De nada

Fbh

I'm fine with $40 if the game is good. And what I've seen looks pretty nice.

But:

40 - 50 hours to complete sounds even less appealing than the $40 pricetag.

This.
I'm personally not the biggest fan of pure puzzle games. I love Portal 1 and 2 but I probably wouldn't have finished either of them if they were 50+ hours long.

I'd still be interested if it combines a good plot or characters with good puzzles (and not just 50 hours of puzzles for the sake of having 50 hours of puzzles). I guess time will tell

Any idea when to expect reviews of this one? I'd love to check out the Giantbomb Quick Look for a game like this, if it's really going to take like 20 hours to beat.

RexNovis

Banned
???????

Modern phones are more powerful than some laptops these days.

That's nuts. I don't really play mobile games at all and only got my first smartphone last year so I'm a bit behind the times when it comes to mobile tech. Needless to say I'm impressed.

I guess to me mobile game were stuff like Hearthstone or Jetpack Joyride as those are the only sorts of games I've seen in mobile. The idea that there are 3D games running on cellphones is mind blowing to me. At least I know now.

Fdkn

Is this sarcasm? How is the witness not a "real game?" Last I checked it was interactive peice of software wherein you explore and solve puzzles in a large 3d rendered environment. That certainly sounds like a game to me.

well yeah I think it was obvious enough :p

roytheone

As someone that was getting a bit sick of a lot of indie games looking very much alike, I love this new development of more ambitious, bigger indie games. If the higher price is a necessity to make that happen, then I have 0 problems with that.

I continue to smh @ reaction threads like this. We complain about the lack of mid-tier pricing in the industry but stuff like this or the Oddworld remake get priced in the $30-$40 range and out come these absurd opinions from the woodwork. It's only going to happen more and more as indy devs who found success with smaller titles try their hands at bigger and more ambitious games. We should be celebrating these kinds of releases. I'm sure the No Man's Sky price thread will be even stranger with all types of back assward logic.

Looking forward to whatever the hell The Witness is.

TechJunk

Gotta feel a bit bad for those for whom the difference between $40 or $60 is a significant factor. I always thought this would be a $60 title, so $40 is all the better to hear. This is my most anticipated title of the year.

Admittedly I haven't been keeping a close eye on it, but in my mind it was always going to be a $15 or $20 game so $39.99 USD ($45 CAD?) is sticker shock.
I'll do like lots of people here and wait for a sale.

Nzyme32

what is this game about?

That's part of the mystery of the game, much like older games like Myst, of which the Witness is a bit of an homage to. You learn about the world as you play and the variety of puzzles / mechanics / locations and how they fit together.

TheRyanx2

Neo Member
This is looking pretty great to me. I'm going to try to wait to pull the trigger until i see some feedback/reviews, but assuming its pretty good, I have no issues with the $40 price tag.

Was super excited for this ages ago. Do we know if it's all those line puzzles or are there a bunch of different puzzle types that crop up throughout the island?

So this means about $80 in Canada then, right :(?
Regardless, I'll be getting this. Been interested in it forever and I'm glad it's finally (almost) here.

I've seen a lot of people say they're happy with the price conversion for this game when pre-orders went up on steam. Apparently it's $43.99 on the canadian steam store, so hopefully the same can be said when it goes up on PSN.

Nzyme32

Was super excited for this ages ago. Do we know if it's all those line puzzles or are there a bunch of different puzzle types that crop up throughout the island?

From PC gamer's playthrough:

"30 minutes of game time later and it’s clear my doubts were misplaced. The Witness is a simple game at heart, one involving no item ferrying and no inventory management. I slowly pick my way through a quiet island and simply interact with electronic screens to open doors and manipulate the world. And I’m transfixed. The puzzles are more inventive than I could have imagined, and labelling them as simply ‘drawing lines through panels’ is akin to lumping every Braid feature under a ‘rewinding time’ banner."

mattp

ugh i dont think i can read this thread anymore
i'll be back when there's an OT full of people actually playing the game to discuss puzzles and theories

lol to the people that are gonna pay $40 for line puzzles

And? That's the same price similar puzzle games were.

For example Portal 2 was $50, The Talos Principle is $40. I don't get what's wrong with the price for puzzle games with the amount of content to offer.

You belittle a game to "line puzzles" but all puzzle games have a very simple mechanic at its heart, its simple mechanic(s) are not indicative of the thought one has to put into a puzzle to solve it.

In. Would be in if it was $60. Don't care.
We need more puzzle/exploration games, and though I was skeptical for The Talos Principle it quickly became one of my favourite games of all time.

Nzyme32

And? That's the same price similar puzzle games were.

For example Portal 2 was $50, The Talos Principle is $40. I don't get what's wrong with the price for puzzle games with the amount of content to offer.

You belittle a game to "line puzzles" but all puzzle games have a very simple mechanic at its heart, that's not indicative of the thought one has to put into a puzzle to solve because it simply has a simple mechanic.

I think more to the point, it is pretty reductionist to belittle the game as line puzzles alone when it is clearly so much more.

Just as Braid has been labeled as "rewind time", the actual most core mechanic is time. However there was so much in terms of mechanics to go with that - applying mainpulation to different objects, movement, distance, independent and dependant objects / surfaces, rewind and fastforward functions etc etc but then also using these to solve puzzles of the actual level itself.

Similarly for The Witness, the most core mechanic is electronic panels on which puzzles are line based. However, not only are the line puzzles diverse in their own mechanics, they serve as a metagame for solving puzzles and manipulating the actual world. As pictured line puzzles form the method of traveling in a boat. They can open doors, activate connected objects / machinery that may be part of actual world based puzzles. The line puzzles don't necessarily have a single answer, which may produce other outcomes and solve different puzzles.

Much like Myst, there is much to explore and solve, but in doing so understand the world and what other purposes exist.

I think more to the point, it is pretty reductionist to belittle the game as line puzzles alone when it is clearly so much more.

Just as Braid has been labeled as "rewind time", the actual most core mechanic is time. However there was so much in terms of mechanics to go with that - applying mainpulation to different objects, movement, distance, independent and dependant objects / surfaces, rewind and fastforward functions etc etc but then also using these to solve puzzles of the actual level itself.

Similarly for The Witness, the most core mechanic is electronic panels on which puzzles are line based. However, not only are the line puzzles diverse in their own mechanics, they serve as a metagame for solving puzzles and manipulating the actual world. As pictured line puzzles form the method of traveling in a boat. They can open doors, activate connected objects / machinery that may be part of actual world based puzzles. The line puzzles don't necessarily have a single answer, which may produce other outcomes and solve different puzzles.

Much like Myst, there is much to explore and solve, but in doing so understand the world and what other purposes exist.
Even if we're going to compare it to Portal, all you do in that game is connect two spots with a pair of portals. That's what you're doing for the game, It's how the game explores that mechanic that gives Portal its variety.

Or SpaceChem. All you doing is drawing paths and combining things. But it's the intricacy and different elements on top of that main mechanic that makes SpaceChem so challenging and varied

Same here. Yes, at its core, you're using drawing lines on panels, but it's how the game explores that mechanic. And we've seen several examples in trailers and read in previews to how Blow evolves and expands the mechanic, and merges it with the environment and exploring

Top Bottom