• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness price revealed ($39.99 / €36.99)

iFirez

This comes out in six days right? The 26th?

How are people planning to play this? I was originally going to play it on PS4 as thats where I saw it originally been played and shown. But as it's releasing day and date on PC too, I'm debating picking it up on there instead.

cyba89

I hate it when developers justify their price with the game's duration for completionnists. Please tell me about the quality, the enjoyment, the actual number of puzzles, the game world size, the depth, ...

Blow told us much more about this game during development than just the length.

daxy

I hate it when developers justify their price with the game's duration for completionnists. Please tell me about the quality, the enjoyment, the actual number of puzzles, the game world size, the depth, ...

Number of puzzles is already a known, 667 at least, game world size is as pointless a metric as duration. Quality, enjoyment, depth? That's up to you. A game consisting of a single hallway could be one of the deepest/best/most enjoyable experiences you've ever had, like P.T. for many.

You want the developer to quantify these (subjective) things that can't be quantified. If you want to know more about the Witness, go look for interviews where he talks about game instead of trying to find 'sell me on it' bulletpoints on GAF.

Here's a start. This interview was posted earlier in the thread and Blow goes into the design philosophy of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGsY9j9VMnQ

IaN_GAF

Good news, that's a few euro less than I was expecting. I will be getting this game sooner rather than later it would seem.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How many dollars for letters are we spending? I need to be outraged!

$4 per letter. Which seems decent value.

But as is typical with greedy devs these days, they've added 'the' to make the game appear better value that it really is. Without that padding, it would be a ridiculous $5.71 per letter.

Compare that to the amaxing value for money you are getting with 'Tom Clancy's The Division'. Only $2.85 per letter, and they throw in an apostrophe *completely free*

Fishook

Buying members of the public look a cheaper physical new releases as rubbish game therefore poor sales, or they could a limited edition run.

How many copies would a average retail store stock, less than 5 on most occasions. These niche titles are supported by gamer's rather the mass market consumer, so I can understand the developers stance.

No matter what they charge people moan, they can't win any way. Just look at the success of free to play games. Paying for cosmetic items is the biggest waste of money but people pay it.

WITHE1982

Perfect price IMO. Leaves £10 in my wallet for A Boy and His Blob.

Can't wait for The Witness now. So Hyped to finally play one of the games that I originally bought a PS4 for.

Number45

Ugh, I really do dislike the arbitrary valuation automatically assigned to indie/digital only games. The price is a non issue for me - primarily because I won't pick it up at launch (thanks, PSN wishlist functionality [finally]), but also because what I know of the game is intriguing and that's enough for me to take the plunge even on a full price game.

Paying for cosmetic items is the biggest waste of money but people pay it.
Hey now. The sorrow emote is worth every piece of silver I paid.

SentryDown

Number of puzzles is already a known, 667 at least, game world size is as pointless a metric as duration. Quality, enjoyment, depth? That's up to you. A game consisting of a single hallway could be one of the deepest/best/most enjoyable experiences you've ever had, like P.T. for many.

You want the developer to quantify these (subjective) things that can't be quantified. If you want to know more about the Witness, go look for interviews where he talks about game instead of trying to find 'sell me on it' bulletpoints on GAF.

Here's a start. This interview was posted earlier in the thread and Blow goes into the design philosophy of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGsY9j9VMnQ

That's not the point though, I know the game and what it has to offer, I'm just sad that they need to justify a price by giving us the technical sheet (it's even worse on the PS Blog with this chart with the number of game files nobody will understand). We're talking of video games, not vacuum cleaners, there's an experience behind the code and my enjoyment isn't measured in dollars spent per hour

MaxiLive

Hard to say if its a fair price as there are no reviews for the game.

But from what I've read and seen about the game it seems like I'll easily get £30 worth of enjoyment out of it! I'm in.

McFadge

All-In.jpg

AHA-Lambda

Why? It's not like the game pushes hardware, it runs on integrated graphics of last gen.

It's not so much specs as market, why iOS? How much will it be if it's already $40 on PC and console? So how much will it really sell there?

I just wonder why bother with iOS, it is a wasteland, especially for premium titles

Jb

It's probably worth it, they've been working on that game forever. I'll wait on reviews.

I wonder if Blow included a guide for reviewers. I'd be pretty stressed out if I had to finish this game in a week or two without being able to look up hints online if I'm stuck.

Ludens

Banned
I wonder if Blow included a guide for reviewers. I'd be pretty stressed out if I had to finish this game in a week or two without being able to look up hints online if I'm stuck.

What's the point in including a guide for a puzzle-based game?
It would simply nullify the purpose of a review.

WITHE1982

Loving some of the quotes in the polygon article.

my favourite:
"There's this one puzzle," Blow says, grinning. "We might make it a little bit easier, but we could ship it is as is. Without walkthroughs, I'm sure that less than one percent of people will figure it out."

...erm I'm having second thoughts.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
? No it doesn't. It's PS4/PC. I mean ffs have you even seen the gameplay footage? It's not coming to iOS. No way.

Blow said just days ago that it will be out for iOS in three months. But sure, it's not coming. It was built from the beginning with PC, iOS and Android in mind. That's probably the reason why the lighting is flat. It's great art design for sure but from a technological view it is rather bland. Of course it won't run at 60 fps on iOS devices but the amount of polygons can easily be handled by those at 30 fps.

Jb

What's the point in including a guide for a puzzle-based game?
It would simply nullify the purpose of a review.

Well obviously yeah but if some of the puzzles are as hard as Blow is saying they are it means a bunch of reviewers simply won't have seen everything the game's got to offer.
I imagine the same thing happened when Braid originally came out on XBLA, how many of them got to the real ending?

Haunted

I honestly thought they'd go full price with it and was puzzled when people thought it would be a 20€ small downloadable game considering its scope.

The Talos Principle has set a good example, I suppose.

Nibel

Blow and his team have been working on this for some long ass time and it seems to be filled with a lot of content. Don't see an issue with the pricing, but since I'm tight with my money right now I'll probably wait - unless hype gets the better of me

mekes

Will wait for some very light release impressions and should be picking it up on day one. I don't see a problem with the price myself, I don't see it as overpriced and it has obviously been an ambitious venture for JB.

Looking forward to the 26th!

anddo0

About $15 more than expected.

I shall bear witness to the review scores/impressions before making a purchasing decision.

I have decided that in every single |OT| for a AAA game in the future, I am going to post shit about how I am appalled at the $60 price tag because I don't like [insert genre here] games and I wouldn't pay more than $5 for a AAA game anyway and they're crazy if they think I'm paying $60 when their game only took a year or so to make because it's obviously only worth $5 so I'm just going to wait for a sale and everyone else should wait for a sale as well because it's bound to go on sale eventually because all AAA games go on sale in the end so you're an idiot if you buy it at launch for $60.

Blizzard

Banned
Well obviously yeah but if some of the puzzles are as hard as Blow is saying they are it means a bunch of reviewers simply won't have seen everything the game's got to offer.
I imagine the same thing happened when Braid originally came out on XBLA, how many of them got to the real ending?
As cool as Braid was, I sure hope this doesn't have stuff like the 1 hour, 45-minute Braid cloud.

Auctopus

(Small ramble) Because "Indie" is still young, I think pricing is something that's still difficult to gauge.

For example, I remember buying Gone Home when it came out because I love Adventure/Horror (I know it didn't end up being horror) but after finishing it less than an HOUR later, I was incredibly annoyed that I had dropped £20. The game was fine but holy hell, it cost way too much.

That's from a content perspective, you then have critical analysis...

For example, 'Jouney'. Some people class that game as one of the best in the generation, some experience that transcends gaming. I thought it was fine/okay but my point is it was worth the money. It came out for a reasonable price considering playtime and replayability.

I think a lot of Indie games that are supposedly "deep" are scored higher despite the actual game design being lacking. The most recent example is "That Dragon Cancer" which scored highly at some outlets just for its subject matter when the actual game played incredibly badly.

So, when it comes to The Witness. I'm mostly going to be listening out for content, playtime and replayability at that price. I recently bought SOMA at full price which was £10 less than this and I didn't regret it at all. There's obviously a place for higher-priced "Indie" but they can't rest on their laurels of being unique.

Crub

Not questioning if it's worth its price, but I simply don't pay that kind of money for games. Won't be playing this for quite some time.

anddo0

Not questioning if it's worth its price, but I simply don't pay that kind of money for games. Won't be playing this for quite some time.

I can agree with this; especially for games released in Q1/Q2.
By the fall, the price will be much more appealing to most.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I know people playing the game now. It'll take 40-50 hours to clear the first time, with at least a couple hundred puzzles unsolved. Probably ~70-80 hours to 100% the game.

I'm way more concerned about this than the price (which I have no real issues with).

But 40/50 hours completion time to just finish it? That seems a lot... The puzzles have to be pretty varied or extremely interesting to be engaging for this long. Haven't played Talos Principle yet, but apparenty that game is pretty long ánd good. Let's hope TW can achieve the same.

But 70 to 80 hours for 100%? Holy crap.

I'm way more concerned about this than the price (which I have no real issues with).

But 40/50 hours completion time to just finish it? That seems a lot... The puzzles have to be pretty varied or extremely interesting to be engaging for this long. Haven't played Talos Principle yet, but apparenty that game is pretty long ánd good. Let's hope TW can achieve the same.

But 70 to 80 hours for 100%? Holy crap.
Talos Principle had a weird effect on me. Sometimes the puzzles were lacking but the narrative picked up, other times the narrative had a lull and the puzzles kept me going. I doubt it was the case for everyone because I played the game over a long week end. But that game was patchy. And it was just shy of 20 hours to see the main endings. There are some stars, sort of life in Braid where you have to break the game to get them. That adds a lot more duration.

RexNovis

Banned
It is. I've asked Blow. (I write for a mobile gaming site)

That blows my mind. Have mobile devices really gotten that powerful the they could run games in such a massive 3D environment? Never in a million years would I have thought phones could run what we've seen of the game so far.

Micerider

Still twisted between PS4 and PC, especially as they share the same price...I will wait for feedback on performance and quality on both then.

Top Bottom