• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness price revealed ($39.99 / €36.99)

farmerboy

For that kinda money I will hang around for a physical release. Still mad keen on it though, so I won't surprise myself if I bite anyway.

bender

What time is it?
I thought it would come in at $30 and expected a similar reaction to what we've seen in this thread. I don't have a problem with the price point but it is one of my most anticipated games this year. It will be interesting to see how it performs. I usually get hesitant on taking a flier on a game that is over $20.

I may be remembering but didn't Braid usher in the $15 price point on XBLA? I recall a similar backlash that $15 was "too much".

More than expected, but still buying to support Blow and hopefully an amazing game. The last game I bought was Halo 5 for $60, and there's no way this game will be worse than that 6 hour disappointment.

Heh strange thread. The uproar seems excessive.

£30 for such a large and gorgeous puzzle game seems perfectly fine to me.

It's like how I know NMS will be around the same price and I have no qualms paying that due to the scope and ambition of the game.

kungfuian

No problem paying $40 for a game with that much content but would've prefered a physical copy at that price. $30 was kind of my impulse digital day one but now I'll likely hold out for a sale or wait a bit and hope for a retail release.

Also how many gig is the game? I don't like buying large downloadable games if discs are an option (that 500 gig's filling up fast).

Mivey

Also how many gig is the game? I don't like buying large downloadable games if discs are an option (that 500 gig's filling up fast).
The Steam store requirements put it at 4GB storage space.
On a related note, that makes The Witness one of the most expensive games, when you rank it in relation to its storage size: 10$ for 1 GB! To put that into perspective: For those same 10$ you get a 32 GB flash drive off Amazon.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
No problem paying $40 for a game with that much content but would've prefered a physical copy at that price. $30 was kind of my impulse digital day one but now I'll likely hold out for a sale or wait a bit and hope for a retail release.

You're gonna have to install on that 500 GB in any case.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
That's more than expected, but I'm in.

That's not how it works. All games install fully, disc or not.

RexNovis

Banned
Because only real games deserve to be priced above $20.

Is this sarcasm? How is the witness not a "real game?" Last I checked it was interactive peice of software wherein you explore and solve puzzles in a large 3d rendered environment. That certainly sounds like a game to me.

jurec84

Unconfirmed Member
On a related note, that makes The Witness one of the most expensive games, when you rank it in relation to its storage size: 10$ for 1 GB! To put that into perspective: For those same 10$ you get a 32 GB flash drive off Amazon.

Talos principle is also around 4GB, have just bought it on psn for 20 eur (special offer valid until Friday midnight!).

wildfire

Banned
Two years ago I finally got around to playing Braid and it opened me up to realizing Blow is an amazing game designer and all the hype he got before 2010 was well deserved.

I have no reservations about buying the Witness even though I initially expected it to be $30.

Timeless

I was expecting $60, knowing that Blow invested almost all of Braid's profits into it. They've been making it for years, and lately he's said how long the game is.

Vol5

Can someone explain why they 'expected' a lower price? Is it because its an indie title or because its a puzzle game? Genuinely interested.

Timeless

Super Hexagon is $3/60 MB or $50 per GB.
Now imagine how much Super Metroid costed at launch.
Wii Sports Resort launched at $50, I think? That's $50/800 MB or $62.5 per GB.

And if you seriously think cost per GB is a good metric, don't. Maybe The Witness has good compression. Skyrim was around 6 GB, or $60/6 GB = $10 per GB.

Mivey

Super Hexagon is $3/60 MB or $50 per GB.
Now imagine how much Super Metroid costed at launch.
Wii Sports Resort launched at $50, I think? That's $50/800 MB or $62.5 per GB.

And if you seriously think cost per GB is a good metric, don't. Maybe The Witness has good compression. Skyrim was around 6 GB, or $60/6 GB = $10 per GB.

Please, please tell me this is a joke.
I rate all my games in flash drive prices. You guys don't? Weird . . .

No issues at all with the price if the game warrents it. Will check out reviews. I trust J blow to make a good game. I hope it will be worth every penny. Deffo getting on pc so I can just crank the Graphics. I want this game to look CLEAN!

They should get the game released on disk. I know Blow's a big digital advocate but such a refreshing new game (at retail) would be really good.

RiverKwai

It'll be funny to see everyone aghast at a $40 digital release when a physical disk drops on PS4 in a few months for $60

I paid $60 for physical Divinity OS:EE and it was worth every penny.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Good price, I want someone to tell me the Talos Principle wasn't worth $40.

It absolutely was, but it might have puzzles me out a bit for now. At least enough to wait on impressions. I'm sure there is more to the game than those line puzzles, but if they form a reasonable proportion of it, then I'd like to watch a let's play of a couple of early puzzles to see whether I'd like them. Sometimes certain puzzle types don't click with me, and having lots of them in a game would be frustrating.

Feep

Banned
Talos Principle was my GotY 2014. Forty bucks for greatness? Any time.

I'm super bummed I can't dig into the Witness until January 31st, but I'm crazy excited.

Randdalf

I think I remember JB saying that the full size of the game being so small is a strategy that lets them load the whole thing into RAM at startup. So it should have no loading times after the very first one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Heh strange thread. The uproar seems excessive.

£30 for such a large and gorgeous puzzle game seems perfectly fine to me.

It's like how I know NMS will be around the same price and I have no qualms paying that due to the scope and ambition of the game.

Ah, that's going to be another epic thread when they reveal the price. Another game that people have already decided how much it's worth in their head, and likely very polarising. "All of the galaxy to explore? I'd pay $100 for that!"; "pfft, what do you even do in this game, just look at the same rocks over and over? Wouldn't pay more than $5". Not forgetting the small team making it, which instantly makes it worthless in many eyes.

thebloo

They should get the game released on disk. I know Blow's a big digital advocate but such a refreshing new game (at retail) would be really good.

Would something like this really attract a lot of attention on the shelves?

800px-The_witness_poster.jpg

Ah, that's going to be another epic thread when they reveal the price. Another game that people have already decided how much it's worth in their head, and likely very polarising. "All of the galaxy to explore? I'd pay $100 for that!"; "pfft, what do you even do in this game, just look at the same rocks over and over? Wouldn't pay more than $5". Not forgetting the small team making it, which instantly makes it worthless in many eyes.

Ehh already seen that pop up in regular NMS threads.
The shit show is inevitable.

On a hardcore forum like Gaf, I thought most would be able to deduce that these larger indie games are filling up the mid-tier of games that have disappeared, often to a much higher quality and standard of innovation. *shrugs*

This has already happened.

It's perhaps a little more than I was expecting, but they've been working on that game for ages, and it looks remarkable!

I want to support the game, but with the possibility of a physical release, I'm going to hold off a little. I feel bad doing so, but I hope the game's a success!

TVexperto

He worked for five years on this game and invested a lot of his own money I think so I think thats a fair price. Does anyone know when reviews are out?

Impulsor

He worked for five years on this game and invested a lot of his own money I think so I think thats a fair price. Does anyone know when reviews are out?

None of those two factors inherently make a game be worth any particular amount of money.

He can have worked on it for a decade and invested all of his money and the game can still be shit and be worth nothing.

Won't be the case with The Witness though. (most likely... I hope xD)

Fishook

If AAA Ubisoft and EA titles are priced at £49.99, how much do a well produce smaller developed game charge ?

Although I enjoy a good first person puzzler, its not a genre I would buy day one, but if was a RPG, or a good strategy game, then the cost would not bother me. I am more inclined to buy smaller produced games at full price than some of AAA titles to support the developer.

The problem has stemmed from cheap sales, and Humble Bundles where people are buying games very cheap and when decently produced games just don't sell well because there think they are to expensive, people are now choosing dollars per hour when choosing a game.

The Industry has gone from very short games to long games filled with repeative tasks which have become a chore to play, a good 15-20 hr game is the right balance, but that's too short for a lot of people.

The price seems fine to me, if you are fan of the genre but I can understand why people are upset, as its not at a price for impulse buys. Its a similar price to Torment Tides of Numenera, or Mordihiem: City of the Damned both day one purchases for me, but to alot of people there too expensive.

SentryDown

I hate it when developers justify their price with the game's duration for completionnists. Please tell me about the quality, the enjoyment, the actual number of puzzles, the game world size, the depth, ...

Top Bottom