• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Wonderful 101 love thread

Coolwhip

Banned
It would be funny if GAF could market the game for Kamiya. Tell 10 people you know about W101 and ask them to do the same. Boom.

Way ahead of you.

Bringing back my avatar, for Kamiya, for TW101, and for Wonder-Eyes Pink (<3).
Sigh...you are the true hero. For now
LLShC.gif

It would be funny if GAF could market the game for Kamiya. Tell 10 people you know about W101 and ask them to do the same. Boom.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=68471361&postcount=3547

cafemomo

Game looks amazing! I really hope it does well sales wise.

I agree. I don't own a Wii U yet, but when I eventually do, this is a title that I will pick up.

I really hope W101 succeeds for Nintendo and Platinum.

If I had the extra dosh lying around, I'd go preorder it right now just for Platinum.

Anyone want to speculate on the multiplayer? smash bros style to ease the wait? I imagine each hero selectable with unique abilities in arena battle.

Would be amazing.
I played it at the Nintendo event in London a couple of weeks back. The multiplayer mode is called wonderful missions, and it's cooperative, supports five players and score based - so also quite competitive haha.

Pikma

Banned
So I don't think there'll be any contest at all unless mods suddenly give me the all clear. But don't worry, I'll still giveaway the copies, just with less fuzz surrounding it. :p

D-e-f-

Banned
It's 20 hours?! Why was he worried about ppl saying the game was short? 20 hours would be amazingly good for a game like this if it throws fun and varied scenerios at you all the time.

I'm praying it's good.

I doubt that a normal playthrough is 20hours, just going by the gameplay. I'd guess that 100%ing the game might take you 20h. That said, I don't expect this to be lacking in terms of content, regardless of how invested you are in getting everything.

Wasn't very interested in this until I sat down and watched a video, but it looks incredible. Love the art style, the transformations, and the scale of the battles. Really the only thing I'm concerned about is that the combat might be too basic, but it looks like a fun time regardless. I'm sure it'll be more solid than MadWorld, at least.

batbeg

I doubt that a normal playthrough is 20hours, just going by the gameplay. I'd guess that 100%ing the game might take you 20h. That said, I don't expect this to be lacking in terms of content, regardless of how invested you are in getting everything.

Just going by the gameplay...? Not that I imagine this is a 20 hour game, but how in the world could you determine that from the gameplay?

Well, Okami was 40 hours. That game was long as hell. They go the extra mile when they can, so I don't think 20 hours is too unbelievable.

I am interested both in Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 - is there a risk that these two titles are too similar, and maybe I should get only one of them?

Somewhere I've read that Wonderful 101 is a fast-paced/action oriented Pikmin 3.

Judging from videos, Wonderful 101 is nothing like Pikmin. I worried about this as well, but then I watched some videos, and any similarities are surface. Wonderful 101 doesn't seem to have any of Pikmin's strategy elements, it's a beat-em-up where your character is represented by a group of characters, but they don't divide and conquer or anything.

Madouu

I am interested both in Pikmin 3 and Wonderful 101 - is there a risk that these two titles are too similar, and maybe I should get only one of them?

Somewhere I've read that Wonderful 101 is a fast-paced/action oriented Pikmin 3.

Not a single tiny bit of microscopic risk.

Wonderful 101 is an action game first and foremost, with the difference that you control a group of people that act as a single entity. Think of the other platinum games action games released thus far, it is very close to those.

Pikmin 3 is a strategy/management game with a puzzle oriented single player campaign. Each pikmin acts as its own and you can give it different orders. Think of... well Pikmin one and two on consoles, as it's pretty much unique. The closest thing to it would be Overlord I guess... or RTS games on the PC.

Arkanius

God this looks amazing
I should offer this to my nephew (7 year old)
He probably won't manage to play this, but for the old gods and new, I WILL

Yuterald

If Kamiya's other action games are anything to go by, I suspect doing "everything" in this game is going to take longer than 20 hours. You can almost guarantee that there is a Total Results screen which showcases all of your medals for each stage/chapter broken down by difficulty. The game is clearly structured like Bayonetta/Viewtiful Joe where you don't get ranked during exploration or what I like to call, "down time". I'd imagine getting Pure Platinum Medals (or whatever they're going to call the best rank) to be as difficult and time consuming as his other games. I had over 100 hours on Bayonetta and only managed to Pure Plat the entire game on Normal difficulty. I'm sure this game is packed to the teeth with unlockables and multiple difficulties.

Not a single tiny bit of microscopic risk.

Wonderful 101 is an action game first and foremost, with the difference that you control a group of people that act as a single entity. Think of the other platinum games action games released thus far, it is very close to those.

Pikmin 3 is a strategy/management game with a puzzle oriented single player campaign. Each pikmin acts as its own and you can give it different orders. Think of... well Pikmin one and two on consoles, as it's pretty much unique. The closest thing to it would be Overlord I guess... or RTS games on the PC.

Thanks, guess will buy both.

DihcarEM

My most anticipated game of the year, was going to pick up a wii u for it on it's release date. That has been bumped up a month for Pikimin 3 this month.
And no i was never worried of these two games being a like, not even close. TW101 has more in common with Bayonetta then it does with Pikimin.

PetrCobra

Judging from videos, Wonderful 101 is nothing like Pikmin. I worried about this as well, but then I watched some videos, and any similarities are surface. Wonderful 101 doesn't seem to have any of Pikmin's strategy elements, it's a beat-em-up where your character is represented by a group of characters, but they don't divide and conquer or anything.

well, I played the last year's demo, and the only way this game seems to be similar to Pikmin is gathering of your army (and even there it is quite different because of the mechanics of the action)

D-e-f-

Banned
Just going by the gameplay...? Not that I imagine this is a 20 hour game, but how in the world could you determine that from the gameplay?

I mean that I'm not really familiar with any brawlers that have a 20 hour campaign, especially these days. That is usually a length for action adventure/rpg-ish games. The 8-12 hour solo-campaign has become the norm for action games so I'd expect this to be true here as well while you will have the optional completionist stuff and co-op objectives to account for the remaining hours.

Do you get what I'm trying to say? Hope my point comes through.

People who keep bringing up Pikmin to explain Wonderful 101 are the ones who know almost nothing about either of the two games. All they see is "isometric camera, you control a lot of small dudes in groups" and then they say game A is like game B. It's like saying The Witcher 2 is like Gears of War but with swords (= same perspective, you fight dudes). Whoever said this, ignore them in the future :D

Well, Okami was 40 hours. That game was long as hell. They go the extra mile when they can, so I don't think 20 hours is too unbelievable.

Okami is a very very different style of game. It's basically zelda-style action adventure with exploration and long long dialogue segments.

Hiltz

It's understandable why Platinum would be frustrated by the comparison since Pikmin and The Wonderful 101 are conceptually very different types of games not even in the same genre. Quite frankly, the one thing both titles do have in common is that their unique because there's nothing else like them on the market.

D-e-f-

Banned
If Kamiya's other action games are anything to go by, I suspect doing "everything" in this game is going to take longer than 20 hours. You can almost guarantee that there is a Total Results screen which showcases all of your medals for each stage/chapter broken down by difficulty. The game is clearly structured like Bayonetta/Viewtiful Joe where you don't get ranked during exploration or what I like to call, "down time". I'd imagine getting Pure Platinum Medals (or whatever they're going to call the best rank) to be as difficult and time consuming as his other games. I had over 100 hours on Bayonetta and only managed to Pure Plat the entire game on Normal difficulty. I'm sure this game is packed to the teeth with unlockables and multiple difficulties.

Great point.

Do you know how long the critical path "campaign" was in VJ and Bayo? The only Kamiya game I have finished so far is RE2 and I don't think that would be useful point of comparison here :D

It's understandable why Platinum would be frustrated by the comparison since Pikmin and The Wonderful 101 are conceptually very different types of games not even in the same genre. Quite frankly, the one thing both titles do have in common is that their unique because there's nothing else like them on the market.

And it's frustrating because the games press can't be bothered to make informed comments about games and have to describe everything in very reductionist terms after half-watching a trailer or something. :/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gonna chime in and say the demo I played was super awesome. It's colorful, very responsive, and has a lot of charm.

Combat is quick if you know what you are doing and you have block and dodge with a high score focus.

Madouu

We've got Hazaro's seal of approval! Further proof of the quality of the game :D
well the demo at least

guek

Banned
We've got Hazaro's seal of approval! Further proof of the quality of the game :D
well the demo at least

I can echo his opinion on the demo :p

It's definitely a fun game. I'm pretty sure when I saw it though it was running at 30fps (this was Pax Prime last year). I'm excited to see the visual improvements in person.

Madouu

I can echo his opinion on the demo :p

It's definitely a fun game. I'm pretty sure when I saw it though it was running at 30fps (this was Pax Prime last year). I'm excited to see the visual improvements in person.

I played the demo too way back at the first Nintendo tour they did and I loved it. I've been anticipating the game's release since them... it's been a very long wait!

I just don't see Hazaro often in Nintendo related threads so it must've been something special for him to decide to post about it :p

Top Bottom