• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Xbox Pro in 2026 ( Brad Sams speculation video )

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I have a hunch that there won't be any Xbox: neither the Xbox Pro nor the Xbox Next.

They'll launch a new controller with DualSense-type features and the previously-delayed Cloud device (Project Keystone) instead.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
2027 will not be the new generation console launch. It's already been stated in the leaked FTC documents that it is Holiday 2028. Which is 8 years after PS5/Series X and is about the right usual time. 2024 will probably be the slim/refresh version of the Xbox Series (But not the Pro), the one that looks like a circle.

"A cascade of confidential Microsoft documents leaked overnight, detailing the company's Xbox plans for the coming years.

Along with emails detailing the likes of a potential eye on acquiring Nintendo and a Series X/S refresh for 2024, the leak also revealed Microsoft's plans to release a new next-generation console in 2028. The leaked slides, as seen below, show Microsoft has its next-gen console planned for in five years time. It will support "cloud hybrid games", and is currently described as an "immersive game and app platform".

Source - https://www.eurogamer.net/leaked-mi...028-next-generation-xbox-console-release-plan

oqfZlq0.jpg
A lot has changed since these slides were made, even Spencer said that

If PS5Pro releases holiday 2024, and Next Box on holiday 2025, then its Sony who has a problem on its hands. Will Sony really release a new console holiday 2026? less than 2 years after PS5Pro's launch?

I think MSFT is doing the right thing waiting to get their NextBox right: Zen5/RDNA5, PCIE 6, USB 4.0, Wifi7, latest Bluetooth, AI, GDDR7, Better NVMESSD, alternate storage medium, etc.
I honestly agree with you that Nextbox with the hardware you mention going up against the PS5 Pro with hardware centered around the current PS5

And it doesn't sound like Sony will bring the PS6 until 27/28 so Nextbox would indeed have 2 years at around double the performance of the PS5 Pro

A lot has changed since these slides were made, even Spencer said that
Could just be said for damage control? You honestly think his going to come out and say "Yeah guys! You got us! We are releasing a new system in 2028 and it will have AI Features!" on a random blog/twitter post? Come on dude. These things are planned so far in advanced and you can't just all of a sudden now be like ok let's just release a next gen console in 2026 instead of 2028! 2 years is a massive amount of time, it's most likely just a pro version of the Series X and nothing else.

Last edited:
Could just be said for damage control? You honestly think his going to come out and say "Yeah guys! You got us! We are releasing a new system in 2028 and it will have AI Features!" on a random blog/twitter post? Come on dude. These things are planned so far in advanced and you can't just all of a sudden now be like ok let's just release a next gen console in 2026 instead of 2028! 2 years is a massive amount of time, it's most likely just a pro version of the Series X and nothing else.

Could also be that digital version of the Series X.

Could also be that digital version of the Series X.
Doubt that they will wait till 2026 for such a version. The digital version just seems to be the "Slim" equivalent of the PS5 Slim imo. It does not have better hardware according to the slides if I am not mistaken and I guess its supposed to replace the Series S completely?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Just relaying what has been discussed at the round table and more money was invested into looking deeper into the plan

And yeah as of right now I think those slides were scrapped months ago

And no I don't think its a pro version

If PS5Pro releases holiday 2024, and Next Box on holiday 2025, then its Sony who has a problem on its hands. Will Sony really release a new console holiday 2026? less than 2 years after PS5Pro's launch?

I think MSFT is doing the right thing waiting to get their NextBox right: Zen5/RDNA5, PCIE 6, USB 4.0, Wifi7, latest Bluetooth, AI, GDDR7, Better NVMESSD, alternate storage medium, etc.
How would Sony have the problem? A more powerful Xbox isn't going to change a thing for MS. Not if 1)they still have the Series S around their neck or 2)they abandon this gen, which will create an even bigger lack in confidence in the brand.

You know what all Sony has to do to compete against the NeXbox? Stay the course they are on, now, and a day/week before the NeXbox is to launch, lower the price of the PS5/Pro. If they want to completely kill it, they announce the even more powerful PS6 coming in 2027, which will come with all the improvements to tech that the NeXbox missed out on releasing so much earlier. Fully B/C with PS5, of course, so gamers don't feel like they have to wait for it and can buy a PS5, now.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I want to add that the dataminer Kepler is also onboard with this and highly doubt he is just making this stuff up

Both companies deal with 3rd party developers working on software for both platforms. And the same company makes the chips.

They both definitely know what the other is doing in terms of the hardware spec, there's just no way that one of the thousands of people involved in these operations isn't friendly enough to share some info.

What we can see is that they don't know the business strategy that the other team will employ - take a look at neither company announcing pricing of their new system until as late as possible a couple of years ago.

Eh, kinda. Remember, when the Series & PS5 were being developed, AMD had isolated teams for MS and Sony that did not share info with each other. Had the companies kept all info freely going, there's a chance Microsoft would have copied certain customizations in PS5 like the cache scrubbers and aspects of the I/O (the I/O IIRC is more or less all Sony's doing so there would have been nothing of it in AMD's roadmap of the time).

When it comes to some of these customizations, often times they're patented, so unless a competitor gets an official license from the patenting company, any copying is an infringement and they can be sued over it plus eventually forced to remove any product using the infringed patents off the market until the situation is resolved. So I'd say as far as any stuff related to the 10th gen consoles Sony & Microsoft know of one another, is 100% only tied to what's in AMD's own roadmaps, which they'd make available to all partners, either publicly or on request. But these would only be things AMD own the patents and rights on; for example any customizations Sony have planned to integrate in their variant of an AMD design, would not be in those roadmaps and Microsoft could not legally gain knowledge of them nor attempt copying them without Sony's approval, or they'd end up getting sued. And vice-versa with Sony regarding any customizations Microsoft have planned that they have patents for.

And while some employees between the companies may talk with each other, stuff like certain customizations to console designs, or strategies of business plans with those products, would probably fall under being trade secrets and only the tops of those divisions would actively know of them. Those sorts wouldn't be freely sharing that type of information outside of the company, or they could face repercussions of their own. There are also NDAs involved in that type of stuff.

As for what they could learn of each other's plans among 3P, well 3P generally are kept out of the loop on many specifics until closer to the launch of new hardware. They may receive prototype hardware for example, but certain parts may be undocumented. They still have to sign NDAs anyway which would prevent them of mentioning about certain aspects to companies of competing platforms.

I have a hunch that there won't be any Xbox: neither the Xbox Pro nor the Xbox Next.

They'll launch a new controller with DualSense-type features and the previously-delayed Cloud device (Project Keystone) instead.

They could technically just launch that new universal controller, a cloud streaming stick/box, publish everywhere and call it a day.

But I think they'll still have some actual gaming "system", do all those other things and then call it a day.

If it's about the power game than Microsoft has basically lost to Sony for three consecutive generations there. 360 was overall a bit weaker than PS3, but had more mature SDK and API tools early on and easier to get to grips with, hence why so many 3P games from 2006-2009 or so looked and ran better on it. But the system never got games on the visual level of TLOU, or GT6, or Uncharted 3 as just some examples.

XBO...well nothing needs to be said. One X was technically more powerful than PS4 Pro but a lot of games either traded frames or resolution to get that advantage. Remember the infamous early performance of RE3 Remake on PS4 Pro and One X? Capcom had to drop the resolution for One X to get the framerate performance in line with PS4 Pro...an eerie foreshadowing of what would be to come.

Series X is on paper more powerful than PS5 with TFs, texture fillrate, and more RAM bandwidth. But in practice it's been either only on par or in a lot of cases behind PS5 in 3P performance. And while there are some technical showpieces on the system, like Flight Sim and Forza Horizon 5 (and next year, Hellblade 2), up to this point it still doesn't have anything on the level of Rift Apart or Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores that's 1P, AAA, and large-scale (epic sci-fi action/platformer, sci-fi/fantasy open-world action/adventure). Even the newest Forza, next-gen only, falls short of GT7, which is a cross-gen game.

So I don't think Microsoft care too much about trying to win the power crown from Sony anymore because they've simply been unable to definitely do so for three generations in a row. It's just not an area they can win at, and maybe they've accepted that.

Last edited:
How would Sony have the problem? A more powerful Xbox isn't going to change a thing for MS. Not if 1)they still have the Series S around their neck or 2)they abandon this gen, which will create an even bigger lack in confidence in the brand.

You know what all Sony has to do to compete against the NeXbox? Stay the course they are on, now, and a day/week before the NeXbox is to launch, lower the price of the PS5/Pro. If they want to completely kill it, they announce the even more powerful PS6 coming in 2027, which will come with all the improvements to tech that the NeXbox missed out on releasing so much earlier. Fully B/C with PS5, of course, so gamers don't feel like they have to wait for it and can buy a PS5, now.

When Sony will announce PS6 in 2027, MSFT will announce NextBoxSuperTurbo in 2030, which will give NextBox releasing in holiday 2025 a healthy 4–5-year-old cycle. I think MSFT wants to be one step ahead of PS6 in terms of raw performance and giving their console a healthy 4–5-year lifespan. MSFT are not going to abandon shit, they want to make sure every game is fully backwards compatible, up scalable, replayable and in da cloud to make them money!

They are trying to avoid the Xbox One X mistake in my personal opinion.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

When Sony will announce PS6 in 2027, MSFT will announce NextBoxSuperTurbo in 2030, which will give NextBox releasing in holiday 2025 a healthy 4–5-year-old cycle. I think MSFT wants to be one step ahead of PS6 in terms of raw performance and giving their console a healthy 4–5-year lifespan. MSFT are not going to abandon shit, they want to make sure every game is fully backwards compatible, up scalable, repayable and in da cloud to make them money!

I could see them no longer care about being the performance king really. I doubt xbox series X was there main selling box to start with, i could see them move to a 5 year whatever is available at the time new console release schedule.

I want to add that the dataminer Kepler is also onboard with this and highly doubt he is just making this stuff up

The issue is the studio management and mediocre reviews/impressions of recent game releases. If Xbox releases a more powerful console than the PS5 Pro in 2026 that won't really do anything in the power deportment. Sony will just continue to release their new system in 2028 which obviously will be more powerful than the new Xbox due to being released 2 years later and will be ahead of the game in power just because of the difference in years. And then what will Xbox do? Release another new system in 2029? lol. I do not believe its the next next Xbox, again this is a personal thing.

They will run into performance issues again, by having a weaker console because Sony will release a PS6 in 2028 and now devs are forced to make it work on the 2 year old already Xbox Next. Sounds atrocious.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The issue is the studio management and mediocre reviews/impressions of recent game releases. If Xbox releases a more powerful console than the PS5 Pro in 2026 that won't really do anything in the power deportment. Sony will just continue to release their new system in 2028 which obviously will be more powerful than the new Xbox due to being released 2 years later and will be ahead of the game in power just because of the difference in years. And then what will Xbox do? Release another new system in 2029? lol. I do not believe its the next next Xbox, again this is a personal thing.

They will run into performance issues again, by having a weaker console because Sony will release a PS6 in 2028 and now devs are forced to make it work on the 2 year old already Xbox Next. Sounds atrocious.
All true but Xbox has not been the best run company as of late so makes perfect sense they would try to pull something off like this

Personally I am all for it

I don't play near as much Xbox as I used to (no reason having a nice PC) but IF they can get that next console out around GTA6 window I am 100% buying it IF its a clear advantage over the PS5 Pro which it should be looking at supposed specs datamined

If in 4 years Sony is going to go from 10.2 Tflops with PS5 to ¿16-17? Tflops on PS5 pro (and it would already go on a console quite at the limit, going over 200w), what MS can release the following year or two years later, I doubt it will be much better to sell it as a "new generation".

GTAVI where it will sell the most and the most consoles it will move will be the normal PS5, PS5 pro or the new Xbox will be a minority.

Last edited:

odhiex

So, Microsoft would release a "Next-Gen" XBOX in 2025/26 with (0) Next-Gen exclusive games, since they are supposedly have to work on XBOX series X/S too?

Do you also think 3rd party publishers/developers are willing to abandon the current install base (of XBOX) in 2025/26?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
So, Microsoft would release a "Next-Gen" XBOX in 2025/26 with (0) Next-Gen exclusive games, since they are supposedly have to work on XBOX series X/S too?

Do you also think 3rd party publishers/developers are willing to abandon the current install base (of XBOX) in 2025/26?
I think they have to do something different than releasing an "adorably all digital" Seres X refresh "at the same great price" when the PS5 Pro launches

Sales have been bad enough now for Xbox but that would be a massacre

It's the Xbox One X that was a total disaster and releasing it 1 year after PS4Pro was a big mistake. This "Pro" model stuff works for Sony but not for MSFT. A complete refresh with a new vision of playing games is the way to go. Its time MSFT depart ways of competing with Sony and embrace their new vision which Sony and Nintendo may not be able to offer.

All true but Xbox has not been the best run company as of late so makes perfect sense they would try to pull something off like this

Personally I am all for it

I don't play near as much Xbox as I used to (no reason having a nice PC) but IF they can get that next console out around GTA6 window I am 100% buying it IF its a clear advantage over the PS5 Pro which it should be looking at supposed specs datamined
If MS wants to repeat a similar success to that of Xbox 360 what they need is an outstanding launch line up of games similar to the Xbox 2001 launch and 360.

IF there is a brand new console then I think having a brand new Gears, Banjo Kazooie (assuming the rumors by NateDrakeare true that it is now an active project since last year) and either a new Halo game and something else and possibly a new forza horizon then it could be a very solid line up. So basically something like this and again I am just brainstorming and do not know anything so please don't take it as some of secret credible info lol.

Xbox Next - Holiday 2026 Launch in November
Gears 6 - Launch Title by The Coalition
Forza Horizon 6 - Launch Title by Playground Games
Banjo Kazooie Reboot/Remake - Launch Title by Toys for Bob
Everwild - Launch Title by Rare
Halo - Launch Title by 343/Another Company
Perfect Dark Reboot - Launch Title The Initiative

At this point, if they want to take advantage of this early new console launch strategy then they need to go all out on amazing games for its release. Delay them if they must, just make them amazing.

Fable 2, Awoved, Hellblade 2, State of Decay 3 and Clockwork Revolution can just easily fill in the gap between now and then. This is the only way this could work imo.

S0ULZB0URNE

If MS wants to repeat a similar success to that of Xbox 360 what they need is an outstanding launch line up of games similar to the Xbox 2001 launch and 360.

IF there is a brand new console then I think having a brand new Gears, Banjo Kazooie (assuming the rumors by NateDrakeare true that it is now an active project since last year) and either a new Halo game and something else and possibly a new forza horizon then it could be a very solid line up. So basically something like this and again I am just brainstorming and do not know anything so please don't take it as some of secret credible info lol.

At this point, if they want to take advantage of this early new console launch strategy then they need to go all out on amazing games for its release. Delay them if they must, just make them amazing.

Fable 2, Awoved, Hellblade 2, State of Decay 3 and Clockwork Revolution can just easily fill in the gap between now and then. This is the only way this could work imo.
360 did not have a good launch lineup.
Xbox One had a better launch/launch window lineup and we see how that worked out.

What 360 had was a lower price,good online gaming component(at the time) and a headstart.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Just my 2 cents but I didn't love the actual Xbox 360 launch titles as a lineup

Xbox 360s biggest advantage was a year head start in sales imo

Xbox One had a better launch/launch window lineup and we see how that worked out.

What 360 had was a lower price,good online gaming component(at the time) and a headstart.
360 had Kameo, PDZ, Condemned and DOA4 were far superior to whatever the PS3 had at launch. The only good titles PS3 had was Motorstorm and Resistsnce. That's it. My PS3 was collecting dust for 3 years until GoW 3 and Uncharted.

What made 360 special was the mutliplayer and Xbox Live. Microsoft were the pioneers of online gaming and pushed the envelope forward with online play, social, achievements and then a year later we had Gears of War which was truly a next gen title. I've made far too many good memories on 360.

Xbox One was what i would like to call the 3rd console curse just like Sony had with the PS3, cell processor and $599 proce tag.

MS made questionable and stupid decisions with the Xbox One and there was nothing too play for years either. Launch titles were good but the consolen was overpriced, forced either kinect who no one cared for and the stupid "TV Agenda" was just pure stupidity and the marketing really tanked it in the long run.

Ehh who cares about their salves advantage? Xbox Live was what made the 360 generation special.

Last edited:

demigod

You really think Sony will release the PS6 2 years after releasing the PS5 Pro because of next xbox? Delusional. It takes money and time releasing consoles. Sony wants to maximize profits, not lose money by releasing new consoles too soon. You can see it, they do not react to xbox dropping the price to $350 for December. A lower priced PS5 will easily outsell the next xbox.

Wulfer

If it's about the power game than Microsoft has basically lost to Sony for three consecutive generations there. 360 was overall a bit weaker than PS3, but had more mature SDK and API tools early on and easier to get to grips with, hence why so many 3P games from 2006-2009 or so looked and ran better on it. But the system never got games on the visual level of TLOU, or GT6, or Uncharted 3 as just some examples.

XBO...well nothing needs to be said. One X was technically more powerful than PS4 Pro but a lot of games either traded frames or resolution to get that advantage. Remember the infamous early performance of RE3 Remake on PS4 Pro and One X? Capcom had to drop the resolution for One X to get the framerate performance in line with PS4 Pro...an eerie foreshadowing of what would be to come.

Series X is on paper more powerful than PS5 with TFs, texture fillrate, and more RAM bandwidth. But in practice it's been either only on par or in a lot of cases behind PS5 in 3P performance. And while there are some technical showpieces on the system, like Flight Sim and Forza Horizon 5 (and next year, Hellblade 2), up to this point it still doesn't have anything on the level of Rift Apart or Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores that's 1P, AAA, and large-scale (epic sci-fi action/platformer, sci-fi/fantasy open-world action/adventure). Even the newest Forza, next-gen only, falls short of GT7, which is a cross-gen game.

So I don't think Microsoft care too much about trying to win the power crown from Sony anymore because they've simply been unable to definitely do so for three generations in a row. It's just not an area they can win at, and maybe they've accepted that.
Did you just forget Alan Wake II just came out or are you saying Remedy gimped the PS5 version?

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

360 had Kameo, PDZ, Condemned and DOA4 were far superior to whatever the PS3 had at launch. The only good titles PS3 had was Motorstorm and Resistsnce. That's it. My PS3 was collecting dust for 3 years until GoW 3 and Uncharted.

What made 360 special was the mutliplayer and Xbox Live. Microsoft were the pioneers of online gaming and pushed the envelope forward with online play, social, achievements and then a year later we had Gears of War which was truly a next gen title. I've made far too many good memories on 360.

Xbox One was what i would like to call the 3rd console curse just like Sony had with the PS3, cell processor and $599 proce tag.

MS made questionable and stupid decisions with the Xbox One and there was nothing too play for years either. Launch titles were good but the consolen was overpriced, forced either kinect who no one cared for and the stupid "TV Agenda" was just pure stupidity and the marketing really tanked it in the long run.

Ehh who cares about their salves advantage? Xbox Live was what made the 360 generation special.
PS3 was $499.
PS3 came out later and more expensive but still ended up in 2nd.

Again the launch titles of the Xbox One was better and they were also better than the XSX/xss.
The issue with the Xbox One was MS started handling the product badly in the latter half of the 360 generation and it carried over to the Xbox One launch which brought all types of bs including a $100 more price tag.

"Ehh who cares about their salves advantage?"

Huh?

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
2026 is late as fuck tbh, next gen when then? Should be this year at the end.

clarky

Gold Member
When Sony will announce PS6 in 2027, MSFT will announce NextBoxSuperTurbo in 2030, which will give NextBox releasing in holiday 2025 a healthy 4–5-year-old cycle. I think MSFT wants to be one step ahead of PS6 in terms of raw performance and giving their console a healthy 4–5-year lifespan. MSFT are not going to abandon shit, they want to make sure every game is fully backwards compatible, up scalable, replayable and in da cloud to make them money!

Thats not one step ahead, its one behind.

Sorcerer

The Activision/Blizzard deal is not going to bear any fruit for MS in this generation. If Microsoft figures out how to manage studios, they may have something for the next. It seems MS are in a quandary. They need to get the studios going right now for the next gen, but abandoning ship with what they have now will leave a bad taste in the mouths of their customers, unless said customers are willing to accept the loss in hopes of a better Xbox experience in the future. Nothing they have on deck currently is going to turn any tides for them. Maybe some critical acclaim but that's about it.

Last edited:

Wulfer

MS really needs to stay the course with the X/S. Beef up its games and release the next console when they have games ready for said console. Xbox don't need to leapfrog Sony. MS has plenty of strengths/"pillars" to rely on now. Why jump head first into another console when the software isn't ready for it? I get it Sony's the leader but, you don't try and do the same thing Sony does. You try and release a console when your software is ready not before! Stop playing catchup and lead that's what MS was able to do with the 360. Only this time they own the Mass Effects (Activision, Bethesda and others). Time to stop releasing hardware and get the software right. Then watch the consumers follow! No more MS paid off said studios remarks, they own the studios they need! Xbox has a ton of the RPGs and FPSs. It's time to let the developers develop and leave Halo in the oven until its truly ready for a reveal. No more half baked reveals are needed. MS has more than enough studios to avoid another Refall reveal/problem/release! Another words forget a new hardware for 2026 no matter what Sony does! Assets are always going to code to weakest hardware anyway why confuse the market more with another release?

Last edited:
I guess Microsoft could try starting gens every 3-4 years but I'm not sure how retailers and devs will react that. I know if Sony had to keep up with that reducing a gen to 4 years would be messy for them. Especially when you look at R@D, Product life cycle planning and game development.

If in 4 years Sony is going to go from 10.2 Tflops with PS5 to ¿16-17? Tflops on PS5 pro (and it would already go on a console quite at the limit, going over 200w), what MS can release the following year or two years later, I doubt it will be much better to sell it as a "new generation".

GTAVI where it will sell the most and the most consoles it will move will be the normal PS5, PS5 pro or the new Xbox will be a minority.
It'll truly be an XBO X situation all over, again, if they launch just a year after PS5 Pro. Sure, it'll be more powerful than the Pro, but nothing else will have changed it MS's management and game output. And with the PS6 just around the corner, with an actual generational leap in HW, not a hop, NeXbox will not be looking so hot when it comes to game comparisons.

More importantly, it had Sony stumble hard out of the gate. Not only with price, as you mention, but with complicated HW that took devs a long time to figure out, leading to inferior multiplats for the first 2 years.

Care to explain that? 360 had a poor first full year on the market. It sold something like ~6M units. Even the $200 more expensive PS3 sold ~7M. It's why XBO, even though poorly received, was able to sell better than it for the first year or two.

So, the year head start did nothing for 360. Just like it did nothing for Dreamcast. It was Sony's missteps with the PS3 that had gamers start looking at Xbox as a viable choice, something a smarter past Xbox was able to capitalize on.

Sony isn't looking to make those same mistakes, again. And that past Xbox that was smart at taking advantage of the fumbling of PS3 is long dead. They can't even take advantage of the things in their favor today.

nick776

I remember attending E3 the year the original Gears of War was unveiled. One of my greatest gaming memories was standing next to Cliffy B. when he demoed Gears to a small group of people. Watching that live was phenomenal, Xbox was the only place where you could experience that. Xbox had a certain "spirit" back then that just doesn't exist today. The post-360 era never had that same spirt and the start of the decline (in my opinion) was sometime around the Kinect release. From then forward Xbox was just never the same as the early glory days of the 360. They need to somehow recreate that same aura. As others have said, people buy systems for the GAMES. Xbox simply has not had the killer lineup needed for success. Notwithstanding the billions they have spent on studio acquisitions, they have nothing approaching the caliber of Nintendo first party or Sony first party. I remember playing the opening sequence of Spiderman 2 several weeks ago and thinking to myself "Xbox has nothing even approaching this level." That wasn't the case back in the early 360 days when Gears was fresh and new Halo games were grand events. Since those days it has all been downhill.

truth411

Big problem is the node shrinks are estimated for 2028

Launching in 2026 is just using delayed 2024 tech

There’s a reason Sony releases consoles when they do; it’s the soonest time they can offer meaningful upgrades
In 2026 I'm assuming MS uses TSMC N3P chips.

In 2028 I'm assuming Sony uses TSMC N2P chips.

SimTourist

Honestly they should've stuck with Kinect, they're never gonna compete with Sony in the hardcore segment, but they could've carved out a sizeable audience that plays Kinect sports, just dance and other shit like that. Kinect alone pushed Xbox 360 from 50 million units to 80 million.

I guess Microsoft could try starting gens every 3-4 years but I'm not sure how retailers and devs will react that. I know if Sony had to keep up with that reducing a gen to 4 years would be messy for them. Especially when you look at R@D, Product life cycle planning and game development.
Here's the thing. There's a reason phones can do it pretty much every year, while consoles now need to wait 7 or 8. Space and tech.

Tech is pretty obvious. People don't want to spend $500-$600 on a console every 3 years and barely get a jump in tech. It works for Pro consoles because you're still selling the base model and, at best, 25% of new console purchases will be for the Pro model. To start saying that every 3 years will be the "new gen" will not only disappoint gamers in terms of the perceived leap, but you'd basically abandon those who bought your last console by year 4. It'll also start confusing more casual gamers who won't know what gen is what. Especially with Xbox's confusing names.

Phones on the other hand, are usually subsidized by the phone companies because they make the real money off of the cell service, not the HW or the games sold on that HW. Or you can just add a new phone to your plan and pay like $20 extra a month, and then upgrade to the next one, and just keep paying that extra monthly fee. People barely think about it because it's not one huge sum.

Space. Consoles are a space hog in terms of shelf and warehouse space. Retailers would be pissed if every 2 1/2 years they have to prep for the next console gen and make room for both consoles and peripherals. Not to mention having to explain what console is what to non-gaming parents and grandparents. Again, this works for Pro models because they know it's not a full launch, so no new peripherals, and they only need a small number of them compared to the base console.

Pretty obvious to understand the difference between consoles and phones when it comes to space. Hell, just the controllers take up more space than a phone. So, it's easy for retailers to keep 2, or even 3, gens of a phone in stock.

So, yea, shorter gens aren't going to work.

DavidGzz

PS5 Pro will sell more regardless but if they let Sony get it out before GTA VI while not having their own refresh ready, it will be and even worse match up.

hlm666

What does that game and developer have to do with this game and developer?

Oh I got it! You are trolling 🙄
But they could build around i/o because they weren't making it for any other platforms so it's the scenario you said would unleash the i/o super mode, was just asking what happened there figured you could explain what happened like you did with alan wake 2.

Honestly they should've stuck with Kinect, they're never gonna compete with Sony in the hardcore segment, but they could've carved out a sizeable audience that plays Kinect sports, just dance and other shit like that. Kinect alone pushed Xbox 360 from 50 million units to 80 million.
They already tried sticking with Kinect. It ended up making their XBO console $100 more expensive and they lost to PS4 badly.

Motion controls were a fad. Especially ones that only used a camera and not physical controllers. Notice how no one is using that tech anymore.

clarky

Gold Member

Hire this man.

Its not rocket science, you build fantastic games and people will buy your system. Release a couple of games a year keeping GP/Series alive until the next Xbox arrives then absolutely pepper the first 18 months with stuff like the above. They have 3 years to get it together. Then maybe 2 after launch to make it count until the PS6 arrives.

Launching a console with zero exclusive games and then just a smattering of average releases with a few niche titles over then next couple of years will kill your sales.

For the last 3 years if you're a console gamer only you'd be insane to only buy an Xbox over anything else. And if your a PC gamer there's zero point in owning one.

Not really difficult to see why sales are in the shitter and they are thinking about a reset of sorts.

Top Bottom