• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XBoxOne will be near silent. And the PS4??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ymmv

Banned
It's not the fan making the consoles loud, it's the disc drive. BD is quieter than DVD

True. The launch 360 had a DVD drive that sounded like a plane taking off. I've owned numerous consoles, the 360 is still the noisiest console I've ever owned.

Crisco

Banned
The PS4 is more powerful, has less efficient memory, an internal power supply, and is smaller. So yeah, unless its water cooled, it will be louder. Although it will still be quieter than last gen consoles.

rapid32.5

The PS4 will probably be louder, as you'll actually have it switched on.

denzel-smoking.gif

BibiMaghoo

That shirt is seizure inducing.

We don't know how much noise either will make, but for what it's worth, this gen some people consoles were noisier than others, even when the same model. I have no reason to believe these will be any different.

feel

The PS4 will probably be louder, as you'll actually have it switched on.
Huh? After someone has actually made the decision to purchase it (the biggest hurdle), I dunno why they wouldn't turn it on, as bad as everything looks about it, the games library looks excellent so far. I mean, DAT FIRST POST LOL!

are we even 100% sure the PS4's PSU is inside the unit?

it's got the power cable connector on the back like the normal Slim PS3, but then again the PS2 Slim had that as well, but had the power brick. (although small)

DBT85

Sorry to interrupt the high-fives, but is there any info on this yet?

I've said it before, there's a conspiracy. I pretty sure there's a highly advanced first post AI/bot out there making first posts as a job. :p

When you create a new thread it automatically PMs 200 random people that are online and messages them with an advanced preview. The thread actually takes 5 minutes to appear on the forum giving people enough time to come to an adequately sick burn, vote on the best choice and run with it. It's a beautiful system.

clav

PS4 cooling system. Likely much quieter.

Hard to tell since the fan blades on the PS4 are thinner where as the blades on the One are thicker.

Chip has a heatpipe to an aluminum bent sheet that covers the base with an attached case fan. That one case fan appears to be blowing out any heat from the power supply, memory, and CPU chip.

One's design is more like the Xbox 360 slim's and a conservative approach of cooling a CPU chip as it's similar to how a PC cools.

Xyphie

Too bad you got your thread derailed when you ask a genuine discussion topic, anyways:

Fan looks like it's 110-120mm (definitely +100mm since a 2.5" hard drive is 10 cm long) and PWM-controlled, even dirt cheap OEM variants are quite good. Heatsink is pretty big too, basically a thinner tower cooler turned on its side.

Since games will install to the HDD the only parts that will make any noise are the fan and the hard drive (5400rpm most likely). Kinect has a fan in it too IIRC, how often does Kinect v1 fan kick in? I never bought one so I wouldn't know. It'll be quiet, probably more so than a X360S.

PS4 we don't really know much about, we can deduce it probably has a radial fan design based on the enclosure/vents at least.

TDP for the SoCs in both consoles are probably in the ~100W range. So they'll produce much less heat than previous launch hardware.

TylerD

So yeah, as a few people may know, I have this slight obsession with silent hardware. Maybe because my 40GB PS3 turned into a in-my-livingroom jet-engine after about an hour of Uncharted 2 or other demanding titles. A truly deafening roar.

So if possible, I want to avoid running into a similar noise trap with my next console. The XBOne has me covered there, with a look like a swiss cheese and a cooling solution that can only be described as "ample".

So, any info on the PS4 would be really appreciated :)

I am about to start MGS4 for the first time in 3 years and I never went further than the first time you meet the weapon mercenary. Probably going to be activating vacuum mode. Have some decent noise cancelling headphones now so maybe that will make it bearable.

hnnnnnghgh

The circlejerk is reaching explosive proportions

ah don't take me too seriously I'm just in awe of how often this happens

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Hard to tell since the fan blades on the PS4 are thinner where as the blades on the One are thicker.

Chip has a heatpipe to an aluminum bent sheet that covers the base with an attached case fan. That one case fan appears to be blowing out any heat from the power supply, memory, and CPU chip.

One's design is more like the Xbox 360 slim's and a conservative approach of cooling a CPU chip as it's similar to how a PC cools.

Sorry, that pic is actually the PS3s cooling system.

Also, the X1 has an external power brick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom