• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XBoxOne will be near silent. And the PS4??

Status
Not open for further replies.

netBuff

Obviously it did something to you since you are taking the effort to reply..
Anyway, I'm not here to play that game.. I'm just hoping the anti MS hype cools down a little.

MS absolutely deserves the reaction they are getting.

Where was it stated that either console would be silent?

Awesome if true.

Never, and they aren't going to be. Mattrick spoke of "Whisper quiet", which certainly isn't silent. But they are very likely going to be pretty quiet.

Depending on how important noise truly is, just mod the X1 or PS4 to fit your needs

Same goes for heat

In my opinion, a gaming console doesn't need to run silent or even that quietly

Sure I'd prefer it to be quieter but not a deal breaker as I can always modify it if I so desire

I'm sure someone could make a near silent X1 or even PS4 if they were so inclined (while powered I mean ;)

Anyone else think there is likely to be a detector in the X1 that can tell if you opened the case?

sholvaco

Neo Member
The 100W is for the XBO, shouldn't we assume a bit more for PS4 thanks to more active CU cores or does ESRAM generate the same waste?

But even assuming 140W I admit that is already way less than even the PS3 SuperSlim so it should be reasonably silent. I hope I can cook up a decent dust filter, I am so paranoid about cooler clogging.

Superslim TDP rating must be quite a bit lower than that as typical consumption figures are in the ~70 Watts range.

As for filtered intake the only way you're going to make that happen on PS4 is by cutting a big ole hole in the bottom of the console and attaching a fan with filter there.

Al13n

Neo Member
Leaving aside that you seem very invested in the Xbone if you can't even take a little joke: I don't care in the least what system you buy. If you make purchasing decision based on irrelevant criteria such as this, you're only hurting yourself.

I'm not, my pre-order was on it's way after the PS4 press event. There is still a chance I'll get a PS4 as well, but all I'm seeing (beside all the MS hate) is cockiness among SONY fans and even with SONY themselves.. And it's not that joke alone. Every legitimate and harmless thread I open, I see trolls popping up everywhere with the same kind of "jokes".

Jay Sosa

Comments like this on a legitimate post only strengthens my resolve to buy a XBONE..

I've never had anything against, Sony, hell I even own several playstation devices, but people are overreacting and not thinking straight.

I most likely won't buy either..but yeah, it's getting a bit annoying to be honest.

I came here to actually get some info..and then scroll through 200 lol posts...

Figuratively speaking with "everyone's stupid except me" he's implying the opposite which translates in the fact that everyone would want a PS4 instead of a XBONE. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm implying that you think everyone is stupid except you because somehow we're not seeing these magical facts and truths that make the Xbone superior to the PS4.

I'm not, my pre-order was on it's way after the PS4 press event. There is still a chance I'll get a PS4 as well, but all I'm seeing (beside all the MS hate) is cockiness among SONY fans and even with SONY themselves.. And it's not that joke alone. Every legitimate and harmless thread I open, I see trolls popping up everywhere with the same kind of "jokes".

If that's cockiness then what do you call what Phil Harrison and Don Mattrick are doing?

Veronica

Banned
The PS4 will probably be louder, as you'll actually have it switched on.

Sorry, but I'd do a perma-ban on anyone issuing these "i gotta be wittier than X poster on explaining how much the Xbox One will fail, sucks, etc."

Gaf has never been about this kind of behavior and now it's openly allowed.

I'm not, my pre-order was on it's way after the PS4 press event. There is still a chance I'll get a PS4 as well, but all I'm seeing (beside all the MS hate) is cockiness among SONY fans and even with SONY themselves.. And it's not that joke alone. Every legitimate and harmless threads, I see trolls popping up everywhere.

Cockiness?

This is cockiness as displayed by a MS top executive:-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584496

The only cocky ones were MS when they confidently dropped that DRM infested, mandatory online, 499 USD console and expect it sell when their competitors are undercutting them by 100 USD on an arguably more powerful, consumer and offline friendly machine.

The new E3 batch of juniors are really something to behold.

Al13n

Neo Member
I'm implying that you think everyone is stupid except you because somehow we're not seeing these magical facts and truths that make the Xbone superior to the PS4.

Yeah I know that, and if you take that a even bit further you'll get my logic about Sony outselling MS in the future.

netBuff

It's hard to take you seriously when you obviously make decision that financially impact you based on absurd metrics.

Gold Member
MS has disappointed a lot of their fans (me included) with their recent announcements, it stands to reason that there is going to be a lot of hate towards them currently - welcome to the Internet :)

No doubt it will subside soon enough.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Sorry, but I'd do a perma-ban on anyone issuing these "i gotta be wittier than X poster on explaining how much the Xbox One will fail, sucks, etc."

1. Back seat modding is bannable
  2. GAF has a history of exceptional first posts aimed at everything and anything. It happened before Xbone, it's happening to Xbone, and it will happen in the future too.

Al13n

Neo Member
Cockiness?

This is cockiness by a MS top executive:-

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=584496

The only cocky ones were MS when they confidently dropped that DRM infested, mandatory online, 499 USD console and expect it sell when their competitors are undercutting them by 100 USD on an arguably more powerful, consumer and offline friendly machine.

I don't condone his reply but in my opinion it just dissolves in the sea of statements of SONY the last two days.. Except, everybody here is blind for those.

semiconscious

Gold Member
  1. Back seat modding is bannable
  2. GAF has a history of exceptional first posts aimed at everything and anything. It happened before Xbone, it's happening to Xbone, and it will happen in the future too.

yep. never feels quite as funny when they happen to nail one of your faves, but, hey :) ...

Al13n

Neo Member
It's hard to take you seriously when you obviously make decision that financially impact you based on absurd metrics.

I already said that my initial decision was based on the lineup of games showed on E3.. Not on the hate towards MS. If I made my decision based on that alone, I would be crazy indeed. :)

DBT85

Can we get back on topic please?

It's a question that cannot be answered yet. The XBONE has a 140mm fan on a fat heatsink, but it has to cool a large APU. The PS4 will have a cooler APU so won't need as large a fan or heatsink, but the case is smaller and it's got an internal PSU.

No reason Sony can't have put a 120mm fan in that case in my view.

netBuff

Can we get back on topic please?

The problem is: There isn't really a topic to discuss, as we know neither console's loudness. We also don't know that the Xbone will be "near silent", all we've heard is "whisper quiet" which could be a far cry from "near silent".

I don't condone his reply but in my opinion it just dissolves in the sea of statements of SONY the last two days.. Except, everybody here is blind for those.

If you can't handle a little ribbing of your favourite console, message boards are going to take a toll on you.

Ricky_R

Comments like this on a legitimate post only strengthens my resolve to buy a XBONE..

I've never had anything against, Sony, hell I even own several playstation devices, but people are overreacting and not thinking straight.

I think the bolded fits perfectly for someone who picks a system by what somebody else says in a forum.

Really don't see how the first post is a win. You won't have the Xbox on because you didn't buy one? It doesn't have games? Both consoles are always connected.

It's like the suck a fuck bit from Darko, it's an insult that makes no real sense. Shame it spawned so many absurd FIRST POST NAILED LOL posts, ignoring the actual question.

Mindlog

I don't get why people think the ps4 will be louder by being smaller.

Smaller size = smaller components = less heat = less cooling needed = less noise.

The only other conclusion would be that Sony just jammed it in a tinier box with no care about cooling issues. That's not what they do.
Not quite sure how that stands up to scrutiny.

Here's hoping that that the cooling solution didn't have to factor in styling because the box is still a stupid box. I'd have been happier with a PS4 covered in gills. Maybe we'll get some undressed pictures very shortly. I would also like to know whether or not PS4 will finally support full game installs.*

*Reading mandatory now. I'm OK with that.
ms' anti-consumerism > 1 million pointless comments. not even in the same friggin' league...
How does inanity solve anything? I have to scroll by dozens of posts hoping I don't miss one or two discussing the topic at hand :\

Gold Member

Lol half of GAF (& most of this thread) would have been banned in the past few days - glad you're not a mod ;)

Damn. Firstpost so powerful its borderline destructive
to the thread

PS4 cooling system. Likely much quieter.
fan2.jpg

Any source on that img?

Al13n

Neo Member
If you can't handle a little ribbing of your favourite console, message boards are going to take a toll on you.

It's not that I can't handle it, it's just getting too much.. Every thread I open, I see the same sort of replies. Hell, if I'd make a thread about the moon here on gaf I bet the first reply will be a joke about the XBONE.

I think the bolded fits perfectly for someone who picks a system by what somebody else says in a forum.
I only said: "strengthens my resolve", I (pre)ordered based on the game lineup shown on E3.

Really don't see how the first post is a win. You won't have the Xbox on because you didn't buy one? It doesn't have games? Both consoles are always connected.

It's like the suck a fuck bit from Darko, it's an insult that makes no real sense. Shame it spawned so many absurd FIRST POST NAILED LOL posts, ignoring the actual question.
ikr

I mean shit it's a decent burn but quoting it and saying just the word 'goddamn' (a post I have seen literally 60 times or more verbatim in the months I've been browsing this site, sometimes a dozen times in the same thread) adds nothing to the discussion and adds nothing to GAF except a culture of collectively masturbating over average jokes until five or ten whole pages are covered in spunk

Maybe I'm just not fun enough

ecosse_011172

No-one has a clue, they'll both say that they're silent, neither of them will be.
Wii U uses a fraction of the power and isn't remotely close to being silent.

FoxSpirit

Yes, but if the fan is like a small mosquito, it will get that annoying high pitched noise with high RPM.
GOOD GRACIOUS GOD, YOU MADE ME REMEMBER!!!!!!!!

coolera6ul9.jpg

This thing was a sin against mankind, after 2 weeks it began buzzing like a very angry, very LOUD mosquito in the case. 8000rpm!!! Always on full speed!!!!! Easily cut through any other noise, GPU full blast and any game sounds. Drove me nuts. They revised the motherboard only months later to accomodate a slightly larger fan because this was a much lambasted "feature" of this mainboard.

To show just how small the damn thing was:
98866334ux9.jpg

And the Northbridge still was at 50°-60°C... at 8000rpm!!!!

I swore to god that my next motherboard would not have active Northbridge cooling again, no matter the price.

spookyfish

Heh ... "cockiness" is saying "we'll lend you your games that you buy, and YOU'LL LIKE IT."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom