• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The XBoxOne will be near silent. And the PS4??

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
ikr

I mean shit it's a decent burn but quoting it and saying just the word 'goddamn' (a post I have seen literally 60 times or more verbatim in the months I've been browsing this site, sometimes a dozen times in the same thread) adds nothing to the discussion and adds nothing to GAF except a culture of collectively masturbating over average jokes until five or ten whole pages are covered in spunk

Maybe I'm just not fun enough

Talking about how something doesn't add to the thread doesn't add to the thread either.

Ein Bear

Just came back to the thread, and have never felt more loved - thanks GAF! :)

Sorry for de-railing the discussion though FoxSpirit. Wasn't my intention, feel a bit bad about it now :/ And I'm sorry for being cocky and making people buy Xboxes.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the PS4 runs quietly. Though I'll admit that noise/heat are vaguely concerning, given the small form factor... the whole thing seems a bit too good to be true, if that makes sense? The PS3, Slim, and Vita have all been really slick pieces of tech, however, so I'm willing to give Sony the benefit of the doubt on this one. Fingers crossed!

ikr

I mean shit it's a decent burn but quoting it and saying just the word 'goddamn' (a post I have seen literally 60 times or more verbatim in the months I've been browsing this site, sometimes a dozen times in the same thread) adds nothing to the discussion and adds nothing to GAF except a culture of collectively masturbating over average jokes until five or ten whole pages are covered in spunk

NoFunAllowed.jpg

(Good) First posts are almost an art/talent. Try it sometime and see how hard it is. Its an interesting merge of thread title, OP, wit, truth, first post, response and reaction.

Sorry that was the PS3 cooling system. Noted a couple pages back.

Ahh, I was wondering why that thing looked huge. lol

Haha, the first post is now every post in this thread.

I don't think it'll be loud. Sony have specifically gone for low power draw components, especially the processor.

And have you seen the vents on that thing?

Can somebody please name one custom designed consumer product that was small and loud? I don't get where this idea is coming from that small = loud.

Mondriaan

Can somebody please name one custom designed consumer product that was small and loud? I don't get where this idea is coming from that small = loud.
Well, the original Xbox 360 drives were pretty loud although this wasn't something that affected everyone. The Dreamcast drives were also something else.

big_z

Microsoft is using a large slow moving fan to cool the xbone. It'll be very quiet.

Going by the ps4 design and how thin it is I would guess they are using a blower design much like reference videocards on pc. This type of cooling is quite a bit louder, especially when gaming where it can sound like a hair dryer.

Obviously it did something to you since you are taking the effort to reply..
Anyway, I'm not here to play that game.. I'm just hoping the anti MS hype cools down a little.

Jr this isn't anti MS hype, its anti bullshit hype. Every company that does something stupid gets it.

ikr

Sorry, but I'd do a perma-ban on anyone issuing these "i gotta be wittier than X poster on explaining how much the Xbox One will fail, sucks, etc."

Gaf has never been about this kind of behavior and now it's openly allowed.

I was going to respond to these but ...

1. Back seat modding is bannable
  2. GAF has a history of exceptional first posts aimed at everything and anything. It happened before Xbone, it's happening to Xbone, and it will happen in the future too.

Thank you NinjaFridge. Stop talking and pay attention juniors. It will save you a permaban.

edit: shit sorry dp.

Vestal

Gold Member

louder than the xbone. Simply because given similar architecture the ps4 will use a smaller fan which in turn will need to spin faster to dissipate the same amount of heat as the xbones larger fan

Jomjom

Banned
Sony is a seasoned hardware company, while MS is a seasoned software company. I don't get why people are so sure that the PS4 will be louder, barring the one situation where it is bound to be true as detailed in the first post.

I would never assume that any hardware made by MS will be better than hardware made by Sony because MS hardware is almost always horrible.

Owzers

louder than the xbone. Simply because given similar architecture the ps4 will use a smaller fan which in turn will need to spin faster to dissipate the same amount of heat as the xbones larger fan

how do we know the fan is going to be small though, what if it's just thin? *doesn't know that much about fans but that seems like a possibility*

androvsky

how do we know the fan is going to be small though, what if it's just thin? *doesn't know that much about fans but that seems like a possibility*
That's pretty much how the launch PS3s did it, and most of those turned out surprisingly quiet. Some systems had crappy thermal paste so the fan had to run full blast, but mine at least was a bit quieter than a mid-generation fat PS2.

Owzers

My 60GB early ps3 fat was a space heater hair dryer that was incredibly annoying. My slim model is much quieter but makes a high pitched buzz noise, if not for the buzzing i'd be fine with it's fan blowing sound as it's not that bad.

Strike

The PS4 will probably be louder, as you'll actually have it switched on.
Oh snap
ro7Q5.gif

Erasus

I would like it if Sony showed the internals just like MS did.

Hoping for a big fan.

But the 2009 Slim is very well designed so I have faith. But until we get DF or Anandtech or Arstechnica to do an in-depth test we wont know.

Gaming sites are just gonna unbox it and set it up... if that.

WolvenOne

Both consoles should draw much less wattage than the launch Ps360's. So they should be decently quiet. The XBone might have a small advantage here, because of the larger case, but I doubt either will be very loud.

TheExodu5

Banned

That's how cooling works. Two devices being equal, the larger one of the two has more room for heatsinks and bigger fans. Generally, the bigger the heatsink and the bigger the fan, the quieter the system. Basics of computer cooling.

TheExodu5

Banned
I need to talk about this "praised" the first post. It makes no sense. By saying it's not switched on, you're implying that people will buy both but not use the Xbox One. Why is that? Is there something that would make you want to buy the Xbox but not play it? I don't get it.

I have no idea why everyone thinks it's a clever post.

wizzbang

Banned
So yeah, as a few people may know, I have this slight obsession with silent hardware. Maybe because my 40GB PS3 turned into a in-my-livingroom jet-engine after about an hour of Uncharted 2 or other demanding titles. A truly deafening roar.

So if possible, I want to avoid running into a similar noise trap with my next console. The XBOne has me covered there, with a look like a swiss cheese and a cooling solution that can only be described as "ample".

So, any info on the PS4 would be really appreciated :)

I am a bit concerned this might be Sonys one weak spot. The photos of the console look BLOODY small - and it's got small vents.
It has more GPU power than the Xbox One AND it has the power transformer inside the box as well, unlike the Xbox One.
I can't see how this thing can't possibly be noisy / hot - or in the very least, at least noisier / hotter than the Xbox One (which I'm suspecting will be near silent - one thing very commendable by Microsoft)

DBT85

That's how cooling works. Two devices being equal, the larger one of the two has more room for heatsinks and bigger fans. Generally, the bigger the heatsink and the bigger the fan, the quieter the system. Basics of computer cooling.

But they aren't equal. Despite the PS4 being more powerful it has a smaller APU.

I need to talk about this "praised" the first post. It makes no sense. By saying it's not switched on, you're implying that people will buy both but not use the Xbox One. Why is that? Is there something that would make you want to buy the Xbox but not play it? I don't get it.

I have no idea why everyone thinks it's a clever post.

Yeah, It doesn't seem funny or clever and doesn't really make sense for the reasons listed, the reaction is bizarre. Any burn on One I suppose qualifies as amusing now? I really don't know.

I'm probably missing something really amazing and will feel stupid soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom