• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thurrott: MS to announce a new standard Xbox controller and maybe Xbox Elite at E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tain

maybe the new d-pad will be able to stand to more than 10 hours of serious 2D action game playing before physically breaking down and becoming useless.

that would be nice.

MilkyJoe

You're not the only one. I've been thinking there would be an Oculus-ready revision ever since the announcement that Oculus would be using the XB1 controllers.

Yeah that caught my eye

then the speech about inter-generational revisions,

then the "no xb 1.5" and the "move forward in big numbers"

Then the Neo...

Xbox is the only platform without a VR solution.

Read between the lines and...doesnt seem so far fetched.

But 10tflops is pushing the envelope of reality... maybe it'll use the cloud
btn0xWoc6P9NvXIpiNSF.gif

Seriously ekim, new thread please, really intrigued to hear what you know!

Yeah i am quite interested now too. Dedicated event? Da fuck? That should be this month then.

Why would he be banned though? Didn't he gave us correct info so far?

Yeah that caught my eye

then the speech about inter-generational revisions,

then the "no xb 1.5" and the "move forward in big numbers"

Then the Neo...

Xbox is the only platform without a VR solution.

Read between the lines and...doesnt seem so far fetched.

But 10tflops is pushing the envelope of reality... maybe it'll use the cloud
btn0xWoc6P9NvXIpiNSF.gif

Yup, but the moving forward in big numbers could be about the future. Not necessarily this year. Oculus for Xbox would make a lot of sense indeed. They already ship their controller with them and plus they don't really have to worry and focus much on the OR, since they are not the ones making it. It really isn't far fetched at all, i agree completely with that. If MS jumps into the VR boat as well, i wonder what Nintendo is going to do. But first let's see what Nintendo is even going to do anyway, lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
oculus-rift-retail-box-1jpg-c738db_765w.jpg

*cough*

I've been speculating this for weeks

4TF recommended spec for GPU, although you'd need to add the CPU on too.

And thats just the 10TF rumour being OTT for VR. The '5-6x Neo' is even more insane, as that would be around 20+ TF based on current Neo rumours. Thats like Titan X quad-SLI level insanity.

chadskin

I personally go to Apple fan sites for insider rumors on the next iPhone when I'm looking to upgrade. Comparing a fan site with an individual poster isn't the clearest analogy, yet there is definitely a risk of bias.

Those Apple fan sites (9to5Mac, AppleInsider, MacRumors) are professionally run, commercially viable and established outlets.

xrays-insider.blogspot.com is not.

Tntnico

You're not the only one. I've been thinking there would be an Oculus-ready revision ever since the announcement that Oculus would be using the XB1 controllers.

That's exactly what I'm really hoping for. I'm waiting for E3 to decide my future hardware plans and VR will be a decisive factor.

onQ123

Signs that it's fake

Code:
   HBM DDR4 memory in GPU

Why would it be HBM DDR4? they are 2 different memory types

Code:
  5-6 times PS4 Neo, then something in the order of over 10 TFLOPS or so.

5-6 times PS4 Neo would be 20 TFLOPS not 10

Code:
       "The chip is based on Arctic Island family of AMD's 14-nanometer FinFET or Polaris-11 Vega, GCN 4.0 in production for this summer,

10 - 20 TFLOP Polaris-11? lol this is clearly Misterxmedia

Zeta Oni

Yeah i am quite interested now too. Dedicated event? Da fuck? That should be this month then.

Why would he be banned though? Didn't he gave us correct info so far?

Because if that one posters link is really the source, this is speculation at best, complete BS at worst.

Some parts sound perfectly believable but throwing stuff like 10TF out with no solid proof just isnt gonna fly, it's just not feasible.

Completely ignoring those specs for now, what Ekim said sounds good though. A special event will definitely mean it's not just going to be a smaller Xbox One with slight changes. I hope it's true, would be really nice.

MilkyJoe

Signs that it's fake

Code:
   HBM DDR4 memory in GPU

Why would it be HBM DDR4? they are 2 different memory types

Code:
  5-6 times PS4 Neo, then something in the order of over 10 TFLOPS or so.

5-6 times PS4 Neo would be 20 TFLOPS not 10

Code:
       "The chip is based on Arctic Island family of AMD's 14-nanometer FinFET or Polaris-11 Vega, GCN 4.0 in production for this summer,

10 - 20 TFLOP Polaris-11? lol this is clearly Misterxmedia

That would be hilarious if he was the insider

Speaking of which, MisterX alter ego InsiderX is all over this on twitter... Such a bell end.

Those Apple fan sites (9to5Mac, AppleInsider, MacRumors) are professionally run, commercially viable and established outlets.

xrays-insider.blogspot.com is not.

Now had you used that logic in your previous post then I wouldn't have responded in the same manner. For the record, I think the specs are too good to be true. But at the same time, I see no harm in MS announcing a system more powerful than the NEO prior to E3 when they know Sony's announcement is incoming. Even if the system isn't released until next year, it would still help their cause by deterring NEO would-be purchasers.

Zeta Oni

I will say that is if there is new hardware, I really hope they do talk about it before E3.

Keep the E3 conference as a games only thing.

MilkyJoe

Now had you used that logic in your previous post then I wouldn't have responded in the same manner. For the record, I think the specs are too good to be true. But at the same time, I see no harm in MS announcing a system more powerful than the NEO prior to E3 when they know Sony's announcement is incoming. Even if the system isn't released until next year, it would still help their cause by deterring NEO would-be purchasers.

Yeah that's been my thinking too. If they say nothing and Neo is announced for this years, pre-orders will start going out.

Yoday

Xbone and PS4 are sold at a profit from day 1.

That's why they are so underpowered, and specially in Ms' case, why they couldn't have an on die memory and still have comparable or more processing power there (like they did with 360, which despite the edram had a gpu comparable in size of the RSX)
No they didn't. I remember Sony stating that they were profitable with a PS+ sub and a game, so they had a profit margin of about $60. Also, the XBO was said to be more expensive to build than the PS4 due to the larger APU. The difference is that they weren't losing hundreds on each system like the gen before, the margins were much tighter. The question is do they stick with a margin of around $60-$70, or do they value user acquisition higher now and loose $100+ on each system? A $500 system sold at a loss of around $70 could see the addition of a dedicated GPU on top of the APU using the multi GPU support of DX12.

Anyway, it's just going to be interesting to see what they end up doing.

Because if that one posters link is really the source, this is speculation at best, complete BS at worst.

Some parts sound perfectly believable but throwing stuff like 10TF out with no solid proof just isnt gonna fly, it's just not feasible.

Ah yes, that makes sense.

Definitely a believeable strategy, but i honestly wonder if that would even make people move to Xbox. Aren't a lot of people still very much PS4 minded (for lack of a better word)? I know my country is very much a PS country, even with the 360-PS3 days. And ever since the Xbox One and PS4 came out it has changed for other countries as well, i believe Germany is now very PS4 focused as well? PS4 is at 40 million now and Xbox One at about 20 i believe? That's a huge ass difference and i doubt it will change soon. That one E3 show a few years ago ruined a lot.

Hell i still talk to people and they bring that shit up again. It's a shame because MS was in a great position with 360.

chadskin

Microsoft announced their E3 press briefing:
It’s that time of the year again: E3 is just a few weeks away! That means now is the perfect time to start sharing some of our plans for one of the gaming industry’s biggest annual events.

Today, we’re excited to announce that the Xbox E3 2016 Briefing will take place Monday, June 13, beginning at 9:30 a.m. PDT. During the briefing, you’ll have a chance to check out everything from in-depth looks at previously-announced games to trailers for our unannounced titles coming in 2016 and beyond. You can watch the Xbox E3 2016 Briefing live beginning at 9:30 a.m. PDT on June 13 on Xbox.com, the Xbox Twitch Channel, via the Xbox Live Events Player on Xbox One and Xbox 360 consoles, or on the big screen at your local Microsoft store. You can also watch the Xbox E3 2016 Briefing on Spike TV in the U.S. and Canada at 9:30 a.m. PDT / 12:30 p.m. EDT.
http://news.xbox.com/2016/05/03/xbox-at-e3-2016/

Microsoft announced their E3 press briefing:

http://news.xbox.com/2016/05/03/xbox-at-e3-2016/

Let one of those previously-announced titles please PLEASE be Recore. That trailer last year looked awesome and i really hope it will be something awesome. But it's really about time we see something.

Tech could be anything though. A new version of the controller and a slim Xbox One fall under that, don't they? A special event before E3 though.......but seems kind of doubtful now.

Zeta Oni

It’s that time of the year again: E3 is just a few weeks away! That means now is the perfect time to start sharing some of our plans for one of the gaming industry’s biggest annual events.

Today, we’re excited to announce that the Xbox E3 2016 Briefing will take place Monday, June 13, beginning at 9:30 a.m. PDT. During the briefing, you’ll have a chance to check out everything from in-depth looks at previously-announced games to trailers for our unannounced titles coming in 2016 and beyond. You can watch the Xbox E3 2016 Briefing live beginning at 9:30 a.m. PDT on June 13 on Xbox.com, the Xbox Twitch Channel, via the Xbox Live Events Player on Xbox One and Xbox 360 consoles, or on the big screen at your local Microsoft store. You can also watch the Xbox E3 2016 Briefing on Spike TV in the U.S. and Canada at 9:30 a.m. PDT / 12:30 p.m. EDT.

latest

Definitely a believeable strategy, but i honestly wonder if that would even make people move to Xbox. Aren't a lot of people still very much PS4 minded (for lack of a better word)? I know my country is very much a PS country, even with the 360-PS3 days. And ever since the Xbox One and PS4 came out it has changed for other countries as well, i believe Germany is now very PS4 focused as well? PS4 is at 40 million now and Xbox One at about 20 i believe? That's a huge ass difference and i doubt it will change soon. That one E3 show a few years ago ruined a lot.

Hell i still talk to people and they bring that shit up again. It's a shame because MS was in a great position with 360.

In many (if not most) countries, I doubt they'll have a chance in hell to catch up. I believe they still have a shot to regain the status of the market leader in the US at least though.

Definitely a believeable strategy, but i honestly wonder if that would even make people move to Xbox. Aren't a lot of people still very much PS4 minded (for lack of a better word)?

The power delta is only one of a myriad of issues that is relegating the Xbox to a distant second place this generation, but, it's still one that they should and need to fix.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Great fact checking Eurogamer (even if 'rumor'). Seemed sloppy to even link to that rumor with basic tech knowledge would see the red flags. Come on.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why not? Last gen consoles had split gpu and cpu designs and drew about 200W at launch.

Because there is nothing out there that can do 10-20TF, let alone draw that low of power.

And splitting with current tech we know of, will make the power draw larger... hence one of the advantages of an APU design.

TalonJH

I admit that I do believe that they are going to announce stronger HW at E3...but not at those specs and not at a normal consumer price. Maybe a XBox branded preconfigured PC but even that seems wrong in the context of the rumor.

With Neo, and NX, I expect a new MS console also (christ, it really is a new generation thinking about all 3, man what a short generation) but man 5-6x Neo, 10+ TF of performance? I would buy that so hard if that was true, but that's ridiculous specs and nothing on the market matches that not even on the high end $1k cards.

JPS Kai

Think they're going to give those controllers away to E3 press conference attendees? I haven't heard of them giving anything out since the Slim 360 but I wouldn't be surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom