• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titan X announced, 12GB framebuffer, 8 billion transistors.

Zanosuke

So, 2x 980 or 1x Titan X? Purely for gaming?

1 x Titan X. This is coming from someone who is currently running two 670's. I have been rather disappointed with the lack of SLI-support and lazy PC-ports with SLI-problems (I'm looking at you FC4, DA:I!)

Kezen

Banned
It's exactly what you would expect given the specs.

Note how I described my OC'd 970 as "~40% slower than this card" before these results were posted, and how it sits at 61% in the chart :p

Well I'm not impressed by those results because I compared this new Titan to an OC'd 980. I should have compared stock 980 vs stock Titan X.

Fares better but I struggle to see much value there, if the rumored price turns out true.

Could be, but this will probably be on market for months before it comes out.

The site says 999. If its not legit, then the benches probably aren't either.

Doubt it, maybe a month or two head start, that's about it. The VR demos at GDC were powered by an AMD ultra enthusiast GPU, if they have silicon in hand, that isn't just an engineering sample, then it should be unveiled in late April, or May. Computex would have 390s from third party vendors on display.

SLI performance is impressive. I've managed to talk myself out of buying this card right away. I don't need 12GB of VRAM, I'll wait for the cut down card later this fall or see what the 390X has to offer.

If an AMD card has ever sounded special...

EDIT: And it looks about 30% faster than a 980, not 50.

Well, not sure which numbers you are comparing, but if you point out the non-overclocked versions of both cards it isn't 30% or 50% faster than the 980 because then you have to take percentages of the 980.

knitoe

Well I'm not impressed by those results because I compared this new Titan to an OC'd 980. I should have compared stock 980 vs stock Titan X.

Fares better but I struggle to see much value there, if the rumored price turns out true.
This card isn't for you. Titans were never about "value'".

Gusy

Correct me if I'm wrong but.. Is the OC Titan-X 87% faster than the original Titan? (In this particular benchmark I mean). I know real gaming performance might change that tune but... daamn. How much money will selling a kidney get me these days?

Durante

Well yeah, obviously it won't be good value. No Titan ever was (even remotely).

Why is SLI bad? Sorry for the questions, I'm building my first ever gaming pc right now lol.

SLI is supported by less games and the performance ratio isn't the same as the card ratio you have.

Even though in this benchmark it seems to scale very well, it won't be the same in games. Besides that, SLI often gives issues on the launch with some games, with support coming later or SLI performance being worse.

I would definitely not recommend it for a first gaming PC. The GTX 980 and Titan X both are not great value and I think you are better off going with a GTX 970 and waiting for a new generation of cards.

Unless you want/need all the power now.

Naminator

Banned
Jesus Christ what the hell would anyone need 12 Gigs of RAM for?

Graphic designers I guess?

Anyway, I'm still holding out until that Pascal or Volta architecture, kinda tired of maxwell already.

Are these cards even meant for gaming?

Feels like they are built for work purposes, I mean I can't imagine the meeting where somebody comes up with the idea of making a 1.3 thousand dollar card for gaming. Seriously.

Kezen

Banned
This card isn't for you. Titans were never about "value'".
I know. But then I can see AMD undercutting Nvidia rather easily by pricing the Titan X equivalent at 550$. And if the rumored specs of the 390X are accurate we are looking at quite a monster, how will it stack up against this new Titan I don't know since raw specs can't be compared (considering architecture differences).

The perf/watt is astronomical though, only 230w TDP.

Yes. We are not talking about the quadro line. This is clearly advertised as a gaming card (which does not preclude it from being useful eslewhere).

Feels like they are built for work purposes, I mean I can't imagine the meeting where somebody comes up with the idea of making a 1.3 thousand dollar card for gaming. Seriously.
Nvidia did that with the Titan and it apparently worked out OK for them. There is a market for that price bracket albeit a niche one.

Durante said:
Well yeah, obviously it won't be good value. No Titan ever was (even remotely).
Well the DP of the Titan meant it could be used for other fields than gaming. From the perspective of a professional and a moderate gamer the pricetag of the Titan was more attractive.
I would argue that the Titan was good value in that specific scenario.

Of course if gaming was the only purpose then 1.000$ was a tough pill to swallow.

Speaking of purpose, there are rumors that this new Titan would not pack too much DP which would mean it's definitely more a gaming card than the previous Titans.

Theonik

SLI is supported by less games and the performance ratio isn't the same as the card ratio you have.

Even though in this benchmark it seems to scale very well, it won't be the same in games. Besides that, SLI often gives issues on the launch with some games, with support coming later or SLI performance being worse.

I would definitely not recommend it for a first gaming PC. The GTX 980 and Titan X both are not great value and I think you are better off going with a GTX 970 and waiting for a new generation of cards.

Besides, with the way tasks are usually allocated in SLI you can get micro-stuttering and other performance errata when playing a game in SLI that would not occur in a single setup.

Furthermore, normal SLI doens't allow you to us triple buffering.

Exentryk

Well, since I'm not really that savvy, I'm getting someone to build and stress test it for me. And I'd rather just go big once, and not have to worry about it for 4-5 years.

Also, I'd prefer to have the system ready before Witcher 3 hits. :(

Durante

I'd say they are meant for gaming as much as a Ferrari is meant for driving to work.

Except they don't really have an equivalent to many of the drawbacks of a Ferrari, like limited room for storage. They are mostly just better at everything :p

Well, since I'm not really that savvy, I'm getting someone to build and stress test it for me. And I'd rather just go big once, and not have to worry about it for 4-5 years.

I'd really just get a single (good) 980 then. High-end, but not stupidly expensive, and none of the SLI worries.

I really think there is some odd VRAM balancing in this card given its grunt. Obviously, it is a fantastic reason / excuse for Nvidia to price the card at those "titan" levels.
You do realize that the 390X will most likely be equal to, or better in performance to the Titan X right?

Also whilst being hotter and having only 4GB of available VRAM, right? It will be a jumble.

They are for people/businesses that like to spend a lot of money and want the best available. It isn't a good price/performance ratio, everyone should know that.

Besides, with the way tasks are usually allocated in SLI you can get micro-stuttering and other performance errata when playing a game in SLI that would not occur in a single setup.

Yeah, I wasn't sure microstuttering was still an issue, at least I know there has been advancement on that front.

Didn't know about the lack of triple buffering though, but it makes sense.

Since it is your first one don't go SLI. And by far the best thing you can do with your money is getting the card with the best value for the price now and upgrade later on again, it will last the longest for the same amount of money. Switching your graphics card isn't that difficult.

Otherwise, decide for yourself. Titan X is the best single card, but probably the worst price/performance ratio.

riflen

What are you referring to with this statement? That SLI is not compatible with Windowed modes?

What are you referring to with this statement? That SLI is not compatible with Windowed modes?

He may be meaning that. Not sure what he means... because I can definitely activate "tripple buffering" it may not be the correct type of tripple buffering though depending upon the game implementations.

Exentryk

Hmm... have no idea what triple buffering is, but it SLI system is actually going to detrimental and cause issues, then I can see why buying a single powerful card like Titan X might be worth it.

Also, I wonder if a single 980 will be enough to run Witcher 3 at 60 fps with bells and whistles at 1080p on HDTV. Decisions decisions.

EDIT - I appreciate the advice guys. Guess I'll be speaking with my build guy to make some changes, or at least wait until more details on Titan X come out.

I'd say they are meant for gaming as much as a Ferrari is meant for driving to work.

Except they don't really have an equivalent to many of the drawbacks of a Ferrari, like limited room for storage. They are mostly just better at everything :p

Social status though. These cards offer none.

Hmm... have no idea what triple buffering is, but it SLI system is actually going to detrimental and cause issues, then I can see why buying a single powerful card like Titan X might be worth it.

Also, I wonder if a single 980 will be enough to run Witcher 3 at 60 fps with bells and whistles at 1080p on HDTV. Decisions decisions.

Sure. Although with ALL bells and whistles I can't give a guarantee. It is quite possible that there is a setting that will completely tank framerates. Although usually it is probably something supersampling so that you end up basically rendering at 4K anyway.

Wanting to check every checkbox in a PC game is not healthy behavior for your wallet.

Even with a GTX 970 I am pretty confident on running The Witcher 3 on 1080P 60FPS though.

riflen

He may be meaning that. Not sure what he means... because I can definitely activate "tripple buffering" it may not be the correct type of tripple buffering though depending upon the game implementations.

Yes, there are hardly any Windows DirectX games with a correct triple buffering implementation, so I guessed he was referring to Borderless Windowed mode.
Either way, I don't consider it a problem because AFR SLI requires a render queue with several buffers anyway by default. Bad for latency, but if your frame times are low enough, it's debatable that you can even notice.

Exentryk

Sure. Although with ALL bells and whistles I can't give a guarantee. It is quite possible that there is a setting that will completely tank framerates. Although usually it is probably something supersampling so that you end up basically rendering at 4K anyway.

Wanting to check every checkbox in a PC game is not healthy behavior for your wallet.

Even with a GTX 970 I am pretty confident on running The Witcher 3 on 1080P 60FPS though.

The DSR feature was tempting, and I was going to try it lol. But I guess I could live without it. Might just go with a single 980 then if it can run that game nicely.

Theonik

Depends on the SLI mode that is being used but in AFR which is what nVidia SLI uses, the frames are rendered in alternation between the two cards. This means that you cannot hold 3 frame buffers in 2 cards without additional latency. You can do it in 1, or 3 cards though. There is probably workarounds and it might be that there has been breakthroughs recently. idk.
Edit:

Yes, there are hardly any Windows DirectX games with a correct triple buffering implementation, so I guessed he was referring to Borderless Windowed mode.
Either way, I don't consider it a problem because AFR SLI requires a render queue with several buffers anyway by default. Bad for latency, but if your frame times are low enough, it's debatable that you can even notice.
That is until you actually are running close to maximum performance of your cards whereupon your frametimes increase so you are generally better served with a single monster card.

Depends on the SLI mode that is being used but in AFR which is what nVidia SLI uses, the frames are rendered in alternation between the two cards. This means that you cannot hold 3 frame buffers in 2 cards. You can do it in 1, or 3 cards though. There is probably workarounds and it might be that there has been breakthroughs recently. idk.

WHen you have 3 way SLI.. there is a "Vertical Sync Smooth AFR behavior" tick box in Nvidia Inspector. I wonder how and what it does.. I would assume triple buffering.

Are people scoffing at that 37% increase?

I think people are scoffing at the eventual price set up. It is quite obvious how Nvidia prompts and scales its hardware spec to fit the titan in at its price bracket.

I think the performance is actually really awesome.

Momentary

Banned
It's almost a 30% increase looking at a stock 980 and TITAN X. Then looking at the OC numbers it's a 45% increase from the stock 980. Aside from price, that's pretty damn impressive if these numbers are legit.

Seanspeed

Banned
EDIT: And it looks about 30% faster than a 980, not 50.
50%.

I see people make this mistake a lot.

You could say the 980 is 70% as powerful as the TitanX. But that doesn't mean the TitanX is only 30% more powerful. It doesn't quite work like that. 50% more powerful than the 980 would be taking 50% of the 980's score and adding it on top.

Momentary

Banned
I think people are scoffing at the eventual price set up. It is quite obvious how Nvidia prompts and scales its hardware spec to fit the titan in at its price bracket.

I think the performance is actually really awesome.

Watch NVIDIA announce this at 699 and be hailed as heroes.

Zaph

Wow, is that 999 USD price legit? Still expensive, but the leaks/rumours had me expecting ~1300

This price would put it at around £899...

I'm building a Gaming computer in the summer. Am I safe getting a 980 to play current gen games at 1080p 60fps? (i7 16gb)Shiuld I get this new Titan instead? Budget is $2500

viveks86

GeForce-GTX-TITAN-X-3DMark11-EX.png

First benchmarks for the Titan X http://videocardz.com/55013/nvidia-geforce-gtx-titan-x-3dmark-performance

This is way better than I expected. It seems overpriced by a couple hundred dollars, but given it's a Titan, it's not much. Holy shit I might actually get a Titan X! So glad I waited. How confident are people about the price and release date?

If the performance is only about 21% better than a factory OC'ed 980, I don't think it's going to be worth $1000. $570 for the G1 Gaming card, and in respect to that, it would be about $750 to $800? Or is my math off?

Smokey

Value and Titan line don't belong in the same sentence. You don't buy the card for value.

Top Bottom