• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

So...as someone who never played the original, and hasn't ever put serious time into COD, is it safe to assume I'll enjoy this game?

A friend and I are hyped to play it together, but seeing all this negativity is a bit of a bummer.

Impossible to say. Download the test and try it for yourself.

So...as someone who never played the original, and hasn't ever put serious time into COD, is it safe to assume I'll enjoy this game?

A friend and I are hyped to play it together, but seeing all this negativity is a bit of a bummer.

Absolutely not. Why haven't you tried the free demo?

Freiya

I'm surprised more people aren't complaining about the neutered rodeo. I really can't understand why they would just change so many things that weren't broken.

bunkitz

Aww, man, that sounds really disappointing. I thought I would be okay with it since I didn't play the first game and thus didn't really have my own standards, but... shit, I really hope they'll change these, but I doubt that.

cluto

Let's hope so.

In the meanwhile we can continue basking in the glory that is Titanfall 1.

n06XoGO.gif

YJAJBNB.gif

WIG6QPw.gif

tZjCpwR.gif

Hmm. These look familiar for some reason...

Keep in mind that this is also fairly simplistic parkour compared to what people are capable of now. ;)

That hurts.

Played some LTS today. Had a match where I was outnumbered 4 titans to 1 but we had three pilots aandthey had none. I was able to boost around my Stryder, keeping enough distance to not lose all my shields, while we all peppered the enemy titans. Two of those four went down via rodeo. I nailed someone running the Scumbag build with a perfect cluster and just wrecked him. But the last guy was closing on me and I was almost dead. But my pilots hit him bam bam bam three charge rifle shots and right when he came around the corner where i was, one 40mm cannon shot put him into death state and I terminated him for the win.

As awesome as it was, all I was thinking was "this will never happen in TF2" :(

I guarantee you if they even have a LTS in TF2, with no shields its going to be a campfest. And you're gonna to have a lot of assholes who spawn, disembark, and just try to rodeo for batteries.

And since we can't create builds, I wont be able to have a small, fast titan with a 40mm cannon. I guess ill have to use a fucking sword :

antitrop

Keep in mind that this is also fairly simplistic parkour compared to what people are capable of now. ;)

Exactly, that's super basic stuff that still looks amazing and anyone can do. That 1% stuff is BS.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to pretend like that was my play. Although like I said, anyone can do those runs. You just move the mouse and tap space bar.

You have to try it yourself. It's better than COD, but a bit similar in some ways. Next weekend is the next test.

Titan meter changes and third person Titan embarking aside (two features I agree are steps down), I generally found Titanfall 2 to be a superior game to Titanfall 1.

This thread is evidence that my opinion on the matter is absolutely not going to be a very agreed upon one.

Following the release of the pretty promising single player impressions and footage, I reinstalled Titanfall 1 on my Xbox One ahead of the technical test in excitement. I had a good time. It's still not a bad game. It took me about 5 matches to get into the swing of things again, but once I did, I was finding myself able to generally hang with those who had stuck around and gotten extremely good at the game.

I then start Titanfall 2 tech test on my PS4, and it honestly doesn't feel THAT different to me. I think I agree that the map design is changed to generally disallow huge chains of momentum together, but when I see the gifs and the short clips of players utilizing that from Titanfall 1, and despite having pulled some of that sort of stuff off myself and finding it incredibly satisfying, the new map design works better for a competitive environment, IMO. I feel that many of the gifs and clips being shown as evidence of Titanfall 1's superiority are either very situational and not indicative of the whole of Titanfall 1 play or demonstrate a scenario in which an objective was achieved with little to no resistance from an enemy team because traversal and map design was generally TOO efficient and giving the player opportunity to completely dominate. I'll secede that I do think that the players in those scenarios have an extremely strong map knowledge and that is indeed an advantage afforded to them by more knowledgeable play (and I believe it's important that better-experienced players do have a strong advantage in competitive play), but with the various CTF captures being shown, it's literally like 10-20 second point-to-point dash with complete avoidance of enemy resistance... There's plenty to praise about how intuitive the controls of TF1 were and how well the maps were designed around utilizing it, but the truth of the matter (for me anyway) is that I think after adapting to the expectations of Titanfall, those quick, non-confrontational plays were the order of the day, and I think that's sort of stale and bad for a competitive environment.

Titanfall 2 limiting the opportunities to traverse the level along chained wallruns and elongated, momentum-driven jumps does actually alter the spirit of the game, but I think it creates a stronger competitive environment where players more frequently encounter one another, and overall creates a more robust competitive environment where player versus player is more in balance with player versus environment. Titanfall is still unique in the 2 Tech Test because I still think map knowledge and the ability to traverse the maps efficiently still provides a key advantage over lesser players, but I think using the map to as readily avoid confrontation is less of a factor, and the overall balance of dealing with both environmental and player factors is much better in Titanfall 2.

I also greatly appreciate new mechanics like the battery fetching/stealing mechanic, which mechanically promotes stronger team coordination.

That said, it's still my plan to continue playing Titanfall 1 when the tech tests aren't up and before the full Titanfall 2 game launches, but after the first tech test, I'm personally very interested in playing Titanfall 2, and I think I'm overall going to enjoyit more, despite agreeing that some things in the tech test felt relatively faulty (specifically, again: third-person titan embarking and backpedaling titan meter suck).

I certainly didn't spend the time to think about and type this up to tell everyone here they're wrong and get all confrontational, but I do hope that some people kind of see it this way. I get that Titanfall kind of established its identity with the ridiculously cool momentum plays, but perhaps there are superior ways to keep some of the other identifying elements such as the contrast of scale and pace of play between pilot and titan, NPCs as team score opportunities, etc... while still bringing a better balance of PVP and PVE elements... and to me, at least, Titanfall 2's tech test is mostly achieving that.

SwolBro

Banned
Respawn dev responded to the alleged FOV change. It's apparently the same 70 as it was in the first game.

This is the problem when people on the internet try to assume they know shit lol.

Agreed. Console-players are morons and don't have the skills for parkour.
I mean, are they any dumber than the PC crowd? I've seen PC attrition play, it's not that much better. Parkouring and bhopping on controller is just harder to do and is less obvious to players used to playing shooters that weren't ever very mobile.

Remember that most players still use "a" to jump. Think about that for a sec. The difference between an Elite controller player and a standard controller player not on bumper jumper is staggering.

eldudebro

I managed to play a few games in the tech demo and I have to say I agree with most of the complaints that are being laid here.

I loved the original Titanfall, I know that game inside and out. Respawn had one job, expand on what made the original game great. This sequel seems to have binned that and just feels like another shooter.

With Battlefield 1 and the next COD releasing the same window, this game is going to get buried if the overall opinion is mixed to negative. Maybe EA should push it back to spring 17 to give Respawn more cooking time, taking on board fanbase criticism and tweaking the game.

They wouldn't stick it right next to Battlefield if that was the only idea. Battlefield has been their direct competition with COD for years. I would have expected Titanfall 2 to be a February or March release.

How is releasing in February or March going to stop CoD in November? You don't understand. They're sacrificing both Titanfall AND Battlefield. They are acceptable losses to weaken CoD. Battlefield can't do it alone. Short term loss for a long term gain if they can open the door for BF5 and TF3 to really succeed.

don't worry dude it's just gaf being gaf

the game will be fun to play when its all said and done.

don't worry dude it's just gaf being gaf

the game will be fun to play when its all said and done.

It's really not. It's literally everyone who loves the first. I don't know a single person who likes this better than the first, and that includes both casual and hardcore players.

Respawn set the bar high and they missed it. TF2 is a good game. It might even be great. But it is so much worse than its predecessor that its strengths don't matter. We're blinded by what should have been, and that's not wrong.

I imagine if you haven't played TF there's something here to like.

Geist-

The tech test was so disappointing I canceled my collector's preorder. As much as I want that helmet, I can't justify that expenditure on a game that is so far removed from my expectations.

I guess I'll just keep playing TF1 until the servers go down.

SwolBro

Banned
It's really not. It's literally everyone who loves the first. I don't know a single person who likes this better than the first, and that includes both casual and hardcore players.

Pretty much every current top player on xbox one likes the new game and thinks with a few tweaks it will be better than the current game.

And i'm really interested to do a small real world sampling of all the people here claiming to be HUGE Titanfall fans that are utterly devastated over a tech test and wont buy the new game to see how much they really do know how to play the original. I really would love to see.

That hurts.

You have some great stuff! Especially in the windows round. <3

In fact, you inspired me!
rNfadj4.gif

I was super down on most of the changes the've made but if it's actually quake:cod edition i'm ready to trash some people on pc

Well, this isn't exactly so much of a change from the first game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHifTCQ4_Po

Managed to shave my time in the gauntlet down to 29:80. Also discovered a hidden grenade launcher (EGL?) on the map!

Pretty much every current top player on xbox one likes the new game and thinks with a few tweaks it will be better than the current game.

And i'm really interested to do a small real world sampling of all the people here claiming to be HUGE Titanfall fans that are utterly devastated over a tech test and wont buy the new game to see how much they really do know how to play the original. I really would love to see.

I'm still down to play, but what I was playing right now (as a whole) was not as good as TF1. I do think they can fix it, however, assuming that the rest of the maps aren't utter trash and they are willing to reconsider some decisions made re: titans.

I also discovered you can do a 360 spin whilst sliding in the same direction. That may be useful. The slide is easily (IMO) the best addition Respawn have made to the game..

I had fun with the tech test but I'm not happy with where it is right now. The movement shouldve been left alone IMO. There was nothing better than pulling off a flawless flag run in CTF and bouncing past titans that couldve easily killed you in one punch or shot. Now it would play like having weights around your pilots ankles whilst you try to run the flag.

SwolBro

Banned
I also discovered you can do a 360 spin whilst sliding in the same direction. That may be useful. The slide is easily (IMO) the best addition Respawn have made to the game..
It is and it wasn't until i added an extra paddle to the back of my elite mapped to slide that the game reallly started to open up for me.

Did people really find it this damn difficult to get a Titan?

I got one almost every single game I played, sometimes twice, and I would hardly call myself good at FPS games.....

Serious question here.
That's why i question the validity of some of these complaints. They're really contradictory and don't line up well with reality.

Example: Complaining that mobility took a hit but upset the timer is gone and claiming you can't get your Titan.

That's fucking weird considering the reality of being good at Titanfall meant you had to be really mobile, and the mobile players never had a problem calling in a Titan, ever. And good players in Titanfall were crushing the (supposedly easier) tech test.

It is and it wasn't until i added an extra paddle to the back of my elite mapped to slide that the game reallly started to open up for me.

That's why i question the validity of some of these complaints. They're really contradictory and don't line up well with reality.

Example: Complaining that mobility took a hit but upset the timer is gone and claiming you can't get your Titan.

That's fucking weird considering the reality of being good at Titanfall meant you had to be really mobile, and the mobile players never had a problem calling in a Titan, ever. And good players in Titanfall were crushing the (supposedly easier) tech test.

It wasn't a matter of good players getting titans, it's that a lot of player who were not good did not earn more than one titan in a match and therefore the field did not fill with titans in the same way as the first game

More TF1 gifs because reasons:
EcusNfS.gif

MIlhmjA.gif

9JyyiO2.gif

Fn43fwK.gif

(also video: https://youtu.be/g-0lrVRa5dw)

SwolBro

Banned
It wasn't a matter of good players getting titans, it's that a lot of player who were not good did not earn more than one titan in a match and therefore the field did not fill with titans in the same way as the first game

And i can agree with those players complaining, but i'm talking the ones that don't make much sense.

You can't complain about a timer, and then complain that the game is less mobile because chances are you're not mobile anyway, and never were, even in the original. You following?

And i can agree with those players complaining, but i'm talking the ones that don't make much sense.

You can't complain about a timer, and then complain that the game is less mobile because chances are you're not mobile anyway, and never were, even in the original. You following?

...Are you making an assumption about other people's play style to prove your point?

antitrop

On console it's not. There's not many players that play like that. I don't know what reality you're in.

Doing the actual wallrunning is the easy part. It's the aiming while doing so that is less doable on a controller.

The GIFs were just meant to highlight the level design of the original maps and how conducive they are to good parkour runs.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Nah. You can be super mobile and still have a shitty game and not get a Titan now. That shouldn't happen.

The elitist arguement is always a silly one.

SwolBro

Banned
Nah. You can be super mobile and still have a shitty game and not get a Titan now. That shouldn't happen.

The elitist arguement is always a silly one.

It's an elitist argument to conclude that if you have a deep knowledge and understanding of the games mechanics and are able to execute that then you shouldn't have trouble calling in a Titan considering the titan call down is based on shooting bots and other players that as a whole do not use the mechanics very well?

I mean, really?

Nokterian

Doing the actual wallrunning is the easy part. It's the aiming while doing so that is less doable on a controller.

The GIFs were just meant to highlight the level design of the original maps and how conducive they are to good parkour runs.

Map design is so good in the first one lots of traversal and with TF2 it is completely gone you get some 'spots' where you can go but it isn't enough because you are now 90% running on the ground makes me feel more CoD than Titanfall.

Walpurgis

Banned

I haven't played the first game or CoD and I did not like Titanfall 2. I was hyped to play but the demo was really disappointing.

Did people really find it this damn difficult to get a Titan?

I got one almost every single game I played, sometimes twice, and I would hardly call myself good at FPS games.....

Serious question here.
I can only speak for Bounty Hunter mode, but if you play the objective then you'll get your Titans fairly easily. I posted this footage earlier, showing that even as a pretty clearly mediocre player I was able to get 3 Titans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD5qRDGXEpE

The issue is that most players don't seem to understand how Bounty Hunter works, because the game doesn't even attempt to properly explain it. I only understood it properly after playing it for a few hours, but if a player comes in, doesn't understand the mode, and doesn't get a Titan as a result, they seem to just quit and never come back.

FWIW, that describes me, and I've really enjoyed it.

Nocturno999

Game needs to be in the oven for a few more months.

It's already a bad idea to be put against the overhyped shooters of the season.

I really wouldn't be interested to see, because in the end it doesn't matter whether you have 10 hours or 10000. I care no more or less. So these "top players" can like it all they want. But if the 100 top players love this, and the other bajillion don't....doesn't really add up as being good for Respawn.

The issue is that most players don't seem to understand how Bounty Hunter works, because the game doesn't even attempt to properly explain it. I only understood it properly after playing it for a few hours, but if a player comes in, doesn't understand the mode, and doesn't get a Titan as a result, they seem to just quit and never come back.

I found Bounty Hunt to be simple to the point of feeling routine after only a few matches. Nearly every match plays out the same way with the same lulls, and rarely did I ever see any dynamic play or comebacks. In fact, most of my matches were blowouts one way or the other as the clock ticked down to an inevitable result. I really don't think it's a good mode as it's currently designed, and there's so much more they could do with it to encourage movement, action, and forcing pilots, titans, and AI to clash.

Ont

This game is Tribes Vengeance level downgrade. Tribes Vengeance was another game that added a single player story to a popular multiplayer franchise which backfired as the multiplayer portion of the game was half-baked.

That game was also released during the time when the games like HL2 and WoW came out. I can see the same mistakes happening here.

Joyful

This game is Tribes Vengeance level downgrade. Tribes Vengeance was another game that added a single player story to a popular multiplayer franchise which backfired as the multiplayer portion of the game was half-baked.

That game was also released during the time when the games like HL2 and WoW came out. I can see the same mistakes happening here.

tribes vengeance also added a grappling hook hmm
nah i think tf2 will be great

Based on an educated guess from close to 3000 hours in this game since launch.

I've only got 850 hours on PC, but not a single person I know in the still-lingering PC crowd likes TF2 (as much as TF1).

Still eager to try it on PC, as I don't play TF1 on my Xbox, but I don't have the highest hopes at the moment.

I couldn't believe how boring it got after 2 matches of that new bounty mode. I had no idea what the fuck was going on there.

They are out of their minds if they don't bring the classic attrition mode with AI bots.

Top Bottom