• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

I couldn't believe how boring it got after 2 matches of that new bounty mode. I had no idea what the fuck was going on there.

They are out of their minds if they don't bring the classic attrition mode with AI bots.

They sound like they're the same concept except in bounty hunt you have waves of AI and you have to deposit the cash you earn for it to count. This sounds like just a literally better attrition mode, at least to me.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I couldn't believe how boring it got after 2 matches of that new bounty mode. I had no idea what the fuck was going on there.

They are out of their minds if they don't bring the classic attrition mode with AI bots.

Attrition is so garbage in TF. I had no idea so many people would miss it, all I played was Hardpoint and LTS.

TF2 still feels like the first to me, just a bit slower. That is something they can change fairly easily though. I honestly dont get all the hate, as someone who adored TF1.

They sound like they're the same concept except in bounty hunt you have waves of AI and you have to deposit the cash you earn for it to count. This sounds like just a literally better attrition mode, at least to me.

I don't know, could be the new maps layout, but it felt nothing like the frantic action packed gameplay of the first game. Did you play the game this last weekend?

Oh, and another thing that really bothered me is that the Titans feel weak and underwhelming as fuck now.

Jigorath

Banned
Let's hope so.

In the meanwhile we can continue basking in the glory that is Titanfall 1.

n06XoGO.gif

YJAJBNB.gif

WIG6QPw.gif

tZjCpwR.gif

If nothing else, this whole Titanfall 2 fiasco is making me want to go back and play the brilliant first game game again.

I don't know, could be the new maps layout, but it felt nothing like the frantic action packed gameplay of the first game. Did you play the game this last weekend?

Oh, and another thing that really bothered me is that the Titans feel weak and underwhelming as fuck now.

I haven't gotten a chance to play it yet. But the modes seem so close to the point that it may not even matter if there is attrition or not, because bounty hunt seems to be attrition mode with a twist. And it sounds like a good twist.

My main problem with attrition is that it's just mindless tdm against bots and players. With the whole deposit mechanic, that means you have to risk yourself to deposit the cash you've earned. I don't know how it works entirely, but mixing in a strategic element into a rather straight forward mode appeals to me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

It's not really similar at all. The Bounty Hunt matches end up very similar and I found there to be plenty of issues with the way everything spawns. The AI titans and waves of grunts come in on different sides of the map which led to lulls in any action while teams stuck together to wipe out the objective near them. These objectives also spawn right next to the banks on the map, which also are far away on other sides of the map which leads to more lulls(or camping if you're there already). Everything feels predictable in a bad way, and most matches were pretty snowbally so close matches felt rare, most matches had a snowball effect as one team started getting a large titan advantage and then used their cores to basically instantly take out fresh enemy titans before they could do anything.

Amped Hardpoint on the other hand was fundamentally flawed with the way it handles scoring. Didn't try Pilot Hunt much since that's not what I'm playing Titanfall for. I don't think the present modes were doing the game many favors, and even if Attrition is a pretty mindless mode that's always the type of mode you stick out there first since it has the largest mass appeal.

It's not really similar at all. The Bounty Hunt matches end up very similar and I found there to be plenty of issues with the way everything spawns. The AI titans and waves of grunts come in on different sides of the map which led to lulls in any action while teams stuck together to wipe out the objective near them. These objectives also spawn right next to the banks on the map, which also are far away on other sides of the map which leads to more lulls(or camping if you're there already). Everything feels predictable in a bad way, and most matches were pretty snowbally so close matches felt rare, most matches had a snowball effect as one team started getting a large titan advantage and then used their cores to basically instantly take out fresh enemy titans before they could do anything.

Amped Hardpoint on the other hand was fundamentally flawed with the way it handles scoring. Didn't try Pilot Hunt much since that's not what I'm playing Titanfall for.

Some of these issues existed in tf1, like titan snowballing. If the enemy team got 3-4 titans up it was very difficult to make a comeback as they'll dominate large parts of the map and gangbang any single titan that is called in quickly. You basically have to take down a titan or two before calling in, or calling in with your teammates to have a fighting chance.

AI titans sounds a little weird to have though. It still really does sound like essentially the same mode with a few differences. I'll have to see for myself but I'll probably be waiting quite a while before that happens.

and even if Attrition is a pretty mindless mode that's always the type of mode you stick out there first since it has the largest mass appeal.

I disagree with you here big time. I think overwatch has proven you don't need TDM in a mass marketed FPS title.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Amped hardpoint isnt near as bad as people say. Modes like that used to be jumping from point to point, they made you actually worry about defense.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Some of these issues existed in tf1, like titan snowballing. If the enemy team got 3-4 titans up it was very difficult to make a comeback as they'll dominate large parts of the map and gangbang any single titan that is called in quickly. You basically have to take down a titan or two before calling in, or calling in with your teammates to have a fighting chance.

AI titans sounds a little weird to have though. It still really does sound like essentially the same mode with a few differences. I'll have to see for myself but I'll probably be waiting quite a while before that happens.

I feel like the changes to titan timers are harsher on new players, I was able to get titans very quickly and get multiple through the match while others would get 1-2 since they didn't know what to properly focus on so it might have made it stand out more. The cores are also now are more akin to a super move, like the Ion chest laser is just a very damaging attack which is really easy to use once a titan is getting ready, and you also unlock the abilitiy to use titan smoke by filling part of that core bar which makes it harder to rodeo(and the rodeo battery mechanic can already backfire hard now).

I also liked the idea of the bank system but I feel like it would have been more intense either via a random location or a central spot that encourages actual engagement.

I disagree with you here big time. I think overwatch has proven you don't need TDM in a mass marketed FPS title.

Overwatch is actually pretty damn friendly to newer players though. It's not hard to grasp the mechanics and stuff like ultimates just charge up so you always feel like you're working towards something, I feel TF2 makes it a much harder affair for a newer player in comparison.

Alx

I also liked the idea of the bank system but I feel like it would have been more intense either via a random location or a central spot that encourages actual engagement.

I like the bank idea too, but maybe there's no need to have it separated from the waves. Keep the grunts/titans coming continuously, and let the players decide whether they want to cash in or keep shooting stuff. (so in short, just add banks to Attrition, with "special foes" as objectives if you want)
The main weakness of the bank is that it can easily be abused by opponents using them to ambush regular players, but I suppose that's part of the game.

It's not boring if people play sensibly. If on the split waves you just have one team on one AI spawn and the other team on the other they are *both* messing up. Sending one or two guys to slow the other team and steal their AI kills is an automatic win if you are left unchallenged on the other objective.

Also people seem to be fundamentally not understanding how it works. Which isn't surprising as it's busy, hectic, and there's no tutorial. The thing you bank is a bonus. You also outright get cash for AI kills, and it seems like for the big AI titans you get cash on a damage basis along with the bonus. So you kill say 10 grunts, your bonus goes up to 100, and you have to bank that or lose half of it to people who kill you, but you also made 100 that went straight to your team's score, and the other team can't take that away.

It's not boring if people play sensibly. If on the split waves you just have one team on one AI spawn and the other team on the other they are *both* messing up. Sending one or two guys to slow the other team and steal their AI kills is an automatic win if you are left unchallenged on the other objective.

Also people seem to be fundamentally not understanding how it works. Which isn't surprising as it's busy, hectic, and there's no tutorial. The thing you bank is a bonus. You also outright get cash for AI kills, and it seems like for the big AI titans you get cash on a damage basis along with the bonus. So you kill say 10 grunts, your bonus goes up to 100, and you have to bank that or lose half of it to people who kill you, but you also made 100 that went straight to your team's score, and the other team can't take that away.

It seems like they want to put emphasis on the pvp part of the mode with the bonus and having combat eventually make its way around the deposit spots. It seems very smart design to me. It still seems like attrition with a twist that forces more confrontation between players.

Dunno why people still complain about camping, when that sounds like it could be a legitimate strategy to stopping the enemy team from depositing their bonus. Playing smart and being aware always counters campers anyway.

This new mode could have a lot of depth to it, even playable competitively... perhaps.

This sound good but in practice people will always take the path of least resistance. Bounty Hunt matches are filled with dead air as players farm grunt drop pods to build their Titan meter before running back to the bank. Occasionally you'll get someone camping the banks, or a few people who go to the same bank, but the only real convergence is during the waves when the AI drop pods are in the middle of the maps.

Bounty Hunt is a cool concept, but there's a lot they could do to make it more exciting. Moving/random bank locations, more frequent AI drops across the entire map, maybe bring back team AI (instead of treating them like a 3rd faction) to make it really competitive.

just echoing what others have said, i was looking forward to titanfall 2 but after playing the apha for 2hrs i was not having fun. what were they thinking with these maps? in tf1 it was so much fun just to move about the maps, in tf2 it felt like a chore. plus with the wide open maps i was always being killed by some guy on a rooftop across the other side of the map, in tf1 if i was being shot at i could drive into a window or jump over a wall ect

Being shot best take cover!

I hope the maps they have for release are better but after looking at that video for the 3rd map for the test i have serious doubts. this game has gone from a buy to wait and see what happens, i hope respawn delay and make some changes i dont want to see it fail but its current state i feel it most definitely will.

Alienous

I used to skate around the maps all day on Xbox one, it wasn't that hard on a controller...

I imagine it's actually more comfortable with a controller. Less finger contortion needed.

I imagine with Titanfall 2 sprinting, sliding, jumping and using the grappling hook will put quite a bit of strain on the hands.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Did people really find it this damn difficult to get a Titan?

I got one almost every single game I played, sometimes twice, and I would hardly call myself good at FPS games.....

Serious question here.

I played 4 or 5 games of hardpoint and didn't get a single titan. Made me stop playing. I have play titanfall 1 since launch and put countless hours of gameplay. If I can't play as a titan why even play the game?

Did people really find it this damn difficult to get a Titan?

I got one almost every single game I played, sometimes twice, and I would hardly call myself good at FPS games.....

Serious question here.
I played an entire game of HP and I didn't see a single Titan anywhere.

I played 4 or 5 games of hardpoint and didn't get a single titan. Made me stop playing. I have play titanfall 1 since launch and put countless hours of gameplay. If I can't play as a titan why even play the game?

I played an entire game of HP and I didn't see a single Titan anywhere.

Crazy. Mind posting up your performance scores? I'm not the world's best TF player but i was consistently calling 2 down per game at a minimum. Sometimes upwards of 4.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Wow. Went back and played some Titanfall 1 PC.

So damned good.

The excitement and intensity of the battles with AI mixing it up everywhere

The Titanfall Counting down regardless of your match Performence.

The skyboxes filled with activity

The NPC communications

The first person Titan entering and melee finishers

Hacking spectres and turrets to fight with you

The movement and mobility

Etc
Etc
Etc.

God damn, haven't been so disappointed in so long.

Hey, we tried 2 maps lol. Very possible the better parkour maps are yet to come. Let's hope anyways.
But why start off with a bad first impression? Titanfall 1 had great maps for their beta. Put your best foot forward for the first thing you put out into the public to play.

Poster#1

Wow. Went back and played some Titanfall 1 PC.

So damned good.

The excitement and intensity of the battles with AI mixing it up everywhere

The Titanfall Counting down regardless of your match Performence.

The skyboxes filled with activity

The NPC communications

The first person Titan entering and melee finishers

The movement and mobility

Etc
Etc
Etc.

God damn, haven't been so disappointed in so long.

After the Tech Test I went back to TF1 to see the difference between the two. I ended up playing for two hours. Super fun game.

How many more people play it on XBL than PC? Cause I have it on PC but the population is super small.

You can find 5k playing on X1 at any given time

Yup, I'm selling this as soon as I get it through mail and make a profit. To hell with the snipers and rooftop camping. Keep that in your Infinity Ward CODs people.

Best wishes.

Crazy. Mind posting up your performance scores? I'm not the world's best TF player but i was consistently calling 2 down per game at a minimum. Sometimes upwards of 4.

I'm willing to bet these people who couldn't get a Titan tried the game prior to the fix. I was shocked on the first day and how i was failing to get one titan and then Respawn commented on how the Titan rate was screwed up on Hardpoint. Once they fixed it there were titans everywhere, definitely not hard to get.

This use of "killstreak" is so misleading and gaining more attention than it should. It's not accurate at all.

jet1911

Attrition is so garbage in TF. I had no idea so many people would miss it, all I played was Hardpoint and LTS.

TF2 still feels like the first to me, just a bit slower. That is something they can change fairly easily though. I honestly dont get all the hate, as someone who adored TF1.

Yeah man it's really surprising that the most popular mode in the first game would be missed from the sequel. Also LTS in TF2 will be baaaad with the changes they made to the Titan combat.

etta

my hard graphic balls
fuck, this negativity came out of nowhere for me (didn't follow the development of TF2 though)
Yea, what in the fuck happened :z. Zampella and the other guy, those geniuses made the best Call of Duty titles with Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 those geniuses.
I wonder if EA excersised some creative muscles mayhaps?

molnizzle

5- No titan timer: You get your Titan from a killstreak

6- Killstreak: WTF are you doing Respawn?

Wait, really? The #1 thing I loved about original TF was that anyone could get their titan after waiting, getting kills just sped it up. Killstreak is the only way now?

If you actually read through this thread and the tech test impressions thread. You would know a developer said hard point was an old version with way slower build times and that was already corrected for this weekends test.

CHC

On paper the worst part really sounds like Titans being linked to killstreaks.

Nothing balances the playing field like giving already-very-skilled players access to giant overpowered robots, right?

One solution: Heavily armored ( I mean HEAVILY)) anti titan turrets that take a while for Titans to destroy but the pilots using them are very vulnerable to other pilots.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm obviously in the minority but I fucking love this change.

Want to elaborate?

The whole game is called Titanfall, and was always half about fighting in your Titans.

Now only players with a certain skill level will get a Titan regularly.

That's terrible.

So, i guess, i'm the only one, but i loved TF1 and i love TF2.

Nope absolutely not. I and many other TF1 veterans love TF2 as well. I dont think there is any cause for concern. TF2 will likely do extremely well. This tech test build everyone played is from the beginning of summer and the way the game sits now is a good bit tweaked/different according to devs.

Attrition has AI throughout the entirety of the map. Players would move freely through the map and farming AI would draw them out in the open to create engagements between pilots on opposing teams. There wasn't any objective where someone could be certain to hide and find other players. You had to put yourself at risk and search out pilots to get kills.

Bounty hunt has spawn points. Players congregate around the spawn point and shoot the AI waiting for any pilots to show up. Other players hide around the banks to pick off players with cash. Most of the map goes unused for most of the game which is probably for the best considering how poorly designed they are.

Want to elaborate?

The whole game is called Titanfall, and was always half about fighting in your Titans.

That's terrible.

So why can't players practice to reach that skill level? Should we just not calculate points or hell who wins the map lets just have both teams win so lesser players also have fun.

When I first played cod4 on gamebattles I got destroyed by better players as i played more I got better. Player who want to excel at a game should practice and play the game. No one is amazing at a game out of the gate.

This is a video game not athletics anyways can get good if they practice and play the game.

CowntChocula

Neo Member
I am looking forward to another weekend with the game as well as an additional map. I was in the "I hate these changes" camp for the first few hours I played because like most of you, I LOVED the original and this just felt a little bit different. I stuck with the tech test and I would say it had a pretty large curve to get used to the changes but I actually started to love the game more and more as I kept playing. I grinded my way to unlock cloak (was my main perk in the first) and I started to really learn the new mechanics and started to appreciate some of the changes. I found myself playing smarter and eventually back to the point where I was getting some 20-30 kills per round and leading the team in bounties. I learned how to use my titan better, how to move around the maps quick, how to utilize batteries, and generally how to use the games mechanics to outsmart and outplay my enemies. That was definitely NOT the case over the first few hours as I struggled at times to even stay at .500 with my kills and deaths which had me wanting to throw my controller at times.

To those irritated with the changes, I would say just give it more time (I say my individual curve took me about 10-12 hours). I am now back on the super hype train and I was loving the game by the end of the first weekend and having so much fun. Also keep in mind I am anticipating more weapons, more attachments, more perks, more titans, and more maps. This is just a small sample and when the full game opens up, you won't be stuck with the few options they give you in tech test and you will be able to find the combination that fits your playstyle (ala myself with using cloak).

Also, one last note. It has been mentioned a few times but changing the aim settings from "Default" to "Classic" helped immensely to give me that Titanfall 1 feel and control over my pilot.

Hope this helps someone who is reading all the negativity that there are some out there who had a good experience when getting over the learning curve.

Want to elaborate?

That's terrible.

All you really have to do is be active, play the objective, help out your teammates and or farm AI. Everyone saying that some people will never call in Titans must have not played the tech test for too long.

I was AFK a few times from more thatn 50% of the game (AFK kicking not in effect currently) and was able to easily score a titan with capping an objective or two or going after some AI. Basically if you're moving around and somewhat playing the game you're pretty much still guaranteed your Titan. It's just not like TF1 where everyone basically get's the damn thing at the same time and all of a sudden the map is full of Titans. This new system actually spreads out the Titans during the match much much better. Most games that one side isn't dominating the other you'll have 2-4 Titans out at a time pretty much constantly. If one side is destroying... well that always changes then regardless if you've been given a "free" Titan.

SwolBro

Banned
I really wouldn't be interested to see, because in the end it doesn't matter whether you have 10 hours or 10000. I care no more or less. So these "top players" can like it all they want. But if the 100 top players love this, and the other bajillion don't....doesn't really add up as being good for Respawn.
So, kind of like how the original was perceived then? lol

We're on a bandwagon now. You see, all of a sudden everyone loves Attrition, they love shooting bots, etc. But do a quick search here and go back to the original Titanfall launch and you'll see this whole movement of "wow it's only 6v6 and you have to shoot fucking bots, this game sucks"

Now we have "it's not attrition, there's no bots to shoot, this game fucking sucks" lol
despite only playing 3 modes and 2 maps out of an entire game. Plus, despite devs acknowledging problems with the Titan drop time, the wall run stickiness, and an announcement that changes will be made and to stay tuned we are still going in circles posting gifs from the glory days when only a small fraction of the community utilized the parkouring and bunnyhops.

Marvel at the irony.

I am looking forward to another weekend with the game as well as an additional map. I was in the "I hate these changes" camp for the first few hours I played because like most of you, I LOVED the original and this just felt a little bit different. I stuck with the tech test and I would say it had a pretty large curve to get used to the changes but I actually started to love the game more and more as I kept playing. I grinded my way to unlock cloak (was my main perk in the first) and I started to really learn the new mechanics and started to appreciate some of the changes. I found myself playing smarter and eventually back to the point where I was getting some 20-30 kills per round and leading the team in bounties. I learned how to use my titan better, how to move around the maps quick, how to utilize batteries, and generally how to use the games mechanics to outsmart and outplay my enemies. That was definitely NOT the case over the first few hours as I struggled at times to even stay at .500 with my kills and deaths which had me wanting to throw my controller at times.

To those irritated with the changes, I would say just give it more time (I say my individual curve took me about 10-12 hours). I am now back on the super hype train and I was loving the game by the end of the first weekend and having so much fun. Also keep in mind I am anticipating more weapons, more attachments, more perks, more titans, and more maps. This is just a small sample and when the full game opens up, you won't be stuck with the few options they give you in tech test and you will be able to find the combination that fits your playstyle (ala myself with using cloak).

Also, one last note. It has been mentioned a few times but changing the aim settings from "Default" to "Classic" helped immensely to give me that Titanfall 1 feel and control over my pilot.

Hope this helps someone who is reading all the negativity that there are some out there who had a good experience when getting over the learning curve.

This pretty much sums up my experience exactly! At first (hours 0-3ish) i was totally of the mindset that TF1 was where i wanted to go back to. After about10-15 hours with the tech test over the weekend i'm completely sold and honestly prefer TF2 over TF1 in many (but not all) areas.

All you really have to do is be active, play the objective, help out your teammates and or farm AI. Everyone saying that some people will never call in Titans must have not played the tech test for too long.

I was AFK a few times from more thatn 50% of the game (AFK kicking not in effect currently) and was able to easily score a titan with capping an objective or two or going after some AI. Basically if you're moving around and somewhat playing the game you're pretty much still guaranteed your Titan. It's just not like TF1 where everyone basically get's the damn thing at the same time and all of a sudden the map is full of Titans. This new system actually spreads out the Titans during the match much much better. Most games that one side isn't dominating the other you'll have 2-4 Titans out at a time pretty much constantly. If one side is destroying... well that always changes then regardless if you've been given a "free" Titan.

I feel the same way people crying they can't get Titans simply aren't playing the game correctly. I got like 5 or 6 Titans in a single game. I like the new system because it forces players to try and stay active and contribute to the team.

Top Bottom