• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

I feel the same way people crying they can't get Titans simply aren't playing the game correctly. I got like 5 or 6 Titans in a single game. I like the new system because it forces players to try and stay active and contribute to the team.

Yeah I prefer it as well. It's still a guaranteed Titan in my book. Hell, if you play the same as you did, at the same level as you did in TF1 you're getting your Titan SOONER in TF2. But yes... if you sit in a corner and dont cap, dont kill, dont play any sort of objective... you're not getting a Titan. Though to be honest... in game-world fiction your player should likely be locked up for deserting playing like that lol.

SwolBro

Banned
This pretty much sums up my experience exactly! At first (hours 0-3ish) i was totally of the mindset that TF1 was where i wanted to go back to. After about10-15 hours with the tech test over the weekend i'm completely sold and honestly prefer TF2 over TF1 in many (but not all) areas.
see, you're too dedicated. you loved the first game and you were going to give this one it's due diligence. People aren't going to do that.

Most people are going to pick it up, and if the mechanics don't click right away, if they start getting crushed by good players, they'll stop playing, and then they'll come to the internet to be told if the game is good or not.

Want to elaborate?

The whole game is called Titanfall, and was always half about fighting in your Titans.

Now only players with a certain skill level will get a Titan regularly.

That's terrible.

Certain skill level? Do you have hands? Because that's really all you need to acquire a Titan.

rackham

Banned
Why are you quick to say things like "only 1% of people parkoured in titanfall 1" ?

Honestly who are you trying to convince of that. I have 250 hours in titanfall 1 (sorry if it's not 10k like you probably have) and I just find what you're saying to be wrong.

I spent like 5% of my time in Titanfall in my Titan. I just want the pilot gameplay back, so I'm not forced to get in a Titan in these open maps. I like having my Titan run around with me and protect me as I wreck people.

CowntChocula

Neo Member
see, you're too dedicated. you loved the first game and you were going to give this one it's due diligence. People aren't going to do that.

Most people are going to pick it up, and if the mechanics don't click right away, if they start getting crushed by good players, they'll stop playing, and then they'll come to the internet to be told if the game is good or not.

I would agree with that too. My hope though is that on the full release, you're not playing 2 maps over and over and over again as well as you will have way more options to customize to your playstyle. You're so limited in the tech test with what is available to you and my assumption is that there will be some additional combination of weapons/attachments and even with the 4 other titan classes that you will have that flexibility earlier in the process to find the mechanics that fit how you like to play.

True. But then again come few weeks post launch I have a feeling the vocal minority will have either grown to enjoy the game or moved on to one of the other shooters being released in that window. All in all TF2 will likely have a very large population. These doom and gloom prophets will go away.

SwolBro

Banned
Why are you quick to say things like "only 1% of people parkoured in titanfall 1" ?

Honestly who are you trying to convince of that. I have 250 hours in titanfall 1 (sorry if it's not 10k like you probably have) and I just find what you're saying to be wrong.
I'm more than willing to hop into some attrition matches today with anyone else that thinks i'm wrong. Lets go observe the population out in the wild, shall we?

What's even more funny and ironic is that in the end Respawn (knowingly or not) just gave every single player an opportunity to bunnyhop(slidehop) easier than you could in the first game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhysHHKxFQ You may be able to question me on the parkour, but you definitely can't argue with me that most of the population below the very best actually bunnyhopped in this game. Now everyone can practically pull this off.

With the upcoming (i'm going to guess here) changes to the wall runs to maintain the same speed you did in the first game there's going to be no more complaints about speed because movement wise, the game will now be as fast or even faster than the original.

CowntChocula

Neo Member
True. But then again come few weeks post launch I have a feeling the vocal minority will have either grown to enjoy the game or moved on to one of the other shooters being released in that window. All in all TF2 will likely have a very large population. These doom and gloom prophets will go away.

That is my hope too. I really enjoyed what the new game has to offer and I can't wait to see the new titan classes as well as play a normal rotation of maps. I can't wait to have some discussions with people who enjoy the game opposed to just the constant bashing.

Don't worry about arguing the 1% with him. Already tried. Gave up. He's nuts.

I'm more than willing to hop into some attrition matches today with anyone else that thinks i'm wrong. Lets go observe the population out in the wild, shall we?

What's even more funny and ironic is that in the end Respawn (knowingly or not) just gave every single player an opportunity to bunnyhop(slidehop) easier than you could in the first game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFhysHHKxFQ You may be able to question me on the parkour, but you definitely can't argue with me that most of the population below the very best actually bunnyhopped in this game. Now everyone can practically pull this off.

Yup... this is what i've been talking about and using to get from one side of the map to the middle objective spawn in an instant before anyone. It's SUPER easy. Hell, even easier than the sprint/melee boos in No Mans Lie lol.

That is my hope too. I really enjoyed what the new game has to offer and I can't wait to see the new titan classes as well as play a normal rotation of maps. I can't wait to have some discussions with people who enjoy the game opposed to just the constant bashing.

You and me both. For this upcoming weekend's tech test #2 someone needs to start a appreciation / group up thread and we can keep the criticism, impressions and suggestions to this thread.

Yup... this is what i've been talking about and using to get from one side of the map to the middle objective spawn in an instant before anyone. It's SUPER easy. Hell, even easier than the sprint/melee boos in No Mans Lie lol.

Sucks that this is what Titanfall is going to be. A glitchy exploit to slowly bounce along the ground instead of flying along walls and shooting across ziplines.

Yes keep saying this, the players just don't get it, if they don't like it they must be wrong and sheeple

Sucks that this is what Titanfall is going to be. A glitchy exploit to slowly bounce along the ground instead of flying along walls and shooting across ziplines.

It's really not any different than TF1 and it's honestly not that bad. When you're in gunfights you pretty much can't do it. And while it's not difficult to do when you learn... it's not so easy to set up lines that everyone will be chaining constantly flying cross map pathways. We'll always have people perched on top of roofs and sprinting down the middle of streets.

SwolBro

Banned
Huh? But bunnyhop was in some ways an exploit that allowed you to keep and even gain momentum indefinitely. We're not talking about zip lines and parkouring. And they already commented on the speed reduction on wall runs so that's probably going to get adjusted.

Yes keep saying this, the players just don't get it, if they don't like it they must be wrong and sheeple
Most players don't get it though. There are people that do, and that have legitimate concerns with well informed opinions. Sadly, that's not everybody. Just look above. And below. How can anyone make a solid decision in 3 games? How can you even know how to play or know what the game has to offer in 3 freaking matches?

RedFury

This pretty much sums up my experience exactly! At first (hours 0-3ish) i was totally of the mindset that TF1 was where i wanted to go back to. After about10-15 hours with the tech test over the weekend i'm completely sold and honestly prefer TF2 over TF1 in many (but not all) areas.
This is where I'm at. Give me TF1 acceleration (metrics show the speed is the same as TF1 but accelerations are not), tweek stim pack, and titan timers and regen shields with cores (so I can get more hot and steamy mech on mecha action. Not enough people get a titan to drop, I want more fodder for MY titan.) And this game is almost perfect for me. I'm sure if attrition isn't in it WILL be in the future because of popular demand I'm sure of it. Game modes and maps I'm not to worried about, we've only seen 2/3 of each. If we do get our speed boost snipers/dmrs either need to go hit scan or faster projectile speed because an increase in overall player speed is an indirect nerd to them.

I enjoyed nearly all the modes in Titanfall 1 but removing attrition which is like a casual play for fun and do a lot of cool shit mode, is silly.

Attrition had lots of AI, it has 6 v 6, it had plenty of titans, it had maps with hacking turrets and spectre armies, it played on every single map the game had without an issue, there was no focused point of the map you had to be at to enjoy it, it was FUN.

NJD316

Neo Member
For me, switching Titans to a scorestreak is flawed not because of how easy/hard they are to get now, but it betrays the whole philosophy of the game IMO.

Titans on scorestreaks basically says to the player: you don't need this. It's something you can work towards, but you don't need it.

Whereas TF1 was more like: GET READY FOR TITANFALL YO

CowntChocula

Neo Member
Does anyone think there is a chance they open the tech test up early again like last weekend? Or was that just because Gamescom was going on and the servers were up anyways.

Jinaar

It looks to me that Respawn needs a Pre-Mortem before the game releases instead of a Post-Mortem after it releases with all these changes.

What is becoming more apparent is that the small vocal minority of people that didn't appreciate TF1 had their voices heard and everyone that loved TF1 didn't voice their pleasure loud enough over the years, and now we are here. In the shit of it.

Hope Respawn is having some board meetings this week going over the feedback.

It's really not any different than TF1 and it's honestly not that bad.

I disagree. I cannot play Titanfall 2 the way I play Titanfall. It's a massive disappointment that the sequel to my favorite multiplayer game of the past decade doesn't play anything like its predecessor, and what they've replaced it with can be described as somewhat functional if you use an exploit.

Alienous

For me, switching Titans to a scorestreak is flawed not because of how easy/hard they are to get now, but it betrays the whole philosophy of the game IMO.

Titans on scorestreaks basically says to the player: you don't need this. It's something you can work towards, but you don't need it.

This is a good point.

The classic system was much more 'ready or not' with its Titans.

Now it's something you have to more actively pursue, and it does make the Tiitans seem inessential. Less like a part of the gameplay loop and more like a tangential power up. And other changes reinforce this, such as now having to choose between a sidearm or a anti-Titan weapon instead of having both.

Bizazedo

I can't wait to read the comments from Respawn when they finally start talking, for better or worse.

On the bright side, this made me dig out my TF1 disc.

SwolBro

Banned
I disagree. I cannot play Titanfall 2 the way I play Titanfall. It's a massive disappointment that the sequel to my favorite multiplayer game of the past decade doesn't play anything like its predecessor, and what they've replaced it with can be described as somewhat functional if you use an exploit.

Dude, what are you talking about???

Dunlop

This, the new method really ruined it for me. I loved TF1

My son liked it, but he plays COD religiously with his friends

I was so excited for this game and thrilled that I was able to pre-order at amazon for $50 (canadian) but I think I am going to see what changes are made before the game launches to decide whether to cancel it or not

SwolBro

Banned
I don't see how limiting a fundamental part of the gameplay experience is a good change.

To each their own, though.

The irony is that the timer promoted camping more than not having a timer does. It's such a weird thing to see people argue for it. In intense matches of pilot hunter, and even attrition, lots of people would choose not to come out of buildings and wait for their Titans.

I'm confused. Bunnyhopping / slidejumping is pretty similar in use. I will certainly acknowledge that the maps we've seen so far from TF2 have been much more open and their wall-running mechanics are different. That all said you can still traverse the maps entirely at speed and with only touching the ground for quick slides and hops.

Maloney

I know this is a bit off topic, but I have just bought an Xbox One and was planning on getting Titanfall 2 and, as Titanfall 1 is only about £5 at the moment,i was going to pick it up cheap.

My question is, is it worth it for a fiver? I understand there is no campaign, is multiplayer dead now? Will it taint my Titanfall 2 experience?

I know this is a bit off topic, but I have just bought an Xbox One and was planning on getting Titanfall 2 and, as Titanfall 1 is only about £5 at the moment,i was going to pick it up cheap.

My question is, is it worth it for a fiver? I understand there is no campaign, is multiplayer dead now? Will it taint my Titanfall 2 experience?

For 5?! Abso-fucking-lutely! I dont think you could spend 5 better in the current market of videogames. The population is well enough now with TF2 looming ahead and youll find games no problem.

cheaper then a rental and you get to keep it and all of it's dlc, there's thousands of people still playing and right now is the best time to jump in because everyone is going back to the original after trying the test for titanfall 2.

you'll easily get your moneys worth even if you only played it today.

mocoworm

So ... what are everyone's thoughts on Titanfall 1 still going strong for a while? I am thinking that not as many ppl will jump to 2 as quickly as previously thought OR will return to 1 much sooner.

Alienous

The irony is that the timer promoted camping more than not having a timer does. It's such a weird thing to see people argue for it. In intense matches of pilot hunter, and even attrition, lots of people would choose not to come out of buildings and wait for their Titans.

The timer promoted camping? How so?

They rewarded you with time-off your Titan build for every action you took. If you were ever going to camp for a titan it would be when there were <10 seconds on the clock.

The system in Titanfall 2 seems to equally reward and penalize risky play. If you get multiple kills in quick succession you quickly gain progress on your Titan. If you die after getting a kill the progress from that kill is lost. So it doesn't encourage slow-play, as some progress towards titanfall reduces over time, but you're probably better off maintaining a position and getting kills that taking the risk of death and losing progress.

It's now more heavily skewed towards skilled play, with the rich getting richer much faster than other players. And I don't think that benefits the gameplay of Titanfall.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

I genuinely never found that to be the case, from my own experience that is. You'd see people running about all over the place killing AI here, there and everywhere as they were trying to get their timer to go down as quick as possible, it helps that the AI is eveeeeerywhere. Hell I was seeing that last night playing some Attrition on PC. If there was camping it was never as pronounced or at least only a few people at most. Compared to say Bounty Hunter and a lot of the camping that goes on at the AI spawn points (since they only spawn at essentially 2 points on the map)

E92 M3

If anything, this game is a lot more campy now. Did you notice how the timer can degrade in TF2? It's designed for good players to just get richer, while the lower skilled players are picked off.

Titanfall 1 promoted movement.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So just watched a level cap video, he said Respawn has already replied and they said they are reimplementing the Titan timer..

Anyone have a link to this?

It's a start if so. (brink back grunts and spectres and we are getting somewhere)

SwolBro

Banned
It's now more heavily skewed towards skilled play, with the rich getting richer much faster than other players. And I don't think that benefits the gameplay of Titanfall.
And that's an argument that can be made. I'm sure in the end they'll bring it back but this idea that the timer didn't promote camping is horribly flawed.

If anything, this game is a lot more campy now. Did you notice how the timer can degrade in TF2? It's designed for good players to just get richer, while the lower skilled players are picked off.

Titanfall 1 promoted movement.
The campiness we saw in this tech test had a lot to do with the spawns in those maps, not the actual meter. It was too easy to spawn trap.

E92 M3

And that's an argument that can be made. I'm sure in the end they'll bring it back but this idea that the timer didn't promote camping is horribly flawed.

The campiness we saw in this tech test had a lot to do with the spawns in those maps, not the actual meter. It was too easy to spawn trap.

Map design is another issue, but we'll see how the launch product is.

This. TF1 was filled with a large number of players who would fight and hide indoors only until they got their titan timer down. Was really fucking annoying.

SwolBro

Banned
Map design is another issue, but we'll see how the launch product is.

Already hearing whispers of major changes such as
  • Wall run speed now being consistent
  • First person animations returning
  • Possibility of a version of the timer meter
Again, whispers, which means they're discussing it at length =D

Top Bottom