• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 is depressingly disappointing....

Alienous

This. TF1 was filled with a large number of players who would fight and hide indoors only until they got their titan timer down. Was really fucking annoying.

I don't think I've ever seen this trend in my time playing Titanfall 1. There was too much outside of buildings that would decrease your timer faster without any real risk - no reason to camp, unless you were mere seconds away from titanfall.

SwolBro

Banned
I don't think I've ever seen this trend in my time playing Titanfall 1. The was too much outside of buildings that would decrease your timer faster without any real risk.

I feel like we're in two different worlds, honestly. There are stretches in attrition (even on maps like boneyard) where you don't see anyone outside in the open. At all. You look around ,no one is fucking there. In a 6v6! Then boom titans start to drop and shit goes back to being chaotic. The timer was a shit idea, and it's mind boggling people are complaining about it being (currently) gone.

Again, it's a weird thing to see coming from someone playing the game consistently since launch. Are you sure you're just not nostalgic right now?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Already hearing whispers of major changes such as
  • Wall run speed now being consistent
  • First person animations returning
  • Possibility of a version of the timer meter
Again, whispers, which means they're discussing it at length =D

If they make these changes, and add back in AI grunts and Specters, I will be back on the hype train.

I don't think I've ever seen this trend in my time playing Titanfall 1. There was too much outside of buildings that would decrease your timer faster without any real risk - no reason to camp, unless you were mere seconds away from titanfall.

Hmm might have just been me and my group of players/team. I personally noticed people sticking to the buildings until they got their titans in just about every single game of TF1 i played. Not to say it was 100% occurrence but it was by and large a common trend. People would always gather inside/around the structures to remain as safe/hidden as possible until they got their titans. Unless they say the opportunity to take out an unsuspecting pilot or titan. Otherwise it was keep around cover and farm AI until their timer fell to 0. (this is Attrition of course)

Alienous

{...}

Again, it's a weird thing to see coming from someone playing the game consistently since launch. Are you sure you're just not nostalgic right now?

I don't think so. I only just played it most recently a few days ago, but I have played it plenty before then, and there was no sense of camping-like behaviour. People would be indoors at times, sure, but because unlike Titanfall 2 the first game had plenty of indoors areas. I just didn't find people waiting for enemies to come to them.

SwolBro

Banned
If they make these changes, and add back in AI grunts and Specters, I will be back on the hype train.
If i were a betting man i'd say

100% they'll change the wall run speed
75% they'll return first person animation

And it's 50-50 on the meter.

Hmm might have just been me and my group of players/team. I personally noticed people sticking to the buildings until they got their titans in just about every single game of TF1 i played. Not to say it was 100% occurrence but it was by and large a common trend. People would always gather inside/around the structures to remain as safe/hidden as possible until they got their titans. Unless they say the opportunity to take out an unsuspecting pilot or titan. Otherwise it was keep around cover and farm AI until their timer fell to 0. (this is Attrition of course)

It's not just you, if i remember correctly Respawn acknowledged this and they have the actual data. Probably why they made the change in the first place. And if anyone is curious, the subbredit for the most part despised Attrition, a long with the smart pistol. Attrition was shit on since launch, a long with the timer.

The consensus was that the major factors that contributed to the dwindling population of Titanfall were:
1. lack of content
2. not being multiplat
3. smart pistol
4. attrition

That was the major consensus on the subrredit.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
For me, switching Titans to a scorestreak is flawed not because of how easy/hard they are to get now, but it betrays the whole philosophy of the game IMO.

Titans on scorestreaks basically says to the player: you don't need this. It's something you can work towards, but you don't need it.

Whereas TF1 was more like: GET READY FOR TITANFALL YO

This is a good summary. The time before titans in the first game always felt like a warm up and everyone knew that in a couple of minutes it was going to kick off. Everyone got a titan, some people got them a little quicker, but after a few minutes everyone had the chance to use one and that was the point of the game. Now they just feel like an afterthought. There's way too many people just running around playing it like cod picking people off.

CrazE

Banned
Funny to read all the stuff about making the game the same as TF1 with just little added extras here and there.

That's all I wanted from COD yet the vocal minority kept yelling and screaming on the net that the game needed changes and to be different.

Ha ha ha... devs damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Can't wait for Friday. Get some more TF2 action! LOVE the grappling hook.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
If i was a betting man i'd say

It's not just you, if i remember correctly Respawn acknowledged this and they have the actual data. Probably why they made the change in the first place. And if anyone is curious, the subbredit for the most part despised Attrition, a long with the smart pistol. Attrition was shit on since launch, a long with the timer.

The consensus was that the major factors that contributed to the dwindling population of Titanfall was

1. lack of content
2. not being multiplat
3. smart pistol
4. attrition

The fuckin smart pistol, nightmare fuel. The bastard using that last night nearly made me rage lol.

wbarreda

We're on a bandwagon now. You see, all of a sudden everyone loves Attrition, they love shooting bots, etc. But do a quick search here and go back to the original Titanfall launch and you'll see this whole movement of "wow it's only 6v6 and you have to shoot fucking bots, this game sucks"

Now we have "it's not attrition, there's no bots to shoot, this game fucking sucks" lol
despite only playing 3 modes and 2 maps out of an entire game. Plus, despite devs acknowledging problems with the Titan drop time, the wall run stickiness, and an announcement that changes will be made and to stay tuned we are still going in circles posting gifs from the glory days when only a small fraction of the community utilized the parkouring and bunnyhops.

Marvel at the irony.

It is the same people that wanted attrition out now want back in? More likely it is the people that liked attrition, the most popular mode in the game, that want it in the game.

It should be easy to put that mode back in the game since they did all the work for bounty hunt.

I am more worried about the maps. These in the Tech Test weren't very good.

The consensus was that the major factors that contributed to the dwindling population of Titanfall were:
1. lack of content
2. not being multiplat
3. smart pistol
4. attrition

Ok that's what i thought.

Also agree with the consensus of TF1. IDK why everyone all of a sudden is in love with attrition when it received so much hate in TF1. I'm sure Respawn is scratching their head on that one too currently.

This is a good summary. The time before titans in the first game always felt like a warm up and everyone knew that in a couple of minutes it was going to kick off. Everyone got a titan, some people got them a little quicker, but after a few minutes everyone had the chance to use one and that was the point of the game. Now they just feel like an afterthought. There's way too many people just running around playing it like cod picking people off.

I went back to TF1 last night and was surprised when I got my Titan so early!

I felt the movement in TF1 last night was alot faster (as many have said) but also less "solid" than TF2. I actually like the handling of the character in TF2 a bit better. If they would increase wall running speed and speed generally I would call it an improvement.

I like the Titan changes generally. I'm loving Scorch (if that's what it's called) and the weaponry differences.

I like Bounty Hunter for a bit of fun and love pounding the AI with my Titan.

Overall it's fine but I don't see a massive improvement from TF1. Will buy on sale at the moment, not at launch. Open minded though.

SwolBro

Banned
The fuckin smart pistol, nightmare fuel. The bastard using that last night nearly made me rage lol.
Right? Do people forget how obnoxious the initial meta was (and even to some extent can be now) with the smart pistol? People hid in buildings, camped until you walked by and then locked on to you and then called in their titans because they quickly farmed 50 bots lol.

My initial experience with Titanfall was terrible for those first 2 weeks. I hated it but i spent money on the bundle so i played it and then once i migrated to CTF with a few others we never looked back.

They need a megaphone not whispers lol
They said they'll be making some announcements this week.

It is the same people that wanted attrition out now want back in? More likely it is the people that liked attrition, the most popular mode in the game, that want it in the game.
I'm sure it is that crowd. It's just that attrition was never a mode that showcased what Titanfall was capable of. That's why i find it weird that some people in here that talk about attrition also talk about movement and parkouring considering the difference between CTF play and Attrition play in terms of movement is night and day

it's a bit ironic.

Be careful, non TF vets with think you're being serious here.
You also said pilots "would literally wall hang until they got a titan". That's bullshit too. I've never seen it happen, nor is it even possible. You would get killed trying that. Either by grunts or pilots. Camping is nearly impossible in TF1.

You also said pilots "would literally wall hang until they got a titan". That's bullshit too. I've never seen it happen, nor is it even possible. You would get killed trying that. Either by grunts or pilots. Camping is nearly impossible in TF1.

Huh? I think you're confusing me with someone else lol. (either that or i REALLY didn't mean to type wallhang because that make no sense) Got a quote?

I believe i said people would stick to the buildings/structures/cover and farm AI in attrition to get their Titans as quickly as possible did i not? They'd spend most of their time inside/ontop/around buidings and were not parkouring around like "leet pros" like everyone wants to think. Sorry, but that was my experience at least.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Killstreaks?
Titans are earned as a killstreak?!
No AI instead of just making it better and more recognizable in the heat of battle?

These 3 are enough to pull me out... especially the first two. And that's without even taking into consideration the bad impressions surrounding the game (maps, bounty hunter mode, COD-like movement and so on) since I haven't tried the beta myself. Oh well, I will be playing the campaign when it hits EA Access in 2018 or something... too bad tho.

I
1. lack of content
2. not being multiplat
3. smart pistol
4. attrition

Constantly harping on the hate for attrition, when it was the most populated, popular, and still only mode that really gets any population playing.

The subredit bs you are spouting is the definition of silent majority that you keep complaining about. Attrition was and is still the most popular TF1 mode. On PC its pretty much only mode you can get a game in and has been for 6 months now

wbarreda

Right? Do people forget how obnoxious the initial meta was (and even to some extent can be now) with the smart pistol?

I'm sure it is that crowd. It's just that attrition was never a mode that showcased what Titanfall was capable of. That's why i find it weird that some people in here that talk about attrition also talk about movement and parkouring considering the difference between CTF play and Attrition play in terms of movement is night and day that's a bit ironic to me.

I remembered it was the shotgun people bitched about in the first couple of weeks. Don't think the smart pistol was really an annoyance until later on.

We will have to disagree about attrition as that mode is exactly what Titanfall is to me and probably some others as well. To take away the mode I played the most kind of stings .... I will wait until they announce their changes and more importantly see the other maps until I say TF2 is lost.

I remembered it was the shotgun people bitched about in the first couple of weeks. Don't think the smart pistol was really an annoyance until later on.

We will have to disagree about attrition as that mode is exactly what Titanfall is to me and probably some others as well. To take away the mode I played the most kind of stings .... I will wait until they announce their changes and more importantly see the other maps until I say TF2 is lost.
Yup. The shotgun was one of the most lethal weapons in the hands of a super skilled player who could parkour the map and end up above you/in your face out of nowhere and gun you down in instantly and be gone in a flash.

I do agree with the criticisms that have been stated throughout this thread but they are a bit blown out of proportion. The speed is slower yes but once you master either the grapple hook, understand map terrain, or use stim at the proper time, you can move quite fast.

Another complaint about the whole timer thing vs earn through kills/score thing I do not see much of a difference, maybe cause I try to do the objective, at least in Bounty Hunt so I get my Titan quite fast most times. Titans also seeming to be weaker is another subjective thing. There are times in TF1 where your Titan can get wrecked just as fast as this game and other times if you play smart or if the other team sucks you can stay in a Titan the whole game. Lastly about Titan rodeo and the battery gameplay, I kind of like this change it adds an extra dynamic to not only damaging a enemy Titan but being able to repair your Titan or a team mates is quite something. During this weekend I can count about 5 times where a team mate saved my Titan during a battle with another Titan giving me that extra health.

Final thought about lack of A.I. and no Attrition. This is only a beta I bet you Attrition is in the Final game, they just wanted to show new game types that is all.

The people who whine about attrition, really did so mainly because it took most of the playerbase, it was the most played and populated mode.

Some fans hated it just because of that, because they couldn't get into any other game mode a few months after launch. Want to play CTF? Sit at the matchmaking waiting forever, or get instantly in an attrition match? TF1 had a bunch of modes and added more, but the player base was all stuck playing attrition.

Whiney players complain about the mode all the time since whatever preferred mode they liked, was dead with the community.

It wasn't attrition's fault or anything wrong with the mode, attrition was simply the most popular game mode, and as evident by the many posts here, it was the favorite of many players.

MrNelson

Banned
I'm sure it is that crowd. It's just that attrition was never a mode that showcased what Titanfall was capable of. That's why i find it weird that some people in here that talk about attrition also talk about movement and parkouring considering the difference between CTF play and Attrition play in terms of movement is night and day

it's a bit ironic.

Or

The Titanfall community isn't some kind of hivemind and one group liked Attrition, and one group did not. I know I fall into the former, it's my most-played mode.

Same. I suppose you could just sit around not killing AI or anything in Attrition, but you'll lose every time. Bounty Hunt encourages that behavior and makes it a winning strategy.

SwolBro

Banned
Or

The Titanfall community isn't some kind of hivemind and one group liked Attrition, and one group did not. I know I fall into the former, it's my most-played mode.

Right, but people that loved Titanfall had to defend against the "you only shoot bots" "maps are too big" "it's COD with mechs and bots" "an auto-lock gun is the most popular gun in the game" complaints flung their way constantly. A lot of people attributed that to people only playing attrition and not trying anything else.

jet1911

Same. I suppose you could just sit around not killing AI or anything in Attrition, but you'll lose every time. Bounty Hunt encourages that behavior and makes it a winning strategy.

Yeah. You die so fast it's not worth the risk of running around when you have a bounty to deposit.

E92 M3

Oh wow, that would prove my faith in Respawn. First person animation and a timer for Titans is hype.

Would love to get shields back, but let's start with the basics haha.

DocSeuss

If i were a betting man i'd say

1. lack of content
2. not being multiplat
3. smart pistol
4. attrition

Slow unlocks is another problem; takes so long to reup, and when you do, you lose all progress; just not enough stuff to get. Even, like, cosmetics every match would have been nice.

That said?

I also think Attrition was a major issue with the game. It was the most popular mode, sure, but it's just TDM. And it took everyone's mindshare, which sucks, because the game is at its absolute best with objective-based modes.

They also need to design frontier defense, really bring it to the fore. Could be as good as Gears of War Horde, which is why that series is so popular in the first place.

CrazE

Banned
First person animations??? What's this all about. I'm lost reading people talking about that and the 3rd person animations. I didn't notice anything different while playing from the first that I'm aware of.

What did they change with this?

Hoo-doo

Banned
One thing that turned me off on Titanfall 1 was the extremely barren weapon selection.

So far it seems like they are improving on that but it's nowhere near close enough variety, IMO.

Chris1

We're on a bandwagon now. You see, all of a sudden everyone loves Attrition, they love shooting bots, etc. But do a quick search here and go back to the original Titanfall launch and you'll see this whole movement of "wow it's only 6v6 and you have to shoot fucking bots, this game sucks"

All of a sudden? Attrition is the most popular gamemode in Titanfall 1 and has been since the beginning. Sounds like you're listening to the vocal minority about it sucking.

Most popular gamemode = most liked. That's simple facts, or they wouldn't be playing it. There was no reason to remove it, Respawn fucked up thinking it was ok to remove, I don't know why you're trying to defend it. Imagine CoD removing TDM or Battlefield removing Conquest. There's no excuse for it.

I don't know if I'd call Attrition my favourite, I really liked Attrition, Marked for Death and CTF. LTS is great too for the odd game and here, but not something I'd play religiously. But removing it is inexcusable.

Bizazedo

Map design is another issue, but we'll see how the launch product is.
Honestly, and even though I also side with the group currently hating on TF 2 (and that's more due to disappointment than hating the game, if TF1 didn't exist I'd like it more), I wonder how big the maps being shite / not designed for a LOT of wall-running are affecting the public opinion.

Angel City is such a hard map to beat memories of.

Citation, please, or is this reddit / random comment nonsense? This is the "I hope you're right, but please don't spread bullshit" response, not a personal attack.

Probably why they made the change in the first place. And if anyone is curious, the subbredit for the most part despised Attrition, a long with the smart pistol. Attrition was shit on since launch, a long with the timer.

The hate for the smart pistol has always cracked me up considering it had basically the longest TTK. I thought the consensus initially was against it, but once people got good, people realized it was a newb weapon.

Not because it was easy to use, it was, but that once you got better with other weapons, it was clearly inferior.

Ok that's what i thought.

Also agree with the consensus of TF1. IDK why everyone all of a sudden is in love with attrition when it received so much hate in TF1. I'm sure Respawn is scratching their head on that one too currently.

People who hate something whine. People who like it usually don't comment on it, especially if they don't feel threatened. Attrition wasn't going anywhere in TF1.

A more poignant question would be, if a lot of the people bitching about Attrition also wanted Pilot vs Pilot, why'd the mode die so fast?

Right, but people that loved Titanfall had to defend against the "you only shoot bots" "maps are too big" "it's COD with mechs and bots" "an auto-lock gun is the most popular gun in the game" complaints flung their way constantly. A lot of people attributed that to people only playing attrition and not trying anything else.

I've never heard anyone who played the game complain about those things, and spamming made up narratives isn't going to change the playlist population numbers from the first game.

SwolBro

Banned
I also think Attrition was a major issue with the game. It was the most popular mode, sure, but it's just TDM. And it took everyone's mindshare, which sucks, because the game is at its absolute best with objective-based modes.
yeah, it's a damn shame really.

First person animations??? What's this all about. I'm lost reading people talking about that and the 3rd person animations. I didn't notice anything different while playing from the first that I'm aware of.

What did they change with this?
In the original game Titan executions and embarking were done in the first person. In this game it's done in the third person.

I didn't like the first one and after watching the streams for this one.... This is essentially COD. Imo, it's black ops 3 with the mechs. I don't know if going third party caused this or if EA had a hand in this.. But I'm not surprised to see the disappointment 😢 and I know these guys were responsible for MW2 which was my favorite COD ever and the best sequel to that entire series.. This just doesn't seem to be the case

Bizazedo

In the original game Titan executions and embarking were done in the first person. In this game it's done in the third person.
Executions for Pilots also take forever and will get you killed, whereas in the previous game they were wicked headsnaps.

I am currently debating whether I like that or not.

Slow unlocks is another problem; takes so long to reup, and when you do, you lose all progress; just not enough stuff to get. Even, like, cosmetics every match would have been nice.

That said?

They also need to design frontier defense, really bring it to the fore. Could be as good as Gears of War Horde, which is why that series is so popular in the first place.

That's exactly why some of the hardcore hated attrition, mainly because it was the most played and popular mode. When the population tanked, it became hard to get into games of any of the objective modes, which pissed off some fans. But that is NOT a reason to hate the most popular game mode people played, that was all the fault of the first game not selling well enough.

Any game that relies on matchmaking suffers from the same curse, without a population to support a matchmaking system, the players are forced into playing the few or only game mode that the system actually can find matches for. Months after release the game population was so small, that you could only get into attrition without waiting a long time, especially on PC where you can go on forever almost and never find a match of any other mode.

Frontier Defense was great, really think if the game had launched with that coop mode, it would have made a huge difference in how ppl saw the game. Coop survival modes are popular, it could have been a game seller.

I've never heard anyone who played the game complain about those things, and spamming made up narratives isn't going to change the playlist population numbers from the first game.

The people who bitched about shooting AI, were mainly people who didn't buy the game.

SwolBro

Banned
Citation, please, or is this reddit / random comment nonsense? This is the "I hope you're right, but please don't spread bullshit" response, not a personal attack.

The hate for the smart pistol has always cracked me up considering it had basically the longest TTK. I thought the consensus initially was against it, but once people got good, people realized it was a newb weapon.

Not because it was easy to use, it was, but that once you got better with other weapons, it was clearly inferior.

A more poignant question would be, if a lot of the people bitching about Attrition also wanted Pilot vs Pilot, why'd the mode die so fast?

There's multiple acknowledgements done by Respawn devs over on the subbreddit about specific things (wall runs), a mention that they're looking into these things and that an announcement about the feedback will be coming soon... plus other stuff.

People didn't go nuts on the smart pistol because it was OP against pilots (though it's far worse on PC than it is on console), they went nuts on it because it was annoying and that you could farm an ungodly amount of bots in a short time.

Pilot Vs Pilot did die quickly in the game. I was never for removing bots. This new Pilot v pilot isn't bad though.

Executions for Pilots also take forever and will get you killed, whereas in the previous game they were wicked headsnaps.

I am currently debating whether I like that or not.
Yeah but you have a choice in whether or not you want to trigger that animation. Frankly, just to shut everyone up i think Respawn should just go ahead and return everything to 1st person.

Holy shit... I just read the OP... WOW

So long Titanfall... hello Call of Duty: Robots

And after pages of pages of discussion you choose only to read the OP and ignore everything else to formulate your opinion. smh.

Wait, there isn't a titan timer anymore? Are you serious?
Its no longer a timer in TF2, but its not quite a killstreak either:

This is why earning a titan is slow and annoying in titanfall 2, look at that orange part of the counter slowly degrade over time, forcing you to keep the kills coming otherwise you lose a lot of score.

0EiNyhl.gif

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
If you actually read through this thread and the tech test impressions thread. You would know a developer said hard point was an old version with way slower build times and that was already corrected for this weekends test.

I am aware of that. I was answering his question.

Crazy. Mind posting up your performance scores? I'm not the world's best TF player but i was consistently calling 2 down per game at a minimum. Sometimes upwards of 4.

I am not sure what they are. I would have to figure that out. I am not a slayer type of player though. I am an objective type of person so my goal was to capture points and sometimes defend. Not go for 20 kills a game. I would say 7 kills was my best game.

And after pages of pages of discussion you choose only to read the OP and ignore everything else to formulate your opinion. smh.

Majority of posts seem to agree or say similar complaints as the OP. About 99% of the posts are confirming this.

See I can make up statistics too

SwolBro

Banned
Majority of posts seem to agree or say similar complaints as the OP. About 99% of the posts are confirming this.

since you keep coming at me about my 1% comment why don't you join me for some attrition later today? seriously dude, it's so uncommon to find someone move properly in attrition that if a Gen 1 level 5 starts moving in a certain way i'll immediately know it's a troll account. hell, if someone so much as parkours and shoots while in the air i'll notice that the person is at least above the average population.

it's so apparently bad i can pick someone out instantaneously.

Bizazedo

Crazy. Mind posting up your performance scores? I'm not the world's best TF player but i was consistently calling 2 down per game at a minimum. Sometimes upwards of 4.

The better question is to ask when he played, before or after the buff to getting the Titans.

That and his gist is actually right, killing people and ignoring objectives seemed to get me Titans far faster than actually playing the objectives exclusively (always 2, sometimes more a game). And that was after the patch.

Separate subject.

TF1 clip I just saw on the reddit.
https://youtu.be/peEPSV8IKdI?t=26

That kind of flexibility is definitely missing from TF2 (so far). I think that might be one of the underlying thing that bugs be. The simplification of a lot of the mechanics.

Well the competitive community didnt care for titanfall or "toddlerfall" as we called it. We were only about 1.2% of the pop, but we didn't need quick fixes on stim packs to get high, we did it with pure skill on PC and after that community dried up because everyone hated attrition, we moved to Xbox to dominate on attrition, even though the true competitive community never liked that mode because people just stand around in the open (unless you're part of the 1%, that is). At least all the guys from the local tourneys that I know felt this way. That's how I remember it going down.

Top Bottom