• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

Didnt complete the download until this morning, and now at work, so thats a bummer. Wont be able to play until this evening and then out of town for the weekend.

Reading the impressions so far... kinda scary. I absolutely adored TF1, got pretty high up Gen-wise. Hearing all this is giving me "MechAssault 1 to MechAssault 2" flashbacks. Haha hope I like it! Joined GAF already on there, hope to play with you all later!

Honestly I think it's these maps. They don't flow like a Titanfall map. You can't chain a bunch of jumps into a super smooth route. None of the buildings are connected so you can't get higher by jumping from building to building. They don't flow and it feels choppy and slow especially that Homestead (?) map. It's too open, you can't jump around and you can't escape Titans. It ruins the interplay between Titan and pilot. Honestly the maps seem like the only problem but it's a big one.

Watching streams and YouTube footage... this just looks like TF dumbed down for the masses.

Slower, less parkour more on foot action, no Titan dash, no s/m/l Titan balance, less interplay between Titans and pilots - looks like more of a pilot-focused ground-dwelling shooter and less of an "evolved shooter" à la first game.

Can't wait to try the beta this weekend, but also very scared...

900 hours logged in TF1 on PC, my fav MP shooter ever

Kill3r7

Honestly I think it's these maps. They don't flow like a Titanfall map. You can't chain a bunch of jumps into a super smooth route. None of the buildings are connected so you can't get higher by jumping from building to building. They don't flow and it feels choppy and slow especially that Homestead (?) map. It's too open, you can't jump around and you can't escape Titans. It ruins the interplay between Titan and pilot. Honestly the maps seem like the only problem but it's a big one.

Based on the videos posted so far, I would have to agree.

I haven't played the test yet, but honestly it seems like based on the complaints, I'll still like it. The only thing that bugs me is the change in mobility and the maps that seem less geared towards it. If it ain't broke don't fix it, Respawn. Also hope they buff Stim. I'm all about speed.

Oh, and if they lowered the TTK that's also a bummer. It was perfect in the first.

BokehKing

Banned
For those complaining about speed

Question

When running the sprint trial
Do you feel the momentum there? I'm pretty sure I did as I chained wall run to wall run

E92 M3

Game feels slower and these maps are odd. Are they trying to appeal to casuals? I bought an Xbox for Titanfall.

Arun1910

PS4 player here, logged in about 8 hours or so I think.

Love the game! Its so fun, fast, fluid. I only ever use the Grappling Hook though, it seems like a necessary thing to have imo and thats my only gripe, wont ever be using anything else.

Question

Do you feel the momentum there? I'm pretty sure I did as I chained wall run to wall run

It has that same great feel when you can get something going. The trials are conducive to this, the two MP maps are not. Homestead especially but even Boomtown. They don't flow like Angel City did, they are like blue balls but for your parkour.

Edit: I think the grapple hook was supposed to be the tradeoff for larger maps but a.) It's an item slot so all the maps shouldn't be designed around it when it's optional and b.) the larger maps basically ensure Titan dominance over pilots. On homestead I can just park myself in that giant open field and lay waste to those tiny pilots. Even with the grapple hook there's no way to escape in most places on homestead when the whole Titan v Pilot dynamic was built around the pilot being able to duck through alleys, jump between buildings to get height, and surprise the titan. Boomtown works in this regard. Homestead does not. I would like to hear what devs think of the map because to me, it's not a Titanfall map.

Arun1910

Even with the grapple hook there's no way to escape in most places on homestead when the whole Titan v Pilot dynamic was built around the pilot being able to duck through alleys, jump between buildings to get height, and surprise the titan. Boomtown works in this regard. Homestead does not. I would like to hear what devs think of the map because to me, it's not a Titanfall map.

Agree 100%. Homestead is way too open, im not saying its a difficult map to play on, cause I do enjoy it, but there are no parkour opportunities. Boomtown is not bad, but I feel like there needs to be higher building structures, I always feel a bit low to the ground.

I'm hoping there is still attrition with AI, i think it adds a different feeling to the flow of battle, allowing you not having to constantly focus on other pilots.

Another strong suit for the AI was that it allowed people like my wife the opportunity to learn how to play, while having fun getting some kills against the computer.

I have my fingers crossed that R2 will be as good as I've hoped, because like many of the people posting I bought an xbox one and played countless hours of R1.

EvB

Question

That's when you got your speed boost in the first game, jumping out of a wall run. Are most peopl here just not familiar with this?

Jarmel

Banned
Both these maps feel like they would be the weaker if not worst of the bunch if they were in Titanfall 1. They both don't have a good flow to them, they both have tons of dead space, there's little verticality to them, and Homestead is too large while Boomtown (?) is too small. They just come across as big steps back on a level design front.

E92 M3

Both these maps feel like they would be the weaker if not worst of the bunch if they were in Titanfall 1. They both don't have a good flow to them, they both have tons of dead space, there's little verticality to them, and Homestead is too large while Boomtown (?) is too small. They just come across as big steps back on a level design front.

Yes, and Respawn/IW usually makes amazing maps. In TF1 it was always fun to challenge Titans. In fact, that is what I did most.

t hicks

Banned
Yeah i love the feel of the game but the maps are just Alright to me, nothing special. I like the Bounty Hunt mode too but i wish they had Attrition in the beta, didn't get to play pilot v. pilot bc no one was playing that when I was online

biteren

Does Titanfall 2 have any character customization as for being able to choose different looks (skins, cosmetics)?

there are wearable camo colors you can get throuout the game you can pick, althought your pilot model is now based on the tactical ability you pick (i wish it just let you choose)

antitrop

I agree about the maps. Compared to all of TF1's, these are some of the weakest.

I think TF1 has some of the best maps of any online FPS I've played, but these don't quite compare.

On the one map it was was really easy to go out of bounds and it wasn't even really clear that part of the map wasn't part of the battlefield.

I was Gen 10 in the first game. I'm not latching on to this like I did the first game. Something seems off about it. I will continue to play through the test, but as of right now I'm a little let down.

Pre-order Status: Not likely

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Ruins? Really?

Yes ruins.

Similar to taking grenades out of Halo, Sidequests out of Wild Hunt, or creatures out of no mans sky.

The AI created a pace and an atmosphere in Titanfall that no other game has/had. Without it, the game loses much of its soul IMO. The only thing less Titanfall than TF without AI is Titanfall without Titans. And at least there is just a mode for those crazies.

HelloMeow

Looks like I'm going to have to find another game to look forward to. A dumbed down Titanfall is the last thing I want to play.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
the whiners won...they added a token SP, they removed online bots....

RIP titanfall franchise 2014-2017

Yes ruins.

Similar to taking grenades out of Halo, Sidequests out of Wild Hunt, or creatures out of no mans sky.

The AI created a pace and an atmosphere in Titanfall that no other game has/had. Without it, the game loses much of its soul IMO. The only thing less Titanfall than TF without AI is Titanfall without Titans. And at least there is just a mode for those crazies.

Might as well just have a bunch of bullseye targets in random places on a map, it would have the same effect. Still not sure how shooting at inanimate objects makes a game better or adds to its "flow". Maybe the flow sucks because of the maps and not the lack of AI?

And excuse me for liking the best aspect of the game: pilot mobility and shooting guns.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Might as well just have a bunch of bullseye targets in random places on a map, it would have the same effect. Still not sure how shooting at inanimate objects makes a game better or adds to it's "flow". Maybe the flow sucks because of the maps and not the lack of AI?

Yes. Bulls eyes are the same as AI for atmosphere and pace. /s

Common.

Might as well just have a bunch of bullseye targets in random places on a map, it would have the same effect. Still not sure how shooting at inanimate objects makes a game better or adds to it's "flow". Maybe the flow sucks because of the maps and not the lack of AI?

And excuse me for liking the best aspect of the game: pilot mobility and shooting guns.

They might as well make the other pilots bots by that logic... it would have the same effect.

Kill3r7

To be fair, R1 maps were GOAT and are unlikely to be topped anytime soon. The map flow and object placement were so well thought out that it created opportunities for some amazing aerial combat and traversal.

antitrop

If Bounty Hunt really is the only mode with AI, I'm gonna be disappointed. I need my class I Attrition.

I don't like Bounty Hunt and Pilots vs Pilots isn't Titanfall.

I agree about the maps. Compared to all of TF1's, these are some of the weakest.

I think TF1 has some of the best maps of any online FPS I've played, but these don't quite compare.

On the one map it was was really easy to go out of bounds and it wasn't even really clear that part of the map wasn't part of the battlefield.

Yup which is why it stands out so much. TF1's map design was amazing and this is a major ball drop for me. Not a deal breaker if the others ones are up to TF1 level though AND it's a fixable problem. I feel bad ragging on it so hard because the game is super fun and I like the changes they've made but the map design in Titanfall is extremely critical. I know they have the ability to make the best maps in the business though.

SwolBro

Banned
Looks like I'm going to have to find another game to look forward to. A dumbed down Titanfall is the last thing I want to play.
Let's all take a big breathe this morning. shall we? it's not all doom and gloom yet. the gun play still feels nice, the controls for the most part are nice with some additional improvements like NO FUCKING WALL HANG option, and the graphics are nice with no screen ripping all over the place.

Now, some of the more controversial stuff like rodeoing, and third person view while entering your titan are a bit overblown. I think those two things just take some time getting used to.

For rodeoing: I'd actually change the grenade drop with an actual shooting of the core again. But i do like the whole concept of the battery pack. And the third person view isn't bad at all, really. Could they change it back? sure. Would it be better if they did? for me it's whatever.

THE REAL ISSUES are as follows

• Stim needs to go back how it was in Titanfall 1. End of story. And no stupid wait to replenish after dying nonsense
  • Bunny hopping needs to return. Momentum must be gained from this or this game is going to be slow as shit and might as well just be blop3
  • Titan's needs to at least be able to switch out gun and tactical ability. Titan abilities also need to replenish faster
  • Whatever jerk or gun jitter that is going on when you get shot needs to be removed immediately
  • TKK needs to be increased. seems too short.
  • Floaty jumps need to be more precise and less floaty

Those are the main things here. Seriously. If they fix these main points the game will be pretty good.

RedRum

Banned
I'm just waking up to the news about the grunts.

If you are questioning and still don't understand the point of grunts of TF1 even just for the sake of the point system (and not even that they were always tactically placed to aid in the flow of the match, fill the larger maps), then there's really no point in explaining it for TF2. Over 23+ days worth of game time for TF1 here.

If there is only one mode with grunts and they left this game to die a boring death by just leaving pilots and titans, this game is a no buy for me.

SwolBro

Banned
I'm just waking up to the news about the grunts.

If you are questioning and still don't understand the point of grunts of TF1 even just for the sake of the point system (and not even that they were always tactically placed to aid in the flow of the match, fill the larger maps), then there's really no point in explaining it for TF2. Over 23+ days worth of game time for TF1 here.

If there is only one mode with grunts and they left this game to die a boring death by just leaving pilots and titans, this game is a no buy for me.

there's no way they're that stupid. the pilot v pilot mode right now doesn't even seem to be populated. they know what happened to pilot skirmish. plus, as long as they have 3 modes with bots (attrition, ctf, lts) we're good. that's all we need.

Kill3r7

If Bounty Hunt really is the only mode with AI, I'm gonna be disappointed. I need my class I Attrition.

I don't like Bounty Hunt and Pilots vs Pilots isn't Titanfall.

I thought Attrition was confirmed as a game mode. They wanted to show off the new modes in the demo/stress test.

Just for note, jackfrags said there was no AI in pilot v pilot and only in bounty hunt. Never said about there being none in the game at all, only of the game modes he played.

Doesn't bother me either way, I prefer how it is now. Just hope the weapons are plentiful and they get the progression system more in depth.

Zyae

Yes ruins.

I liked the AI but this is a gross exaggeration. They really didnt add much to the game.

RedRum

Banned
there's no way they're that stupid. the pilot v pilot mode right now doesn't even seem to be populated. they know what happened to pilot skirmish. plus, as long as they have 3 modes with bots (attrition, ctf, lts) we're good. that's all we need.

I hope not. Attrition is my favorite game mode and it is impossible to have attrition without bots.

E92 M3

I hope the casuals complaining about TF1 didn't ruin the second one, but so far I am skeptical. Everything seems to be so simplified, including Titans.

Hopefully, I am just being dramatic.

Top Bottom