• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

RedRum

Banned
I hope the casuals complaining about TF1 didn't ruin the second one, but so far I am skeptical. Everything seems to be so simplified, including Titans.

Hopefully, I am just being dramatic.

I watched a great youtuve video months ago about games falling to the Call Of Duty mantra. Especially follow up games, where developers want to cater more towards a CoD style of play.

It really kills games.

Newlove

the controls for the most part are nice with some additional improvements like NO FUCKING WALL HANG option

There is a wall hanging perk bro.

I hope the casuals complaining about TF1 didn't ruin the second one, but so far I am skeptical. Everything seems to be so simplified, including Titans.

Hopefully, I am just being dramatic.

Really? I feel there's more depth here than Titanfall 1.

E92 M3

I watched a great youtuve video months ago about games falling to the Call Of Duty mantra. Especially follow up games, where developers want to cater more towards a CoD style of play.

It really kills games.

Funny thing that Respawn created the CoD craze. Modern Warfare 2 was one of my all-time favorite mp shooters.

Amazing sequel.

How do you define depth? To me, depth is understanding the small intricacies of the game and using those to get better.

To be fair, R1 maps were GOAT and are unlikely to be topped anytime soon. The map flow and object placement were so well thought out that it created opportunities for some amazing aerial combat and traversal.

This is this shit I'm talking about, right here. This is sexy and I think the grapple hook could add additional depth as well but you just feel stranded out in a field on homestead with no options but to sprint. Also I would like to note that this is a pretty fixable problem, even late in the game, there are changes to the maps you can make. Maybe I'm not playing the maps the way they did in testing. I would like to know the devs thoughts on the maps, there should be a dialogue I think.

Cronnie

How long on average is it taking people to get into a match?

I've been sitting here for 20 mins watching the "found" counter go up and down as other people seemingly get into matches, is it a queue system or based on something else?

Kill3r7

This is this shit I'm talking about, right here. This is sexy and I think the grapple hook could add additional depth as well but you just feel stranded out in a field on homestead with no options but to sprint. Also I would like to note that this is a pretty fixable problem, even late in the game, there are changes to the maps you can make. Maybe I'm not playing the maps the way they did in testing. I would like to know the devs thoughts on the maps, there should be a dialogue I think.

Here's a pretty good video of CTF flag capture on The Colony (just mute it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annot...6GbekFszPPQ&src_vid=8pnxOIhQ3vA&v=HLEvR1h61mQ

Or this one on Boneyard, one of the more open maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bqQwHVidE0

EvB

How long on average is it taking people to get into a match?

I've been sitting here for 20 mins watching the "found" counter go up and down as other people seemingly get into matches, is it a queue system or based on something else?

Probably just the population right now. There must only be a few thousand people worldwide with access

jet1911

looking at that made me realise how smaaaaaaaall Bootown is. It should have been at least as big as Angel City. It feels way too cramped right now.

The people talking about OG Titanfall with great reverence are insane. Where were all you people a week after it was out? The game had good foundations but was far from brilliance. This looks better in most ways.

Especially dumbfounded at people thinking the map design was amazing. Did I play the same game as you people?

And people...please refrain from saying "you just didn't appreciate the masterful movement and skill the game had". Trust me. It was nothing special.

Kill3r7

The people talking about OG Titanfall with great reverence are insane. Where were all you people a week after it was out? The game had good foundations but was far from brilliance. This looks better in most ways.

Especially dumbfounded at people thinking the map design was amazing. Did I play the same game as you people?

And people...please refrain from saying "you just didn't appreciate the masterful movement and skill the game had". Trust me. It was nothing special.

Check out the following videos and point me to another game in 2014 that allowed for this kind of gameplay. People dropping the game does not mean that TF1 was bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bqQwHVidE0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&v=HLEvR1h61mQ

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Playing the game?

And no, we won't trust you, the game was flawed, but amazing despite of those flaws.

I liked the AI but this is a gross exaggeration. They really didnt add much to the game.

They do. They spot enemy pilots for you. Their spawn is based on map activity so you can predict where the action is. They are the minions of Dota and they are by any means, important.

You add nothing to this thread and this is by definition a shitpost.

I've never seen so much wrong in one post

I'm just speaking of maps. I think the other changes made make for a better experience than the first game. I can see the grapple hook being used for amazing things once people get the hang of it.

Chris1

Lmao this is a joke right?

SwolBro

Banned

I know bro and no one good will use it.

Depth? there's far less depth here. TKK is really low, and with the butchered stim, lack of quick replenishment, and BRIGHT COLORS that make you stick out it's a very fast kill time and benefits people that don't move and sit back waiting.

They need to fix this. I don't even care if they fix how stim works, just make it longer with a quicker replenish time and instant reset after death.

HelloMeow

THE REAL ISSUES are as follows

• Stim needs to go back how it was in Titanfall 1. End of story. And no stupid wait to replenish after dying nonsense
  • Bunny hopping needs to return. Momentum must be gained from this or this game is going to be slow as shit and might as well just be blop3
  • Titan's needs to at least be able to switch out gun and tactical ability. Titan abilities also need to replenish faster
  • Whatever jerk or gun jitter that is going on when you get shot needs to be removed immediately
  • TKK needs to be increased. seems too short.
  • Floaty jumps need to be more precise and less floaty

Those are the main things here. Seriously. If they fix these main points the game will be pretty good.

You forgot titan shields and NPCs. It's all dumbed down.

Zyae

Titanfall was amazing. I have about 120+ hours into it.

Waldini

Titanfall was amazing. Fresh take. Loved the game but it died way too soon due to lack of content or customisation.

I loved the bots in Titanfall because they made sure you always had some great action going on. Don't understand why they removed it. Could be a temporary decision? This is, afterall, a "beta".

GlamFM

Banned
Titanfall 1 was OK.

Played Titanfall 2 yesterday and thought it was much improved.

Was my game of the show at Gamescom.

Negatives aside, I can't praise enough how good the audio is. Massive improvements in that front compared to 1.

One of the first things I noticed.

T.O.P

Banned
  • Bunny hopping needs to return. Momentum must be gained from this or this game is going to be slow as shit and might as well just be blop3

Didn't even know it was gone, are they trying to ruin the damn franchise or what?

Goddamnit

SwolBro

Banned
You forgot titan shields and NPCs. It's all dumbed down.

i kind of bundled all that into Titan combat. It's all around bad. I don't know what they can possibly do to fix it.

My main concern at the moment is basically the stim being too short and not coming back quick enough, the lack of health which results in TTK being crazy fast+glowing bright fucking red. It's too easy to die and doesn't reward movement like the first game did.

I know titanfall 1 had issues with visibility and making pilots out but holy crap they went crazy far with this. You literally glow bright red. That's ridiculous.

before anyone goes spouting nonsense of "well you need to adapt and not die" i don't care about dying, i care about the game promoting MOVEMENT and offensive play. That's what titanfall was about.

Not sure what you're seeing there. those are just two out of an insane amount of people complaining about the same things i am.

DirtyLarry

Played about 90 minutes last night. I think my old age really shows on this game. People saying it feels and looks slower, I still think it is really damn fast and I just am not very good at the pace itself.

With that said after the first 3 matches of being dead last every round, I started to find my groove and was able to contribute to the team. One round I was even in 3rd place overall so that felt like an accomplishment considering how bad I feel I am at the game.

I did play the first game for about 3 months here and there, and I do feel the maps on it were more conducive to wall running. The two maps I played last night only had pocketed areas for wall running. Seemed intentional though but it did create a different type of gameplay to me. Seemed a bit more "traditional" in that regards.

Jarmel

Banned

I was one of the first G10s. I think I did it within a couple of days after the first guy to do it. Please.

Some of us here played the fuck out of Titanfall 1.

SwolBro

Banned
Getting a Smash Bros Melee vs Smash Bros 4 vibe here from the general word of mouth.

So they're leaning more toward every other military shooter instead of the things that made TF1 interesting? Okay.

there's a lot of good though. the gunplay feels great, the movement is still there somewhat. they just need to tweak certain aspects of the pilot play to make it great.

the titan play however... i don't know what they'll do with that. it seems like it needs a massive overhaul. the first one nailed titan combat lol. it's crazy how they'd try and fuck with it

The game is still very much Titanfall. They only have 2 maps in this TECH TEST. There will be a third next weekend. Homestead does feel too open. The other map is great. I'm looking forward to check out some of the other maps.

Can't wait to jump back on tonight. Too much fun.

Also: Bounty Hunt was the only mode confirmed WITH AI for the TECH TEST. There has been no confirmation that it is the only mode with AI.

It does feel slower overall, the map design doens't help either. Your player feels heavier, and the lack of momentum building further slows it down.

Also ppl hated the AI, but really that also helped make the game feel more action packed and hectic with constant battle. Theres alot of blank nothing in these battles as you run around searching for players, when before there was always stuff to shoot, and there was always battles going on around you.

Titans are so slow now too

Xav

there's a lot of good though. the gunplay feels great, the movement is still there somewhat. they just need to tweak certain aspects of the pilot play to make it great.

the titan play however... i don't know what they'll do with that. it seems like it needs a massive overhaul. the first one nailed titan combat lol. it's crazy how they'd try and fuck with it
I didn't imply that Smash Bros Melee was better than Smash Bros 4. I actually like Smash Bros 4 much more.

As for Titanfall 2. I'll form an opinion when (if) I get to play it this weekend. The more open maps sound horrible but everything else I'm indifferent to.

RedRum

Banned
I just want to add, you weren't a hardcore TF1 fan unless you aced the original gooser challenge. That is all. ;-)

Zyae

i kind of bundled all that into Titan combat. It's all around bad. I don't know what they can possibly do to fix it.

My main concern at the moment is basically the stim being too short and not coming back quick enough, the lack of health which results in TTK being crazy fast+glowing bright fucking red. It's too easy to die and doesn't reward movement like the first game did.

I know titanfall 1 had issues with visibility and making pilots out but holy crap they went crazy far with this. You literally glow bright red. That's ridiculous.

before anyone goes spouting nonsense of "well you need to adapt and not die" i don't care about dying, i care about the game promoting MOVEMENT and offensive play. That's what titanfall was about.

Not sure what you're seeing there. those are just two out of an insane amount of people complaining about the same things i am.

Impressions from people who have actually played the game on reddit have been positive. Its all over the sub.

They had a near perfect game gameplay wise with the first game. All they needed to do was add more customisation to the titans and pilots - from what I'm seeing it seems to have changed quite a bit.

Removing grunts and burn cards is very annoying - it was one of the ways that made it different to other FPS

Theorry

Impressions from people who have actually played the game on reddit have been positive. Its all over the sub.

I prefer the opinions here more. They seem less "biased"
Not saying the people on Titanfall Reddit dont see problems but are probably looking atm because its the new thing through pink glasses.

I was there for Gen 10 on PC and for awhile after that.

You're right the foundations were there in TF1 but they seriously messed with them in TF2.

Turning the Titans into MOBA Like heroes with a locked set of features feels really odd. They have tons of offensive tools but feel squishy. They play more like killstreaks that put out tons of damage over a short amount of time. The battery mechanic does not help that situation.

So far it feels like they have watered down some of the core tenants of the first game in order to appeal to a broader audience. At least in terms of granting pilots more power and survivability amongst other things

Who knows, this is early on and we only have a handful of things available to us. Its early to cast a final decision on the game. I can say that compared to the TF1 tests I feel way less hyped about the sequel.

dankir

I just want to add, you weren't a hardcore TF1 fan unless you aced the original gooser challenge. That is all. ;-)

I've played Titan Fall a lot over 100 hours easily. And still only have 8 gooser kills, still trying to get the Pull and Pull Harder Achievements.

Top Bottom