• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

Lunar15

I'll admit, the footage I've seen has been depressing, but only from the angle that it doesn't look a lot like what I enjoyed in the original titanfall.

But at the same time, the last thing I want to do is be someone who's not willing to give something a chance just because it's different. Something can be different but still good, so I have to look at it that way, play the beta, and just give it a fair shake.

TF1 was fantastic, but definitely flawed, and I think some of that actually came down to the better elements of the series, such as the speed and the health of titans. While elements were individually fun, they weren't always a cohesive whole. It seems like they've changed both of those to make something a little more traditional, and while that definitely gives me pause, I don't want to be the guy poo-pooing something just because it's new.

RedRum

Banned
I've played Titan Fall a lot over 100 hours easily. And still only have 8 gooser kills, still trying to get the Pull and Pull Harder Achievements.

Took me forever. Mainly because I was trying to use the chaingun. Arc cannon + LTS is the way to get those.

StillEdge

Just was blessed with a code. Now it's time to update my Xbox. Really excited to get some better hands on then I got at E3.

JLck

I'm hoping that these are just poor choices of maps for the beta as they don't want the beta to be about wallrunning so much.

There's very little to run/bounce off here. I'm trying to combo but after a few I'm back to running through an open space.

SwolBro

Banned
Impressions from people who have actually played the game on reddit have been positive. Its all over the sub.

I prefer the opinions here more. They seem less "biased"
Not saying the people on Titanfall Reddit dont see problems but are probably looking atm because its the new thing through pink glasses.

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Majority of those posts are from people that haven't even been part of that reddit board. Most, if not all, the people that played Titanfall 1 consistently all complain about the same problems.

JLck

I'm hoping that these are just poor choices of maps for the beta as they don't want the beta to be about wallrunning so much.

There's very little to run/bounce off here. I'm trying to combo but after a few I'm back to running through an open space.

I finally got to grips with the grapple hook that game, and instead of going 12-16 and the like, I went 18-6 and was actually traversing fairly well.

Still don't believe that it's traversal will ultimately match TF1 thanks to the maps, but grapple helps a lot. Or perhaps thats why there is more open space and less to jump between, because of the grapple?

Thewonandonly

i kind of bundled all that into Titan combat. It's all around bad. I don't know what they can possibly do to fix it.

My main concern at the moment is basically the stim being too short and not coming back quick enough, the lack of health which results in TTK being crazy fast+glowing bright fucking red. It's too easy to die and doesn't reward movement like the first game did.

I know titanfall 1 had issues with visibility and making pilots out but holy crap they went crazy far with this. You literally glow bright red. That's ridiculous.

before anyone goes spouting nonsense of "well you need to adapt and not die" i don't care about dying, i care about the game promoting MOVEMENT and offensive play. That's what titanfall was about.

Not sure what you're seeing there. those are just two out of an insane amount of people complaining about the same things i am.
Damn man I think I agree with you :( titanfall 1 I could zip across the map and wall jump beautiful and for most the time get the flank. Now I try the flank but I get nailed by a titan 100 yards away. Why are the maps so open and what happen to my wall running :(

I only played one match tho but this are my complaints so far

SwolBro

Banned
I finally got to grips with the grapple hook that game, and instead of going 12-16 and the like, I went 18-6 and was actually traversing fairly well.

Still don't believe that it's traversal will ultimately match TF1 thanks to the maps, but grapple helps a lot. Or perhaps thats why there is more open space and less to jump between, because of the grapple?

it's not. it's not even close. even the wall running up a tower feels clunky and unintuitive.

i'm getting around 30+ kills a match already. getting a hold of the stim pretty decently. It's a fun stim, it just needs to be longer, less taper off, and faster cool down.
Damn man I think I agree with you :( titanfall 1 I could zip across the map and wall jump beautiful and for most the time get the flank. Now I try the flank but I get nailed by a titan 100 yards away. Why are the maps so open and what happen to my wall running :(

I only played one match tho but this are my complaints so far

you'll get used to it. it comes down to stim really, the wall running and bouncing is completely neutered. without the grapple hook or a functioning stim the game is going to play like COD.

Watching this stream, fuck it looks great. Why is everybody saying its super slow now?

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesager

I can't wait to try it tomorrow.

I don't think the movement is actually slower or clunkier. Like I said, it's more that I don't think the current maps are conducive to the kind of parkour gameplay we saw in, say, Angel City. It feels clunkier because you're hitting the ground a lot instead of chaining a bunch of jumps together to get across the map rapidly.

Zyae

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Majority of those posts are from people that haven't even been part of that reddit board. Most, if not all, the people that played Titanfall 1 consistently all complain about the same problems.

No True Scotsman

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I don't think the movement is actually slower or clunkier. Like I said, it's more that I don't think the current maps are conducive to the kind of parkour gameplay we saw in, say, Angel City. It feels clunkier because you're hitting the ground a lot instead of chaining a bunch of jumps together to get across the map rapidly.

I wouldn't be surprised if the maps had wider spaces to facilitate the grappling hook.

Chris1

Why did they remove delayed sprint but kept on all times? I liked using delayed sprint, having it being on or off completely sucks. Delayed gave you that freedom to walk while still having automatic sprint on. Hope they add it back.

I've played Titan Fall a lot over 100 hours easily. And still only have 8 gooser kills, still trying to get the Pull and Pull Harder Achievements.
If you want to cheese it, play on I think export, sit on the roof of the building opposite of the thing that shoots electricity in the sky.. and shoot away all game. You should get 1-2 goosers a game without much trouble.

Not very fun mind you, but it's an easy way to get goosers.

Zyae

because they're playing on a team of 5 that all play shooters religiously so they can pretty much just fly around the map. it would slow down to a crawl if the team on the other side were just as good.

Why? Based on what? How can you say this? Maybe they simply know what they are doing?

they do know what they're doing. not sure what you're talking about here? things always seem better when you're having success.

The players are utilizing mobility to their advantage, you're saying if the other team was as good the mobility would break. He's questioning the basis of your assertion.

SwolBro

Banned
The players are utilizing mobility to their advantage, you're saying if the other team was as good the mobility would break. He's questioning the basis of your assertion.

sigh.. because at any high level play people sit back and head glitch, not fly around the map as freely because they'd be picked off before they even get to the other side, get it?

sigh.. because at any high level play people sit back and head glitch, not fly around the map as freely because they'd be picked off before they even get to the other side, get it?

I get what you're saying, but you're providing no proof that mobility won't be useful for good players. It was useful and quick in 1, why wouldn't it be useful in 2? Just because it's slightly slower or there aren't quite as many walls to run on?

Arun1910

I thought I warped my TItan into the other Titan. It was just a guy though. Is there a way to get pilots off of you? Where the electric smoke? I'm terrible at bounty because I never go to the bank. I got the most kills in the match once (like 19) but only 300 points.

Just start going to the bank then! Electric smoke is right on the D-Pad in the Titan that shoots lasers (Name escapes me). Don't think the other one has electric smoke.

I get what you're saying, but you're providing no proof that mobility won't be useful for good players. It was useful and quick in 1, why wouldn't it be useful in 2? Just because it's slightly slower or there aren't quite as many walls to run on?

It is useful to a certain point, but if you are flying across the map you will quickly get picked off when playing against people of a high level.

Zyae

What are you even complaining about at this point?

Chris1

I think Amped Hardpoint will be a bit less campy, but literally the design of these two maps plus Bounty Hunt require campy gameplay to do well, which is too bad.

Yeah both terrible game modes to show off the game... not one person is even on pilot v pilot mode right now, which while I'm glad to see because it's probably terrible like in Titanfall 1, but it feels like a waste of a mode.

The map design is bad which is disappointing coming off Titanfall 1's excellent maps but I'm more worried they think these are the best maps as you usually pick your best to show off a beta to sell your game. I hope that's not the case because oops if not.

Arun1910

What sensitivity are you guys using? I used a fairly high one in TF1 but nothing here is feeling right to me.

Im on 5. I felt the same way, somethings off. Any higher than 5 and I can't control my ADS strafing but I can still traverse fine, its weird.

I'm weird.

Am I missing something, i got am email about this, followed the link and it tells me how to get it off the store. No mention of needing a code? Am I going to end up downloading something I can't play as I don't have a code?

Is there aim assist in this? Sometimes it feels like there is slightly, then other times it doesnt. Also, is there a perk or attachment that makes less recoil? Getting cross mapped by guys using the CAR with no recoil on the kill cam, but that could just be through the kill cam.

I just want to add, you weren't a hardcore TF1 fan unless you aced the original gooser challenge. That is all. ;-)
I did that. It was bullshit that they made it easier.

Game looks really slow compared to the first. Will see tomorrow or whenever I can get my hands on an early code.

The aiming system is weird. It feels super over-sensitive, the "aiming styles" are all pretty odd with the exception of "fine aim" which works for me. The "classic" option is the worst, feels nothing like the original.

Jarmel

Banned
That sounds like Pilot user error to me! :p I dominate with my Titan in part 1. Look forward to tomorrow to see how this plays compared to the first.

It's near impossible to take out two or three Titans now compared to T1 where I could easily do it. The lack of shields and boosts limit you a lot.

JP_

Banned
So can someone clarify? You need a code now? But will you need a code this weekend and next weekend?

Top Bottom