• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

I've never played R1 but one thing I fully agree is this game has the scent of CoD all over it.

It's confusing how familiar this feels even though I haven't touched BO3 in months.

I feel blessed that I'm free of the burden that is R1 and all the expectations and hopes for more it has set for this sequel.

Ignorance is bliss indeed.

Won't be able to keep everybody else interested when infinite warfare drops either a few weeks after.

Gears of War 4 is Oct 11th
Playstation VR (and probably Neo) releases Oct 13th
Battlefield 1 is Oct 21st
Titanfall 2 is Oct 28th
Infinite Warfare is Nov 4th (1 week later)
people who preorder IW legacy digitally will get Modern Warfare remastered Oct 5th
Dishonored 2 is Nov 11th
Watch Dogs 2 is Nov 15th
FF15 is Nov 29th

A few of these are going to get thrown to the wayside, and right now based on all the negative feedback from the alpha I really hope EA/Respawn delay Titanfall 2 to Q1 2017. It will be sad if they send it out to die.

Titanfall 2 is Oct 28th
people who preorder IW legacy digitally will get Modern Warfare remastered Oct 5th
Dishonored 2 is Nov 11th
Watch Dogs 2 is Nov 15th
FF15 is Nov 29th

A few of these are going to get thrown to the wayside, and right now based on all the negative feedback from the alpha I really hope EA/Respawn delay Titanfall 2 to Q1 2017. It will be sad if they send it out to die.

On my own personal note... I only care about Gears and Titanfall 2 in that list.

I know... mainstream don't give a fuck tho.

cakely

Just finished an evening with the test.

The training course was actually quite fun, and looked pretty good.

The actual mutiplayer ... I'm not sure what to think. First impressions were certainly not as positive as the original Titanfall. Maybe it's just familiarity but I'd rather go back to Titanfall 1 than play that test again.

If the single-player campaign is as slick as the training mission, it still might be worth a pickup, we'll see.

? As soon as I got in a Titan I knew this game was fucking garbage. These slow ass piles of shit wtf happened.

Did they get a sub team ala treyarch to bang this one out

aBarreras

game developers cant fucking win with their so called "fans"

people bitch about change and people bitch about not changing.

we have people on Gears 4 saying, "oh its the same old Gears"

we have people on TF2 saying "they changed too much!"

i mean, i dont want to reference the infamous miyamoto/zelda imagen, but goddamn, sometimes it's so accurate.

im not saying that TF2 it's better than the first, or that the changes arent as big as they seem, but poeple ouright calling this game garbage, and COD rip-off, it's too fucking much

Rayme

Party system is shit. Not sure who is in charge of it, but they should look into another line of work.

Party system in this build (inviting friends, etc) has known reliability issues on both platforms, as we've tried to communicate (even in that splash screen on load that reminds that this is an early unfinished technical test). It's unfortunate and can be annoying but that is the reality of linear time and game development; luckily Networks can reliably be used to play together in this build (though you'll need to re-invite between each round, another annoyance fixed for the full release).

The team "in charge of it" are top in their field and currently moving heaven & earth in a game of 4D chess to keep our fun little robot-ninja-shoot game running smoothly. They are consistently amazing and I am (we are) lucky to be in their orbit.

Wait. This doesn't have JiP either?

For fuck's sake Respawn.
There is join-in-progress. The specifics of it (when is "too late" to throw replacements in, is it ever okay to leave teams unbalanced, etc) are being watched and adjusted, and I wouldn't be surprised if technical issues are sometimes affecting it and other matchmaking during this test. But yes there is will be join-in-progress.

If you have a specific anecdote ("our match started 6v2 and never filled the other team!", etc), that would be helpful.

Is this capped at level 10? Mine isn't going above level 10.
10 for this weekend. Higher for next weekend (I want to say 15?), and another map will be added.

Poster#1

i mean, i dont want to reference the infamous miyamoto/zelda imagen, but goddamn, sometimes it's so accurate.

im not saying that TF2 it's better than the first, or that the changes arent as big as they seem, but poeple ouright calling this game garbage, and COD rip-off, it's too fucking much

There have been 4 gears games and one titanfall game. Your comparison isn't fair.

Argonomic

Titanfall 2 is Oct 28th
Dishonored 2 is Nov 11th
Watch Dogs 2 is Nov 15th
FF15 is Nov 29th

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it
As fearfully as doth a galled rock
O'erhang and jutty his confounded base,
Swill'd with the wild and wasteful ocean.
Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide,
Hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit
To his full height. On, on, you noblest English.
Whose blood is fet from fathers of war-proof!
Fathers that, like so many Alexanders,
Have in these parts from morn till even fought
And sheathed their swords for lack of argument:
Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.
Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war. And you, good yeoman,
Whose limbs were made in England, show us here The mettle of your pasture; let us swear
That you are worth your breeding; which I doubt not;
For there is none of you so mean and base,
That hath not noble lustre in your eyes.
I see you stand like greyhounds in the slips,
Straining upon the start. The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint George!'

If you have a specific anecdote ("our match started 6v2 and never filled the other team!", etc), that would be helpful.

A few matches ago all but one of the enemy team quit. Waited for about a minute or two and no one ever joined. I just bailed since there was still a significant amount of time left in the round.

10 for this weekend. Higher for next weekend (I want to say 15?), and another map will be added.

Any zip lines? I miss zip lines :(

Whose limbs were made in England, show us here The mettle of your pasture; let us swear

Criticism aside, I'd honestly get tf2 before bf1 just because you guys are giving free maps.

You have no idea how much it eases my mind paying full price for a mp game, knowing I dont have to pay to keep up

As far as my mp choice goes, it's this or bf1.

M.W.

Party system in this build (inviting friends, etc) has known reliability issues on both platforms, as we've tried to communicate (even in that splash screen on load that reminds that this is an early unfinished technical test). It's unfortunate and can be annoying but that is the reality of linear time and game development; luckily Networks can reliably be used to play together in this build (though you'll need to re-invite between each round, another annoyance fixed for the full release).

The team "in charge of it" are top in their field and currently moving heaven & earth in a game of 4D chess to keep our fun little robot-ninja-shoot game running smoothly. They are consistently amazing and I am (we are) lucky to be in their orbit.

There is join-in-progress. The specifics of it (when is "too late" to throw replacements in, is it ever okay to leave teams unbalanced, etc) are being watched and adjusted, and I wouldn't be surprised if technical issues are sometimes affecting it and other matchmaking during this test. But yes there is will be join-in-progress.

Hang in there pilots. The end is nigh. 28th day of October shall be grand. And we will come.

I think criticism of the network issues is unfair. People dont need to be mean about that

But I can see why people say its like cod

In COD, you can double jump, slide, and wall run too. TF2 doesnt quite have the speed momentum of tf1. That's the thing with tf1. It may have those same features, but the execution was different

I don't think it's hard to see that there is good change and bad change.

It's not like it's an either or situation where fans will bitch about change or not changing enough.

Game devs can win. You are equating two different things here, and it's not fair to say fans are unjustly bitching as if they are upset simply for the game being a sequel. That's not the case here, and it's not hard to see why so many people are upset

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Played a few more matches, and it's growing on me. I still think the Titan timer thing is better than having Titans tied to streaks. Mobility can and should be smoother (Black Ops 3's movement is even more fluid than this), and the maps they decided to use to showcase the game are certainly not well designed. Oh, and the UI needs to be cleaned up. Lots of stuff going around that's either pointless, or just obstructive (like the grunts and their prices taking up like 30 percent of the screen when it shows up).

Having said that, once you nail down the actual "need" to farm Titan batteries, it's so much easier for your Titan to dominate. What I did recently was to check the map for batteries lying around, jump out of mech, get battery for my mech. I had one Mech almost last the entire match and managed to get like more than 1,000 in bounty cash.

I don't expect other Pilots to give me battery unless it's accidental (and neither should anyone else, I think). I do it from time to time, but I can see how most people won't even bother since you can't even count on med people to revive or give med packs in Battlefield.

That said, I think if they can tweak mobility, Titan timer, time to kill, prove how deep the kits and customization are, and (if it's even doable) provide the grapple as a standard for all classes, then it can very well turn out good. I'm keeping my hopes up seeing how fast Respawn tweaked the Titan launch rate for Amped in just a day.

The good thing here is, I think the major complaints from most people (GAF, Reddit, Titanfall forums) can easily be remedied (relatively) without needing to gut the game from the ground up. Hopefully, Respawn listens and their internal data proves that.

Speaking of, most of these changes have been made since TF1 did see its player base drop significantly; a fact Respawn confirmed (to us). Maybe their internal data dictates these changes? It's not a guarantee that will translate to sales, though, but if they're following that, it's perfectly understandable as to why.

1. Grapple Hook should be standard.
2. Titans should be on a timer.
3. Titans should still have loadouts. Class based on core ability.
4. Grapple hook should be faster.
5. Titans should have at least one dash and the dash should recharge a bit quicker.
6. Zip lines, especially on a giant map like homestead.
7. Increase the TTK to what it was in Titanfall.

These are the changes i think would make for a better game closer to Titanfall even if the base gameplay has been slowed down and the maps aren't designed around fast movement around the environment like the first.

After, spending a bit of time this morning playing Titanfall and getting my ass handed to me as I haven't played in months, the speed difference between the games is very noticeable. It's obvious the game is slowed down for casuals, but there is sill a game here that can be closer to Titanfall than CoD

Can't agree with this list more. Honesty what the game needs to return to TF1 glory. IDK if they tried to slow it down for the lowest common denominator (COD players) or what, but yikes. I don't hate this, it's still a lot of fun but just not an improvement over the first.

And yes, matchmaking is COMPLETELY boned on PS4 atm. IF my crew and I are able to get in a party together, it's another hurdle just to launch into the same game. Then afterwards you have to join back up again. Forgiveable though considering this is just a pre-alpha tech test (whatever the hell that is).

If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Poetry battles aside: please keep all your feedback coming. We clearly can't promise to make all the changes every single person wants, but hearing what you thought was good and what was bad helps us make informed decisions about what to do.

aBarreras

If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie; Dulce et Decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Poetry battles aside: please keep all your feedback coming. We clearly can't promise to make all the changes every single person wants, but hearing what you thought was good and what was bad helps us make informed decisions about what to do.

i agree with the comments about that titans arent that common now, at least on bounty hunter, for game called titanfall, there isnt a lot of titans per game,

other thing, im really diggin the battery thing!, i like to get out of my titan, collect a battery and return to my titan so it will have a boost. also i love that when your health is depleted, that bar that indicates how longs until it explodes doesnt depletes on its owns, you can really keep using your titan if you are careful enough, also you can replenish it if you collecting a battery too!

edit: andi think thats kinda the whole point, on TF1 the titans are kinda expendables, so it doesnt hurt that much when you lose one, on this one it really hurts, but also you can keep using a sole titan for so much time if you are paying attention to your sorroundings and playing smartly

Bishop89

just played 2 rounds on ps4 (no experience with titanfall before).

I enjoyed it, its a really well made multiplayer game imo.

Running speed could be a little bit faster though.

Though im still not sure if ill be picking it up at launch.

with MW:Remastered and BF1 coming out, im not sure if I'll have enough time for a 3rd mutliplayer shooter! which is a shame coz this game does seem fun.

Butane123

also i love that when your health is depleted, that bar that indicates how longs until it explodes doesnt depletes on its owns, you can really keep using your titan if you are careful enough
It took me a good five or six games before I noticed that, and then I thought it was some weird glich before I realized it was the norm now. Still have the habit of ejecting as soon as I see that bar though.

It's crazy how the multiple people throughout the world have different opinions, eh?

Gears is over a decade old and this will be the fifth game in the franchise. Titanfall is two years old and this is game two.

I welcome devs tweaking and adding things to their games. But this is a complete shift away from pretty much everything that made the first one so good.

The closest thing I can compare it to is going from SOCOM II to SOCOM 3. There were core, fundamental design changes in SOCOM 3 (32 man battles, vehicles, maps being designed for all modes instead of specifically for certain modes, etc) that resulted in a game dramatically different than the previous.

Some people might like the new meta of the game more. It's certainly way more streamlined and way more casual friendly. But pretty much everything I loved and spent hundreds of hours playing in the original, are not present in the beta. It sucks.

WadeitOut

My opinion has nothing to do with how much or how little changed. The game just feels like trash mechanically to me. It's not hard. I melted face in TF1. It just feels bad.

I'd legit rather play BLOPS 3's engine with everything else in TF. The end of match screen is my favorite part of TF2 unfortunately.

It's crazy how the multiple people throughout the world have different opinions, eh?

Yep.

To me, this is pretty much a vocal part of the hardcore TF1 fans expressing their disapproval of the changes in TF2. You've then got people who have never played TF saying that this game is fun, it has awesome gunplay and Titan action, etc. I don't think people should be quick to call this game trash, since the developers have acknowledged multiple times already that they are listening to feedback and will make changes accordingly. We should hold them to that.

WadeitOut

Yep.

To me, this is pretty much a vocal part of the hardcore TF1 fans expressing their disapproval of the changes in TF2. You've then got people who have never played TF saying that this game is fun, it has awesome gunplay and Titan action, etc.

I mean...I gen 10d before anyone I know and I didn't like it.

*Edit* Derp I read this wrong

I just want the ability to move about the map like I did Angel City. Where I could move throughout the entire map without even setting foot on the ground. I think Boomtown accomplishes this quite nicely. It feels great to play on. I don't think Homestead is there yet.

Yep.

To me, this is pretty much a vocal part of the hardcore TF1 fans expressing their disapproval of the changes in TF2. You've then got people who have never played TF saying that this game is fun, it has awesome gunplay and Titan action, etc. I don't think people should be quick to call this game trash, since the developers have acknowledged multiple times already that they are listening to feedback and will make changes accordingly. We should hold them to that.
I'm not a hardcore fan, especially having only played the first a little. Been playing with a bunch of people whi never touched the first one. Most of us were not feeling it. Many including me already deleted the game demo from our consoles.

WadeitOut

I don't really like TF2, either, but you're proving his point.

Yeah I completely misread his post somehow. I read it swapped.

Either way I don't consider myself a hardcore TF fan as of a long time ago so like I said it has nothing to do with a comparison to the first game. It's just too slow and has an even further diminishing skill gap when its predecessor already barely had one.

I'm not a hardcore fan, especially having only played the first a little. Been playing with a bunch of people whi never touched the first one. Most of us were not feeling it. Many including me already deleted the game demo from our consoles.

Titanfall just might not be your thing.

As someone with experience in software development it kind of physically hurts to see the word demo used here lol.

Gears is over a decade old and this will be the fifth game in the franchise. Titanfall is two years old and this is game two.
And the first Titanfall for PS4-only players. Been trying to explain to some of my PS4 buddies just what they've been missing all this time. It'll stay that way if this test is any indication.

Yep.

You've also got people who never played who think it isn't fun or refer to it as COD with mechs. You can view those opinions in this very thread. You've got people who played TF1 that enjoy the sequel. Various opinions all over, which is fine. I'm not sure why some of you feel the need to rationalize all of the dislike by stating its just bitter vets complaining when that isn't the case. It's possible to like it without dismissing everyone who doesn't.

In regards to the feedback, great, but outside of minor tweaks here and there, I doubt the map design is changing (hopefully the others are better)and I don't see the bulk of the gameplay getting changed this close to release. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong though.

web01

TTK is way to low. Sometimes you kill an enemy so quick when they cut across your line of fire you do not even realise. Especially up close so they really need to balance the damage vs bullet distance travelled. At long range TTK seems better but that is only because alot of bullets are missing.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

Nearly all my matches have been lopsided (generally in my favour). I remember this rarely happening in 1 because of the awesome JiP system you guys had for that.

Saw this a lot here, might be the most puzzling. The R-201 Carbine in this build has the same fire rate as last game's R-101, and same hits to kill a pilot at standard range. There aren't a ton of guns in this test, so what's driving people to think this?

You can't move as fast due to the aforementioned killing of momentum gains (I can't ever get moving faster than you move after your first wallbounce?! Why you do dis Respawn), you have more hang time, and the aim assist is off the chain. Even with the same number of hits to kill, TF2 has made it so it is waaay easier to get all of those hits in instantly.

More on the first point, one reason I think movement in TF2 feels bad compared to TF1 because you are struggling to maintain a "meh" speed, rather than working towards building additional speed. Struggle vs. empowerment. And I shouldn't have to use stim to move fast. IMO, the tactical abilities shouldn't provide the ONLY viable ways to do something (go fast, get somewhere high, detect players, be sneaky), and a player should be capable of doing everything with their native abilities. So if I want to go fast or get high without using stim or grapple I can master parkour. If I want to better detect enemies, I can learn to listen for them, or anticipate their movements based on the map flow. If I want to be sneaky, I should be able to come up behind players using concealment and careful movement (and ofc not glowing bright red for everyone to see!).

Titanfall just might not be your thing.
I really liked the first one, except the PC version became a ghost town do I never got to sink my teeth into it proper.

As someone with experience in software development it kind of physically hurts to see the word demo used here lol.
As someone involved in the game industry over a decade, get over it. They label it as a pre-alpha technical test, with the real thing out in nearly two months. This server testing is also marketing (early access code giveaways, remember?), so calling it a demo is fine.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Bounty hunt is such an odd mode. I'm consistently the top person on the team each time with 3K+ but the better I do the more I realize how dull I play it. I actively avoid other enemies and just get a ton of money farming grunts, you actually get Titans really quickly doing this.

I see zero reason to not use the Charge Rifle out of the 3 present anti-titan weapons due to some of these changes as well. You can get hits on the AI titan easily at any range just to get money, and also get large chunks towards your own titan against enemy titans. Once you have the titan I only engage once I have the core ready to basically swing the fight from the start, and if you're on the waves where more AI spawns you can freely charge this just running them over and getting a bunch of money in the process. You can also just use the core on the AI Titan bounty and even if you don't get the killing blow (though you usually will), you get a large stream of money for all the rapid hits the laser causes.

charsace

Do they still have AI bots? Because AI bots could be good when you hacked a bunch of them and had a fire team following you around.

Top Bottom