• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

3DShovel

Not to mention there's ALL SORTS of different routes to take in Homestead that don't place you in the open. Just look around. I'm constantly able to make it to the other side of the map for at the beginning of a Hardpoint match without ever being spotted :)
Yep. I think too many people are focused on it not being TF1 with more stuff.

It's a great game and I enjoy the changes.

RedFury

After a few games this morning everything just clicked. My only issues now is pilot movement speed, stim pack fix, titan timer. Titan melt infantry, I think titans should have regen shield and when a core is removed it plays as it currently is. Gives you incentive to get your core Back! No core = no regen. That will give titans a much needed survivability boost.
Edit: I can't wait to see the new titans. Hope there's one that plays like Zarya from OW. It's weapon is dependent on how much damage it absorbs.

Alienous

After a few games this morning everything just clicked. My only issues now is pilot movement speed, stim pack fix, titan timer. Titan melt infantry, I think titans should have regen shield and when a core is removed it plays as it currently is. Gives you incentive to get your core Back! No core = no regen. That will give titans a much needed survivability boost.

That could be pretty cool. I like that idea.

Sanpei

I played Titanfall 1 after TF2 demo....

It is so full of action,...TF2 looked too empty...Titanfall 1 is better than Titanfall 2, i am sure now

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
i played like an hour of this, now i didn't play the first Titanfall so i didn't have any expectations coming in. It was allright. The grappling hook is neat, i like that it has physics, momentum plays a role on how far you will able to reach. I enjoyed this beta but i don't see myself buying this game at day one.

Mafro

Have they bothered to give a reason as to why they got rid of the separate pistol slot and changed it to having to choose between either a pistol or titan weapon in the same slot?

aBarreras

i dont know if this is the case, but the reduction or lack of AI could be Respawn having to pay for the Azure servers instead of Microsoft providing them? i mean, it could be right?

i really dont know what's the deal with that

RedFury

i played like an hour of this, now i didn't play the first Titanfall so i didn't have any expectations coming in. It was allright. The grappling hook is neat, i like that it has physics, momentum plays a role on how far you will able to reach. I enjoyed this beta but i don't see myself buying this game at day one.
Id have to say there is a lot of mechanics that aren't quite represented in other games of the same genre. Give it some more time and don't try to play it like other FPS and adapt to the tools your given. When everything clicks you'll find yourself having fun. I was hesitant about the changes but I'm pretty hooked now.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
It's USELESS with anything past medium range (which it's kinda supposed to be, to be fair), even if your shooting in control bursts.

R-201s problem is it's damage output in comparison to other weapons.

The range is ridiculous just like in the first game, which they ended up nerfing.

Alienous

Id have to say there is a lot of mechanics that aren't quite represented in other games of the same genre. Give it some more time and don't try to play it like other FPS and adapt to the tools your given. When everything clicks you'll find yourself having fun. I was hesitant about the changes but I'm pretty hooked now.

7Dj53m1.gif

zou

Have they bothered to give a reason as to why they got rid of the separate pistol slot and changed it to having to choose between either a pistol or titan weapon in the same slot?

What's especially sad is that in TF1 they wanted to make sure every single player could take down a titan, hence giving AT weapons to everyone. Guess that's another thing that's not important in TF2.

B3N1

No. I loved having the sidearm as insurance when I was running low on ammo after a gunfight. Removing it is another baffling design decision.

Raide

So much ground based combat in that footage. Eurgh

Sounded so empty too.

Worst way to show off the game is to let Cod players run around. The linked video just showed someone running around on foot without using the TF controls and options.

I still think I need to see a city based map with lots of verticality.

OK, the Titan on Titan melee is amazing. I caught a Titan's punch, ripped his arm off, then stuffed my gun into it's pilot area and took him out. That was beautiful.

Mafro

No. I loved having the sidearm as insurance when I was running low on ammo after a gunfight. Removing it is another baffling design decision.
I'm sure they actually made a point in the training part of TF1 that switching to the pistol rather than reloading your main weapon is a lot quicker in the heat of battle but I guess that's another thing they've forgotten.

B3N1

I'm sure they actually made a point in the training part of TF1 that switching to the pistol rather than reloading your main weapon is a lot quicker in the heat of battle but I guess that's another thing they've forgotten.

Yeah, that's been their thing since Call of Duty tutorials if I recall correctly.

ZSeba

Yep, I have to agree, TF2's matches look way too empty without minions, it's part of what made the first one special :/

Izuna

Banned
If this thread is any indication... Respawn have shot themselves in the foot.

Why are they promoting Pilot V. pilot footage?

I swear some Respawn peeps asked us in the Titanfall OT what we thought.

CoD fans won't stick to TF2 no matter what.

That much is sure. Battlefield fans certainly won't if COD players won't. That is why its baffling that they aren't targeting their already established fan base and hoping for good word of mouth. Instead, they are targeting...Nobody.

RulkezX

That much is sure. Battlefield fans certainly won't if COD players won't. That is why its baffling that they aren't targeting their already established fan base and hoping for good word of mouth. Instead, they are targeting...Nobody.

Probably sat around wondering why TF1 didn't set the world on fire and decided it wasn't enough like CoD (instead of launching exclusively on a console with a tiny install base)

Especially since a new CoD comes out a week later. I wish this game would get delayed to a March release like the first one and get some tweaks done and be ready for when people will have that CoD and BF1 fatigue.

Alienous

Lmao I still have issues with the game. I mean I'm addicted to the gameplay loop. Kick some ass>earn titan>call titan>kick even more ass>keep titan alive>repeat...I love mechs what can I say :/

I was calling out what I thought was a grappling hook pun, haha.

Chorazin

Oh man I finally got to play today, absolutely disappointing. I loved the first game and this just feels way off base. Slow everything, rare Titans unless you're fucking amazing at the game, horrible maps. This went from my most wanted game to fuck no.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Tried it again this morning.

Wow.

I can't believe I'm going to not buy a Titanfall sequel. I was basically sitting around waiting for a TF where the servers stayed full for more than 3 months....

and here we are. A game that will probably have less people on servers at the end of month 1.

charsace

Played a little bit of this. You really can'tt out run gunfire because your guy is too slow now. Part of the fun of titanfall was the speed that allowed you to out run gun fire from humans and Titans. Now the parkour feels like COD where you are sitting duck if seen. And hacking AI was a legit strat in the first game so its bad to see them gone. :(

In Titanfall 1 you felt like Spiderman with a lust for chaos and blood. In this you feel like a Blops 3 character with a few more movement options.

Catvoca

Banned
Call of Duty has been my go to Multiplayer fps for a long time and I was kinda excited to switch to Titanfall 2 this year (since I don't have an Xbox One I never got to play the first) but after trying this beta out, I'm left severely disappointed. They've certainly done nothing to convince me to get this over the other fall shooters.

Played a little bit of this. You really can'tt out run gunfire because your guy is too slow now. Part of the fun of titanfall was the speed that allowed you to out run gun fire from humans and Titans. Now the parkour feels like COD where you are sitting duck if seen. And hacking AI was a legit strat in the first game so its bad to see them gone. :(

In Titanfall 1 you felt like Spiderman with a lust for chaos and blood. In this you feel like a Blops 3 character with a few more movement options.

Honestly, the movement feels worse to me than Blops 3.

zou

Played some more, easily dominated the game with twice the score of the second player.

As soon as the match was over I turned off my xbox, game is so unbelievably slow and boring :///

Edit: Titans are weak as shit now, two clips of the mag launcher and they are down for the most part. Don't think I ever had so many titan kills in a single game in TF1. Managed to take down 2 titans with my titan on auto-pilot, pathetic.

zou

Oh and fuck the map design. I'm constantly out-of-bounds, often with no time to get back or I get stuck on some stupid tree. Also, scaling a structure and being out-of-bounds is just ridiculous.

Here are two clips which sum up my biggest disappointment with this game. The seemingly lack of Attrition and AI in most modes I can live with. Bounty is a decent mode once it gets going. Amped Hardpoint with the Titan buff is a bit better.

But this? It is what made the original game for me.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Dr Quincy M E/video/20766082

Both are after I've ejected from my Titan after a Titan on Titan engagement (with my Titan exploding).Both are me taking down a Titan as a pilot.

One is from Titanfall. One is from Titanfall 2.

The first clip is Titanfall 2. To take down the Titan I did a Rodeo, pulled out the battery. Auto jumped off. Grappled back on. Dropped a nade. Auto jumped off. Grappled again, another nade. Etc. Needed a little help to finish off, Titan down.

The second clip is original Titanfall. Used Shock nades to confuse the Titan. Unloaded my Anti Titan weapon on the Titan. Chased them down with stim. Used the walls to get a Rodeo. Titan released smoke. I jumped off. Did a wall hang. Fired off final few shots. Titan down.

Pilot V Titan combat was, for me, what Titanfall was all about. I could destroy pilots as a Titan and vice versa. A pilot could also destroy my Titan and vice versa. In this game, the Titan V Pilot engagement is just very dull from what I've seen and experienced.

Edit: and Dat Ssidewinder felt so damn good. Pleas tell me it is coming back?

Oh so I'm not crazy cause I vaguely remembered those videos and they're all I thought of while playing Titanfall 2. It's like they literally just went in reverse in terms of progress. Titanfall 1 feels like the more exciting and bigger sequel here. Titanfall 2 feels the the weaker first game.

Top Bottom