• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

Raide

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that adding the Titan timers back would help a lot of the issues I have with them. They're so rare that right now everyone focus fires on them when they do come down and combined with how easy they are to rodeo, they get taken out fast.

Agreed. I found myself getting my Titan and sneaking around more because I wanted a few more seconds running around. I did not feel powerful, it felt like I was just a big target. The fear of the Titan has gone.

3DShovel

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that adding the Titan timers back would help a lot of the issues I have with them. They're so rare that right now everyone focus fires on them when they do come down and combined with how easy they are to rodeo, they get taken out fast.

I wouldn't be against them bringing back the timer, but I think the current system is fine. I think the timer would help alleviate situations where you spawn and there are 3 enemy titans in close proximity. When it's on a timer I can wait it out and stand my ground and know that I'll get my Titan. In this system it can be very difficult to get out of spawn.

I did have a match where I was faced against 3 titans coming out of spawn and I managed to leapfrog them using the grappling hook.

Well said!

As stated by others, the AI component really was the life-blood/currency of TF1's economy. In essence at times, it felt like a frantic, yet fun arcade shooter where the player either had the option to play for score or play for kills in something like attrition.
Not to mention, it REALLY lended to the whole concept/feel of "player in the midst of a warzone" feel.
Also, because of the constant presence of AI, when a Pilot did show up, it ended up standing out more as here was this elite encounter you had to deal with on the battlefield. For me at least, I felt it played back into the actual lore of the universe.
Agreed. But it has to be really tough for Respawn to know what the majority want because I remember a ton of players complaining that they hated the AI in TF1. I wasn't one of them, but I saw it all the time. They either screwed up by listening to a loud, vocal minority. Or they made the change without any playerbase consideration, for other design purposes. I think the smartest thing they could do after this test is send out a survey for feedback. It would suck to make a big change again to find out those who want AI are in the minority this time around and piss off another chunk of your base in the process.

Vire

You jumped on the back and used your gun to shoot out the main panel.

You had to get out and shoot them. Or you could use the Electric Smoke to kill them.

As for the TTK, the more you move and the less you become predictable in movement, the higher your survivability.

Wrong wrong wrong.

The more you stay hidden camped in a corner in one of the interior buildings, the higher your survivability. Have 700$ in your pocket and the round is about to end? Don't run around outside that's for damn sure.

Yeah a bunch of morons who barely played the game (or didn't play at at all) complained about it. I'm sure a few dedicated players hated them, but I think most people realized they were worth having and made the game better.

3DShovel

Wrong wrong wrong.

The more you stay hidden camped in a corner in one of the interior buildings, the higher your survivability. Have 700$ in your pocket and the round is about to end? Don't run around outside that's for damn sure.

My favourite thing is when people think this is true and I jump into the building they're camping in and punch them in the back of the head and then deposit their bonus.

Camping doesn't work in this game, despite what you might think.

Izuna

Banned
Wrong wrong wrong.

I think his post referred to TF1

Edit: This is one thing I am excited to try. I wanna know if camping, at least, is still a very bad idea

Mrbob

I'm sure it's been said a million times and I don't want to dogpile on respawn because they seem like good people
BUT
I'm shocked at how titanfall 1 came out, then black ops iii released copying maneuverability stuff from titanfall. Now TF2 is copying black ops iii movement pretty much completely. The slide. The shitty double jump. I mean, wtf happened??? This type of stuff says to me that they had NO CONFIDENCE in their own product. Remember when EA was asked why bf1 and tf2 were releasing so close to each other and they said it was for different audiences? The way the game feels and plays tells a different story.

Do the BF and CoD audiences overlap? Don't know general question. From eas perspective they might be thinking they have BF and CoD this fall.

Purest 78

I keep reading how much so many seem to love the 1st TF. CAN those who loved it explain why the mp population died so fast?

It's really simple to me the game was to casual not rewarding for competitive players. Competitive players keep MP games thriving for years. Casual players will play a couple months and be done.

With that said I think Respawn wanted to showcase competitive play with this beta. Get competitive players on board after The casual Fest that was Tf1. I'm certain all the causal modes will be in the game and people are overreacting.

Yeah a bunch of morons who barely played the game (or didn't play at at all) complained about it. I'm sure a few dedicated players hated them, but I think most people realized they were worth having and made the game better.
They were like MOBA creeps. There was a reason they were there.

So dumb.
I keep reading how much so many seem to love the 1st TF. CAN those who loved it explain why the mp population died so fast?

It's really simple to me the game was to casual not rewarding for competitive players. Competitive players keep MP games thriving for years. Casual players will play a couple months and be done.

With that said I think Respawn wanted to showcase competitive play with this beta. Get competitive players on board after The casual Fest that was Tf1. I'm certain all the causal modes will be in the game and people are overreacting.
Xbox One exclusive, came out early in the gen too

DLC map packs

Limited Titan/Pilot customisation

Relatively easy to hit level cap

I don't think it had anything to do with "casuals vs competitives".

Vire

I think it would go a long way if they would just confirm that Attrition will be back in the game.

Raide

Wrong wrong wrong.

Well, the TTK tends to refer to your survivability during combat, not camping out in a corner 😃

Bounty is a different kettle of fish and you don't generate $700 just by hiding, not unless players just run around indoors like they are still playing CoD.

Do the BF and CoD audiences overlap? Don't know general question. From eas perspective they might be thinking they have BF and CoD this fall.
I play CoD, Battlefield, and TF. What always impresssed me is all the CoD games that tried to mimick the wall running amd climbing of TF could never make it as smooth and good as TF that came years and years before. But now sadly TF2 can't even get it right.

3DShovel

So dumb.
Now they're more integral to how the game plays. If I want to get ahead of the enemy team I can play the bounties. The enemy team will contest me because they want the payout as well. The combat happens where the objective is. That's how it should work. Not that I actively ignore the objective to get kills.

Spookie

TF2 isn't going to have a competitive community. Low TTK is the literal opposite of what you want out a competitive game.

3DShovel

I play CoD, Battlefield, and TF. What always impresssed me is all the CoD games that tried to mimick the wall running amd climbing of TF could never make it as smooth and good as TF that came years and years before. But now sadly TF2 can't even get it right.
Can you elaborate on this point? I'm wallrunning and flying all around the map just like I was in TF1, if not more thanks to the grappling hook. And it all is smooth as hell.

BO3 on the other hand is a clunky mess.

Now they're more integral to how the game plays. If I want to get ahead of the enemy team I can play the bounties. The enemy team will contest me because they want the payout as well. The combat happens where the objective is. That's how it should work. Not that I actively ignore the objective to get kills.
But it was already like that in attrition. You got points for literally everything you did and it made it feel like a real actual battle, with different squads and layers and enemies all duking it out in this one space and you can do whatever you want. Hack spectres, kill grunts, kill pilots, whatever - it all counts towards it and you don't have to go and camp in a corner near the end of a "wave" so that you don't lose whatever kill streak induced bonus you have pent up. It was pretty much impossible to not benefit your team in attrition, and it's very possible to do that here :/

Izuna

Banned

TF came out when BF4 and Ghosts were the other big FPS contenders, both were launch(?) games and the PS4 was THE console for those games. TF had a big problem where everyone insulted it as CoD with Mechs, but playing like CoD made it almost impossible to do good in.

Then, during it's peak, they released a match making patch around the time of it's first map dlc which not only split up the players, but made it really fucking horrible for solo players what were good at the game.

PC had tons of performance issues, including anything more than 60 fps even used to speed the game up etc. It was a mess on PC with no server lists etc. Nor any private matches until way after it's peak.

It was handled poorly.

Those who stayed, loved TF for what it was.

Played a bit of the beta, it indeed plays too close to CoD now, unfortunately.

The visuals and performance are a huge improvement over 1 on xbone though, if the game ends up underdelivering I hope they at least port the first to this new engine.

Vire

TF2 isn't going to have a competitive community. Low TTK is the literal opposite of what you want out a competitive game.

It makes reversals or two on ones needlessly difficult to pull off. If you look at something like Overwatch on Twitch, you constantly see these 1 vs 3 or 4 crazy kills that make it exciting to watch. In this, I feel like 90% of my kills against players are from a distance and when they aren't looking in my direction. It isn't even satisfying.

3DShovel

But it was already like that in attrition. You got points for literally everything you did and it made it feel like a real actual battle, with different squads and layers and enemies all duking it out in this one space and you can do whatever you want. Hack spectres, kill grunts, kill pilots, whatever - it all counts towards it and you don't have to go and camp in a corner near the end of a "wave" so that you don't lose whatever kill streak induced bonus you have pent up. It was pretty much impossible to not benefit your team in attrition, and it's very possible to do that here :/
The better and smarter team should always win. Campers are not winning games. At least it hasn't happened to me thus far.

The better and smarter team should always win. Campers are not winning games. At least it hasn't happened to me thus far.
It happened to me twice yesterday in a single match :/

I took out bounties, got about $700 each time, left my Titan and hid in a corner near the bank until the wave ended then ran straight to it. We won, by a very large margin.

It was fairly sparce on content to be honest. My online play group consisted of guys who played competitively in a lot of games. We tried titanfall and enjoyed it, but once you played it for so long, you saw everything you were going to see. I've never really heard anyone bitch about the gameplay mechanics. Maybe the AI, but that's it. It was a well made game in terms of gameplay, maybe the best that I've ever played. Using a Titan had a sense of scale that's just missing now.

I adore the original, but even I could only play for so long due to lack of variety. It lacked that carrot on a stick progression that keeps people thinking they're getting value for their time. Destiny is a fantastic example of how that's handled (not that Respawn need to take it that far), or battlefield, even COD. Halo with it's Warzone mode as well and REQs is another good example. The masses enjoy a sense of progression.

Purest 78

I'm talking about competitive in a sense of matching wits with a human being, and earning things. Cod has a fast TTK and is played for years.

daegan

I liked the first game but I didn't stick with it bc I don't play a ton of shooters.

I like this a lot too, even though it feels a bit different. I'm excited to play the single-player, and I like bounty hunt a LOT because someone like me who isn't great head-to-head with other pilots can contribute a lot.

Gorillaz

I'm talking about competitive in a sense of matching wits with a human being, and earning things. Cod has a fast TTK and is played for years.
Cod didn't put traversal first like titan fall did. They just added wall running as window dressing

TF needs higher ttk because of the nature of its traversal being so cat and mouse like. Cod hasn't been like that in years.

Mafro

Xbox console exclusivity when the PS4 was a lot more popular
Lacking in content t launch (maps, modes, customisation etc)
New maps were paid DLC which was extremely risky for a new IP and turned out to be the wrong choice

Those were the main ones.

Cod didn't put traversal first like titan fall did. They just added wall running as window dressing

TF needs higher ttk because of the nature of its traversal being so cat and mouse like. Cod hasn't been like that in years.
Yup. There's pretty much no point in using some of the traversal abilities because you're so vulnerable while doing so now.

Wallrunning pilot - goodbye
Slow ass grappling hook pilot - nice knowing you
Pilot desperately trying not to get seen while running through the (strangely) flat, empty, cover less grasslands - rip

It's much better to hang back with a ranged weapon and slowly pick off people you see coming near.

Purest 78

So dumb.

DLC map packs

All my friends including myself who played TF all shared the same opinion. Movement and gunplay felt great Fun for a short stent. But we just didn't get satisfaction to keep coming back do to how casual it was.

Finally got teammates who knew what to do with batteries

I hate it when jerks ride titans when I'm trying to put in a battery. Wish there was a way to eject them lol

3DShovel

It happened to me twice yesterday in a single match :/

I took out bounties, got about $700 each time, left my Titan and hid in a corner near the bank until the wave ended then ran straight to it. We won, by a very large margin.

I'm not sure why this is a problem though. Depositing $700 takes a while, and if the other team was smart they would've been at the bank already to kill you as you deposited.

I've won most of my games by a pretty wide margin too and it was never because my team camped. When I went to the bank I made sure to be there after the bounty ended so I could deposit ASAP. That's playing smart. I would also throw an electric smoke blanket around the bank if I knew an enemy was camping there. There are options.

I played for months and months but for me it was lack of overall content, the maps which were released as packs you could buy became super cheap and then free after a while and they patched in a wave based horde style mode and those really helped, but it was a little too late.

The game was great it just ran out of things to do, even reaching gen 9 nothing changed, it was just unlocking mods for the carbine 9 times in a row.

*edit* Titanfall 1 is a game similar to quake 3 where you replay the same content and become a master at doing so, but after a while you need a break from it because you see the same stuff again and again even if it is really fun to learn and master.

Papacheeks

Banned

TF came out when BF4 and Ghosts were the other big FPS contenders, both were launch(?) games and the PS4 was THE console for those games. TF had a big problem where everyone insulted it as CoD with Mechs, but playing like CoD made it almost impossible to do good in.

Then, during it's peak, they released a match making patch around the time of it's first map dlc which not only split up the players, but made it really fucking horrible for solo players what were good at the game.

PC had tons of performance issues, including anything more than 60 fps even used to speed the game up etc. It was a mess on PC with no server lists etc. Nor any private matches until way after it's peak.

It was handled poorly.

Would love a source for your PC comments? Maybe during its beta. But there were a lot of patches that smoothed it out. And your comment on patch that split up player base makes no sense. Unless I just didn't see these changes iv put over 700 hrs and never saw the issues you did. Dlc and low content is why it died on PC.

Jagernaut

It was handled poorly.

Isn't this the problem? Seems like not enough people stayed. Respawn was probably not happy with player retention which is why they are changing things up.

Bizazedo

A bit of news on the Smart Pistol

https://youtu.be/_9Wz9NSAZc4

It returns as a boost option, sounds like a practical way to keep it around without it being OP.
It's been said, but reiterating, the smart pistol was never, ever OP. If it was exactly the same as it was in TF1, it'd be even worse here, due to the lowered TTK.

The reason the grappling hook should be default is because it would seem the maps are designed around using it. I can't even imagine trying to traverse Homestead without it.

Agreed. It really almost feels like they slowed down movement to justify the hook.

So dumb.

DLC map packs

Pretty much

Titanfall 1 for all intents and purposes, seemed like it BARELY happened and Vince Z and the rest of the Respawn crew busted their asses to finish it. I'm not surprised once it was out the door that they weren't necessarily ready to go full DICE with the content support as they were already a relatively small team.

If you followed or read about it's development, you'll see that The original Titanfall REALLY was lightning in a bottle

I wonder if homestead really was a LTS focused map. That would explain things I guess lol

anyone have any footage of the 3rd map?? How is it comparison to these 2

.la1n

I am not enjoying this and I loved the original. It's feeling way too ground based, might as well be another Call of Duty game. I'll stick to playing the first game unless they are seriously revamping before launch. Assuming they do, it still won't fix the abysmal map layouts. I can't for the life of me figure out how they went so wrong with this sequel.

The reason the grappling hook should be default is because it would seem the maps are designed around using it. I can't even imagine trying to traverse Homestead without it.

But that's just homestead. We are hoping its just the exception

If the rest of the maps are like tf1, then the hook wouldn't be as pronounced for maneuverability

If the hook is nade universal, they would need to nerf something like camo.

You would see constant sonar, camo, and probably stim. That's a very weak meta.

The hook is a great pick, but the occassional sonar makes some playstyles valuable. The cloak has a great buff that would probably get toned down if the hook was standard

Alienous

I wonder if homestead really was a LTS focused map. That would explain things I guess lol

anyone have any footage of the 3rd map?? How is it comparison to these 2

I don't think they've shown it yet, but I did hear them refer to it as 'open' in an interview, so ... fingers crossed.

EDIT:
"Forward Base Kodai, which is super cool, a little bit based off of a level in single-player but really nice open environment with a great topside to it - it almost has two layers entirely where you'll see all of these different battles take place"

EDIT 2:
Turns out there is footage of the map.

But that's just homestead. We are hoping its just the exception

If the rest of the maps are like tf1, then the hook wouldn't be as pronounced for maneuverability

If the hook is nade universal, they would need to nerf something like camo.

You would see constant sonar, camo, and probably stim. That's a very weak meta.

The hook is a great pick, but the occassional sonar makes some playstyles valuable. The cloak has a great buff that would probably get toned down if the hook was standard

Not to mention there's ALL SORTS of different routes to take in Homestead that don't place you in the open. Just look around. I'm constantly able to make it to the other side of the map for at the beginning of a Hardpoint match without ever being spotted :)

Top Bottom