• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 Multiplayer Technical Test Impressions (XB1/PS4)

Izuna

Banned
I'm playing right now. Shit's about to get competitive. If not, then I'll switch to my monitor and wreck.

Respawn, watch this space.

Mafro

Wallrunning and titan counter do seem a bit faster but the TTK still feels like bullshit and I'm not buying their reasoning of blaming it on the amped weapons thing.

Four games in and I've yet to see this new map they've apparently added.

Izuna

Banned
The movement isn't even the big issue, this game straight up plays like garbage. These maps are trash, playing as a Titan is not even comparable... and Bounty Hunt <<<<<<<<<< Attrition.

=(

j-wood

So how does this "networks" thing work? If I join the GAF network, does that mean in matchmaking that's the only people I'll be matched up with?

Wallrunning and titan counter do seem a bit faster but the TTK still feels like bullshit and I'm not buying their reasoning of blaming it on the amped weapons thing.

Yep. It's still way too fast to have an engaging fire fight. I need to go back to the original to see if the first is actually that fast, but it damn sure doesn't seem like it. I made this response in one of the other threads (it's kinda poorly written but it gets my point across):

"We think the abundance of Amped Weapons is a large contributor to lower time to kill. We’re still adjusting individual weapon balance for ship."

That may be part of it, but the kill times are still pretty damn fast without it.

For a game that stresses mobility so much, I think such quick ttk's can have the opposite effect that was probably intended by the developers. If longer ttk's were scratched off the list because developers realized it would be too easy for very skilled players to attack and evade (or for another sensible reason maybe), then that's all fine and good, but the problem is it contradicts that idea of "predictability" that was aforementioned by Respawn. When you have longer kill times, the predictability comes at being able to assess the gunfight that has been started by either you or the opposing team and then dealing with it accordingly. It also let's you have more of an undpredictable map design like Titanfall 1, but still have the actual predictability during the battle regardless, since getting the first shot or getting jumped won't be as important of a factor in coming out victorious. So basically, reduced ttk leads to way more unpredictability. This is a reason COD pisses me off. The map designs are ultra simple, but getting shot in the back is constant, and it's really hard to be able to do anything about that.

Without that time, there's compromised "battle" strategy and more of a stress on twitch aim and good map positioning. In my mind this partially contradicts core strengths of a high mobility fps, namely the ability to utilize that mobility in order to come out victorious during (and not only before or after) a fire-fight.

jet1911

Titan spawns way faster now, good. Bounty Hunt is still a really bad game mode to replace attrition with. I just played 3 matches and all that time I was thinking 'I wish this was attrition" :/

New map is alright.

Thewonandonly

It feels so much better now that you get momentum. I always loved slinging across the map then launching my self over a pilot and killing him. Grappling hook is a great addition to the faster movement when launching myself. Also the Titans feels faster and you get them way faster so that's a plus.

One thing that does worry me it the maps they kind of suck :( boomtown is a decent Mabey good map but the other 2 are garbage...

Will buy titanfall now for sure sadly I had my doubts but with a good campaign and a faster multiplayer which I really needed I'm getting it. Still hope the maps are better but I really don't think they will be :(

Keeping your first Titan for an entire match isn't really difficult. Knowing your surroundings help but it's more players not knowing how to deal with them

Sou Da

Keeping your first Titan for an entire match isn't really difficult. Knowing your surroundings help but it's more players not knowing how to deal with them

He pretty much always had a battery. Also he has a good point, every map should have have those hard light walls.

Xater

Titans are definitely more prevalent now which is good. I actually like the new map. Still that is 1 out of 3 which is not great. I am also still not liking Bounty Hunt. Attrition is way better.

Jawmuncher

The changes have helped. Titan timer alone has really upped the amount of Titans in games which is good. Still not quite over the fence, but it's at least much better gameplay wise than last week.

Bounty Hunt and Maps still need work though. The lane idea for maps is what's hurting it. I feel like if they just copied and pasted some maps from 1 that a few more issues would go along with it.

xviper

played the new map, still very bad, empty spaces, parkour is useless, lots of campers, TTK is still like COD, Titans still weak, no XP leveling up system(which means no Challenges) played 2 games and bored to death already, i couldn't get bored with TF1 beta and reached max level in 2 hours, it was addicting and amazing

RIP Titanfall 2

Thewonandonly

The changes have helped. Titan timer alone has really upped the amount of Titans in games which is good. Still not quite over the fence, but it's at least much better gameplay wise than last week.

Bounty Hunt and Maps still need work though. The lane idea for maps is what's hurting it. I feel like if they just copied and pasted some maps from 1 that a few more issues would go along with it.
Ya I hate the lanes so much.....

Alienous

Yeah, the changes they have made have helped.

I don't have a big problem with the TTK. I'm more inclined to blame a few popular overpowered weapons than the base life-amount.

But the maps aren't good, imo. The most recent one just doesn't afford many opportunities to stay mobile and effective.

Yeah, the changes they have made have helped.

I don't have a big problem with the TTK. I'm more inclined to blame a few popular overpowered weapons than the base life-amount.

But the maps aren't good, imo. The most recent one just doesn't afford many opportunities to stay mobile and effective.

Which weapons do you think are OP? Curious not judging.

Izuna

Banned
Talk about knee jerk games been up what? All of an hour?

Real Impressions now:

I will give it a 7/Titanfall so far. That could improve to an 8 if I get some decent weapons for the Titan.

I enjoyed the beta so far, still like it more than any other franchise so I'm back into it. But I have to complain about a few things if people would like to chime in too:

1. Movement is all good, honestly -- I don't know if this is due to the changes but my only issue is how far laterally I bounce of a wall when I wall jump, but maybe I can get used to this one.

2. Pilot Highlighting -- I don't really get it. Closer up, sure, but I don't want to be spotted so easily when I eject. Maybe put a dynamic cut-off for this?

3. Long-distance shooting -- Maybe this is a core design choice, but I can't really shoot people from far away anymore. Bit of a shame because it was really nice to be able to pick stationary people off from afar with the CAR but, oh well.

4. Maps are SHITE -- Seriously. ALL OF THESE MAPS ARE SANDTRAP LIKE. It's like Respawn saw how much I complained about that dirt and made them all like it. Come on, please let me know these are the only 3 trash maps in the game.

5. Titan Combat -- I like the bonus cores actually. I really like it, but why are the weapons so weak against Pilots and especially AI? If anything, please make the weapons more damaging against AI. side note: PLEASE make the laser home in on grunts/pilots like it did in R1: It feels wrong that I have harder targeting with the beam Laser Shot than the Charge Rifle.

6. Third-person animations -- It's jarring. Maybe you thought first-person was, but third-person is as jarring as entering into the back of Doomguy's head at the start of Doom 3. It's disorientating and I don't understand it.

--

minor note, I'm not a fan of the map having a Destiny-like ping, but whatever.

Screenshot-Original.png

--

I'm still the fucking MVP bitches.

Cobalt Izuna for Xbox guys, if you want to party up.

Alienous

Which weapons do you think are OP? Curious not judging.

The default ones. The R-101(?), the Spitfire. The fast rates of fire and low recoil make them effective at any range. The CAR and the second LMG feel more situational - you have to use the CAR in close range, for instance. But it is made ineffective by the R-101 being so good.

Movement changes feel better but the maps are still fucking awful and Bounty Hunt is pretty terrible too. Very, very curious to see what they consider a "more traditional Titanfall map" because holy shit are the 3 in the tech test not Titanfall maps.

Real Impressions now:

I will give it a 7/Titanfall so far. That could improve to an 8 if I get some decent weapons for the Titan.

I enjoyed the beta so far, still like it more than any other franchise so I'm back into it. But I have to complain about a few things if people would like to chime in too:

1. Movement is all good, honestly -- I don't know if this is due to the changes but my only issue is how far laterally I bounce of a wall when I wall jump, but maybe I can get used to this one.

2. Pilot Highlighting -- I don't really get it. Closer up, sure, but I don't want to be spotted so easily when I eject. Maybe put a dynamic cut-off for this?

3. Long-distance shooting -- Maybe this is a core design choice, but I can't really shoot people from far away anymore. Bit of a shame because it was really nice to be able to pick stationary people off from afar with the CAR but, oh well.

4. Maps are SHITE -- Seriously. ALL OF THESE MAPS ARE SANDTRAP LIKE. It's like Respawn saw how much I complained about that dirt and made them all like it. Come on, please let me know these are the only 3 trash maps in the game.

5. Titan Combat -- I like the bonus cores actually. I really like it, but why are the weapons so weak against Pilots and especially AI? If anything, please make the weapons more damaging against AI. side note: PLEASE make the laser home in on grunts/pilots like it did in R1: It feels wrong that I have harder targeting with the beam Laser Shot than the Charge Rifle.

6. Third-person animations -- It's jarring. Maybe you thought first-person was, but third-person is as jarring as entering into the back of Doomguy's head at the start of Doom 3. It's disorientating and I don't understand it.

--

minor note, I'm not a fan of the map having a Destiny-like ping, but whatever.

Screenshot-Original.png

--

I'm still the fucking MVP bitches.

Cobalt Izuna for Xbox guys, if you want to party up.

Uh oh. You're gonna start telling us our opinions don't matter now that you're top tier. You've already started on the path!

:p

Symbiotx

Four games in and I've yet to see this new map they've apparently added.

I was afraid of that as well. I never thought amped weapons was the issue.

The default ones. The R-101(?), the Spitfire. The fast rates of fire and low recoil make them effective at any range. The CAR and the second LMG feel more situational - you have to use the CAR in close range, for instance. But it is made ineffective by the R-101 being so good.

I agree. The R201 is pretty much the only weapon you need in the game. It needs tweaking.

Absolutely loving the game overall. That said... man do i hope there are better maps. Fuck. Kodai is OK but did they every kill the parkour paths. You CAN chain some stuff but it's got to be the grapple that's totally opened up all spaces. If given a choice id remove the grapple to have better parkour setups.

xviper

the new map for some reason reminded me of the worst map in Titanfall 1, Training Ground

i see lots of people complaining about movement, honestly i don't see any difference between TF1 and TF2 movement, i believe people think it's slow because of the maps, they feel like they aren't designed for parkour, try Practice and see for yourself that the movement is as good as TF1's, but everthing else is.... worse

i'll try BF1 beta and if it's as good as BC2, i will buy only BF1, if it's like Campersfield 3 and BF4, then i may get both TF2 and BF1

Top Bottom