• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toukiden (Vita/PSP by Omega Force) site opens + screenshots!

LMN

It appears that some people already got the game, according to this player, there is 12 boss monsters + 12 palette/color swap, overall 24 boss monsters, not so bad for a new IP, though I personally wish there are more. 2 more days, and the game is officially out, can't wait for see more impression from Japanese player =P

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I got the game and am enjoying it. Looks nice on the VITA too.

Still cant decide what to go as with my main weapon. The katana is the easiest to use, all the others will take some time getting used to

LMN

I got the game and am enjoying it. Looks nice on the VITA too.

Still cant decide what to go as with my main weapon. The katana is the easiest to use, all the others will take some time getting used to

Cool =), can you tell us more about your impression on the game mechanic and the depth of customization level? I would love to play the game, but since I can't read Japanese, I'm waiting for US release.

DigitalOp

Banned
Wow.. this turned out pretty damn cool.

Image Quality is stunning on Vita. Vita's lineup may be a little anemic quantity wise... but every release so far is looking like sheer polished quality.

Im diggin it

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Japanese people seems to be really liking this game. Really good reviews on amazon
http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009DYR7A0/857erd6-22/ref=nosim/
Ha ha, yeah. That's what made me buy the game - I was checking both Gundam Breaker and Toukiden's reviews on Thursday and the latter were surprisingly positive.

I've finished the second chapter yesterday. It's a good game, but still has all the off-putting elements of the hunting genre - having to kill the same stuff over and over and over again with the area being the only difference... And that's just story mode.
If you can stomach that and are a fan of games with the high level of polish, you should definitely grab this title.

Some of the later locales:
iblLRWcCDdjgWi.jpg

ivg62PGVKljuL.jpg

itgenrwdHqYid.jpg

icnQNkvphDG89.jpg

While I know you're just a drive-by poster, junior, let's humor you. There's a demo of Toukiden on PSN. Have you played it? Have you even played any of the PSP/Vita Monhan clones? Most of them feature gameplay elements that would be really sick if Capcpom implemented them into MH.

Parakeetman

Since a few people here got the game (including me), maybe we should make an Import Impressions thread, like with Soul Sacrifice.

My screenshots so far.

Id be all for an impressions thread. Most def

I'll gladly eat crow based on my earlier impressions from the first demo.

Having a lot of fun with the final game.

Btw does the game allow for over the internet play? Never tried that yet, but since you are in the same country figured might be one way to get a small online group going to runaround causing mayhem lol. I need to advance a bit more in the game as am still running around with the newbie armor set. Though got myself a flame katana currently.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
There is online mp, but there were a lot of complaints that it's bugged.
I tried searching for a room yesterday around 2AM and 2 minutes ago (4PM), but the search showed maybe 6-7 rooms from which 2 didn't have passwords and I failed to join both of them.
Quick Search does nothing, lol.
I hope they'll patch it asap, if it's a software problem.

Parakeetman

There is online mp, but there were a lot of complaints that it's bugged.
I tried searching for a room yesterday around 2AM and 2 minutes ago (4PM), but the search showed maybe 6-7 rooms from which 2 didn't have passwords and I failed to join both of them.
Quick Search does nothing, lol.
I hope they'll patch it asap, if it's a software problem.

Damn thats too bad. D: Seriously do hope that it gets patched since the game is all about co-op after all! At least this has a SP story to go along with it unlike MH where its FOREVER ALONE if you arent co-oping it haha.

So who here is gonna start up the impressions thread?

Or we gonna take this one over as it?

Yasumi

Banned
Has there been any news on how this has been selling?

From the Media Create thread.

Retailers first impressions:

GamesMaya:

Top 5 in this shop:
1. [PS3] Gundam Breaker
2. [PSV] Toukiden
3. [3DS] New Etrian Odyssey
4. [PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy
5. [PS3] Date a Live

Azalyn:

1. [PS3] Gundam Breaker – 40 copies sold (sold out, more stock available tomorrow)
2. [PSV] Toukiden – 26 copies sold (sold out, good start)
3. [3DS] New Etrian Odyssey – 15 copies sold (a little less than EOIV but according to expectations)
4. [PS3] Atelier Escha & Logy – 8 copies sold (less than the last entry, he thinks is bad timing)
5. [PS3] Date a Live – 7 copies sold (sold out)
6. [PSP] Toukiden – 7 copies sold
A little of movement for Digimon, Skyrim and Memories off.

Osakaking:

Gundam Breaker 90% sellthrough in this store. More stock available tomorrow. Good sales.
Toukiden sold more than expected. Vita and PSP versions, both sold out.
Digimon:Redegitize sold out and the next shipment is unknown.
New Etrian Odyssey goes slowly in this store.

Yosipooh:

Good sales this week compared to last weeks.

Gundam Breaker sold out too. More stock available tomorrow, but probably not enough for the weekend.
New Etrian Odyssey is the second one and also sold out. Some people were worried about the Index bankruptcy news.
Next Toukiden. Vita version nice, probably not stock enough for the weekend.

LMN

Hi guys, I'm really sorry for bumping this thread but when can we have an impression thread for this game? I would love to create one, but I'm still a Junior =/

Spiegel

Hi guys, I'm really sorry for bumping this thread but when can we have an impression thread for this game? I would love to create one, but I'm still a Junior =/

Not many people have the game it seems, so you can post your impression here if you have played it.

From what I read this game seems to be selling well and has gotten good reviews. Can this fill the Monster Hunter void on the Vita?!

So, how good is it compared to Monahan? Bought a Vita at the weekend for Soul Sacrifice and Dragon's Crown. And I'm interested in this as well.
Will basic nihongo do?

Parakeetman

Id do an impression thread, but am a bit too stuck with other titles in the backlog so am more behind in the game than the other guys here. Can tell they are much farther from the screenshots shown.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I've sold my copy on Sunday. The production values were high, but the repetition is what kills the whole hunting genre for me. After having to kill the same boss for the 5th or 6th time in the story, I quit.
The fact that the multiplayer still seems to be bugged didn't help it - I tried connecting to various people around 10 times, but couldn't enter any room.
It's a good game, just not for me.

LMN

I wrote up some impressions in here: http://www.japanator.com/go-west-week-fifty-one-the-floodgates-open-28987.phtml

I've really been digging it so far. About ten hours into it.

Still can't get over how pretty the character models are.

Thanks for the impression =), I have been following this game since the first demo, which is indeed bad, but strangely it's also the one that make me interested in this game. Having try all the demo myself and hearing all these impressions for the full game, I can't wait for this game to come to the west (in retail format please XD).

Tailzo

I tried the demo at a store in Akihabara. I played as a guy with punching attacks. I agree about the image quality.

ZeroAKA

I played the new demo, and while the game feels a lot better, some things are still bothering me. These conflicting opinions aren't making my decision any easier.

How repetitive is Toukiden compared to Soul Sacrifice? That game also recycled bosses a few times.

cyborg009

Banned
Multiplayer does seem to be an issue when I played the demo myself. And compare that to Soul Sacrifice which worked flawlessly.

Parakeetman

I played the new demo, and while the game feels a lot better, some things are still bothering me. These conflicting opinions aren't making my decision any easier.

How repetitive is Toukiden compared to Soul Sacrifice? That game also recycled bosses a few times.

Though at least Soul Sacrifice as much as I hate that game is giving out a bunch of free DLC that added new monsters.
The hunting genre itself gameplay is repetitive due to having to harvest mats for upgrading equipment. So if its something fresh that you want, this really isnt something Id suggest buying.
While all the weapons are quite distinct, its still to the core hunting action, which means doing a lot of the same over and over while enjoying the gameplay. But at least there is a story to go along with it too just like Soul Sacrifice.

Just did a quick look at a Japanese wiki for the game and there seems to be 21 types of large monsters. Which are considered the boss class I suppose. Though within the 21 there are some doubled up types with the elemental resistances being different. So numbers of actual original ones are lower than 21. Not really surprising since most games of this genre usually start out low in count with unique boss types anyways. But the quality in this title is most def here and does not feel as half baked as Soul Sacrifice did to me. Which was one of the reasons why I wound up selling the game even as much as I really did like the story and boss monster designs.

Top Bottom