• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion runs at 1080/60 on PS4, 900/60 on Xbox One

Atlas157

It only tells some of the story. What it does to get the resolution up to 1080p is more complex and technically challenging than the up scaling we see in other games. Reprojection is a corner cut, and it isn't proper 1080p, but its image quality is better than even 900p upscaled games imho.

Oh I see. Thanks for the info.

HoodWinked

redlynx owned by ubi

ubi has consistently released 1080p ps4 / 900p xb1. oh fine no tin foil hats when its the other way huh!

Nobody ever made a fuss about the Xbox360 games being sub 720p.

What's changed?

Oh right, system wars.

Do you remember when last gen came out. The majority of people I knew still hard crts and there really was no main stream acceptance of native 1080p picture quality. Most people didnt know, care, or thought it was a gimmick.

Start of this gen. What do most people have. 1080p capable televisions.

Public perception of image quality over the last 10 years has changed dramstically.

In my little world anyway

I'm genuinely curious how many people lambasting the Xbox One version actually plan on buying any version of the game.

It's all too easy to run into an Xbox One resolution thread and shout 'embarrassing'.

I'll ignore your patronising tone and answer.

I prefer the ease of use, the added media functionality and the controller when using the Xbox One.

Don't you have both systems.Mine as well get the ps4 version since its better.

What's changed?

Oh right, system wars.
almost no one owned a 720p native set. The IQ difference between 720p and sub 720p resolutions was not as significant as the difference between 900p and 1080p on a native 1080p panel.

remember most HD ready '720p' panels weren't 720p, but 768p.

Cynn

Sad. Really seems like almost every 3rd party XBox One game is going to be sub 1080p. I figured Trials would deliver because it was always optimized so well on the 360.

Just imagine in the future as more complex and taxing games release that even the PS4 has to drop res for. 900p is probably the best it will ever get for X1.

Huh. Didn't expect that. I'd be curious to know what intensive processes are running in this game that make this disparity necessary.

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't think this will be the case though. Well, I know racing/puzzle/sports games aren't that demanding. But, these versions had previous generation couterparts (most of them). What will happen when these types of games demand more graphically? like that UFC game that has those amazing character models.

What I hope is that the 60 fps standard remains, I like smooth gameplay.

(I really don't care too much about res, that's the first thing I lower on my pc games when I don't get the framerate I want with all the bells and whistles)

The games will be better looking and more visually demanding as the gen moves along. Developers will find ways to improve their games as they always do thoughout the course of a gen.

If anything, I would say that the cross gen games are holding back PS4/Xbox One versions. Less time to focus on the versions for the new consoles alongside the games not being fully made in mind with the improved power of the new consoles.

That's why I am looking forward to the point in which cross gen games will stop being made.

boeso

X1 peeps, would you have preferred 1080p 30fps or 900p 60fps in regards to the effect of the X1 upscaler? Or has that crushed-sharperner been sorted?

Just imagine in the future as more complex and taxing games release that even the PS4 has to drop res for. 900p is probably the best it will ever get for X1.
is there any evidence that average resolutions went down over the Gen last time around? I've never seen such evidence.

theWB27

You're just repeating what I said.

A new generation of consoles. 1080p should be the standard.
It has been a standard with PC monitoris, blu-ray movies and HD TV content for a good while.

Why would anyone buy Blu-rays. I mean, DVD quality is fine too right? Just a lil' fuzzy.

IDK....I haven't bought a non Blu-ray movie since I got my PS3 in 07...
I get it : )

Nags

Banned
Whaaaaaat? Xbone can only run this game at 900p?

Pfffffff hahahahahahhahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Seriously? Oh fuck, I can't breath. What a piece of shit of a system.

ethomaz

Banned
I wondered that for awhile as well, until I listened to the latest IGN Unlocked Xbox podcast. Turns out Turn 10's Forza 5 was the "go to game" for testing out the tools on the Xbox One, so Turn 10 pretty much had full access right from the get go with the Xbox One and got tons of support to get the game going 1080p/60FPS.

Something to that effect, I guess.
They did serious sacrifices to reach that...

And racing games are the less demanding genre of games... GT4 was 1080i@60fps on PS2 for example.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Either: A. Devs didn't bother to put in any effort with the Xbox One version (like many other devs)

B. The development tools haven't matured enough and/or the devs haven't figured out how to use the ESRAM effectively

You left out option C breh.

Pelydr

mediocrity at its best

What's changed?

Oh right, system wars.

Are you really asking why people are upset the console that costs more produces worse graphics than its competitor? Seriously?

StoopKid

What's changed?

Oh right, system wars.

166.gif

Is it really considered lazy if they put the same amount of effort into both ports but ended up with only being able to reach 900p on xb1 vs 1080p on ps4?

Or does it only count as a genuine effort when both are running equally even though the hardware clearly doesn't line up as such.

Bgamer90

Banned
X1 peeps, would you have preferred 1080p 30fps or 900p 60fps in regards to the effect of the X1 upscaler? Or has that crushed-sharperner been sorted?

A game like Trials needs to be 60 FPS. Would never want to play the game in 30 FPS.

Also, the "extra sharpness" filter of games under 1080p was removed in an update a few months ago (February if I remember correctly).

Seanspeed

Banned
Why did they take that tag off you, it was so fitting.
A tag where somebody took something I said out of context about Youtube footage(which is why the tag was taken away)?

Yes, that's very fitting here. :/

Comments like this show more than ever that some people just want to see things burn.

My point was that the 360 Trials games were also sub 'standard of the day' in terms of resolution. I seriously don't remember anybody ever caring or making a deal about it. But since the PS4 version is better, suddenly its 'sad' and totally awful.

I don't know. I mean, I have neither console. I can play on PC where I don't have to worry about this sort of thing, but I just find the attitude towards resolution and framerate and whatnot seems to change when its a matter of pride between consoles. Or in other words - console wars.

Either: A. Devs didn't bother to put in any effort with the Xbox One version (like many other devs)

B. The development tools haven't matured enough and/or the devs haven't figured out how to use the ESRAM effectively
C. The devs are trolling people like you because they love seeing the ridiculous reactions.

The game doesn't seem very demanding.
Given that games like that already have to run at 900p I'm not to optimistic for Watchdogs running at 900p on XboxOne. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be 720p.

Teletraan1

Banned
After reading some replies in this thread, i'm really glad that I don't give a shit about something as trivial as 1080p vs. 900p.

Thanks for the update. I usually just skip threads with topics I don't care about.

Glad I was better informed this generation. Had to endure these worse ports last gen.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Huh. Didn't expect that. I'd be curious to know what intensive processes are running in this game that make this disparity necessary.

It's not really about how complex the visuals are, or whatever. Geometry complexity has pretty much no effect on this, for example. It's about the simple fact that the XBO doesn't have enough fast memory for 1080p when a reasonably advanced and modern rendering solution is being used. You just can't fit all the render data you need in those 32 MB of eSRAM, and the DDR3 memory is too slow for this. So you either use a simpler rendering solution (like Forza), or you lower the resolution so that your stuff fits. PS4 doesn't have this problem, thanks to all of its memory being fast. There you can go crazy with your render target sizes, on the XBO you can't.

Bgamer90

Banned
Yeah and Xbone is already struggling. Doesn't look good.

I (again) don't understand why people say this. Games get more demanding and visually improve as a gen moves on... Things don't go the opposite direction.

It's like saying the Xbox 360 wasn't a "true next gen" console for its time back during its first two years simply based on the sub-720p exclusives and multiplats like GUN and Tony Hawk Wasteland.

With this, I think we can finally put the lazy devs excuse to rest. No amount of optimization is going to make up for a suboptimal hardware design.

Shin-Ra

There are games that don't upscale at all like Rayman Legends that still have crushed blacks on Xbone.

They did serious sacrifices to reach that...

And racing games are the less demanding genre of games... GT4 was 1080i@60fps on PS2 for example.
lolwhat. No.

Syrus

Banned
Whaaaaaat? Xbone can only run this game at 900p?

Pfffffff hahahahahahhahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Seriously? Oh fuck, I can't breath. What a piece of shit of a system.

I come to GAF to not have these kinds of posts. Go to gamespot or somewhere else please

Hyb

Banned
While it might seem like that is relatable, it isn't.

For me it is. You cant say "900p is going the max of the XB1" after 5 months.
As some games are running at 1080p and we probably have another 5.5 years to go.
I dont judge a console to early and i dont give it up also to early. Otherwise i missed alot of great games on the PS3 and great times.

Top Bottom