• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump risks major diplomatic dispute with China after speaking with Taiwan's prez

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKK

This is actually a good thing. Just because you don't agree with Trump's general politics doesn't mean that everything that he does is wrong.

Let's support the democratically elected government of Taiwan instead of the single party dictatorship of China.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Who cares if China isolates the US? China will get fucked without the US. The USSR tried to survive without the US, and they collapsed!

After half a century.

Oh shit...

I'm actually for open communication among world leaders and don't think we should be beholden to China's perspective on Taiwan, so - without really knowing the potential consequences of this - I'm actually glad for the breach. We need to be talking with everyone.

On the other hand, sometime soon Trump is going to really step in it because of his clear ignorance of international relations, and create a huge mess. (If he hasn't already.)

Well he could start by selecting his Secretary of State. But yes you are correct, the President of the United States has the right to pick up the phone and talk with anyone he likes. China can't tell our President who he is allowed to talk to.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The fact that our President is supposed to defer to the Chinese government before being allowed to take a phone call from Taiwan is pretty pathetic.

China is propping up North Korea, who threatens to nuke us every Tuesday. But we can't so much as talk to an island full of people who fled the mainland.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Diplomacy is a subtle game. In the US, a simple phone call isn't seen as a faux-pas. But did you know that in China, grabbing a woman by the pussy can be considered insulting? It's important to learn of these cultural differences. Mexico accidentally stirred the ire of Trump when they sent an envoy of rapists to the US.

Erevador

Trump just changed what has been US policy since 1979. Whatever your feelings about China's treatment of Taiwan (and mine are strong) it is a radical move for a president-elect who is not yet in office to make.

Slo

Diplomacy is a subtle game. In the US, a simple phone call isn't seen as a faux-pas. But did you know that in China, grabbing a woman by the pussy can be considered insulting? It's important to learn of these cultural differences. Mexico accidentally stirred the ire of Trump when they sent an envoy of rapists to the US.

I think we all learned a little bit today.

JPLMD

People over reacting to all of this. China likely won't care Obama sold how many billions of weapons to Taiwan? China didn't do shit.

This is a funny post and I really want to laugh. But I just don't think I have it in me anymore.

BKK

Trump just changed what has been US policy since 1979. Whatever your feelings about China's treatment of Taiwan (and mine are strong) it is a radical move for a president-elect who is not yet in office to make.

It's not a radical move, backing democratically elected governments should be the normal move of American governments. Previous governments were the radical ones.

Virzeth

http://crushable.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/did-i-do-that-steve-urkel-family-matters.gif

Oops. There's bound to be a couple mistakes when you're a new employee.

jzA9AcU.gif

Erevador

It's not a radical move, backing democratically elected governments should be the normal move of American governments. Previous governments were the radical ones.
Tensions in Asia are extremely high right now. This is a de-stabilizing opening bid in an already uncertain relationship with China.

Xi Jinping is so unsure of what the new president is going to do that he's trying to use Henry Kissinger as a go between. This is a tense moment.

Trump just ratcheted up that tension significantly, and did so whilst he is not yet in control of the government, and hasn't even selected a secretary of state.

It IS a radical act, for practical as well as ideological reasons.

BKK

Tensions in Asia are extremely high right now. This is a de-stabilizing opening bid in an already uncertain relationship with China.

Xi Jinping is so unsure of what is the new president is going to do that he's trying to use Henry Kissinger as a go between. This is a tense moment.

Trump just ratcheted up that tension significantly, and did so whilst he is not yet in control of the government, and hasn't even selected a secretary of state.

It IS a radical act, for practical as well as ideological reasons.

No, Xi Jinping is the one ramping up tensions, building huge artificial islands on atolls (which has never been recognised as appropriate under international law), ignoring the one country two systems laws agreed between the UK, HK, and China, and directly interfering in HK issues. Cracking right down on personal rights in China. Xi Jinping is the one out of control, and about time that someone stood up to him.

Erevador

No, Xi Jinping is the one ramping up tensions, building huge artificial islands on atolls (which has never been recognised as appropriate under international law), ignoring the one country two systems laws agreed between the UK, HK, and China, and directly interfering in HK issues. Cracking right down on personal rights in China. Xi Jinping is the one out of control, and about time that someone stood up to him.
Those of us who aren't nostalgic for the height of the cold war would argue that we need to be stronger with China, but not in a way that recklessly creates the kind of panicky uncertainty that terrifies allies and provides fuel for the most anti-American elements in the Chinese government.

Also, the major point is that international policy is being set by someone who isn't yet in control of the government. This leaves both the US and Chinese governments in a bizarre position of not being able to properly respond to each other. This is a strange kind of limbo that I'm trying to think of a precedent for.

Trump needs to be creating an atmosphere of stability rather than leaving the world to believe he is improvising. He needs to appoint a secretary of state NOW, and clarify his foreign policy stances if he's going to start making moves like this.

Kid Heart

Action (and inaction) has consequences.

This is one action among many Trump has made to anger China. For all we know it could be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

But I guess some of you are quite anxious to test that. I'm personally not though.

So your proposal is to escalate tensions with a nuclear power that you need full cooperation from to stabilize a rogue state in the area. Great job being the leader of the free world here.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
There are a lot of areas the US could stand firmer with China on, but I'm not sure what the benefit is of choosing direct official talks with Taiwan as the starting point. Maybe it's good for Trump's business opportunities, but it doesn't serve to do much else beyond antagonize China.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Many people in this thread celebrating this do NOT understand what the One-China policy is actually about... this is not about recognizing Taiwan as independent state, Taiwan itself overwhelming wants to remain the status quo going forward.. not just full independence, while there is still a strong % who would prefer reunification.

Taiwan's view for many years, and still held by some is that THEY should be the government that rules of Mainland China, and not the PRC over them.

It's a complicated, very complicated dispute.

Trump jumping into this and opening it up, before he takes office is a bad move.

See, this is a very naive understanding of what Taiwan is, and what the history of it is.

One of the few mistakes hes made I do not mind. Our policy with Taiwan is counterproductive with how China continually attempts to undermine them. Taiwan has always been an ardent ally and they deserve better.
same thoughts for Hong Kong

Honestly this is probably on purpose tbh, we need to stop thinking everything he does is on accident

KISS, etc.

BKK

Those of us who aren't nostalgic for the height of the cold war would argue that we need to be stronger with China, but not in a way that recklessly creates the kind of panicky uncertainty that terrifies allies and provides fuel for the most anti-American elements in the Chinese government.

Also, the major point is that international policy is being set by someone who isn't yet in control of the government. This leaves both the US and Chinese governments in a bizarre position of not being able to properly respond to each other. This is a strange kind of limbo that I'm trying to think of a precedent for.

Trump needs to be creating an atmosphere of stability rather than leaving the world to believe he is improvising. He needs to appoint a secretary of state NOW, and clarify his foreign policy stances if he's going to start making moves like this.

Fair criticism of Trump (I'm not a fan), but let's not let Xi Jinping get away without being the one who has ramped up all of these tensions, even against traditional allies such as Vietnam.

I grew up during the cold war, China largely kept themselves out of that. The aggresive stance of China under Xi Jinping is unprecedented. UK government and Obama have been massively weak on this, it's about time that somebody stood up to him. He's completely destroying any domestic opposition to himself.

Hmmmm...gonna have read more on the inter workings of the relationships of all three countries. Don't know if this is right or wrong.

pigeon

Banned

http://www.goarmy.com/learn/apply.html

Here you go, buddy! Have fun standing up to the People's Republic of China!

One of the few mistakes hes made I do not mind. Our policy with Taiwan is counterproductive with how China continually attempts to undermine them. Taiwan has always been an ardent ally and they deserve better.

Yeah I'm very confused by this. China forbids US presidents from speaking to Taiwan? And we obey? This is bizarre.

Many people in this thread celebrating this do NOT understand what the One-China policy is actually about... this is not about recognizing Taiwan as independent state, Taiwan itself overwhelming wants to remain the status quo going forward.. not just full independence, while there is still a strong % who would prefer reunification.

Taiwan's view for many years, and still held by some is that THEY should be the government that rules of Mainland China, and not the PRC over them.

Trump jumping into this and opening it up, before he takes office is a bad move.

See, this is a very naive understanding of what Taiwan is, and what the history of it is.

Also, what people do not realize is that the CCP perceives any threat to "One China" doctrine as existential.

They will wildly overreact to this because they have to.

Erevador

As someone who has avoided taking part in Trump hysteria, people who don't understand this situation should realize this is the most genuinely extreme thing he has done by far.

I have always been very concerned about his comments on Asia. Provoking China whilst also failing to strongly backup our Asian allies (Japan and South Korea) is behavior I find extremely worrying.

Our policy towards Asia is our most important long term strategic concern, more important than the Middle East. Blunders in this area will have severe long term consequences.

A credible US stance towards Asia from the new administration must be established quickly and coherently. Failure to do so will sow the seeds of crisis.

Isn't a big part of Trump's platform Fuck China?

Yes but there's the right way to go about it, and the wrong way.

This act shows that he's utterly and fundamentally a reckless commander-in-chief. Something that every single ally of the United States will take note, and they will behave accordingly.

Right a phone call congratulating the president of Taiwan for winning an election is absolutely the same as launching a ground war against China. The left definitely isn't getting ridiculous with their Trump panic at all.

No but let's say that North Korea loses its collective minds and seizes a Japanese vessel by force. What recourse does the U.S. have without bringing China to the negotiation table?

TyrantII

Right a phone call congratulating the president of Taiwan for winning an election is absolutely the same as launching a ground war against China. The left definitely isn't getting ridiculous with their Trump panic at all.

It's not just the left freaking out about this today.

It's hundreds of very smart and established foreign policy officials that have worked in multiple Republican and Democrat Administrations. Sometimes both. These are people with a direct pulse on foriegn policy in the South Pacific since the Nixon administration.

But dont let that get in the way of blaming the left. It's always a good excuse. I look forward to this reasoning for four years as terrible blunders come home to roost.

BKK

So your proposal is to escalate tensions with a nuclear power that you need full cooperation from to stabilize a rogue state in the area. Great job being the leader of the free world here.

North Korea no longer pay any attention to what China says, they have no control over them whatsoever.

There are a lot of areas the US could stand firmer with China on, but I'm not sure what the benefit is of choosing direct official talks with Taiwan as the starting point. Maybe it's good for Trump's business opportunities, but it doesn't serve to do much else beyond antagonize China.

You do realise that US law is that the US must protect Taiwan by supplying them with arms? China is always pissed at US for supplying Taiwan with missiles, Trump chatting to the Taiwanese President first should be expected.

Of course, I'm aware of the complicated situation. The old Chinese offer was have domestic control like Hong Kong and Macau ... we won't interfere .... look how we haven't interfered there. They've obviously given up on that strategy, they interfere left right and centre in Hong Kong and Macau, and changed the domestic Chinese law to be able to invade Taiwan in the case of a declaration of independence.

Yes, I'm sure that many posting here are not aware of the full consequences of any actions, I'm not one of them.

Calamari41

41 > 38
It's not just the left freaking out about this today.

It's hundreds of very smart and established foreign policy officials that have worked in multiple Republican and Democrat Administrations. Sometimes both. These are people with a direct pulse on foriegn policy in the South Pacific since the Nixon administration.

But dont let that get in the way of blaming the left. It's always a good excuse. I look forward to this reasoning for four years as terrible blunders come home to roost.

And if our troops aren't forced to fight on mainland Chinese soil because of this phone call?

djkimothy

did-i-do-that-steve-urkel-family-maters.gif

Oops. There's bound to be a couple mistakes when you're a new employee.

It's funny, cause forgetting to use the new cover page for TPS reports is one thing. Pissing off the second largest economy in the world is another.

Gold star America!

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Yeah I'm very confused by this. China forbids US presidents from speaking to Taiwan? And we obey? This is bizarre.

Not just the US, the list of people with diplomatic ties to Taiwan is quite small. The PRC forbids direct contact with Taiwan's government.

Yeah, from here in the US on a laptop on a gaming forum.. we can say that's some petty ass shit. Yet this is the real world and there's more to it than just a simple phone call.

Also, what people do not realize is that the CCP perceives any threat to "One China" doctrine as existential.

They will wildly overreact to this because they have to.

Yup, though honestly it'll be interesting to see how it plays out, and what effect's it will have long term for relations. It's not just that China needs us economically, they do.. but they would be willing to fuck it all to piss us off.

It could be argued, that as things stand, that the US needs China as much as China needs the US.

d00d3n

It is time folks:
deadzonestillson29essy.jpg

I hope you kept good relations with your racist survivalist uncle this thanksgiving!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
You do realise that US law is that the US must protect Taiwan by supplying them with arms? China is always pissed at US for supplying Taiwan with missiles, Trump chatting to the Taiwanese President first should be expected.
You don't know what you're talking about. There is nothing "expected" about Trump doing something for the first time in 40 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom