• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA EURO 2024 |OT| Es Kommt Nach Hause

calistan

Gold Member
Absolutely agree. These expanded tournaments are to let more teams participate when the exclusivity of it has been one of the draws. It's been very good to watch as a spectator but the players suffer more. This is summer break too so less time to recoup.
I haven't seen any really exciting games yet, bar the last few seconds of Croatia v Italy. There's not much intensity so far. All that happens after the first two weeks is the whipping boys from each group plus the two worst third-place finishers get eliminated.

It's going to be even more tedious at the next World Cup. Forty-eight teams. Eighty games. Only one team per group gets eliminated.

edit: ^ my bad, that's the original Mega World Cup format they proposed. The latest version has 12 groups of 4, 8 third-place teams qualify, and 104 matches in total. I may well give it a miss.

Last edited:

Gp1

Who would have thought that Austria invaded Germany in 2024 ahead of France and the Netherlands.

Happy Julie Andrews GIF by Robert E Blackmon

T8SC

People don't venture out of Off-Topic much it seems. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Anyway, France didn't even top their group! Considering they're the favourites, they now have a much more difficult route to the final and it means England shouldn't face them until the final if they both get there.

One change tonight for England, TAA out, Gallacher in. So we'll continue to have no width on the left. What's wrong with Gordon who's had a great season? Why is Palmer being overlooked? What about Mainoo or Wharton in alongside Rice who I reckon are both better than Gallacher.

Time for another song...

Last edited:

Fret Runner

Hoping for a good performace tonight from England, but shit, the last few games have sank most of the hope/hype.
Ehh scew it, the never ending ride of dissapointment that comes from supporting England will never end. Might aswell enjoy it while we can.
We will win something eventually someday....Maybe...hopefully....Well, the dream will never die atleast.

It's Still coming home though, Logic and Southgate strats be damned!! *pointlessly throws pint up into the air and starts singing Tubthumping*

Fret Runner

Wtf is going on with this team.
We were solid in qualifying and now this?

No spark, No hype, No courage to have a charge through mid field. Just small pass small pass, not working? Ok pass back to defence or GK rinse wash fucking repeat. Fucking hope Slovenia get a goal so these fuckers have to pull their fingers out or get put in the harder part of the tournament and get ass blasted by one of those. Jesus Christ Almighty.

T8SC

Wtf is going on with this team.
We were solid in qualifying and now this?

No spark, No hype, No courage to have a charge through mid field. Just small pass small pass, not working? Ok pass back to defence or GK rinse wash fucking repeat. Fucking hope Slovenia get a goal so these fuckers have to pull their fingers out or get put in the harder part of the tournament and get ass blasted by one of those. Jesus Christ Almighty.

A CL winner, several treble winners, POTY in the EPL and top scorer Bundesliga and we're playing like amateurs. Fingers do need pointed at Southgate. I don't believe they've "downed tools" for the national team.

No width, Foden is always coming inside.
Kane is dropping far too deep he's barely even a striker anymore.
Trippier can't go forward or cross because he's playing on the wrong side.
Gallagher is awful and needs subbed for Mainoo.

Need Gordon brought on for width and Im starting to think not bringing Rashford was a mistake as was not bringing another actual LB since Shaw still isn't fit let alone match fit.

Let's see what happens in the second half. Need to be more confident, no offence Slovenia but they're not Spain or France!

Fret Runner

We have won the group and avoided the harder side so that's something good.
These last 4 games for England have all been a cunning plan to play boringly and then in the knockouts we suddenly show up and take everyone by surprise!
*Huffs copium*
Pretty much this Gif so far for England though.
Bored Come On GIF

Last edited:

T8SC

We’re back to being utter wank again. It was a nice 6 years or so where we actually looked like a good progressive football team.

Same manager too, but I think his selection this time around has just been totally wrong.

We have 1 left back who's injured.
We should've taken Rashford, even though he's had a poor season for United, he offers directness from the left side.
We also should've taken Branthwaite.

Instead, we have Lewis Dunk and Connor Gallacher who are nothing players and in the squad.

It's so unbalanced, no left side at all. I'm hoping Shaw is fit for the next game, but he wont be match fit.

I'd be selecting:

Pickford
Walker, Stones, Guehi, Shaw (If fit)
Mainoo, Rice
Palmer, Foden, Gordon
Watkins

Yep, no Bellingham, Saka & no Kane. They've looked poor in the last 2 games, drop them & bring them on from the bench. Bellingham & Saka were good against Serbia though.

I hope we don't get the Netherlands in the next round, but as Fret Runner Fret Runner says, we've avoided the more difficult side, we just need to actually turn up & perform.

Fret Runner

Should probably add, I'm not bad mouthing the side we have landed in. I'm a England fan so I'm fully aware no matter who we play the other side will play their asses off against us.
Just saying from a "on paper" type angle. Didn't wanna come off as arragant is all lol

Last edited:

T8SC

Should probably add, I'm not bad mouthing the side we have landed in. I'm a England fan so I'm fully aware no matter who we play the other side will play their asses off against us.
Just saying from a "on paper" type angle. Didn't wanna come off as arragant is all lol

You've only repeated what the media are saying anyways and whoever we play, we'll make them look like Brazil from 2002. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fret Runner

Well, just like the last two games, Just gotta hope England finds its stride and starts shining.
A Germany vs England final would be the hypest outcome but that's still a dream stuck in lala land at this point.

To the fellow England fans reading this thread. See you in 5 days so we can all be moany bastards together :messenger_winking:

clarky

Gold Member
The thing is they're just as likely to suddenly remember they have talent and win. It's the hope that kills you.
There is no hope for the current team until Southgate leaves.

I've been self harming with England since the 80's and this is the first time I have actually lost interest. The worst thing that could happen is we scab it to another semi's and he stays on for the world cup. Nightmare fuel.

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah me too but this lot actually have talent unlike some of the dross I've followed. They 'could' come good but I'm not expecting anything.
"If we only had someone to replace K Philips" LOL

2 terrible opening games and his solution is to replace Trent with that donkey Gallagher.

Tells you all you need to know.

Edit: We've had so decent squads over the years, this lot just are not functioning as a team. Its boring.

Last edited:
"If we only had someone to replace K Philips" LOL

2 terrible opening games and his solution is to replace Trent with that donkey Gallagher.

Tells you all you need to know.
Well yeah but the bugger is unfireable as has a better record than anyone since 66. That was before I was born (just!) and I'm fucking old. The players can always ignore him though.

clarky

Gold Member
Well yeah but the bugger is unfireable as has a better record than anyone since 66. That was before I was born (just!) and I'm fucking old. The players can always ignore him though.
Same mate. Problem is we have the best record since '66 in spite of him not because of.

Hopefully things come together but the first decent team we meet and we are getting creamed.

Edit: Always good to meet another survivor, stay strong.

Last edited:

Gp1

Croacia out, the South remembers.

The knockout stage is completely unbalanced. Spain, Germany, France, Portugal and Spain on one side. Italy, Austria, England and 1° from group E (which is a weak group and completely open) on the other.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Yeah probably but none of the 'decent' teams have been all that good either so you never know!
Austria, Ze Germans, Spain, Portugal or maybe France (on a good day). Any of those and its Adios.

We'll need to significantly up our game if we do get the Dutch next.

Croacia out, the South remembers.

The knockout stage is completely unbalanced. Spain, Germany, France, Portugal and Spain on one side. Italy, Austria, England and 1° from group E (which is a weak group and completely open) on the other.
Yup yet another easy run for England, we should be walking to the final with the talent we have. Shame we don't have a functioning team.

Some cracking matches incoming though.

Last edited:
Austria, Ze Germans, Spain, Portugal or maybe France (on a good day). Any of those and its Adios.

Yup yet another easy run for England, we should be walking to the final with the talent we have. Shame we don't have a functioning team.

I totally agree but the thing about england is they can play shit for games on end they suddenly turn in a 5-0 out of nowhere.

peish

Gold Member
England definitely getting into the finals

As good as austria is playing, we knows how it ends when they meet england, 1-2 goals from kane and foden while playing southgate balls

not before taking revenge on italy that makes a good uk press comeback story

Go_Ly_Dow

As good as austria is playing, we knows how it ends when they meet england, 1-2 goals from kane and foden while playing southgate balls

Eh based of these performances I'm not so sure.

All it will take is a team with one or two prolific attackers and they will punish us.

We are barely creating chances against mid teams, so I struggle seeing us past the quarters.

Boozeroony

You have nothing to worry about, mate.

Sybrix

I hope you're right but so far England have been absolute dog shit.

The whole team look so uninterested in playing, that match last night was so boring, no energy at all.

Kane needs to GTFO, not performing at all.

England need a rocket up their arse if they wanna see the quarter finals.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

Comedy poster of the week with 4 days to spare, well done sir.

calistan

Gold Member
Thank god i didn't go to Germany this time id be absolutely fuming.
Have they ever been great to watch in a tournament? You get the odd freak result, but most of the games I can remember since the late 90s were pretty stodgy, and not exactly end-to-end thrillers.

I just googled best England games to see if there were any that had been blasted from my memory by sheer excitement, and found a list that includes qualifying matches, friendlies, and a 13-0 pasting of Ireland in 1882.

clarky

Gold Member
Have they ever been great to watch in a tournament? You get the odd freak result, but most of the games I can remember since the late 90s were pretty stodgy, and not exactly end-to-end thrillers.

I just googled best England games to see if there were any that had been blasted from my memory by sheer excitement, and found a list that includes qualifying matches, friendlies, and a 13-0 pasting of Ireland in 1882.

Plenty of decent tournaments. But yeah we are never consistent. But at least the lads look like they are trying even when they are shit. Most of the time.
Even when weve lost on penalties at least i feel something even if its gut renching heartbreak.

Nothing from the current set up makes me excited or give me hope in the slightest.

They have some great players and the easiest route to the final since, well the world cup lol.
Watch us scab it to semi's. Hopefully not so Southgate can take a walk.

Last edited:

calistan

Gold Member
Plenty of decent tournaments. But yeah we are never consistent. But at least the lads look like they are trying even when they are shit. Most of the time.
Even when weve lost on penalties at least i feel something even if its gut renching heartbreak.

Nothing from the current set up makes me excited or give me hope in the slightest.

They have some great players and the easiest route to the final since, well the world cup lol.
Watch us scab it to semi's. Hopefully not so Southgate can take a walk.
I think Southgate will go regardless - he's getting stuff thrown at him by the fans, I can't see him sticking around after that even if they win it.

What I've seen of the England games so far, the players look like they need a holiday. Weird that they didn't take a fit left-back to the tournament. Maybe they'll improve if Shaw is ready for the next game, he could be the dynamo that they seem to be lacking right now.

clarky

Gold Member
I think Southgate will go regardless - he's getting stuff thrown at him by the fans, I can't see him sticking around after that even if they win it.

What I've seen of the England games so far, the players look like they need a holiday. Weird that they didn't take a fit left-back to the tournament. Maybe they'll improve if Shaw is ready for the next game, he could be the dynamo that they seem to be lacking right now.

Mainoo, Palmer and Gordon should all start for me one way or the other. Gallagher shouldn't even be in the squad.

I dont think we have a left back available right now, Trippier isnt doing well in that spot. Shaws not played since January, massive gamble bringing him. Hopefully he gets fit.

Sorry for the negativity. Hopefully we see a better team on Sunday.

Last edited:
Top Bottom