• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UEFA EURO 2024 |OT| Es Kommt Nach Hause

clarky

Gold Member
It's so unbalanced, no left side at all. I'm hoping Shaw is fit for the next game, but he wont be match fit.

I'd be selecting:

Pickford
Walker, Stones, Guehi, Shaw (If fit)
Mainoo, Rice
Palmer, Foden, Gordon
Watkins

Yep, no Bellingham, Saka & no Kane. They've looked poor in the last 2 games, drop them & bring them on from the bench. Bellingham & Saka were good against Serbia though.
No way Mr cautious plays that team and drops those players. Shame because you're 100% correct.

T8SC

No way Mr cautious plays that team and drops those players. Shame because you're 100% correct.

I feel the issues France have are similar to ours. Everything needs to go through Mbappe for the French and he won't be dropped. We have that with our "superstars" but given how much better we were in the second half (and we were still poor and still against Slovenia) we need to be more dynamic and Palmer / Gordon offers that.
Don't get me wrong, both Palmer & Saka are both very good for the RW but the left side needs fixed and needed fixed last week.

You could line up very similar:

Pickford
Mainoo, Rice
Saka, Bellingham, Gordon
Watkins

Because too many changes can sometimes be too disruptive.

clarky

Gold Member
I feel the issues France have are similar to ours. Everything needs to go through Mbappe for the French and he won't be dropped. We have that with our "superstars" but given how much better we were in the second half (and we were still poor and still against Slovenia) we need to be more dynamic and Palmer / Gordon offers that.
Don't get me wrong, both Palmer & Saka are both very good for the RW but the left side needs fixed and needed fixed last week.

You could line up very similar:

Pickford
Mainoo, Rice
Saka, Bellingham, Gordon
Watkins

Because too many changes can sometimes be too disruptive.
Disruptive is what we need right now and fast.

On paper both your squads look like they could win the whole thing. With impact subs to spare.

Grealish as an option would have been nice also.

Just wait for Gallagher to start again Sunday.

Last edited:

T8SC

Disruptive is what we need right now and fast.

On paper both your squads look like they could win the whole thing. With impact subs to spare.

Grealish as an option would have been nice also.

Just wait for Gallagher to start again Sunday.

Phil Foden has gone home for "family reasons" but will be back for Sunday. Makes you wonder if that will make Southgate change things on the left based on his travelling.

Grealish or Rashford would've been good options. Neither have had great seasons but Shaw hasn't even had a season! I wouldn't even say Gallagher has done anything of note this season either and you're right he'll probably be started over Mainoo for "protection" reasons. Because a Man Utd player needs protected... :messenger_unamused:

clarky

Gold Member
Phil Foden has gone home for "family reasons" but will be back for Sunday. Makes you wonder if that will make Southgate change things on the left based on his travelling.

Grealish or Rashford would've been good options. Neither have had great seasons but Shaw hasn't even had a season! I wouldn't even say Gallagher has done anything of note this season either and you're right he'll probably be started over Mainoo for "protection" reasons. Because a Man Utd player needs protected... :messenger_unamused:
Mrs has gone into labour. Hopefully she pops it out fast because we need him back. lol.

T8SC

Mrs has gone into labour. Hopefully she pops it out fast because we need him back. lol.

I'd be interested to see if it forces Southgates hand due to his travelling.... New left winger (Gordon) and replace Gallacher with Mainoo.... I'd be content with that for the next stage, see how the dynamic works. If Kane still insists on dropping short, bring on Watkins.
Saka Vs Palmer is a nice problem to have though.

FeralEcho

Well Romania,Belgium and Slovakia are in,Ukraine is out.

I'm so extatic my team is in the next round and from top spot in group as well. What a weird ass group though...Every team has 4 points and every team had 1 win 1 loss and 1 draw lmao Has this ever happened before?

Both teams played pretty awful though... Idk what Belgium or Ukraine looked like yet but Romania Slovakia played pretty safe in 2nd round which made for an awful game for a football fan with no stake in it, I would imagine.

I'm glad both my interests are in the next stage. Romania and Belgium.

Last edited:

T8SC

Well Romania,Belgium and Slovakia are in,Ukraine is out.

I'm so extatic my team is in the next round and from top spot in group as well. What a weird ass group though...Every team has 4 points and every team had 1 win 1 loss and 1 draw lmao Has this ever happened before?

Both teams played pretty awful though... Idk what Belgium or Ukraine looked like yet but Romania Slovakia played pretty safe in 2nd round which made for an awful game for a football fan with no stake in it, I would imagine.

I'm glad both my interests are in the next stage. Romania and Belgium.

I remember us discussing the Romanian team before their first game, great effort from them! Really goes to show, a team is more than the sum of their parts. You may not have the Hagi's anymore but you've played well as a team and came out on top, unlike France, Netherlands and Belgium who are overly reliant on their "star" players. (I'd include England too but we won our group).

Looking forward to seeing who plays who in the next round.

2 more games to go. Portugal already through but any of the other 3 can join them.

T8SC

This is what happens when you drop your 41 year old defender. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Can Kvaratskhelia switch nationalities and play on our wing? Think that'd work clarky clarky :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Apparently Chelsea and Liverpool sniffing around him. Conte wants him to stay at Napoli, I wonder why... :unsure:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
So Portugal have rotated the entire team but kept Ronaldo in because I’m guessing his ego won’t allow himself to be on the bench.
He knows that kids in front of a TV want to see him play for Spain. Its like kids in Europe tuning in at night to see MJ play for the Bulls. Some players are bigger than their team. He still is that a lot of people. He knows.

I mean, a kid ran up to him to take a selfie mid game in this tournament and he just played along.

He knows that kids in front of a TV want to see him play for Spain. Its like kids in Europe tuning in at night to see MJ play for the Bulls. Some players are bigger than their team. He still is that a lot of people. He knows.

I mean, a kid ran up to him to take a selfie mid game in this tournament and he just played along.
Martinez has no spine.

T8SC

Why do we have 2 threads for this? Thought i was going insane.

DGrayson DGrayson Could we get a merge with this thread if possible please?

A few of us did post in the other topic on page one to say this thread already existed but ForAcademicPurposes ForAcademicPurposes has continued his topic and ignored this one, so they've both ended up running alongside each other.
But yeah if DGrayson DGrayson could merge the other thread into here that'd be great.

In the meantime time, CR7 is not a happy man! I can see him getting sent off if he carries on, needs subbed before that happens.

Edit: Thanks DGrayson DGrayson 👍

Last edited:

T8SC

Massive congratulations to Georgia. Any neutral fan must surely be cheering them on. Unbelievable achievement.

Look at what it means to them! Like they've just won the tournament. Great to see. If only those select "big" teams played with as much passion.

Edit: England play Slovakia, not The Netherlands. I'll draw up the group stage fixtures shortly.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
smZgXfv.jpeg

clarky

Gold Member
Massive congratulations to Georgia. Any neutral fan must surely be cheering them on. Unbelievable achievement.

Look at what it means to them! Like they've just won the tournament. Great to see. If only those select "big" teams played with as much passion.

Edit: England play Slovakia, not The Netherlands. I'll draw up the group stage fixtures shortly.
I bet it is absolutely bouncing in Georgia right now, i know Portugal had not much skin in that game but still a solid well deserved win.

clarky

Gold Member
Beat me to it. (y)

France Vs Belgium. 👀
Could be the game of the round, but saying that who knows with some of the results so far.

Apart from England not turning up, its been a really good tournament so far. Hardly any trouble as well.

Business end of the comp starts now, pull you fucking socks up Southgate ffs.

Last edited:
Could be the game of the round, but saying that who knows with some of the results so far.

Apart from England not turning up, its been a really good tournament so far. Hardly any trouble as well.

Business end of the comp starts now, pull you fucking socks up Southgate ffs.
I think Kante ran more in one game than Lukaku did in 3. Belgium massive underdog.

clarky

Gold Member
I think Kante ran more in one game than Lukaku did in 3. Belgium massive underdog.
France haven't looked unbeatable by a long shot mate, if youse turn up we should have a great game on our hands.

Was in Belgium earlier in the year with the Mrs. Randomly met an old boy in the boozer and we had a great KDB chat over several beers, very nice people and country.

I'll be rooting for you over the Frogs. Hopefully you can wipe that smile off Mbappe's face for us.

Last edited:

T8SC

Football's back! Group stage, last 16.

Switzerland Vs Italy - 17:00 BST (Olympiastadion Berlin)
Germany Vs Denmark - 20:00 BST (BVB Stadion Dortmund)

Predictions? Will it be the expected result of Italy & Germany progressing or will there be an upset?

I think the Switzerland Vs Italy game will be close but I see Germany, with the home advantage, beating Denmark easily.

Swi 1 - 1 Ita (1-2 AET)
Ger 3 - 1 Den

T8SC

Sometimes, like Real Madrid, even when they're not at their best, some teams just manage to pull it out the bag.

Italy's team must be the worst I've ever seen. From winners to this.
Strange how a lot of their players stopped playing for the National team at around 30-32 which seems young (Immobile, Verratti etc).

FeralEcho

Fully deserved win by Switzerland,probably best match they played at this Euro. They now became one of my favourites at winning this Euro.

Italy played like they just wanted this to be over to just go home...

clarky

Gold Member
Fully deserved win by Switzerland,probably best match they played at this Euro. They now became one of my favourites at winning this Euro.

Italy played like they just wanted this to be over to just go home...
Thie swiss have been decent for sure but i don't think they have the spuds to go all the way.

T8SC

Thie swiss have been decent for sure but i don't think they have the spuds to go all the way.

Agreed and as good as Austria have also been, they essentially need to both get passed England and The Netherlands before the final. Tough shout.

Edit: Just randomly throwing Austria in there as another underdog playing very well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom