• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted (PS4) announced, developed by protozoans and Druckmann's evil karma

Repost cause I winded up at the bottom of the page...

The second act (the Ship Graveyard) was the out-of-place stuff in UC3 cause there was no real story reason. It just got convoluted. Gameplay wise, fun. But story-wise, nonsensical. The third act was great though.

The Desert Trek was sublime. I loved everything from the infiltration of the base to the destruction of Ubar (only wish is that we could have explored more).

But I loved the hallucinations and Drake coming apart near the end. It was a good twist on the "Supernatural Enemy" bit when it could possibly be legit Djinn-infested soldiers or Drake just losing his shit cause of the water.

Cause... King Solomon's vase thing was in the water. Best supernatural aspect of all three games. Ubar was beautiful.

If they're teasing it now I wouldn't be surprised to see a VGAs trailer. Unless the game is really stupid early and this teaser was just a result of Sony/GameTrailers begging for something new to talk about.

I'm pretty sure they included this teaser just to throw people a bone and stop the 'PS4 has no games coming' mantra. As you say I think the proper reveal will be the VGA's.

"Some chains can never be broken. I lost 15 years. Buried alive. Erased. You left me rotting in that hell hole and never looked back. But you can’t outrun the past, and when it catches up, when all your lies collapse around you, I’ll be there sifting through the wreckage. You owe me."

I'm thinking the narrator is one of Drake's friends he knew long ago and now he needs his help or he wants revenge. I think this one will be the one.

That almost sounds like
Dante
from Uncharted: Golden Abyss from how that ended.

rdrr gnr

No pointless 10 minutes desert walk.
No pointless 10 minutes drugued in a market walk
No pointless 10 minutes hallucination at the end of the game.

It could be good!
The market walk was dumb. The hallucination was misused because it should have allowed them to spawn interesting unconventional enemies. But the desert walk? The desert walk was fucking excellent and my favorite section from the game.

Readingaid

Neo Member
This is amazing news I had to get up at 4am for a flight and this just made my week.

You lot are the only nutters on the planet moaning about a new uncharted. Sound like a bunch of fools. These games defined a generation.

I'm ecstatic and with each game the series got better for me, hey shoot me.

Irish

Justin Richmond?

Bleh, I will never forgive him for what he did to the U2 multiplayer.

Interest firmly set at -5.

Pretty fucking much.

Although, I did enjoy the SP in U3. MP will most likely be shit though. I don't get how they ruined the near perfection that was pre-1.05 U2.

B.O.O.M

I really hope this speculation about this being gritty doesn't come to fruition. I already got dark with The Last of Us, which I loved, but I really hope this is more lighthearted. Even moreso than Uncharted 3 which seemed to get a bit too far into drama for me.

The "you owe me" line was delivered somewhat comedically, so here's hoping! :D

I bet anything it's an ex-girlfriend of Drake's who messed up her voice before filming of the teaser trailer thanks to a long night of karaoke

Pistolero

I'm quite anxious regarding the visuals (graphics and animations) of the game. ND must be under one hell of a pressure to impress...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I've noticed that the defense of Uncharted 3 is that my bar was set too high.

It's the same empty argument that's been routinely used in defence of Uncharted 3 against criticism since the game came out, despite plenty of people politely explaining that they just didn't have as much fun with Uncharted 3 over Uncharted 2 because they thought it was a lesser game, not because it didn't meet some impossible expectation standard.

It's the same empty argument that's been routinely used in defence of Uncharted 3 against criticism since the game came out, despite plenty of people politely explaining that they just didn't have as much fun with Uncharted 3 over Uncharted 2 because they thought it was a lesser game, not because it didn't meet some impossible expectation standard.
Not having as much fun with U3 doesn't make it a bad game. Which is what U3 defenders take issue with.

That was fine, considering the events leading up to it and after. UC3 just amped it up to try to play its story.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Tibetan village in UC2 and what it did for the pacing, but UC3 overused the "cinematic walking" scenario. It dulls the impact of the moments when you can count 4 different "hold 'forward' to narrative for 5-10 minutes" scenes. Uncharted 2 timed all (or most) of that stuff perfectly. Uncharted 3 did everything in excess (except the length of the game which was like 3 hours shorter)

Seregil

I just hope if there is another lost, ancient mystical, city that we find that we spend more than 3 chapters in the game there before blowing the whole place up. Should have to spend a large segment of the game there exploring and solving puzzles.

Or they could do something other than a city and I'd be fine with that (more like Uncharted 1).

Bishop89

cant believe ppl think uncharted 3 'sucks'
Considering its pretty much the same thing minus the crappy mp as uncharted 2 AND that it is also a critical marvel.

Regarding the teaser...to me, it sounds like the villain is speaking to drake.

Yes, I'd say it's bullshit.

I enjoyed Uncharted 3 after the aim fix, but it was just not as good, in ways which a discerning gamer could point out without much of a problem. You know, less inventive/varied battle design, less story flow, lack of a satisfying resolution, too many "press-forward" chases/etc., etc.

So I'd say while reactions a-la "it's by U3 people, U3 sucks, unexcited" are way off, so are "oh your expectations were just too high" and similar.

Gorillaz

Hoping it is definitely more Island themed like the first. Would love to see something give farcry 3 a run for its money in the island envirnoment

cant believe ppl think uncharted 3 'sucks'
Considering its pretty much the same thing minus the crappy mp as uncharted 2 AND that it is also a critical marvel.

Regarding the teaser...to me, it sounds like the villain is speaking to drake.

I thought it was better than 1 but not as good as 2. But all 3 are great games.

LuuKyK

This is a deja vu of the The Last of Us reveal thread. "Another zombie game?" Only that now the zombies part is being replaced by Uncharted. Ugh. Give time to time guys. Lets see the game first shall we?

Famassu

I liked Uncharted 3 but had a lot of problems with the pacing, encounters, and level design, so it was a lesser game in every respect to Uncharted 2. But I also don't think Uncharted 2 is close to being god's gift to gaming either, and had its own share of problems, so it's not like knowing the director is that of Uncharted 3 will turn me off Uncharted 4. I've enjoyed every game enough to know I'll grab the fourth, eventually.

If they're teasing it now I wouldn't be surprised to see a VGAs trailer. Unless the game is really stupid early and this teaser was just a result of Sony/GameTrailers begging for something new to talk about.
I don't see how this could be super-early. They've got two teams now and even if they juggle some workforce around between the two teams as the development of their separate games advances at different phases, Uncharted 3 was released 2 years ago already. This will probably be a November/December 2014 or Q1 2015 release in the worst case scenario, they should have something worth showing already.

Lightning

Banned
That part is fine though. I beg to differ on it but the question only comes when it gets labeled as a bad game. UC2 was one of the greatest games of last gen so not meeting up to that standard is some peoples eyes is fine but that doesn't make it a bad game.

There are several games you can call bad games but Uncharted 3 surely cannot fall into this category despite not meeting the UC2 standards in some peoples opinions.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Not having as much fun with U3 doesn't make it a bad game. Which is what U3 defenders take issue with.

I have made giant posts deconstructing why I think it's a bad game, going over specific things like gameplay pacing to the enemy layouts and how cheap they can get. UC3 is frequently a game I was outright frustrated playing. It typically gets met with a few agreements and a lot of "you're just bad at it" or things of that ilk, so I gave up.

I just don't see what it is about UC3 or high budget games in general that makes people just think it cannot possibly be bad.

Kosma

Banned
Im playing UC3 right now and only finished UC2 last month for the first time.

3 is definately a big step down from 2, but its still a good game. It just feels more disjointed then 2 so far.

2 is prob one of the best games of this gen, 3 in comparison is just good.

Spinluck

Lol, people calling UC3 shit.

They're basically the same game with different pacing. And UC3 had a better story.

Crymoar.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Here's hoping for the trailer at the VGAs. The teaser was about as weak as it could be, but I couldn't be happier that they are continuing this series on PS4. First ND series that I don't ever want to stop.

Top Bottom