• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn: New Trailer Lets You Take Control

dreamfall

This game is going to be so much fun. I can't wait to make horrible choices that leave everyone dead in very gruesome ways!

So even in the review copy, the game's frame rate still looks rough as arseholes. Disappointing. That's going to be a major sticking point when the reviews drop.

I don't know, I played the demo at PSX and I didn't have any issues, but I'm also not sensitive to framerate. However, I can say that this is not an action game where enemies and objects are coming at you from all angles, so dips in framerate might not be as big of a deal to most people.

Super excited for this!

semiconscious

Gold Member
I'm more worried that the choices won't make any sense when it comes to the outcome.

Like, do I stay and fight with no weapons, or run? Say I run but the killer ends up in front of me or something, knocks me down and butchers me. Running seems like the smart choice, but really if I stayed and fought, the killer would have made a mistake, I gained the upper hand and the killer runs away.

I dunno, it's hard to explain. I just wonder if the choices will be logical or like...I don't know I can't explain it very well.

i think you've explained it very well. & i agree: as completely random as the results of your actions (run / hide) become, is as much a complete crap shoot, or coin flip, your actual 'choices' turn out to be. for example, having a character die because, say, she chooses to hide under a bed rather than in a closet? i'm not seeing myself being very satisfied with something like that...

Loudninja

New trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbiD901kH_s

New trailer’re back again with another Until Dawn trailer for you! Once again the focus is on the Butterfly Effect and how your choices will directly influence the events in the game.

There are literally thousands of paths that you can take through Until Dawn, with some branches of the narrative more complex than others. We’re estimating that, for most players, people will see less than half of the content included on the disc the first time that they play it. What’s more, we’re pretty confident that everyone’s experience of it will be slightly different.

Supermassive Games has done an excellent job in building a game that can play out in countless different ways – every scene had to be written, recorded and put into the game in a way that works and makes sense even if certain characters have died. It’s a monumental undertaking and we’ve been bowled over by how they achieved it.

You’ll have more choice than ever seen before in a videogame about how your story plays out. Will you try to kill everyone off and revel in their untimely deaths, or will you make sure that everyone survives Until Dawn?

There is no right or wrong way to play, no ‘good’ or ‘bad’ ending, the most important thing in Until Dawn is the story your decisions make. We can’t wait to get it into your hands.
http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2015...id=633677605267353601&adbpl=tw&adbpr=36969785

Pilgrimzero

In the "You Choose" trailer its kind of funny that doing what I would consider the "bad choice" turned out as the best option for her.

I originally chose "Defense" thus arming herself. This seemed to the middle of the road choice. Next I chose "stay in the bathroom, which got her killed. Then the Explore option, which she went into the basement like an idiot which ended up with her one upping the bad guy and escaping.

So as for the actual game it would seem that "making smart decisions" doesn't always mean it's the best option.

That trailer was amazing. Cant wait to play it with my friend.
BTW about the OT title, as im pretty sure the game is gonna play meta with horror movies and you would probably have to subvert tropes for your characters to survive, so some of the rules given on the Scream movies would work amazingly well.
Something like:
-Until Dawn |OT| Rule N°1: Never have sex.
-Until Dawn |OT| "I'll be right back"
-Until Dawn |OT| Virgins can die now.

Would be cool

border

So as for the actual game it would seem that "making smart decisions" doesn't always mean it's the best option.

That's kind of why I object to their "No backtracking, no reloading old saves" rule. If the consequences of any decision are completely arbitrary then why should I be absolutely forced to deal with them? it just seems like a capricious way to make people spend more time with the game.

Am_I_Evil

thinking i may wait until (closer to) Halloween to pick this up...too much backlog now and hopefully a sale between now and then...

F4r0_Atak

I look forward to a FAQ that has the paths to lead to all deaths. Surely there is a trophy for dying all possible ways right?

Based on their last interview with Polygon... there could be hundreds if not thousands of different ways to mess up and kill the characters. Personally, I don't expect such a FAQ, as no two people will have the same thing happening (unless they each follow the same path and take the exact same decision).

So even in the review copy, the game's frame rate still looks rough as arseholes. Disappointing. That's going to be a major sticking point when the reviews drop.

Is it that bad that it can't be fixed? Or some kind of day 1 update to alleviate those issues?

The game will flop because it's the type of game TellTale sells for $25, except priced at $60. Reviews will more than likely trounce it for being a "play once, then put it down forever" affair. It's supposed to be centered around replayability, which is completely at odds with the "You have to start over from the beginning every time" dogma they're also pushing.

I also think that allowing Redbox to carry the game is going to crush sales. I know I'm not buying this for $60 when I can probably beat it in a few evenings.

Telltale's games are usually rough around the edges, except when it comes to story and characters. Until Dawn will hopefully offer more than just production values (graphics, musics, real actors)... but based on the latest interviews, the entry price could actually be worth it. As for the replayability, the fact that the games unfolds on so many branches (hundreds?thousands?), the game would have to allow manual saves for every little choices/details you make/take, which would in turn affect the player's whole experience by asking to save every 2 mins. Hence why you have to start from the beginning in order to differ your path, since all choices are important to the story's end.

I think making the choices / consequences not so obvious is a good decision. If it was so obvious, the game would be too easy to save everyone.

It's great to not truly know what will happen and should make replaying the game more fun too.

Alo0oy

Banned
In the "You Choose" trailer its kind of funny that doing what I would consider the "bad choice" turned out as the best option for her.

I originally chose "Defense" thus arming herself. This seemed to the middle of the road choice. Next I chose "stay in the bathroom, which got her killed. Then the Explore option, which she went into the basement like an idiot which ended up with her one upping the bad guy and escaping.

You're not supposed to know which decision will save your life, not unless you collect the collectibles & totems to get hints on the correct decision.

border

As for the replayability, the fact that the games unfolds on so many branches (hundreds?thousands?), the game would have to allow manual saves for every little choices/details you make/take, which would in turn affect the player's whole experience by asking to save every 2 mins. Hence why you have to start from the beginning in order to differ your path, since all choices are important to the story's end.

Not allowing you to reload saves is a lot like permadeath -- it's just a cheap way to increase a player's sense of value by making them slog through the early sections of a game again and again just to see how decisions play out in the later sections.

You don't have to give people frequent, unlimited save reloads, but at least let them set a few anchors throughout the game just say they can satisfy certain curiousities. How about only 1 save per hour played? How about you can only reload an old save a limited number of times? The system they have in place is too harsh in my opinion.

Kiro

I have this game pre-ordered for around 40 dollars, but I can't quite decide if I should follow through with the purchase. It looks good, but I'm not sure if I'll love it. After playing one maybe two paths I feel like I'd never want to play again. The only upside I could see is that friends who aren't good at games would enjoy this. Anyone want to attempt to convince me to keep this purchase? :p

Pilgrimzero

You're not supposed to know which decision will save your life, not unless you collect the collectibles & totems to get hints on the correct decision.

Whats frustrating is it means your choices don't really matter. You may as well flip a coin.

In Scream, the horror movie fan guy said something like "The girl always heads upstairs when she should be heading out the front door."

Which is true for horror movies. The victims typically do the dumbest things and get killed for their idiocy. "Lets split up!" "I'll be right back!" "Lets have sex!" etc

In this game, "going out the front door" has just as much chance of getting you killed as "going up stairs".

Which I get it's a game and a horror movie so if every character acted intelligently and thus got a good result the game would be boring.

So I see it both ways

Kinsei

Banned

My thoughts in the trailer were that
Exploring could give me more information on what I'm up against and allow me to better defend myself.
I ended up being right.

If the Gamestop trailer was also interactive I would have chosen to defend myself as in real life I would rather take my chances relying on myself than leave it up to a 50/50 chance of a road leading me to safety.

There does seem to be a logic to these choices.

Loakum

Banned
I'm definitely looking forward to playing this game before my scheduled Jury Duty, and before MGSV TPP's release. :)

$h@d0w

The game will flop because it's the type of game TellTale sells for $25, except priced at $60. Reviews will more than likely trounce it for being a "play once, then put it down forever" affair. It's supposed to be centered around replayability, which is completely at odds with the "You have to start over from the beginning every time" dogma they're also pushing.

I also think that allowing Redbox to carry the game is going to crush sales. I know I'm not buying this for $60 when I can probably beat it in a few evenings.

I'd pay $60 if the save system didn't randomly lose your saves.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Additionally, Gamestop posted another trailer on their facebook and it's fucking awesome. Update: Here's the youtube link!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-l89xrOLWA4&feature=youtu.be

The use of that Robert Frost poem is amazing. Excellent trailer.

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

I kind of like those twists, it's sure to keep the game very interesting and make people replay it.

They need to send some copies to LP'ers, because this game seems like it will translate well in a Let's Play video.

Let Pewdiepie play the game, and you get yourself 2 million people watched your game in a day or two.

I definitely liked the Gamestop trailer a lot. I kind of dismissed this game when it was first announced but now I feel as though I should put this on the top of my list of games to get. Looks like a fun romp.

drotahorror

If you think about it, exploring was the best choice (except for maybe defense). You stay in the bathroom, there's no exits. You're dead. You defend and maybe have a chance. Or do you exit the bathroom and try to gtfo?

If someone broke in my home and I was in the bathroom I wouldn't stay in the bathroom.

antitrop

They need to send some copies to LP'ers, because this game seems like it will translate well in a Let's Play video.

Let Pewdiepie play the game, and you get yourself 2 million people watched your game in a day or two.
There is no doubt that at least Markiplier will get his hands on this.

Not that I care to watch his stuff, it's just good for the exposure.

stryke

Wasn't there some commotion about PDP decided not to do horror games anymore when people wanted him to play Five Nights at Freddies? Sony will probably have to pay up.

Alo0oy

Banned
Whats frustrating is it means your choices don't really matter. You may as well flip a coin.

In Scream, the horror movie fan guy said something like "The girl always heads upstairs when she should be heading out the front door."

Which is true for horror movies. The victims typically do the dumbest things and get killed for their idiocy. "Lets split up!" "I'll be right back!" "Lets have sex!" etc

In this game, "going out the front door" has just as much chance of getting you killed as "going up stairs".

Which I get it's a game and a horror movie so if every character acted intelligently and thus got a good result the game would be boring.

So I see it both ways

No, if you explore, collect hidden totems, notes...etc, you get hints on what might lie ahead. Including a "vision" on what might actually cause your death.

If you want more than that, then this game is probably not for you, this is a "choose your own adventure" type of game, telling you what the correct decision is in advance would ruin that, there is no right choice in this game, if a character dies, then that's your story for that playthrough,I don't want this to be a telltale game where your choices don't mean anything just to avoid random outcomes, random outcomes are part of the fun. The strength of this genre should be the flexibility of the story, otherwise this might as well have been a movie.

omonimo

Banned
I don't think I've seen enough about this game, but everything I have seen makes it just look like Heavy Rain or some other full length quick time event. Is there something I've missed? Can't understand why people are so excited.
Don't ask me. I hoped in a good survival horror game indeed. QTE everywhere. Good for who appreciate game like this. But it's definitely a big missed opportunity IMHO.

Pilgrimzero

No, if you explore, collect hidden totems, notes...etc, you get hints on what might lie ahead. Including a "vision" on what might actually cause your death.

If you want more than that, then this game is probably not for you, this is a "choose your own adventure" type of game, telling you what the correct decision is in advance would ruin that, there is no right choice in this game, if a character dies, then that's your story for that playthrough,I don't want this to be a telltale game where your choices don't mean anything just to avoid random outcomes, random outcomes are part of the fun. The strength of this genre should be the flexibility of the story, otherwise this might as well have been a movie.

We agree sort of. The choice IS random from a certain pov. Such as doing the safe option can still get you killed.

Playing "safely" or "intelligently" doesn't actually give you a better chance at survival.

Top Bottom