• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn: New Trailer Lets You Take Control

antitrop

Heh. Don't even have to wait for the review to know how he feels about it.

"If there was ever a game to validate having a GameFly subscription, this seems like it."

"I urge you, Until Dawn kids: Don't go on that winter getaway. It seems like a lot of fun, but it won't be. It's not all drinking and partying and sexing."

That second quote seems more like a warning to the reading audience than a warning to the fictional characters of the game.

Three

In the "You Choose" trailer its kind of funny that doing what I would consider the "bad choice" turned out as the best option for her.

I originally chose "Defense" thus arming herself. This seemed to the middle of the road choice. Next I chose "stay in the bathroom, which got her killed. Then the Explore option, which she went into the basement like an idiot which ended up with her one upping the bad guy and escaping.

So as for the actual game it would seem that "making smart decisions" doesn't always mean it's the best option.

Judging by that and the other more awesome trailer

https://youtu.be/-l89xrOLWA4

It seems the brave thing to do is the right choice. I just hope that you can learn things about time and location ( where people are at certain times or where objects are around the house) that help you make better/smarter decisions on your second playthrough or other characters instead of it being luck.

Lingitiz

Like Life is strange probably, I don't expect critical acclaim like Heavy Rain. Although the press might surprise me this time.

It'll be interesting to see since this is the first $60 retail game of this type since Beyond. Life is Strange and the Telltale stuff get away with a little extra on account of being episodic budget games.

It'll be interesting to see since this is the first $60 retail game of this type since Beyond. Life is Strange and the Telltale stuff get away with a little extra on account of being episodic budget games.

Except I almost feel bad for not having payed $60 for Life is Strange. If more games were that well written, and thoughtful I would be less cynical as a gamer. :p

Alo0oy

Banned

Beyond's metacritic is only slightly below Life is Strange, so if this game avoid the pitfalls of that game, I can see it doing better critically.

"If there was ever a game to validate having a GameFly subscription, this seems like it."

"I urge you, Until Dawn kids: Don't go on that winter getaway. It seems like a lot of fun, but it won't be. It's not all drinking and partying and sexing."

That second quote seems more like a warning to the reading audience than a warning to the fictional characters of the game.

I noticed these comments too. It's a little worrying.

I have a feeling that some reviewers will probably hate the game due to the nature of the plot. They might have issues with the shallowness of the plot and characters. Then there will be those that absolutely adore the teen slashers of the 80's and 90's and find the game spot on and review it favorably. I think I'll end up being the latter, not because I'm a fan of the genre, but because my younger brother and older sister (the latter of who does not even play or like video games) got excited when I showed them the PSX playthrough. My sister, especially, is the typical yelling-at-the-screen viewer, and questioning characters' intelligence. This will allow her to put up or shut up. I think I will have lots of fun with this.

BashNasty

I have a feeling that some reviewers will probably hate the game due to the nature of the plot. They might have issues with the shallowness of the plot and characters. Then there will be those that absolutely adore the teen slashers of the 80's and 90's and find the game spot on and review it favorably. I think I'll end up being the latter, not because I'm a fan of the genre, but because my younger brother and older sister (the latter of who does not even play or like video games) got excited when I showed them the PSX playthrough. My sister, especially, is the typical yelling-at-the-screen viewer, and questioning characters' intelligence. This will allow her to put up or shut up. I think I will have lots of fun with this.

I love the idea of this game going for the cheesy 80's slasher vibe, I just really hope it does that well. I really, really hope this bad boy is good, but I'm definitely gonna be waiting for reviews on it.

Playing it right now and wish I could talk about it. I'll say this, we're going to have a lot to talk about this one.

Not sure if it's positive or negative....

162585-Royal-Tenenbaums-Bill-Murray-w-1rKQ.gif

I don't know, seems pretty lighthearted to me, at least in terms of the article text. It's written to convey a sense of foreboding through an almost sarcastic delivery. No positives or negatives to glean without stretching for it.

The author also makes it clear right in the article that he isn't the one playing it or reviewing it, so there's little reason to suspect thinly-veiled subliminal hate towards the game for the readers to pick up on.

It's been a while since I read Destructoid (like, five or six years), so how cohesive their new writing team is and how much they agree with one another in terms of reviews, I don't know. I do agree with the tone of the author in the comments, though-- and perhaps that's why the article comes across differently considering.

I'm not really expecting it to review that well across the board either way, but outside of widely-reported technical issues or glaring, universally-recognized faults, I won't really take reviews into consideration regardless.

eFKac

Expecting a metacritic of 67-70, but that does not detract from my excitement, I really liked a 63 meta game from this year.

I'm going to say it's pretty much impossible to complete this game with all eight characters surviving to the end, even if you are skilled enough to evade the killer repeatedly, the game will inevitably put you in a situation where you must choose between two characters which one of them will have the chance to escape.

After all, a slasher movie where the killer does not kill at all is pointless.

A streamer on twitch via live from playstation is playing the game now. His PSN is AUT_Darkmen66, The subtitles are German. I would post link but don't have my laptop or tablet. I am on my vita atm.

A streamer on twitch via live from playstation is playing the game now. His PSN is AUT_Darkmen66, The subtitles are German. I would post link but don't have my laptop or tablet. I am on my vita atm.

Nice. I'm not going to watch because I've already seen too much, but if someone could post some non-spoiler impressions that would be great.

I won't watch it, but I'd like to know his general feelings towards the game so far, quality wise.

Nice. I'm not going to watch because I've already seen too much, but if someone could post some non-spoiler impressions that would be great.
looks really good even with the crappy 720p stream quality. It looks very cinematic and movie like. Right now there is allot of bonding between characters and choices being made im guessing that will have a outcome on the future. This is a game I would much rather watch then play.

Dinjooh

K266inh.jpg

So apparently there's a 'What your friends have chosen' feature. Or.. the world? Not sure.

Haven't seen that mentioned before.

looks really good even with the crappy 720p stream quality. It looks very cinematic and movie like. Right now there is allot of bonding between characters and choices being made im guessing that will have a outcome on the future. This is a game I would much rather watch then play.

Oh man, the german voices changes the tone of this game completely.

This turned from a slasher to a sitcom.

'Ahh, sheisse!'

Sounds very promising.

kubus

Been watching this screen now for about 30 minutes on the PlayStation NL official Until Dawn livestream, lol.

They just keep playing too like they don't know even know their stream isn't working.

Is this the "blocked scene" screen btw? Would be hilarious

UberTag

1. Slowly walk forward
2. Chose left or right
3. Press button to pick sth. up or to survive QTE

That is everything he's doing for the past two hours. You don't have dialogue options as far as I can tell.
This is a choose your own adventure slasher movie with excessive padding and jump scares.
So long as you go into the game with those expectations I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I do hope there's a way to disable that stopwatch ticking during QTEs as I find it's distracting and takes away from the atmosphere of the action sequences.

Dinjooh

Been watching this screen now for about 30 minutes on the PlayStation NL official Until Dawn livestream, lol.

They just keep playing too like they don't know even know their stream isn't working.

Is this the "blocked scene" screen btw? Would be hilarious

HuscD2L.gif

1. Slowly walk forward
2. Chose left or right
3. Press button to pick sth. up or to survive QTE

That is everything he's doing for the past two hours. You don't have dialogue options as far as I can tell.

That's pretty much what I'm expecting though? So long as your choices actually impact the game in a meaningful way (unlike Beyond) I should be good.

kubus

lol, basically this

They've been at it for about an hour now - still no image. I think the content is locked or something (could be because the game isn't supposed to be out yet) or they keep trying to stream a blocked scene. Either way, it is is both sad and hilarious that PlayStation can't get a stream of their own game on their system to work :p

edit: they just said they're cancelling the live stream. loool

That's pretty much what I'm expecting though? So long as your choices actually impact the game in a meaningful way (unlike Beyond) I should be good.

There are still a lot of "fake" choices though. Just like in HR or BTS.
It looks amazing but for me it's a rental. Replay value doesn't seem high because there a lots of "forced slow walking"- moments.
It seems more like a movie where you can change or replace scenes.

There are still a lot of "fake" choices though. Just like in HR or BTS.
It looks amazing but for me it's a rental. Replay value doesn't seem high because there a lots of "forced slow walking"- moments.
It seems more like a movie where you can change or replace scenes.

Personally I'm fine with "forced slow walking". I mean that's a big part of what these games are. However, I can definitely understand why someone would want to rent this.

Just saw Playstation Taiwan's Facebook post this, it seems like a good image for the OT

11885678_965453046830vgygr.jpg

I gotta say, they totally nailed the creepiness with the killer.

Top Bottom