• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Until Dawn - Review Thread

Roronoa

Banned
When Beyond came out and I saw the review scores, I figured that reviewers were just over the whole story-driven cinematic adventure game thing. But then Life is Strange came out and got strong reviews, and this is coming out and getting strong reviews.

Guess Beyond was just bad.

people wanted something that Beyond wasn't. They wanted Heavy Rain 2.0 with branching paths and characters possibly dying.

Beyond was just a straight-up adventure. The whole point was Jodie's journey, not selecting which path to take to see this and not see the other one. It was very clear that Quantic Dream wasn't going for it full-force. If they did, it would've been like Heavy Rain.

Anyway, I am glad there are zero posts so far asking if this game is actually a game or a movie.

Wow this came out of nowhere I'm going to have to pick this up. What a perfect game to play with a group of friends.

It always looked great, but I can understand why some were sceptical after an earlier misfire from Sony with the game that shall not be named.

I mean, all signs were good when they weren't afraid of showing off the game. Any time a developer actively shows off their game as much as SMG did, you know you''re on a winner or at least a thoroughly enjoyable and memorable experience.

Vitor711

Looks like a good game to experience with the gf. She has no interest in video games but always wanting to watch horror movies.

Ha, was thinking the same thing. Especially as she's a horror fan. I'll likely pick it up after Halloween once it inevitably gets a hefty price drop.

Was expecting 6s and 5s, the scores are a pleasant surprise.

Nemesis_

so excited!!!!!! Can't wait to get drunk and play this with buddies over the weekend....how much do we actually have to walk around and stuff? I'm actually hoping for a gore/QTE fest....that way it makes everyone screaming decisions easier XD

There is more Gameplay in it than you would imagine. It actually surprised me

What's wrong with using metacritic?

It tries to interpret a variety of different review scales into a 100 point scale - some of which don't translate - to give a final seal of how good a game is which people on the Internet decide is law and publishers make buisness decisions from.

You could argue that the onus is on the publishers, but I'm not giving that website clicks. I think the better way to do it is find websites you like. Besides another thing is metacritic pulls in small websites that contribute to the score.

HockeyDud

Neo Member
Everyone got an email with the game that says when the embargo lifts. And unless Sony sent a ninja email over the weekend, nothing changed. :)

Just confused why the reviews were published ahead of embargo. I could have published our review on the weekend if that was the case. Bwahaha!

Looks like IGN jumped the gun and obviously, once the biggest site of them all breaks the embargo, might as well throw up your review as well since you already know whose getting all the clicks.

so excited!!!!!! Can't wait to get drunk and play this with buddies over the weekend....how much do we actually have to walk around and stuff? I'm actually hoping for a gore/QTE fest....that way it makes everyone screaming decisions easier XD
Don't know. All the trailers have shown choices and QTE's. I assume they might do a Walking Dead thing and the moving around might be just to talk to people but we shall see.

kubus

Ok that covers all reviews published so far I guess.

I'm sorry zakislam for going ahead and keep editing - I didn't notice our threads were merged until I was already done. You don't seem to be around though so I'll just keep going for now. Let me know if you want to move everything to your post or something.

Gurish

Pretty expected reviews after the good impressions by GAF, I'm expecting this to settle on 77 MC, which is good for such a AAA title.

If it was episodic and cheaper it would be 85 easily imo.

BiggNife

IGN noted that the story took a sharp left turn in the second half into something silly.

I wonder if it means that the game tries pulling a Cabin in The Woods thing and failed.

Yeah, the way this game seems to be embracing horror cliches I fully expect it to pull a Cabin in the Woods. Which...I dunno. I don't think that's the kind of story that can be pulled off successfully a second time.

CREMSteve

I have to work out of town all week, but I will get this on Friday night, can't wait. Anyone in Alberta know of any deals? I'm in Grande Prairie, Red Deer, Calgary and Okotoks this week.

VanWinkle

Pretty expected reviews after the good impressions by GAF, I'm expecting this to settle on 77 MC, which is good for such a AAA title.

Why do you think that? Only two reviews so far are below 77 (70 with Rocket Chainsaw and 75 with IGN) and plenty are around 90.

I mean, it could go south but thus far things are looking very good for it.

Circinus

I'm surprised critics are liking the game.

I expected it to be much more divisive.

Anyway, definitely not interested in this game personally, but good to hear that it's probably a decent game for people that like campy horror games.

I understand because The Order's a game and this is a game too. I suppose you were really surprised by the MGS5 scores because that's a game too and scored better than The Order.

I think people are just saying they expected another pretty exclusive that didn't have the gameplay to back it up.

For those who didn't follow it closely, it does have some of the trappings as Order. An abundance of QTEs, story driven, stunning visuals. It's not surprising some people will compare the two.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Also yeah, embargo is well and truly up in Australia. Dropped nearly 45 minutes ago actually.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
It seems legit to say that this game will at least do better than Sonys last exclusive game The Order..

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Is this becoming a meme? What the hell does The Order have to do with anything? Who cares if it does or doesn't do better than The Order? Can I just toss out other Sony exclusives on the PS4 and critique/praise Until Dawn for failing/beating it (whatever the heck that means).

I apologize, I meant full retail..and also full hype train..

Still wrong.

Tratorn

I think people are just saying they expected another pretty exclusive that didn't have the gameplay to back it up.

For those who didn't follow it closely, it does have some of the trappings as Order. An abundance of QTEs, story driven, stunning visuals. It's not surprising some people will compare the two.

It is, because they're in totally different genres. Why don't they compare it with Heavy Rain or Life is Strange?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Kinda pissed sony didn't support this game much.

It has been all over YouTube in press previews/demos, they've had multiple conference appearances including mainstage at PSX and there have been a ton of ads released stressing the nature of the game. Nevermind allowing a studio that hasn't worked on a game this size before to completely RETOOL the game for a bigger splash on the PS4.

Percy

Banned
Was sure reviewers would be lining up to shit all over this game... guess not :/

Suppose that's a lesson in assumptions to learn for me. Will be renting the game on friday so me and the SO can play it over the weekend. Good to hear we might actually have a good time doing so. Been too long since I played a decent horror title.

"Bububu The Order!" posts getting so tired in discussions about this game btw. The two games have nothing to do with each other beyond being Sony published, so at this point it feels more like warrior shitposting than anything imo.

Top Bottom